HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
Is that a fait accompli? Has it already been approved, or is it necessary somehow because of the site itself?
I don't know what the latest on this development is, but the original plan still showed the old Vic's building on the edge of the new parking lot. Now that Vic's has crossed the street and the old building still stands empty despite a for lease sign, maybe there's an opportunity to rethink the design--- wishful thinking, I know.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
Setting anything further back would just bring it closer to the rail line and scrubby railway property. I agree that it's a big win having this front Pembina like the brand new Point just a bit south. Too bad the proposed design for the apartments on the Cambridge Hotel site have a parking lot fronting Pembina.
The City now owns the land north of the pemby site, north of the old parker ave right of way. CN used to won that land, and still owns all the land south of Parker.

They could've made the pemby thing an L shape or something else to use the land adjacent to the transitway, Jubilee loops, etc which is now land locked.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The City now owns the land north of the pemby site, north of the old parker ave right of way. CN used to won that land, and still owns all the land south of Parker.

They could've made the pemby thing an L shape or something else to use the land adjacent to the transitway, Jubilee loops, etc which is now land locked.
I'm guessing they are building what they can afford and would rather just work with the lot they own rather than jump through the bureaucratic hoops of buying city land that the city may or may not want to keep, slowing down any plans they had in place in exchange for uncertainty.

The builders may even have a phase 2 in mind where they buy that land off the city, who knows. If it really came down to it and land values justified it enough, that lot will be developed. Parker could be extended to service this building with no connection to Pembina if needed.

Pembina also has no shortage of low value strip malls with parking fronting the street that can also be developed into something better.

The city is in need of these types of densification projects and this is the ideal development along a corridor like Pembina, near transit, and the "they should've done it this way instead" tone just irked me.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I'm guessing they are building what they can afford and would rather just work with the lot they own rather than jump through the bureaucratic hoops of buying city land that the city may or may not want to keep, slowing down any plans they had in place in exchange for uncertainty.

The builders may even have a phase 2 in mind where they buy that land off the city, who knows. If it really came down to it and land values justified it enough, that lot will be developed. Parker could be extended to service this building with no connection to Pembina if needed.

Pembina also has no shortage of low value strip malls with parking fronting the street that can also be developed into something better.

The city is in need of these types of densification projects and this is the ideal development along a corridor like Pembina, near transit, and the "they should've done it this way instead" tone just irked me.
You're right on most of that. However, Parker can not be extended. It was closed as part of the BRT project. The City entered into agreement with CN to close this crossing. They could go through the battle to get another crossing agreement in place I suppose. Or just leave the land as is.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 6:01 PM

I had thought that Parker has been closed for many years, long before BRT. Didn't it end in a little loop before it would have hit Pembina?
How large is the city-owned property north of the old Pemby? It seems a pretty tight space with the rail line and the bridge lane that merges with Pembina.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 6:59 PM

That's it. Parker crossed both tracks and dead-ended as a loop. It was closed at Wynne St. in 2018/19 during the BRT project.

Probably about 80 square feet available in there. Maybe it can be come some kind of park or other feature along the pathway network.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:51 PM

Thanks for clearing up that Parker dead end. I agree, that little spot of City owned land would make a nice little park. Can’t see much use for it otherwise.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 4:52 PM

1011 Pembina

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan