HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:13 PM

That still does not make it any less disgusting of a practice. Along with being a huge slap in the face to the people who actually call this city home, and are struggling to buy a place for themselves in this over priced hyped market.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That still does not make it any less disgusting of a practice. Along with being a huge slap in the face to the people who actually call this city home, and are struggling to buy a place for themselves in this over priced hyped market.
Vote for huge taxes on foreign buyers.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:23 PM

I actually do agree with that, maybe not for their first or even second unit they buy, but after that each extra unit purchased should come with a substantial rise in taxes.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:30 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

I actually do agree with [much higher taxes on foreign buyers], maybe not for their first or even second unit they buy, but after that each extra unit purchased should come with a substantial rise in taxes.
Talk about discriminatory.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:34 PM

Why?? Do the same for investors here as well, after your second property purchsed taxes go way up!

Not everyone here is born with a silver spoon in their mouth and the hording of units from investors to artificially increase the prices is getting tiresome and is forcing lots of young university graduated entrepreneurs out of our city.

Especially since Metro-Vancouver's average incomes do not match its crazy living expenses.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
If they're suggesting 53 floors, I'm guessing they've deleted floors ending in 4, but not starting with 4 (like they did for Metroplace in Burnaby).

This would seem to indicate that Westbank will not be marketing exclusively to Chinese before opening to the general public? (like they did for Granville/70th)
That's probably cause they can sell out without the help of the chinese. downtown condos are usually targeted to all types of demographics!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I actually do agree with that, maybe not for their first or even second unit they buy, but after that each extra unit purchased should come with a substantial rise in taxes.
Doubt that's gonna happen. what if it's a corporation that buys the units? are they gonna check to see if the director/owner is from out of the country? hard to enforce.

besides, i am in favor of a free market. whoever has the money and wants to pay the price then i am all for it.

no need to tax specific groups. if u are going to tax additional units for owners u might as well do it for everyone.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
The work they've been doing on the Seymour side is the entrance to the presentation centre. It's just a reception area before taking you up to the centre in the atrium.
Nice - it'll be a chance to see the inside of that atrium.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:59 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

Not everyone here is born with a silver spoon in their mouth and the hording of units from investors to artificially increase the prices is getting tiresome and is forcing lots of young university graduated entrepreneurs out of our city.

Especially since Metro-Vancouver's average incomes do not match its crazy living expenses.
Exactly. Therefore, what's forcing "young university graduated entrepreneurs out of our city" is not necessarily high living expenses but the lack of high paying jobs.

Thus, maybe if the city and province focused more on finding solutions which involved decreasing taxes and regulations (the true enemies of entrepreneurship) instead of increasing them, then entrepreneurs would be free to truly flourish and prosper in Vancouver, creating higher incomes for themselves and others.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 17, 2012 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 11:01 PM

Switzerland is a wealthy place to live in large part due to foreigners putting money in their banks. It seems as though Vancouver has become a "real-estate" bank for wealthy Chinese people to invest in. In my estimate this has had the effect of driving up real estate prices (duh) as well as driving our local economy (a lot of construction workers would not have such high-paying jobs if buildings weren't selling). We are also seeing some pretty interesting projects happening rapidly because wealthy people see real estate in Vancouver as a good investment.

Putting up barriers to foreign investment would hurt our economy, kill housing prices (which is bad if you are already a home owner), and kill a lot of these bigger projects this forumn is based around.

Hating on rich Chinese people is so near sighted. Makes me crazy.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
Doubt that's gonna happen. what if it's a corporation that buys the units? are they gonna check to see if the director/owner is from out of the country? hard to enforce.

besides, i am in favor of a free market. whoever has the money and wants to pay the price then i am all for it.

no need to tax specific groups. if u are going to tax additional units for owners u might as well do it for everyone.
And that is why I said in my post after.

And to Prometheus, if you want to see what a complete free market does to an economy look to our south....rules and regulations are what have saved the Canadain banking system from crashing, and the same is true for realistate.

All we are doing now is creating a big bubble, that will hurt us in the long run. Relying on investors (local and foreign) to buy up entire floors or more of units to largely sit empty just to fuel construction jobs is not a good base for an economy

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Genuinely curious: what makes you want to drive away rich buyers instead of simply zoning to allow enough housing for both markets?

I'm all for welcoming people who will be paying luxury-level property taxes but consuming fewer services than the average person who lives here - and it's not like there's some shortage of land that can be significantly upzoned in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:21 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

And to Prometheus, if you want to see what a complete free market does to an economy look to our south....rules and regulations are what have saved the Canadain [sic] banking system from crashing, and the same is true for realistate [sic].
Since this takes us off topic, I will confine myself to one response only:

If you care about the truth, you need to start by actually studying your subject.

There is absolutely nothing about the U.S. financial industry or the U.S real estate industry that resembles a free market. Each of those industries is subjected to a dizzying array of government regulation and interference, both at the state and federal level. The most cursory examination of the subject will tell you this.

The real estate bubble in the U.S., and the financial crisis that followed its collapse, were a direct result of the moral hazards created by U.S. government meddling in the economy, from the Federal Reserve (which kept interests rates artificially low, thereby discouraging savings and encouraging borrowing and speculation), to the Community Reinvestment Act (which encouraged subprime lending by imposing legal liability on banks whose lending policies "discriminated" against lower income persons), to the creation of the two government sponsored enterprises, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (whose mission was to carry out the government's social policy of greater home ownership among lower income persons by acting as a buyer of the millions of subprime loans that the government was encouraging the banks to make, securitizing them and selling them to the major financial institutions). Add to all of that the implicit government policy of "too-big-to-fail," which effectively neutralized the most powerful free market-based corrective of bad business management: bankruptcy.

Thus, the failure of the U.S. financial and real estate markets was a failure of the regulated economy, not the free market. Indeed, it is the discipline and corrective forces inherent in a free market which prevent the very moral hazards that directly led to the housing bubble, its collapse and the financial crisis that followed.

By the way, one of the freest industries in the U.S., i.e., the industry that most resembles a free market, is the high-tech industry, which brings us computers, iPads and smartphones, which get more powerful and less expensive every single day. Thus is the relationship between freedom and creativity.

Last edited by Prometheus; Mar 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
Switzerland is a wealthy place to live in large part due to foreigners putting money in their banks. It seems as though Vancouver has become a "real-estate" bank for wealthy Chinese people to invest in. In my estimate this has had the effect of driving up real estate prices (duh) as well as driving our local economy (a lot of construction workers would not have such high-paying jobs if buildings weren't selling). We are also seeing some pretty interesting projects happening rapidly because wealthy people see real estate in Vancouver as a good investment.

Putting up barriers to foreign investment would hurt our economy, kill housing prices (which is bad if you are already a home owner), and kill a lot of these bigger projects this forumn is based around.

Hating on rich Chinese people is so near sighted. Makes me crazy.
Wrong.

The homeowners who would be significantly hurt would be a small band who bought somewhere within the last 10 years. And their pain would be offset by the gain of those about to enter the housing market.

Who in their right mind would start a business in Vancouver now, with the challenges attracting talent who would have to compete with offshore money to secure housing? Please name a significant foreign investment (barring real estate) that has appreciably added to Vancouver's job pool lately. And anyway, there's nothing stopping offshore money investing in our economy without the inflationary measure of mass real estate purchases that drive up housing costs.

But yes, wouldn't it be devastating to us all if the latest twisting tower didn't go ahead. far more devastating than not having affordable housing...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:43 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Guys we're completely off topic. There are threads covering all the above items. This is the Telus thread.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:52 AM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:53 AM

Edit: off topic.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I got that email too. Damn expensive, but I'm sure it will sell out...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:34 PM

From the pdf:

"Strata fees include TELUS Optik TV, TELUS Optik Internet.. Homes come equipped with TELUS Optik TV and TELUS Optik Internet. Homes also include a state-of-the-art TV and free TELUS HD PVR"

seems like they want you to use Telus services for some reason..

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
From the pdf:

"Strata fees include TELUS Optik TV, TELUS Optik Internet.. Homes come equipped with TELUS Optik TV and TELUS Optik Internet. Homes also include a state-of-the-art TV and free TELUS HD PVR"

seems like they want you to use Telus services for some reason..
Well I am sure if you want to switch to Shaw it wouldn't be a problem. But if all these services are included in your strata. Would you rather settle with Telus services for FREE or pay about $100 for Shaw? No comparison, unless you really hate TELUS for personal reasons. But then again, you wouldn't be living in the building in the first place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver