HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Couldn't resist this pic, and the thought of the potential 900 or 1,000 footer that will dramatically rise here, in the very center of this photo...

proforged.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:52 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Don't get my hopes up!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
Don't get my hopes up!
It'll be one or the other. Either is fine for that site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 9:50 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It'll be one or the other. Either is fine for that site.
I was talking more about how the economy (even if we are coming out of the recession) might do this one in.

In my book, 100 feet means nothing.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I was talking more about how the economy (even if we are coming out of the recession) might do this one in.

In my book, 100 feet means nothing.
In think in this area, particularly when this tower is directly accross the street from 3 tall towers, that extra 100 ft would give it a more dominating appearance. But it would still be taller than the others as a 900 footer. As far as the economy goes, things won't stay in the dump forever. When all is said and done, whether the building is completed 4, 5, or even 6 years from now makes no difference either.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:25 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
In think in this area, particularly when this tower is directly accross the street from 3 tall towers, that extra 100 ft would give it a more dominating appearance. But it would still be taller than the others as a 900 footer. As far as the economy goes, things won't stay in the dump forever. When all is said and done, whether the building is completed 4, 5, or even 6 years from now makes no difference either.
And if I recall correctly, this is being developed by Extell, the same guys who are just about ready to start on the WPC. I'd say they know how to get their financing.

Right?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
And if I recall correctly, this is being developed by Extell, the same guys who are just about ready to start on the WPC. I'd say they know how to get their financing.
Assuming they have it. Right now they are just excavating the site (which is a good enough sign for now). I don't think you'll see anything with the WPC until next year, though that's not really too far off.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:38 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Couldn't resist this pic, and the thought of the potential 900 or 1,000 footer that will dramatically rise here, in the very center of this photo...

proforged.

Oh god don't get my hopes up either, that would be too sweet.

Ny is such a tease man, let's hope this thing doesn't get shortened like Tower verre

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:01 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Oh god don't get my hopes up either, that would be too sweet.

Ny is such a tease man, let's hope this thing doesn't get shortened like Tower verre
This won't get shortened like Verre because this doesn't need to go through the same review process to get extra approvals like Verre.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 12:59 AM
Vamotabbe Pa

Quote:
Assuming they have it. Right now they are just excavating the site (which is a good enough sign for now). I don't think you'll see anything with the WPC until next year, though that's not really too far off.
Looks like 157 W. 57th St. could be the 'first' of the three (new) mayor midtown supertalls under construction.

By the end of the year, foundation work for 157 W. 57th could begin.. am i right?

Hopefully the Tower will reach 1000+, because that's what midtown deserves.

Although a 900+ Tower will be great for Midtown aswell

(As for now: WPC & Tower Verre Construction will occur next year?)

Is that all correct?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:47 PM
Charismatic Stallion

From KZ1000

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 11:36 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Great shot.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 4:30 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^I see rebar sticking up out of the bottom of the pit.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 6:09 PM
Vamotabbe Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Skyline View Post
Looks like 157 W. 57th St. could be the 'first' of the three (new) mayor midtown supertalls under construction.

By the end of the year, foundation work for 157 W. 57th could begin.. am i right?

Is that all correct?
Anyone???

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 8:21 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Skyline View Post

Is that all correct?
if you ask me, foundation work will begin soon. but when the pilling starts this tower will be officially in the u/c section.
and yes this tower will exceed 1000ft, cause 953ft is only the height to the highest occupied floor; not to mention that the architect said it will be ~1080ft.

EDIT: WPC construction should begin next year! and TV will be built, the question is if it keeps its shape and height.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 11:40 PM

Well, I see someone beat me to posting my own picture..

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Well, I see someone beat me to posting my own picture..
Right. I sent a request that credit and a link be given, but we'll correct that.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 12:41 AM
Vamotabbe Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
if you ask me, foundation work will begin soon. but when the pilling starts this tower will be officially in the u/c section.
and yes this tower will exceed 1000ft, cause 953ft is only the height to the highest occupied floor; not to mention that the architect said it will be ~1080ft.

EDIT: WPC construction should begin next year! and TV will be built, the question is if it keeps its shape and height.
Thanx Hunser

BTW: a little ironic isn't it? There where we all were understanding - both towers: 'Tower Verre and WPC' were supposed to be constructed soon, This Tower ''which is already being excavated'' is actually beating them both already. That proofs how quick things can change & turn around i guess.

Last edited by New Skyline; Oct 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 10:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
While we wait on a rendering, some other Extell related news on a development just down the street...
http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...t-twist?page=0

Plot Twist

By Eliot Brown
October 6, 2009

Waiting for plans of both 57th Street towers, but I'll up keep tabs on the other until we have enough info to move it...
http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...rich-buildings

Planned Extell Skyscaper Faces Landmarks Test Over B.F. Goodrich Buildings

By Eliot Brown
November 9, 2009

Extell Development's skyscraper planned for 57th Street and Broadway will face a big test Tuesday, as the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission is set to decide the fate of two connected buildings built by the B.F. Goodrich Company in 1909.

Just what that fate will be is unclear to many involved, a rare twist with a commission where decisions almost always seem predetermined.

Tuesday morning, the LPC is slated to vote on whether to landmark the two buildings, a move that Extell says would force it to scrap the giant mixed-use tower it has planned for the site. In recent months, the company has mounted an aggressive defense against the commission--which typically designates every building it votes to consider--enlisting unions and four powerful elected officials to push back at the designations.

The result was a compromise to designate one of the two buildings--the main headquarters of B.F. Goodrich, located on Broadway--allowing it to destroy the other, located on 57th Street. Preservationists contend this is not enough, saying that if one of the buildings is landmark quality so is the other, and the commission should not bend to political pressure. Extell counters that landmarking both buildings would ruin its prime development site, and force the cancellation of what it says is a $1.5 billion tower.

Extell has told others involved in the discussions that the company believes its compromise plan has the support of the commission's chair, Robert Tierney, though how many of the other votes it will get remains unclear. Preservationists involved in the process also claim they have some of the votes on the 11-member commission.

Should the commission landmark both buildings, Extell would still have another at bat as the City Council has the power to veto any landmark designation (though it's incredibly rare for the Council to take such a vote). Giant skyscrapers don't usually play well with the populist crowd, and Council members could easily be painted as ignoring preservation concerns at the request of a developer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 9:53 PM

Crain's

Extell gets landmark break on W. 57th

By Theresa Agovino

Published: November 10, 2009 - 3:37 pm

The Landmarks Preservation Commission handed Extell Development Co. a huge victory Tuesday when it shelved plans to vote on a building the company wants to raze to construct a huge mixed-used project. In August, Extell Chief Executive Gary Barnett told the commission that the company couldn't incorporate the façade of 225 W. 57th St. into the development and that designating it a landmark would kill the project and perhaps cause his lenders to foreclose on the site.

“Needless to say we are very happy with the outcome,” said Raizy Haas, senior vice president of development at Extell. “It's not just good for us. It is good for the city—it will create many construction and permanent jobs.”

The commission's decision to call off the vote was surprising because it typically doesn't landmark buildings against the will of its owner. But last summer, the commission signaled its interest in designating two buildings on the site owned by Extell by starting the process with an act known as “calendaring,” or putting them on the schedule for review. Later, the City Council, which has the power to override a Landmarks Preservation Commission vote, joined in Mr. Barnett's opposition to landmarking 225 W. 57th St.

The Council's stand was one reason the vote was called off, according to a statement by commission Chair Robert Tierney. He added that after considering information on the building, including analysis supplied by Extell, he didn't think the property was worthy of the designation. In the past, the commission has been accused of being too developer friendly.

However, the commission did vote to landmark 1780 Broadway, between West 57th and West 58th streets, saying it is a noteworthy reminder of the automobile industry's prominence in New York in the early 20th century. Both buildings were owned by BF Goodrich but the Broadway property once served as its headquarters. At least two other buildings in that neighborhood have been landmarked because of their connection to the automobile industry.

Mr. Barnett had said he could work the Broadway building into the development even though it would present costly challenges. Extell plans to construct a tower of up to 1.5 million square feet that would include retail and office space, a hotel, condos and maybe even trading floors. Ms. Haas said it was too soon to say when the company would break ground because three or four buildings still needed to be demolished and an architect hasn't been selected.

Extell is already developing a hotel a block over on West 57th Street.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...911109990/1058

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive