HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 9:29 PM
Community Guy

Golden Bears Hockey vs Red Deer Polytechnic Kings last night for their first exhibition game of the year. The Bears took it 4-1 along with a fancy new (unnecessary and invasive in my mind) screen. I do love the old barn but those beer lineups are something else.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 9:35 PM
Community Guy

Dent/Pharm

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 1:54 PM
Community Guy

Exciting news for the UofA and a solid choice as leader of this initiative.

---
Greg Dewling, MBA, ICD.D
• 1st
President and CEO

Congratulate Greg for starting a new position as President and CEO at University of Alberta Properties Trust
---

Expect to see a lot of movement on their lands over the next 10 years+

https://ualbertapropertiestrustinc.ca/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:05 PM
Community Guy

WOW! Thank you Ken!

Sarah Ryan
@SarahRyanYEG
UPDATE:
@UAlberta
says the Ring Houses have been saved! Sold to Primavera Development Group. "The four 100-year-old houses—plus two additional U of A East Campus Village houses—will become the iconic centrepieces of an arts and sculpture community development project." #yeg

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 5:29 PM

Ken!

You just love to see it!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 8:52 PM

Ken, thank you for coming to the rescue of these beautiful homes!!. I hope the City comes through with a site that showcases these in the best way possible and at the same time the location ensures they contribute to the fabric of Edmonton and as an arts hub.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 2:44 PM
Community Guy

Looking forward to reading this; curious to learn more about Indira's experience at the UofA, which from most reports was a bit of a mess, distanced and without direction. I met her on a few occasions and really enjoyed those conversations, but there was always a question around her commitment and effectiveness. Perhaps this will shed some light on some of that...

---
Nerve: Lessons on Leadership From Two Women Who Went First.

Indira Samarasekera and Martha Piper talk about lessons they’ve learned from their lives and careers as leaders.

October 13, 2021 By Lisa Szabo

https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2021/1...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 3:23 AM
Community Guy

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...eid=b81cde227f

The land trust is also moving ahead in the new year on the West 240, a 220-acre parcel acquired in stages early in the U of A’s history and used for decades for its agricultural research.

“West 240 is a prime infill development for the city of Edmonton,” Dewling said, adding that extensive stakeholder engagement will take place as planning proceeds in 2022.

Sandwiched between the smaller neighbourhoods of Landsdowne and Grandview Heights and bordered by the Whitemud Ravine and 122nd Street, the property is bigger than the City of Edmonton’s Exhibition Lands site and 40% as large as the massive Blatchford airport redevelopment site, which has a target population of 30,000 residents.

https://uapt.ca

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 3:30 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 8:04 AM

What ever happened to the City getting rid of parking requirements? All I see is parking on all those options.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
What ever happened to the City getting rid of parking requirements? All I see is parking on all those options.
just because parking is not required by the city doesn’t mean it’s no longer needed…

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
“West 240 is a prime infill development for the city of Edmonton,” Dewling said, adding that extensive stakeholder engagement will take place as planning proceeds in 2022.
For the love of all things holy, keep the city off that site, lest Blatchford 2.0 show up in theatres.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 9:00 PM
Community Guy

This is the U of A Land Trust/development group, not the CEO.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
There are several reasons UBC works; one of them is you don't need a car to live there. I don't see that in this development, which I find disappointing.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
There are several reasons UBC works; one of them is you don't need a car to live there. I don't see that in this development, which I find disappointing.
you might not need a car but that doesn’t mean there’s no parking nothing that this doesn’t show on street parking or private parkades and lots: https://parking.ubc.ca/map

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 5:24 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
You don't?

I lived at 16th and Westbrook at UBC for a year and our family continues to own a place there. While much improved over the last two decades, the vehicular traffic still outpaces the footfall.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
you might not need a car but that doesn’t mean there’s no parking nothing that this doesn’t show on street parking or private parkades and lots: https://parking.ubc.ca/map
You're absolutely right and I'm not arguing people don't use their cars at UBC. But in two of the scenarios above, at least 50% of all the land is used for cars, including roads and parking. In the other two, my rough calculations show about 40% of the land or more is dedicated to cars. There's no obvious bike infrastructure and no obvious way for a bus to pass through, even if ETS wanted to route one that way. How can that be acceptable in this day and age?

I like the density they're aiming for, and I just feel the plan could be so much better and more financially beneficial for the university.

I'm no urban planner, but how about putting the parking underground and keeping a lot of the space a nod to the plot's agricultural roots. It would cost more, but would people pay a premium to live in that kind of special place?

That's really my point about UBC -- people pay a premium to live in the "forest" and near the ocean (not that I would, mind you, but it attracts a certain market).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:07 PM

I think having grocery and a good enough assortment of retail on site should make it a nice community hub. It's serviced by three transit connections but I think people will prefer to have a car if they had a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
You don't?

I lived at 16th and Westbrook at UBC for a year and our family continues to own a place there. While much improved over the last two decades, the vehicular traffic still outpaces the footfall.
Until they extend Skytrain to Westbrook Village, it's a bit of an outlier. Even though it is serviced by a rapidbus route and three frequent local bus routes as well as a community shuttle, there are no bus services directly downtown or the most important rapidbus service, the 99 B-Line.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:56 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 8:52 PM
Community Guy

From the most recent GOA budget. I assume this is captured within the existing structure?

'$49.6 million over three years to begin construction of the University of Alberta Hospital Brain Centre - Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit'

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton