HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:29 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

something a bit taller than the arch would be nice.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalstl View Post
I agree St. Louis could use a new tallest but 950ft would be too dramatic. I think a 700ft one would fit better. I would like to see a few 300-500ft buildings surrounding the ball park and the south side of downtown to even out the skyline. I'm hoping 300 south broadway or whatever its called moves forward.
More skyscrapers would be nice but downtown doesn’t have the momentum for that quite yet. What I wish they would do in the mean time is urbanize the space around some of the skyscrapers. There’s a lot of pointless green space filler or dead streetscapes surrounding buildings like the Bank of America tower, the AT&T building annex, the Courthouse skyscraper, and so on. Would be nice to see some storefronts added in those spots to liven things up.

Also, getting rid of the Peabody Energy building in the middle of the mall and moving the company into the now-empty AT&T skyscraper would be great too. That monstrosity doesn’t belong there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 4:41 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoftheRustBelt View Post
There’s a lot of pointless green space filler...like the Bank of America tower...
*sigh*

http://vanishingstl.blogspot.com/200...-building.html

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Shameful

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Also, getting rid of the Peabody Energy building in the middle of the mall and moving the company into the now-empty AT&T skyscraper would be great too. That monstrosity doesn’t belong there.
Completely agree

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
More skyscrapers would be nice but downtown doesn’t have the momentum for that quite yet. What I wish they would do in the mean time is urbanize the space around some of the skyscrapers. There’s a lot of pointless green space filler or dead streetscapes surrounding buildings like the Bank of America tower, the AT&T building annex, the Courthouse skyscraper, and so on. Would be nice to see some storefronts added in those spots to liven things up.

There is rumored to be a 50 story building in the works Downtown on the north riverfront. could be around 600Ft

https://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-...er-in-planning

Last edited by hoffa270; Jul 17, 2018 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffa270 View Post
There is rumored to be a 50 story building in the works Downtown on the north riverfront. could be around 600Ft

https://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-...er-in-planning
I’ll believe it when I see it. We were promised a 1000+ ft supertall on the south riverfront before the crash. I highly doubt the market is there yet for such a project at that location, and I don’t think it would be a good fit anyway.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
I know all too well about the Ambassador Theatre. What a damn shame.

Minor semantics correction though: that teardown was for US Bank. Bank of America is in the cylindrical tower adjacent to Citygarden on Market.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 9:30 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
I know all too well about the Ambassador Theatre. What a damn shame.

Minor semantics correction though: that teardown was for US Bank. Bank of America is in the cylindrical tower adjacent to Citygarden on Market.
yep. good call. my mistake. i hate that horrible, light-swallowing obelisk (BoA building).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
something a bit taller than the arch would be nice.
Ah, it's the same issue everywhere with this type of architecture.
Arches are like a symbol of a golden gate or something to locals, which is fine. I like it. And that one in St Louis is truly unique.

But then, it's always a long-run struggle to have anything taller built afterwards, while tall buildings remain a signal to the world, as a sign of international dynamism and recognition.

I sure hope you guys get over your own arch in the end, no matter how modern and original it is for real.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:49 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
...while tall buildings remain a signal to the world, as a sign of international dynamism and recognition.

I sure hope you guys get over your own arch in the end, no matter how modern and original it is for real.
well, Paris is a great example of a recognized, dynamic city that has flourished without falling for the shiny tall building gimmick. i'm not opposed to building taller than the Arch at all, but i don't want tall buildings for the sake of tall buildings either.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
well, Paris is a great example of a recognized, dynamic city that has flourished without falling for the shiny tall building gimmick.
At cost of huge sprawl, I should say. They make me laugh here when they blame on LA for urban sprawl. They all say it's ugly, but we've been the very same here in Paris. It sprawls much further than you know.

Make no mistake. Paris is hugely romanticized all over the world, but it's nothing so sexy overall.

The problem is sprawl ain't sustainable. It's too complicated and costly to manage. I think an average 20-storey building is a fair solution, for now.

Population will unavoidably increase, though. So you have to build taller and taller.
And you need some real skyscrapers to flatter the rich pricks. Forget about the rich themselves. Their butts in particular don't matter; just focus on the money they own, that you need to develop the town.

That's the rule as long as we don't have anything better than global capitalism.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 6:42 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ fair points. unfortunately, the St. Louis region is already sprawling despite having 1/10th of Paris' density. St. Louis City has a looooooong way to go before it needs to start worrying about building up rather than filling in.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 3:26 AM

The Boulevard Project, in Richmond Heights, is moving forward as the City Council will hear a bill on development at a August 9th meeting (it is expected to pass). Planned is residential space, retail and a up to 200,000 Square Foot office building. Phase 2 was officially revealed last year and adds to The Boulevard (which could be considered Downtown Richmond Heights).

Read more about it here: https://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-...-moves-forward

Last edited by Chris Stritzel; Jul 19, 2018 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:55 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:

i agree as well. and unless its a single tenant like centene in clayton, skyscapers are probably a bad idea for the long term. maintenance issues become expensive, etc. lots more light filled, mixed use DC style low rise class A is what we should be aiming for downtown, i think.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:43 PM

Here is a new rendering, by HDA, showing One Cardinal Way and 300 South Broadway together. This is the first instance of this. You can see more under the "300 South Broadway" page on the Proposal section. It is a good thing I saved these renderings too. They have since been removed from the source.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 12:29 PM

this looks good. i got a feeling this is just the beginning for this area of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 9:40 PM

An infill and rehab project has been proposed for 3201 Morgan Ford in Tower Grove South. The project will consist restoring the corner building (3 floors) and the construction of a new 4 floor addition on a neighboring vacant lot. In all, the project will be a $3.7 Million investment into Tower Grove South and bring 20 new apartments. This seems to be a companion development to the MOFO Urban Residences a block North. Linked are two stories and a rendering.

http://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-b...er-grove-south
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...-in-tower.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stritzel View Post
An infill and rehab project has been proposed for 3201 Morgan Ford in Tower Grove South. The project will consist restoring the corner building (3 floors) and the construction of a new 4 floor addition on a neighboring vacant lot. In all, the project will be a $3.7 Million investment into Tower Grove South and bring 20 new apartments. This seems to be a companion development to the MOFO Urban Residences a block North. Linked are two stories and a rendering.

http://www.buildingstlnews.com/the-b...er-grove-south
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...-in-tower.html

This has supposedly passed the LCRA Board tonight. Next stop is the Planning Commission then the Board of Aldermen. Had a conversation with a neighbor of the proposed site and she is worried that the loss of green space will hurt the wildlife in the area. I told her that if there is a neighborhood meting on this to bring up the idea of a green roof/garden so that some of the wildlife can live there still. Hopefully a meeting comes up soon.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 4:26 PM
new day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stritzel View Post
This has supposedly passed the LCRA Board tonight. Next stop is the Planning Commission then the Board of Aldermen. Had a conversation with a neighbor of the proposed site and she is worried that the loss of green space will hurt the wildlife in the area. I told her that if there is a neighborhood meting on this to bring up the idea of a green roof/garden so that some of the wildlife can live there still. Hopefully a meeting comes up soon.
Oh my my on that neighbors worries. This is a city not a wildlife refuge. Plus, Tower Grove Park is blocks away. NIMBY's gonna NIMBY.

I'd be happy to see the corner building rehabbed and a refined, modern addition to the empty lot would be welcomed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations