HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Damn y'all need to stop giving people so much heat. jonesrmj could probably tone it down a bit but no need to lambast him for his posts. He's expressing his thoughts on a forum that's meant for that.
Nobody is lambasting him...this was actually a civil and productive conversation.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:13 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Any body can get behind this article:

Cause this statement caught my attention: "Simon Property Group looks to create its version of Hudson Yards at the Upper Merion location."

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-jcpenney.html

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
I do not think Wilmington must have it's own thread, I honestly think it fits nicely within the metro thread. I think jonesmjr is very passionate about topics that fit better on a blog, and he seems to understand that after some discussion. I am guessing he is on the younger side and needs an outlet to grow his passion which I advised a blog would work better than this forum and it seems he has agreed I like hearing about the Wilmington projects TBH. We live in a unique region since there are 3 separate states and a bit of separation in identity within each. But overall I think it is important to maintain the cohesion of a region and not separate.
I agree. I could be totally wrong on this, but I’m guessing we get more news and discussion generated about Wilmington/NCC than we would if there was a separate thread. It could fall into the abyss on its own.

Jones’ “why not us” comments notwithstanding (not personal—I’m glad he’s passionate about making Wilmington better), the thread has a pretty good balance of development news and discussion within the MSA. No need for three threads for one MSA.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:31 AM

Wilmington: DuPont Building

Could the DuPont Building become the hippest spot in town?

https://technical.ly/delaware/2017/1...est-spot-town/

Quote:
Wilmington is about to join the food hall trend. Some cool brands are rumored to be involved.

When the Buccini/Pollin Group announced the purchase of the DuPont Building last April, it was clear it had no intention of letting the building flounder. There would be residences, an upgraded Playhouse and, in the first floor area facing Orange Street, a food market inspired by the trendy food halls in New York and San Francisco.

We won’t know which businesses will be involved with the new food hall — like a mall food court but way cooler, featuring small, local and regional food and beverage businesses — for another month or two. If successful food hall businesses in other cities are any indication, we can expect vendors offering grab-and-go items that don’t require much equipment to prepare on site — things like sushi, gourmet sandwiches, fresh beverages and ice cream.

At least one Philadelphia business we know has been courted, which suggests that the project will give some popular bigger city food businesses a Wilmington satellite that is cheaper and ostensibly easier to maintain than opening a storefront.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 1:57 AM

Haven't gotten around to posting any updates lately, but here's some pics from Dec 11:
BigFish Hotel:

Wawa and WilmU

Ave of the Arts

And this is Brandywine YMCA expansion, it's tucked away from 202, so pretty easy to miss, but they seem to be moving along nicely:

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Getting PECO to bury lines might as well be a challenge to NASA to build a Neptune space colony...

The city should require undergrounding with all new construction and/or sidewalk reconstruction. Instead we have what otherwise would be a large amount of very attractive new construction behind a thicket of aerial wires and what looks like a substation bolted onto to the front of them. That's no way to run a first-world country. Just think how much better Phila would look without them.
Unfortunately, a lot of U.S. cities seem to be like that. I know of a few projects in Florida and one in San Antonio that have street projects where they are burying the lines. I'm sure there are plenty more I haven't seen, but it seems to be a rarity. I hate utility lines with a passion and couldn't agree with you more that with any new construction project they should be required to be buried.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 2:29 PM

Even worse to me than power/utility lines are the electric and gas meters that PECO and PGW are now installing externally. It's a real shame for rowhome neighborhoods.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 4:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

Those too. With just an ounce of thought the could be accommodated in a recessed something-or-other on the facade or under the stoop since so many new construction stoops are so high anyway.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 4:28 PM

I spotted a tower crane near the Whole Foods in Devon, between Lancaster and the main line tracks. I don't recall whether anything about a project there was ever posted (NB: this is not the former site of Waterloo Gardens, which is across the street and down the road).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 4:46 PM

More positive news for the region concerning manufacturing .
https://www.philadelphiafed.org/rese.../2017/nbos1217

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:42 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I spotted a tower crane near the Whole Foods in Devon, between Lancaster and the main line tracks. I don't recall whether anything about a project there was ever posted (NB: this is not the former site of Waterloo Gardens, which is across the street and down the road).
Yep, the Devon Yards project. I thought it was on the old waterloo site. But, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/mai...1b6eb8c4a.html

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Yep, the Devon Yards project. I thought it was on the old waterloo site. But, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/mai...1b6eb8c4a.html
I think you're wrong. There was construction on the Waterloo site too (but no crane). That project (next to the Horse Show) has gotten a lot of press. Again, what I saw was directly next to the Whole Foods plaza (821 Lancaster), along the railroad tracks.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I think you're wrong. There was construction on the Waterloo site too (but no crane). That project (next to the Horse Show) has gotten a lot of press. Again, what I saw was directly next to the Whole Foods plaza (821 Lancaster), along the railroad tracks.

Look at that. Google Streetview update was Oct 2017 and you can see the Crane in the background.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0485...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 9:22 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
Look at that. Google Streetview update was Oct 2017 and you can see the Crane in the background.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0485...7i13312!8i6656
Mystery solved. My further internet research shows this:

https://www.brightviewseniorliving.c...pa/devon/main/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:11 AM

Wilmington wants your help creating its vision for 2028!

Quote:
Wilmington is beginning a year-long effort to come up with a comprehensive plan that will guide development across the city for the next 10 years.

Officials are seeking public input for the plan, called Wilmington 2028, the city said in a news release.

Mayor Mike Purzycki said the plan will address current challenges and develop "a new vision for tomorrow."

"This will be a community-driven effort which I would like to see reflect the hopes and priorities of our citizens," he said in a statement. "This plan will guide future development, and shape where and why public and private investment dollars are spent to make Wilmington a stronger and more prosperous city over the next decade.”

The plan, managed by City Planning Director Herb Inden, is required by a Delaware law that states all municipalities must have a comprehensive plan in place that is reviewed and updated every 10 years...
Read More here - http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...028/661644001/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:57 PM

Wilmington: Christina River Bike/Ped Bridge

One of my favorite Wilmington projects, this ped/bike bridge will connect the Wilmington Riverfront (and Wilmington Station / downtown) and Old Historic New Castle (a 7 mile trip). Opens in 2018.

Photo update courtesy of Bike Delaware

Last edited by domodeez; Dec 23, 2017 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 4:24 PM
Me?!?

Quick question, does anyone know what is going on in Wilmington?

The posts don't bother me and if I see something I am not interested in I just skim and scroll past.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 10:36 PM

Riverworks in Phoenixville turned out very nice. I very much appreciate the addition of some green space along French Creek in downtown and the pedestrian bridge over it connecting to the Schuylkill River trail. Just need to get a train stop there and this is a home run. The flat blue siding does leave something to be desired though, but overall very nice.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Dec 24, 2017 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 10:59 PM

^ Looks Nice!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 11:00 PM

^ And that was my 200th post on this forum!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations