HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 8:09 PM

Costco

I'm hearing more rumbling about a Costco in West Fargo at I94 & Veteran's Boulevard (57th Street). Anyone have any firm news regarding this "rumor"?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 4:27 PM
BANNED

I would be more excited if Trader Joe's was coming to Fargo

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
I'm hearing more rumbling about a Costco in West Fargo at I94 & Veteran's Boulevard (57th Street). Anyone have any firm news regarding this "rumor"?
I've heard from an unspecified but reliable source that Costco is indeed coming to the location south of I-94 and west of Veteran's Boulevard; no idea on a timeline but it sounds like it's pretty certain.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 2:07 PM

Costco.....Please

Costco eyes West Fargo location
WEST FARGO – North Dakota might get its first Costco Wholesale in the not-so-distant future. But don’t get too excited: That’s still a pretty big “maybe.”
By: Kristen Daum, INFORUM

WEST FARGO – North Dakota might get its first Costco Wholesale in the not-so-distant future.

But don’t get too excited: That’s still a pretty big “maybe.”

The Washington-based retail giant has recently scouted potential locations in the metro area – with a particular eye on a prime piece of undeveloped real estate in West Fargo.

For about a month, Costco representatives have been talking with a local developer about available land southwest of the Interstate 94 interchange at Veterans Boulevard, Senior Planner Steve Zimmer said Tuesday.

Costco sells items in bulk to customers who purchase store memberships, much like its main competitor, Sam’s Club.

Zimmer said Costco contacted the city earlier this summer to check whether local ordinances met the company’s desires.

Beyond that, the conversations have been mostly between Costco representatives and the developer, Zimmer said.

The potential location is in an up-and-coming area called “The Preserve” – more than 500 acres of farm land that’s planned for a mix of residential, commercial, school, park and religious properties.

The first subdivisions of the development – Mapleridge and South Pond – are already under construction.

The potential Costco property would be in the North Pond at The Preserve.

Neither Costco nor Dan Bueide, the Fargo attorney representing the majority property owners of The Preserve, would comment on any potential conversations between them.

City officials don’t know whether Costco will indeed come to the metro, but they’ve heard the same floating rumors around town.

“As far as anybody in the city, we don’t have a definite confirmation either way,” Zimmer said.

West Fargo Commissioner Lou Bennett said he knew of the conversations, but “nothing official is being released yet.”

West Fargo leaders have been hoping for at least two years that a big-box retailer would locate to the Veterans Boulevard corridor – one of the few remaining expanses of land left for development in West Fargo.

However, given the economic recession, national retailers have been reluctant to open new stores.

Costco Wholesale operates 428 locations in the United States.

The nearest stores to the Fargo-Moorhead area are at least four hours away in either the Twin Cities or Winnipeg, Manitoba

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 10:17 PM
still here

Check this out:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/331111/

pretty amazing stuff if you ask me

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest View Post
Check this out:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/331111/

pretty amazing stuff if you ask me
Wow the video looks impressive, especially the brief glimpse of what must be the second phase.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 9:39 PM
Honored Member

TEN STORIES, BITCH!!!!

TAKE THAT SIOUX FALLS!!!!!!

Will look amazing on the SW skyline.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 9:04 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Correction Smiley... it'll be 11 stories... even better!

The fact that the video shows dual hospitals planned for the site, would put the estimated valuation of the project close to $750M when it's all said and done. Add the $40M-$50M private medical clinic and that plot of land will be approaching close to $800M within a decade. Opps forgot the parking garages, I see three in that image below - add another $75M-$100M for that portion of the project. Not to shabby for a metro of 210k people, a hospital development worth almost $1B. The growth from the additional jobs will be unbelievable...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kinda makes me sad I'm packing up and moving to Seattle...

Last edited by NanoBison; Aug 24, 2011 at 9:20 PM. Reason: Corrections / Image Addition

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 3:01 PM

Old gas station in West Fargo?

Anyone know what's going in the old gas station in West Fargo, on the corner of 13th Avenue and 9th St East? It's been for sale for a long time, but I see that a SOLD sign was recently put up.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 8:06 PM
still here

No idea but i'm glad that thing sold. I wonder how long it will be before someone leases the former Cheetah Mart on 45th St.

A side note: I was driving around town the other day and I was really surprised to see the amount of construction already taking place in the section of land bordered by I94 to the north, 32 ave to the south and veterans blvd and the sheyenne river to the east and west. Houses have already started to go up as well as roads and I believe the parts of the new elementary school out there is starting up. Neat stuff out in that area. I also believe there is supposed to be another Holiday Inn Express going up near the intersection of I94 and Veterans Blvd.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 12:52 PM
still here

It's official. Ladies and Gentlemen, opening November 1st 2012, the Fargo Costco.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/333332/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 1:32 PM

So I just spent a week in Fargo for work (I'm living in Charlotte, NC). I thought it was about as boring, ugly and self-centered as any city I've ever been too.

Seriously you're getting extrodinarily excited about a 10 story hospital on the fringes of town? And another big box? Where is the innovative, urban lifestyle that is the mark of real cities. Spend some time in an actual city, and you'll realize how far Fargo has to go (same for Sioux Falls).

It's nice to have some civic pride, but you forumers take it to unhealthy (and unrealist) levels.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 8:00 PM
still here

fredstrom,
I'm sorry that our excitement about what may seem to you as umimportant projects is bothersome. It is your opinion, however, it is not polite or professional to attack another's opinion out of the blue with such crass. I'm sorry that your time in Fargo-Moorhead was not an enjoyable one, I really do. I, and I think I speak for the rest of the local forumers, think that this area is a great place to live and there are many national rankings that support that claim. Every development, whether how big or how small, affects the city and adds to the economy. This hospital will bring in many more jobs and improve the qualtiy of life in the area. Yes, we are not on the levels of Minneapolis, Chicago, New York, or other cities you may consider to be true representations of an urban lifestyle location. But we're certainly taking steps to try to acheive some sort of "urbanness." Our downtown has been revitalized and continues to show signs of progress, the bus system is expanding, walking/bike paths continue to take shape, and bike lanes are being implemented on city streets. That's pretty impressive for a community in a state that has less people than the Minneapolis area, Chicago, New York, and yes, even Charlotte. With all do respect, I would pick on someone your own size.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 8:02 PM
still here

Here's the link to some rankings by the way.

http://fmchamber.com/community_live_quality.php

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 10:14 PM

Fredstrom, I agree with F-Misthebest. I don't think we (the FM area) have much of a desire to become a huge metropolis, or even a Minneapolis. I moved to Fargo from Minneapolis to get away from a lot of the trappings of a larger city, and the progressive nature, which may be perceived as self-centered, of the FM area. I enjoy the excitement over a large hospital and a big box store coming to town, as well as the revitalization of the downtown area, not to mention the progression of many other portions of the area. As far as the FM area being "boring", it may seem so to many people, but I've never had an unfulfilling day in Fargo (if you count recovering from a hangover as fulfilling, which I do).

All told, you are more than welcome to your opinion of Fargo or any other city, but I'll take the shortcomings of Fargo any day. No offense to you or any other person from elsewhere, but during the relatively poor economy of late, our lifestyle in the Upper Great Plains, and Fargo in particular, has thrived while other areas suffer. Although we may not have all the extravagance of other areas, I wouldn't trade it for anything, nor would I want anything beyond what's around me. Please feel free to come back and visit and/or consider a career here, and I hope your experience is better next time. Otherwise, best of luck to you in your endeavors.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 12:05 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredstrom View Post
So I just spent a week in Fargo for work (I'm living in Charlotte, NC). I thought it was about as boring, ugly and self-centered as any city I've ever been too.

Seriously you're getting extrodinarily excited about a 10 story hospital on the fringes of town? And another big box? Where is the innovative, urban lifestyle that is the mark of real cities. Spend some time in an actual city, and you'll realize how far Fargo has to go (same for Sioux Falls).

It's nice to have some civic pride, but you forumers take it to unhealthy (and unrealist) levels.
I DARE you to find a city in the US with a similar metro population of 200-300,000 people like F-M that has any of these attributes you say Fargo doesn't have and who doesn't act the way F-M does.

I lived in Fargo for half my life from birth to age 27, now I live in Toronto. And I HATE it in Toronto and wish I could live in Fargo again.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:

You're from Charlotte and you're critical of a place like Fargo???? What the hell do you have to proud of in Charlotte? World's largest Baptist church?? Most lynchings in a single day? Most fried chicken restaurants in a block? Most corrupt, criminal bankers per square mile?? Most illiterate bigots per inch?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 4:49 AM
Closed account

Quote:

There is constructive criticism.....................and then there are ignorant posts like these.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 10:20 PM

Fargo's population is 210k, I'd say it is ok to get excited about a 10 story hospital that will greatly enhance the city's and region's quality of health care. I won't even get into how many jobs it will create. Seriously I think even larger cities get excited about projects that exceed $350 million but maybe I'm wrong.

I do have zero interest in the big boxes and chains, I go to them but it isn't anything to get excited about. We have enough. The additions of places like Rhombus Guys pizza is much more exciting to me.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 8:00 PM

North Carolina vs. North Dakota

I just did some checking, North Carolina's budget defecit next year will be $3.2 billion, that's with a B. North Dakota will have a surplus of over $1 billion. Our jobless rate is one of the lowest in the nation, so is our crime rate. Quite frankly Fred, you can keep Charlotte and your North Carolina troubles, I'll take Fargo and North Dakota any day. BTW - I grew up in the Twin Cities and moved here out of college. I like to go back and visit, but glad I live where I do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest