HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 2:51 AM
Vancouver Moderator

River District (East Fraserlands) | u/c

Jlousa brought this first to our attention on Feb 5, 2008 on the General Updates thread with a 3D rendering. I just thought it's about time to put this up as it's own seperate thread now. I live actually really close to the area and I can easily provide updates once construction begins.

Rendering of East Fraserlands ~ Source: jlousa

Quote:

East Fraserlands - Introduction

Since 2003, the City of Vancouver has been engaged in a planning process to develop a new sustainable, complete community at East Fraserlands – 130 acres of industrial land south of Marine Way and east of Kerr Street to Boundary Road. The site was previously home to the Canadian White Pine Mill and remains zoned for industrial use.

The current plan approved for the site is for a predominantly residential community of approximately 12,800 people in a variety of housing types with a commercial centre in the form of a 'High Street'. The new community would also include parks, a community centre, schools, childcare facilities, a riverfront walk, and other public amenities. The new community would be built out over a period of about 25 years. To view the map of the area, click here.
Source: City of Vancouver

Quote:

East Fraserlands - Phase One Rezoning
The City received a rezoning application for phase one of East Fraserlands from the developer ParkLane Homes in February 2007. Proposed in the first phase of development are a variety of housing types, a neighbourhood retail district, a community centre, parks, cycling and pedestrian ways, two day care facilities, a 30,000 square foot community centre, enhancements to the Fraser River foreshore, public art and transit service improvements. The boundaries of the proposed phase one area are shown on the map below.

Source: City of Vancouver

Quote:
Overview/Update

After an extensive planning and consultation period, the East Fraserlands project is moving forward through the City of Vancouver's planning and approval process. Below is an overview of this process with updates on the progress of this exciting new waterfront community. Please check back regularly for future updates.
Note: For further information on the City of Vancouver's development and approval processes, please visit www.vancouver.ca.

Step 1: Policy Statement - PROCESS COMPLETED
A policy statement describes the general planning principles that will guide the future development of a site. This document addresses questions of land use, transportation, building form, community facilities and provides broad direction for how those questions will be answered in subsequent planning stages. By representing both public and private interests, a policy statement provides the general framework for further planning and decision-making.
Update: December 2004
The East Fraserlands Policy Statement was unanimously adopted by the Vancouver City Council in December of 2004 following a series of City of Vancouver staff workshops, public open houses and a community workshop.

Step 2: Official Development Plan - PROCESS COMPLETED
An Official Development Plan (ODP) provides a more detailed level of planning by expanding on the ideas established by the Policy Statement. The ODP will present the necessary framework for designing zoning, housing, amenity, servicing, shoreline policies, etc.
Update: February 2006
To initiate the ODP process, ParkLane, WesGroup and the City of Vancouver organized a comprehensive eight day Design Charette in April of 2005 to create a world class plan for the East Fraserlands community.
Click here to get more information on this innovative public process, one of the first of its kind in Canada. From the work completed at this charette and subsequent meetings with city staff and the community, ParkLane/WesGroup completed their ODP document and submitted the first draft in January of 2006.
Update: November 2006
On November 14th, 2006, the East Fraserlands (EFL) ODP received unanimous approval by Vancouver City Council. Speaker after speaker from the local community came forward to give their full support of the ODP document and the work completed to date on this new development. The ODP will present the necessary framework for designing, zoning, housing, amenity, servicing, shoreline policies, etc.

Step 3: Rezoning - IN PROGRESS
Zoning guidelines are established by the City of Vancouver and are intended to encourage proper land use and building compatibility. Each area of land in the city has been designated/zoned for a particular use such as industrial, commercial, residential etc. When a landowner wishes to change the zoning of his/her land, he/she must apply to the City of Vancouver for rezoning. Once submitted, this application will be processed through the Director of Planning, the City's Urban Design Panel and City Council. The time required to process a rezoning can vary depending on the complexity of the project.
Update: February 2007
ParkLane/Wesgroup submitted the rezoning application for the first phase of East Fraserlands on February 28th 2007. Proposed in the first phase of development are a variety of housing types, a neighbourhood retail district, parks, cycling and pedestrian ways, daycare facilities, a 30,000 sq. ft. community centre, enhancements to the Fraser River foreshore, public art and transit service improvements.
Click Here for the 1st phase rezoning map

Update: April 2007
On April 24th, 2007 East Fraserlands Master Plan wins Canadian Institute of Planners Award for Excellence. Click
here to read our Press Release for more information.
On Wednesday, April the 25th 2007 the Vancouver Urban Design Panel (UDP) reviewed the EFL’s first phase rezoning submission at a marathon session. The rezoning received unanimous approval from the UDP, another remarkable accomplishment for East Fraserlands.

Update: May 2007
The City of Vancouver hosted Open Houses on May 27th and May 30th, 2007 for the community to view and comment on the rezoning application for phase one of the development.

Update: June 2007
East Fraserlands has won the BC Smart Growth Award for best development proposal on June the 1st 2007 presented by the Smart Growth BC Foundation.
Click here to view the press release on this award.

Step 4: Development Permit
A development permit builds upon a rezoning by-law by providing greater detail for a particular building site. The applicant to use or develop property in accordance with the City's zoning regulations

Step 5: Building Permit
A building permit allows the applicant to construct the development proposal.
Source: Park Lane Homes

Quote:

[img]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3379/20viewimpact0000vv6.jpg/img]

[img][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Adrian/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]

Display Boards compressed to size ~ Source: City of Vancouver

Quote:
It's Current Condition:

Pictures by Me

This development can be compared to the Olympic Village. Sure it's not in the prime area of Vancouver nor are the buildings as tall, but this development is huge. I can tell you from living in Fraserview that the area is amazing and I didn't realize how large this thing is. Great to see there is some mix retail and office space. The South Marine Drive area is a little too quiet right now, but this would help make things better.

On the transportation side, TransLink has said they would lengthen a few routes to serve this area. Marine Drive is underserved by transit and this development would definetly help link the community with the rest of the region.

- #29 Eliott/29 Ave STN [my route!!!] will go down Eliott then on Marine Way, then to the transit focal point at "the village"
- #26 Joyce/29 Ave STN will change, go down to Kerr then on Marine Way, then to the transit focal point at "the village"
- #116 Edmonds STN/Metrotown STN would reach to the transit focal point at "the village"
- According to the City of Vancouver, piers and dock structures could be used for "future ferry services"

I think the #20 route should reach here too, but I guess TransLink has said no to that. Please note this deata is from 2006 so it might change.

Last edited by deasine; May 6, 2008 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 4:07 AM
senior something

I hope they leave enough space to have two sets of tracks for any future LRT/Streetcar/DMU/Interurban that will eventually go along those tracks....

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 5:19 AM

^ they have, look closely for the median that runs through the development.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 9:13 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Images/Information Updated

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 5:05 PM
loafing in lotusland

I wonder if it would be good location to be an early buyer.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 5:11 PM

It will be a great project,and will finally add some services to the phase that was done in the 90's, but without dedicated rapid tranist, you are basically car bound in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 6:42 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
It will be a great project,and will finally add some services to the phase that was done in the 90's, but without dedicated rapid tranist, you are basically car bound in the middle of nowhere.
That's true. I thought of that as well. It would be nice if there was a commitment to a DMU Service. It has great potential, excellent road access, waterfront access, etc.

Unfortunately, it's sorely lacking in transit.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 7:05 PM

The first rendering just screams out - transit oriented development - uhh, but no transit....

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 7:25 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Expect to see a streetcar like line from 22nd station (maybe New West) till at least the Marine drive station (hopefully all the way back up Arbutus connecting also to the M-Line extension), before this project is complete. Remember though this project has a ~10yr buildout. Those tracks have been envisioned to be part of the development since the start. The problem is you can't justify building the line until the people are already there.
I think that line will even be profitable, it'll connect in theory the Expo/Millenium and Canada Line, serve quite a few dense residential areas as well a huge shopping zone (Marine+Byrne+Kerrisdale) and large employment centres will all the industry in that area.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 8:50 PM
loafing in lotusland

That would be nice, jlousa. You looking at investing in this area?

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 9:37 PM

I've heard about this street car line, and Jlousa you seem to have some more info on it than I have seen. Is it going to be at grade but seperated from traffic on the existing RR tracks for portions... like a streetcar/LRT hybrid?

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 10:17 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The sketches I've seen are only from 22nd station to Cambie and they are at grade, there isn't an abudance of traffic that would cross over the line in that area, so it should be fine not to mention cheap to implement, according to the sketches traffic is controlled with regular train crossing arms, some of the road crossings would be shut down completely.
I reckon we will see alot more info as EFL progresses, phase one is set for 2009 so it won't be much longer.

Not looking to invest anymore in the area.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 10:31 PM
loafing in lotusland

I'd love to see some information on it, if it was out there. It'd certainly be tricky to get it to cross Marine Way near 22nd station. I'd assume that it would cross at Trapp and continue along 7th.

Seems it would be simple to run it West, however.

Running to New West Station seems to make more sense... as then you'd get the catchment on the Waterfront, which is separated by railway.

edit: thanks jlousa. It will be interesting to see this one develop.

Last edited by twoNeurons; May 5, 2008 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 2:22 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
I wonder if it would be good location to be an early buyer.
It's a perfect place for an early buyer/first buyer, albeit not the most convenient for transit. In the long run, like jlousa said, there would probably be some train service to Marine Drive Station/New Westminster. Having said that, there are many buses that serve the area. It's an approx. 15 min ride to 29th Avenue Station using the #26 and #29, which run every 15 min. during the day. So you can see a bus from the "village" every 7 min to 29th Avenue Station. There's also the #26 to Joyce too, but it takes slightly longer than #29/#26 to 29th Avenue Station. 116 to Metrotown/Edmonds station currently runs every half an hour, but I can see that upgraded to 15 as more people live in the area. The Marine Drive Crossing, full of big box stores such as Canadian Tire, Price Smart Foods, London Drugs, Staples, Walmart, etc. is a 10 min. drive/15 min bus ride on the #116. Up Kerr street is Champlain plaza with Extra Foods, Kins Farm, BMO, Starbucks, etc., 7 min. bus ride, 20 min. walk.

I'm pretty sure there will be at least a small community market in the area. Nesters? Capers? Perhaps...

If I can afford the area, I'll definetly buy a location there. Stay tuned for prices of condos/townhomes/apartments at http://www.parklane.com/eastfraserlands/

Last edited by deasine; May 6, 2008 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 2:31 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm very interesting in this project and I'm happy that it is progressing.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
It's a perfect place for an early buyer/first buyer.....

.... If I can afford the area, I'll definetly buy a location there. Stay tuned for prices of condos/townhomes/apartments at http://www.parklane.com/eastfraserlands/
i agree this is a great location. the only drawback i would consider is bad air quality. ever driven on the knight street bridge and seen where all the exhaust from mitchell island goes? straight towards this area.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 3:14 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
i agree this is a great location. the only drawback i would consider is bad air quality. ever driven on the knight street bridge and seen where all the exhaust from mitchell island goes? straight towards this area.
Actually it isn't bad. The only thing I notice is the "sea smell" from Fraser River. Then again, I don't live at South Marine Drive so I really don't know exactly.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:37 PM
Vancouver Moderator

yeah it's taking a little while... my safari usually isn't this slow -_-"

Thanks for the updates... =)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 6:51 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

As it currently stands the project calls for over 5Million sqft of development, everything will be build LEED Gold/Built Green, the tallest towers are now 25 storyies, 2 new bikeways included. Also the creation of a new view cone towards Mt Baker. ( I know that one will get some love on here).

I can burn a copy of the files onto a CD if someone wants them as I now most people don't want to d/l over 400mb of data just to look.
There's lots of great info in the files.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver