HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:05 PM

heh.....cracks me up.....

“If you look at the fan sites and ‘The Office’ blogs, people are already finding these places and boasting about it,” he said. “They are like, ‘Hey, I’ve been to Scranton!’”

04/03/2007
‘The Office’ put Scranton on map; group looks to capitalize
BY DAVID FALCHEK
STAFF WRITER

On their way home to suburban Pittsburgh, Kevin Schuetz and his wife spent two days in Scranton for an increasingly common reason: to sightsee “Office-style.”

Rabid fans of NBC’s hit sitcom “The Office,” the Schuetzes drove around looking at landmarks depicted in the show’s opening sequence and trying to find the “Welcome to Scranton” sign.

“We were ready to jump out of the car and get our picture taken by the sign,” he said. “We recognized some of the buildings and a church — it was nice.”

Many fans like the Schuetzes are stopping here on their own, leading a local group to think the TV show and its legions of devotees might flock to an organized “Office Convention,” similar to wildly popular “Star Trek” conventions around the country.

Although Trekkies can’t go to the planet Vulcan, fans of “The Office” can come to Scranton, where most references in the show are real places. Such an event would let the city capitalize on its primetime presence in the quirky comedy about life at the fictional Dunder-Mifflin Paper Co.

“Since ‘Cheers’ and its association with Boston, there has not been a television show that has generated so much interest in a city,” said Tim Holmes, director of the community newspapers division of Times-Shamrock, parent company of The Times-Tribune, and an organizer of the would-be convention. “A lot of people out there want a piece of Scranton.”

The potential of “Office”-themed events was seen when Rainn Wilson, who portrays Dwight Schrute on the show, visited the city and drew throngs of fans to the Mall at Steamtown on Dec. 17.

“I talked to someone who drove eight hours from North Carolina,” mall spokesman Art Levandoski said of that visit. “We expected a huge crowd, and we got it.”

The mall is working with other groups in the city, planning other visits by cast members.

The “Office” convention steering committee plans a formal call for volunteers in the next few weeks, and would like to host the event in October or November — downtime in television production when cast members may be available.

The drawing board is full of ideas.

Tours would visit places mentioned in the show, such as Farley’s, Cooper’s Seafood House and the Mall at Steamtown. Lunches could feature sandwiches from Cara Mia’s Delicatessen, dessert from Gertrude Hawk Chocolates and Crystal Club soda to wash it all down.

The Marquee Cinema may be asked to feature shows from past seasons on multiple screens.

After repeated requests, city officials tracked down the old “Welcome to Scranton” sign featured on the show and plan to haul it out for Office visitors and pictures.

Mr. Holmes has corresponded with NBC officials and found them enthusiastic about the idea. But local organizers will still have to carry the ball, he said.

“We want their OK to do this. We want to put Michael’s face on this,” he said of the show’s lead character, boorish boss Michael Scott.

Others on the steering committee include Sara Hailstone, city director of community and economic development, Scranton architect Michele Dempsey, and University of Scranton Women’s Studies Professor Elizabeth Randol.

“Office” tourism may not be as farfetched as it sounds, Ms. Dempsey said. Preston, Idaho, featured in the movie “Napoleon Dynamite,” has seen tourism boom as movie fans flock to the rural town.

“How many television shows have participated in the revitalization of a city?” she asked.

More people are stopping into the Lackawanna County Visitors Center looking for Dunder-Mifflin merchandise and asking for directions to “Office”-related landmarks.

“When the show started, I was skeptical of how we could benefit,” said Tracy Barone, executive director of Lackawanna County Visitors & Convention Bureau. “For a while, I was in disbelief when calls came from people wanting to go to the restaurants mentioned on the show and wanting to see places like the Penn Paper and Supply building or the Paper Magic building.”

The potential hit home a few weeks ago, when a group of Florida college students and fans of “The Office” decided to come to Scranton on Spring Break, Ms. Barone said.

To help fans find their way, the bureau developed a daylong itinerary. Mr. Holmes said his weekly publication, Electric City, may develop a self-guided “Office Tour” for site-seers.

Such a guide would have been helpful to the Schuetzes when they visited. Mr. Schuetz was surprised the area didn’t already have something like that. He often got blank stares when asking about “Office” landmarks.

He says he’s not alone. Many of the show’s fans are finding their way to Scranton.

“If you look at the fan sites and ‘The Office’ blogs, people are already finding these places and boasting about it,” he said. “They are like, ‘Hey, I’ve been to Scranton!’”

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:10 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Sounds like an entrepreneurial opportunity that can't be passed up (eh MetroJ ).

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 8:06 PM

office tourists

I read the article and replied to the author with this:

Thanks for the article.

As a newcomer here, I'd like to point something out that locals apparently overlook but tourists will notice immediately, as I did. It's the sidewalks downtown, where concrete has been torn-up and replaced with asphalt. It's extensive and plain ugly. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. It looks cheap and gives downtown a derelict appearance.

I'm embarrassed to take my out-of-town friends downtown. I can't explain it to them.

Do you know why so much of downtown is patched with asphalt? Maybe you could write about it and encourage proper, inviting sidewalks.

Thanks.

(I deleted my name)
Scranton

He replied with this:

Dear (my name),

You hit on a pet peeve of mine -- asphalt sidewalks.

It should be outlawed -- and the city could, if it wanted.

I'm in total agreement.

David Falchek
Business Reporter
Scranton Times-Tribune
P: 570-348-9141
F: 570-348-9135

my note: someone on City Council obviously owns a paving company. Think of it, dig up the original concrete, pay to put down asphalt, later on pay to have asphalt dug up and concrete poured.

I've also tried to volunteer with Scranton Tomorrow, website looks promising, http://www.scrantontomorrow.org/ and I've been ignored. Maybe no one's home. It sure is frustrating living here and giving a damn.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:42 PM

^^ Sorry that you're finding so much frustration in Scranton...good that you're making every effort to extend yourself to the city's betterment...don't give up.....!

As to the asphalt....the only reasonable excuse for same would be were certain sidewalks situated at imminent construction sites, subject to punishment until project completion......followed by the installation of proper sidewalks.... We have them (asphalt) here in places where paved pathways might be called for...they aren't as objectionable as such.....sometimes they're a nice counterpoint to the acres of mega Mcmansions which, together with expensive landscapes suitable for upscale malls in Atlanta/Phoenix, have brutalized the naturalness of this place.....
I hope that you'll soon have better experiences there, particularly regarding the Med. school that brought you to NePA to begin with.....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:55 PM

have you called the number on the Scranton Tomorrow website????

Still waiting to hear some news on the Southern Union building.............

Heard the University of Scranton bought the South Side Complex, behind Steamtown mall. They plan on building a soccer, softball, baseball fields....despite numerous lawsuits to stop the sale.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 12:54 AM

Wonder what's up with this.....?

04/04/2007
Mandalay makes its pitch to buy franchise
BY ROGER DUPUIS II
STAFF WRITER

Mandalay Baseball Properties wants to buy Northeastern Pennsylvania’s Triple-A baseball franchise, but isn’t going to rush the deal, according to a key official.

Richard W. Neumann, Mandalay’s vice president of development, confirmed a purchase option agreement was submitted to Lackawanna County’s Multi-Purpose Stadium Authority late Tuesday afternoon, along with a management agreement to run the team.

“The option agreement gives Lackawanna County every possible protection that this franchise is not going to be relocated,” Neumann said.

Details of the agreements were not available Tuesday night.

The authority is scheduled to meet today at noon to discuss the agreements, though it was unclear Tuesday night whether the meeting would take place as planned, or be postponed until Thursday. Chairman Anthony Lomma said he would make a decision, possibly as late as this morning, based on whether or not board members felt they had enough time to review the documents.

The two agreements will have to pass through two different approval processes.

Baseball’s governing bodies will have to approve the management agreement between the county and California-based Mandalay, which will run the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees for the county. That has not been submitted to league officials yet.

“We hope that will happen (today), if there’s no other issues,” Lackawanna County majority Commissioner Robert C. Cordaro said.

Because the authority voted last year to give him negotiating power, Cordaro said an authority vote would not be necessary for him to submit the management agreement to the International League. The agreement will, however, be discussed by the authority — today or tomorrow — and by the commissioners at their next meeting, Cordaro said.

The purchase option agreement, on the other hand, does not need to be submitted to the league, but must be voted on by the authority and the commissioners, Cordaro said.

Once that happens, the big question is how soon Mandalay may move to exercise that option and buy the team.

Cordaro and Neumann said such a move was not likely to happen before the end of this season.

It has been said the purchase agreement will require Mandalay to commit to a 20-year lease if it decides to buy.

“Before they go to purchase the team and commit the New York Yankees to being here for 20 years, literally, they want to see how the facilities handle the crowds in a stadium that’s already old, and whose design is even older,” Cordaro said.

And what of speculation that Mandalay will ultimately require a new stadium?

“I really believe you’re going to need to look at the stress and operation of a full season before you could give an educated opinion,” Cordaro said.

rdupuis@timesshamrock.com

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 2:14 PM

Med school news. It's concerning that they seem to be backing off of a Scranton location, per the text....

04/05/2007
Med school to name dean
BY NICHOLE DOBO
STAFF WRITER

Robert M. D’Alessandri

Birthplace: New York City
Education: Fordham University, 1967; New York Medical College, 1971
Current job: Vice president for health sciences at the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center at West Virginia University

Timeline

June 2005
The Medical Education Development Consortium was formed to begin development of a medical college in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Dr. Robert Wright, director of the Scranton
Temple Residency Program, is named chairman and Dr. Robert Naismith, chairman and CEO of Life Science Analytical, is selected as president.
July 6, 2006
A $300,000 feasibility study reveals a medical school would lead to a “health care renaissance” in the area. The school could stimulate about $46 million in spending and create about 550 high-paying jobs by 2015, the study said. The name of the school was proposed as the “Medical College of Northeastern Pennsylvania.”
Oct. 30
Officials announce nearly half of the money needed to start the medical school — $35 million — will be made available through a state economic development grant.
November
The search for a founding dean of the school starts with help from a Pittsburgh-based consultant. About 30 candidates applied for the job, and the school’s board interviewed about 10 finalists.
Dec. 13
The medical school gets $25 million closer to its fundraising goal when Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania pledges to the school. The money is to come from part of the nonprofit health insurance company’s surplus.
Today
Dr. Robert M. D’Alessandri, a 61-year-old vice president the West Virginia University’s Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, is expected to be named the first dean of the medical school.

An executive at West Virginia University is expected to be named today as the first dean of the proposed Medical College of Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Robert M. D’Alessandri, M.D., 61, has emerged as the top candidate for the job, said the head of the nationwide effort to select the dean.

“He presented the ideal blend of skills and experiences,” said John K. Thornburgh, vice president of the Pittsburgh-based firm hired to conduct the search. “He certainly has extensive knowledge in the world of medical education. He has run large organizations, built programs, recruited people and raised money.”

The medical school’s board, the Medical Education Development Consortium, has yet to finalize the appointment, but is expected to do so early today. A formal announcement is slated for 11 a.m. in the Hilton Scranton and Conference Center.

Dr. D’Alessandri is vice president for Health Sciences at West Virginia University’s Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center. This position oversees the university’s four health schools: medicine, pharmacy, dentistry and nursing.

During his 30-year tenure at WVU, Dr. D’Alessandri previously served as the dean of the School of Medicine, an associate dean of ambulatory services, chief of the section of comprehensive medicine and as a medical professor.

Today’s announcement will conclude a five-month search. The consortium, a local group of physicians, politicians and community leaders, has been pushing for a medical school since 2005.

Efforts to reach Dr. D’Alessandri were unsuccessful Wednesday.

Sen. Bob Mellow, D-Peckville, declined to confirm Mr. D’Alessandri’s appointment. The board was still considering final candidates and would not make the final selection until this morning, he said.

“Anything could happen at the board meeting,” he said.

About $60 million of the $75 million to $80 million needed for the school has already been secured from the state and a grant from Blue Cross of Northeastern Pennsylvania. The school is expected to open in 2009 and serve 360 students.

The school’s site has not yet been decided, Mr. Mellow said, stressing that the school would serve 28 hospitals in Northeastern and Northcentral Pennsylvania.

“It has to be made very clear this is not a Scranton project,” Mr. Mellow said.

Seen as a potential economic driver for the area, the school is expected to create spending of $46 million a year and spawn 550 jobs by 2015. By 2025, the economic footprint is expected to grow to $54 million and 900 jobs.

Contact the writer: ndobo@timesshamrock.com

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:11 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Not sure that Scranton isn't in the running. I think Mellow meant that it's a NEPA project, not just a Scranton project. Meaninfg it will serve more than just the city of Scranton. Don't think that precludes it from being located in Scranton.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Not sure that Scranton isn't in the running. I think Mellow meant that it's a NEPA project, not just a Scranton project. Meaninfg it will serve more than just the city of Scranton. Don't think that precludes it from being located in Scranton.
Agree.....what is the alternative?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Well yeah, I read it that way, too and have the utmost admiration for Mr. Mellow.....I just have the sneakingest suspicion about the danged thing since it seemed such a fait accompli not long ago ...sure to be located at the HoJo site.....anyway. I hold out hope that you and Snakeyes are right.... DT Scranton will be the spot, ultimately.

Today is the home opener of the S-WB Yankees........btw.....tickets are scarce, I hear.....

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donybrx View Post
Well yeah, I read it that way, too and have the utmost admiration for Mr. Mellow.....I just have the sneakingest suspicion about the danged thing since it seemed such a fait accompli not long ago ...sure to be located at the HoJo site.....anyway. I hold out hope that you and Snakeyes are right.... DT Scranton will be the spot, ultimately.

Today is the home opener of the S-WB Yankees........btw.....tickets are scarce, I hear.....
The only other place I can think of is Montage Mountain...and that means GRIDLOCK.

What is that speculation about a new stadium for the S/WB Yanks...maybe downtown Scranton, trade the med school for the stadium?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:38 PM

^^ That's my concern...Montage. I'm cynical, yes. feel that as soon as talk of Med School went beyond just talk to actual millions available....the ears of the more opportunistic types stood up.....and so would pull the school in the direction of their properties like Montage....upping the ante, probably. It isn't unusual to pull strings in business for financial bonanzas....time will tell...

Like I said, it could end up along PA Boulevard in Wilkes-Baqrre just as easily...there's a lot of vacant availble land there....I prefer Scranton...in m lil donybrx fantasy world....

The rumors of a new stadium started popping not long after the Yankees signed up...I don't see the need...this stadium is perfect and not old....but the Yankees are more about moolah than were the Barons....another reason why I liked having the home-y Barons....relaxed, fun, not money obsessed like the rest of sports....

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 1:00 AM

20 acres?

Dean Selected for New Medical College

Thursday, April 5, 5:36 p.m.
By Josh Brogadir

There's no medical school yet in Lackawanna County but there is a new man in charge already. Officials today named a dean to head up the medical school that's planned for fall 2009.

Local officials have nothing but praise for Dr. Robert D'Alessandri and he knows he has his work cut out for him if the school will be ready to teach a new generation of doctors in our area in just over two years.

He was heavily recruited to come here and now he has his sights set on improving health care and the economy in our area. He comes from a similar position with West Virginia University.

"I've been the dean of a medical school for 15 years, and I've been vice president for health sciences. All of the schools, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, report to me," D'Alessandri said.

One big challenge to making progress here, to getting started, is finding a location for the new medical school.

In the fall, it was thought the Medical College of Northeast Pennsylvania would be built along Franklin Avenue after an old nursing home was cleared from the site.

The medical school board lost $100,000 on an option to buy the current Howard Johnson Inn property.

Now we're hearing the site may be in downtown Scranton but it also could be elsewhere.

"My preference basically is to keep it somewhere in Lackawanna County but we want to come up with the best possible site for the growth. We probably need overall 20 acres of land and we have to come up with the right type of footprint that's going to speak well to the growth that's going to take place 20 years from today," said Senator Bob Mellow.

Another challenge is identifying funding for the project; $35 million came in from the state and $25 million more from Blue Cross of Northeast Pennsylvania.

"I would think that we need another $50 million to $60 million to make this happen. The good news is we've come up with an economic model because of the investment of Blue Cross into this process where the school can be self-sustaining ," said medical school board vice chairman Dr. Robert Naismith.

A temporary site will likely be used for the medical school beginning in 2009, up until a permanent structure can be built. The school can be certified in a temporary building.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 9:30 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ 20 acres does seem like a lot, but I guess for a full fledged college it's not really that much. Probably want the ability to expand too at some point in the future. Downtown, at least the immediate area, might be a tough fit. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donybrx View Post
Like I said, it could end up along PA Boulevard in Wilkes-Baqrre just as easily...there's a lot of vacant availble land there....I prefer Scranton...in m lil donybrx fantasy world....
I have to wonder about dony's lil fantasy world.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 6:42 PM

thanks for the support, guys

OK, here goes:

Dony, you're a champ. Thanks for the encouragement. We'll meet in heaven some day and have a few laughs, I'm sure.

....eyes, still haven't heard from Scranton Tomorrow, which upsets me but I WILL call, although I'm expecting voice mail. I'll let you know....

EX - I saw a bumper plate today that made me think of you. It read: "Ithaca is Gorges" and made we want to see it, so I will.

Med School: Here's my take. Judging from their attitudes recently, the academics who started this project are not happy campers. But they're not talking - perhap among themselves, but not to me, anyway. I SUSPECT that the whole shebang has been highjacked by the politicos and their financiers. I've heard the name DiNaples more than once. The greedy bastard apparently isn't satisfied with his junkyard in Dunmore or his new casino license for the Poconos, he wants a piece - again, I suppose - of this action, too. I guess he has no property downtown. He's a major contributor to politicians - think Mellow, who's doing all the talkin' and note that Mayor Doherty has been mum all this while.

I'll be meeting the new dean soon. I hope that he's a reasonable guy with big balls because I have plently of reasons why that school needs to be downtown and not part of some sprawl somewhere or next to DiNaples' junkyard.

More later -

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 7:43 PM

^^^Aaaaaah...DiNaples. Of course! Why didn't I think of that name sooner? If anyone knows how to work the system, Mr. DeNaples does. Don't mean to offend one of our SWB forumers by saying that but...it adds up. Now it rings clear how the proj could have been so vastly underestimated whereas the compact HoJO site was once optioned as'enough' but now 20 acres or more are needed..and the acreage near/ at Montage has skyrocketed recently, if not some of those 1,000's of watershed acreage that DeNaples happened to purchase above the objection of public trust from publicly held utilities....he bought it for peanuts and has been parceling it off for much more..he was even portrayed as a minor saint by a couple of nuns in his state interview to get the casino rights in the Poconos...hahaha. He once turned some interference by the state re: land he held along the (then pre-construction) new Route 6 highway into a $300+ Million bonanza. Yep. Nobody does it better.....

bucksnative, I/ we got your back.....perhaps we'll all meet for a trolley ride before you run screaming from Scranton....lol.

A summertime ride to Ithaca is a great idea. Perhaps a scenic Route 6 ride over to Wellsboro, then down to Knoebels Park for a spin on the wooden coasters. It's a wonderful place...old fashioned but very fully fun packed....www.knoebels.com.
There's nothing quite like riding along the Susquehanna in the summer en route.there..

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:15 PM

Wellsboro

The NYTimes did a nice write-up on Wellsboro a few weeks back. I'll see if I can find it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:25 PM

Wellsboro

full article: http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/03/30...l?pagewanted=1

Havens | Wellsboro, Pa.

A Quaint Town With ‘Quiet Things’ to Do

By DAVE CALDWELL
Published: March 30, 2007
NYTimes

Some storefronts have changed over the years, but Main Street has held tight to its charm. Wellsboro is not just a place to zip through on the way to nearby Pine Creek Gorge, which is often called the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. Park your car, slip a dime in the meter, stroll through town — and putter into the past.

“I tell people you can set your watch back 50 years,” said Nelle Rounsaville, who moved to town 20 years ago and who now owns two bed-and-breakfasts in town and the Wellsboro Diner, an all-porcelain, drum-shaped eatery that has hunkered at the corner of Main Street and East Avenue since 1939.

Wellsboro, a town of about 3,300 residents 240 miles northwest of New York City, has become a popular place for second-home buyers who want to remember their first homes — as in, the homes they grew up in.

The town prides itself for being clean, safe and slow-paced. Fittingly, a fountain with a statue of Wynken, Blynken and Nod sits on the wide town green, across Main Street from the old stone Tioga County courthouse and the equally old brick jailhouse.

Real estate prices are low compared with those in many other places in Pennsylvania. Grover and Debra Wolf, who own a tree-care business in Oley, Pa., near Reading, bought a three-bedroom, 100-year-old, wood-frame house near the center of Wellsboro last August for $173,500.

The house was moved 50 to 100 feet about 15 years ago so that the lot could be subdivided, Mr. Wolf said. It was placed on a cement-block foundation and fitted with new plumbing and a modern kitchen. But the original oak woodwork remains.

“We bought all the charm — with all new fixings,” Mr. Wolf said. “I didn’t want to spend a lot of time when I came up here working on a house.”

While in Wellsboro, which they visit every two weeks, the Wolfs like to explore the town with their son, Tanner, 7, and venture to Pine Creek Gorge, which is about 10 miles west of town, not far off United States Route 6. “For us, it was getting our child to an area that was safe,” Ms. Wolf said, “an area promoting small community.”

Pine Creek Gorge, formed by melting glaciers and dotted with trees that show off blazing colors in the fall, is itself a destination. A railroad bed along meandering Pine Creek was turned into a bicycle trail. The gorge, which cuts deep into the Appalachian Plateau, is also an ideal place to hike, fish, hunt and camp and to ride snowmobiles and horses.

“There are things to do, but they’re quiet things to do,” said Scott Wilcox, a Wellsboro native and agent for Century 21 Wilkinson-Dunn, which is on Main Street.

The Scene

Shops along Main Street have slowly changed hands in the past few years and have become tonier. On the south side of Main Street are the Fifth Season antiques store and Pine Creek Outfitters (which offers raft trips and canoe and bicycle rentals). A former five-and-dime is now the Blue Thistle Boutique, which sells women’s clothing, and a popular Italian restaurant, the Timeless Destination.

Just off Main Street is a bagel shop and an old-timey movie house, the Arcadia — “Tioga County’s Finest Theatre,” the marquee reads. Plans are under way to build a performing arts center not far from the old courthouse and the jail, which is now home to the chamber of commerce and the Tioga County Visitors Bureau.

“Don’t ever call this place ‘hillbilly,’ because the people are sophisticated,” said Ed Lodge, who lives part time in Chester County, Pa., and bought a 2,500-square-foot second home in Wellsboro for $305,000 in November 2005.

The gaslights stop a block or two west of the town green, and Main Street turns residential. The street, and the small neighborhood that surrounds it, are lined with simple and handsome older homes, many with wood frames, but some made of brick. Wellsboro is nestled in tall hills, which are covered with trees that seem to trudge up the slopes.

Marsha and Bob Chesko first drove through Wellsboro eight years ago, when they still lived in Orlando, Fla. They liked the town so much that they ended up buying the Sherwood Motel. Most of their guests come up the same week every year, and request the same room.

“We’ve watched the ‘Andy Griffith Show’ on TV,” Ms. Chesko said, “and we said to each other, ‘This is just like Mayberry.’ It’s such a small, quaint town.”

Pros

United States Route 15, which connects Tioga County to Interstate 80, has been widened in recent years, trimming the weekend trip for second-home owners substantially. Mansfield University is about 15 miles to the east, and offers sports and cultural events. A newsworthy crime is often a whodunit that centers on a blown-up mailbox.

Cons

On summer and autumn weekends, the streets in Wellsboro can be clogged with traffic. Wellsboro has a McDonald’s and a Dunkin’ Donuts, but it is still a small and isolated town. The closest Wal-Mart, for example, is in Mansfield.

“The very things we like are the things that 18-year-olds growing up here don’t like,” Mr. Wolf said.

The Real-Estate Market

Richard Tickner, an agent for Koch Homestead Realty in Wellsboro, estimated that the value of homes in Wellsboro and in the region has increased by 12 to 15 percent since 2000.

Mr. Tickner had his best year ever in 2006, but said: “We don’t get the great big ups and the great big downs as in other places. It’s very stable.”

Kathy Doty, a broker with Penn Oak Realty in Wellsboro, said: “We always appreciate in value, but it’s a slow, steady climb. People realize they’re moving here because they like the area.”

Mr. Wilcox, the Century 21 agent, said that second homes were used differently now than they had been in the past. State Route 287, which weaves through mountains north into town, is speckled with hunting cabins that are now used at times other than deer season.

“When I was growing up, people would come up and use their hunting camps one or two weeks the whole year,” Mr. Wilcox said. “Now, they’re using them two or three months out of every year.”

Paul and Ellen Harrison, empty-nesters who own a general contracting business in Easton, Pa., bought a two-bedroom cabin on eight isolated acres west of town in 2001 for $105,000. They nearly sold the cabin two years later for $140,000, but decided to keep the property after prospective buyers backed out.

Mr. Harrison estimates that they spend every third weekend at the cabin, which sits among thousands of white birch trees. They have rented the cabin to cover their costs (their Web site is www.whitebirchcabins.com), but Mr. Harrison said they were thinking about keeping the place to themselves.

“It’s pretty hard to leave once we get there,” he said.

Lay of the Land

POPULATION 3,342, according to a 2005 estimate by the Census Bureau. Tioga County’s population is estimated to be about 41,000. The population of the county can swell to approximately 80,000 on summer and fall weekends.

SIZE 4.9 square miles.

LOCATION North-central Pennsylvania. Wellsboro is about 50 miles north of Williamsport, 135 miles north of Harrisburg, 230 miles northwest of Philadelphia and 240 miles northwest of New York City.

WHO’S BUYING Mostly residents from south-central Pennsylvania cities, like Reading, Harrisburg and Lancaster, and residents of the Philadelphia suburbs.

GETTING THERE From the New York area, take Interstate 80 west to Exit 210B, to Route 15 north, to Route 6, then 12 miles west into town.

WHILE YOU’RE LOOKING The Sherwood Motel (2 Main Street, 570-724-3424; www.sherwoodmotel.org) offers rates of $79 to $105 from May 1 to the first weekend in December, and $63 to $73 at other times. La Belle Auberge, at 129 Main Street, and La Petite Auberge, 3 Charles Street (570-724-3288; www.nellesinns.com), two bed-and-breakfasts on the west side of town, offer rooms starting at $155 on weekends from May through early December, and $135 for the rest of the year.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 11:05 AM

Doherty speaks, Mellow sucks

Med school may move

BY NICHOLE DOBO
STAFF WRITER
04/07/2007

The $35 million state grant for the Medical College of Northeast Pennsylvania specifies Scranton as the school’s home, but the state senator who drafted the earmark says the requirement can be “easily” removed.

Meanwhile, Mayor Chris Doherty and an analyst for a Washington, D.C.-based think tank said it would be a mistake to build the school anywhere else.

“It is not a big deal legislatively, if at all, to change the language,” said Sen. Robert J. Mellow, D-Peckville, who is also a member of the regional consortium behind the college. “That could easily be changed to any other county.”

The $35 million grant represents about 40 percent of the cash needed to get the college off the drawing board.

The regional consortium has stopped referring to the school as a “Scranton medical college” and started calling it a “northeast and northcentral Pennsylvania project,” despite the House bill language specifying the money as a city-based grant, because it believes cheaper land might be found elsewhere, Mr. Mellow said.

“This is not a Scranton project,” Mr. Mellow said of the college, which was trumpeted as a multimillion-dollar economic driver for the city.

The school could pump $30 million into Scranton by 2015, according to a consortium-funded feasibility study. When announcing the grant, Gov. Ed Rendell said a Scranton medical school would “help support the city’s impressive turnaround.”

The shift from the Scranton focus came after land values in the city increased when a medical college was announced, Mr. Mellow said. Publicity surrounding possible locations of the school caused landowners to start jacking up prices, he said. Scranton has not been ruled out, but the consortium wants to shop around, he said.

“I have a fiduciary responsibility to taxpayers,” Mr. Mellow said.

If needed, Mr. Mellow said he will arrange to have the house bill’s wording changed so the cash will follow the medical school. The only people who care if the college is located in the city are “Scrantonians,” he said.

The city has made presentations on “less than a dozen” potential campus sites, Mr. Doherty said. A city location would benefit the most people, because the city is the largest in Northeastern Pennsylvania and home to three hospitals.

“I think the investment should be in the city,” the mayor said.

That sentiment was echoed by Mark Muro, policy director at the Washington D.C.-based Brookings Institution. There would be a benefit to linking the medical school to Scranton because it will help build “critical mass” in the city and region by clustering institutions of higher learning.

As for increased costs of land for a medical school site, Mr. Muro said it is to be expected that land value will increase as the city is revitalized.

“Property values are, to an extent, a measure of desirability,” he said. “It’s not the end of the world for Scranton to be a desirable place.”

Contact the writer: ndobo@timesshamrock.com

©The Times-Tribune 2007

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 12:34 PM

Mellow's constituency

The 22nd District includes all of Lackawanna County; the boroughs of Avoca, Dupont and Duryea in Luzerne County; the borough of Mount Pocono and the townships of Barrett, Coolbaugh and Paradise in Monroe County.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast