HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 2:08 AM

AstraZeneca donates $250,000 to H. Fletcher Brown Boys and Girls club in downtown Wilmington for massive renovation!

Quote:
WILMINGTON, Del.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN) announced a $250,000 contribution to help renovate and modernize the H. Fletcher Brown Boys & Girls Club of Wilmington as part of a campaign to improve Boys & Girls Clubs facilities across Delaware.

The AstraZeneca contribution will be used to replace security equipment and the heating, ventilating and air conditioning system at the H. Fletcher Brown Boys & Girls Club. The upgrades are included in Project Renewal, a program launched today by Delaware First Lady Carla Markell to mobilize Delaware volunteers and community to support Boys & Girls Clubs across the state.

“This is really all about Delawareans reaching out and helping each other,” said Markell. “Delaware is a state of neighbors, and neighbors help each other.”

The H. Fletcher Brown Boys & Girls Club is the first facility to go through infrastructure renovations under Project Renewal. It will be followed by volunteer efforts to paint, repair equipment and fix outdoor play areas.

The club serves more than 500 low-income school-age youth. In addition to a more energy-efficient facility, the community impact of the much needed renovations at the H. Fletcher Brown Boys and Girls Club will enable them to provide year-round health and wellness programs for youth in a safe and nurturing environment. It also will allow the club to engage more than 100 new children in the club’s many youth development and after-school programs.

“The Boys & Girls Clubs of Delaware have provided thousands of Wilmington youths with a safe place to learn, play and grow,” said Rich Fante, president, AstraZeneca U.S. and CEO North America. “Our donation is an investment in the current and future generations of Wilmington residents who need security and stability in their lives – all while having fun.”
For more info, click here - http://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/a...vation-project

Last edited by jonesrmj; Oct 1, 2016 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
A concern I have about Wilmington is when they fill in these dead zones with housing, will people really want to live there with all that crime? Cause if so, you aren't going to get much more population?
Crime where? It seems to me that crime in Wilmington is fairly localized by neighborhood and even by block. I used to have a second place on the Riverfront in Justison Landing. I didn't feel uncomfortable walking around, even at night, and don't feel like much crime bleeds over to the Riverfront area or Market Street. And you don't hear about a lot of incidents of crime in these areas. Only a few blocks away, yes. So, there is room for lots of "dead zone" reactivation in the hubs where the crime seems to not be a tremendous issue.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Thanks for sharing. The restoration of the building at 7th and Market will be the best part of this bunch.

Thank god! It's a sin what they did to that building. It's like the Wilmington version of Snellenburg's Department Store.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Crime where? It seems to me that crime in Wilmington is fairly localized by neighborhood and even by block. I used to have a second place on the Riverfront in Justison Landing. I didn't feel uncomfortable walking around, even at night, and don't feel like much crime bleeds over to the Riverfront area or Market Street. And you don't hear about a lot of incidents of crime in these areas. Only a few blocks away, yes. So, there is room for lots of "dead zone" reactivation in the hubs where the crime seems to not be a tremendous issue.
My point is that near downtown, especially across the Brandywine River towards DE-202, that is where the crime is mainly and I'm unsure if people are going to want to be that close to it. The Riverfront is going to feel safe because it's not near the crime. The crime is more north. I don't know, I could be very wrong, its just that's what I've herd.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:32 PM

Quote:
My point is that near downtown, especially across the Brandywine River towards DE-202, that is where the crime is mainly and I'm unsure if people are going to want to be that close to it. The Riverfront is going to feel safe because it's not near the crime. The crime is more north. I don't know, I could be very wrong, its just that's what I've herd.
Downtown has many issues due to the surrounding neighborhoods that are quite violent, murderous, drugs/gangs rampant. It's not like Philly where the "Badlands" are up in North Philly or SW-West Philly. In Wilmington, you've got its "Badlands" a quick walk away, literally surrounding downtown. Hilltop, West Center City, Upper East Side/East Side, 11th Street Bridge, Riverside.... Look at the Shootings map (linked) if unfamiliar. Or the City neighborhood map to see where the hoods are (linked).

Riverfront is its own little enclave, its safe. But Southbridge on the other side of the Christina River (across from the Riverfront) is a neighborhood with all the issues of the hoods I listed above. So I wasn't surprised by hearing some Riverfront residents (privately) express unease about the planned commuter bridge to link the two areas. (just reporting what I've heard).

Basically King Street, marked on map, is close enough to Rodney Square to be viewed as "central downtown":
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/81518166/

http://www.ci.wilmington.de.us/about...gton/city-maps

Crime has been bad this past summer. Even Brandywine Park which is quite nice and surrounded by good neighborhoods, muggings in the park of people out on walks are occurring all the time, in broad daylight. Also, upper middle class areas of Trolley Square (Forty Acres), and the Highlands - have been hit with tons of car break-ins and property thefts recently. (There's been like 40+ Audi break-ins in the past 6 weeks, apparently Audi's are a hot item right now on the black market). Wilm PD has set up a special task force and notified residents via social media, but no arrests have been made.

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Oct 3, 2016 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 4:07 PM

Speaking of the Riverfront - phase 2 of the Harlan Flats project by Buccini/Pollin continues:

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Speaking of the Riverfront - phase 2 of the Harlan Flats project by Buccini/Pollin continues:
Where is this being built? I'm familiar with the phase I location. And there was a grassy lot across from 123 Justison/the Star Building. Is that where this is? I didn't think there was land immediately adjacent to the current completed Harlan Flats buildings.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 4:27 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7366...8i6656!6m1!1e1

^^ It's on S. Madison St. - right across the street from the IMAX.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7366...8i6656!6m1!1e1

^^ It's on S. Madison St. - right across the street from the IMAX.
Looks good. Cheers.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 2:57 PM

While Wilmington's current development is not involving skyscrapers just yet, it has been booming with projects all along the riverfront and downtown with dead zones. I think that Wilmington is trying to make the riverfront as it's main attraction for visitors. I'm just curious though, which project are you most exited about?

*Harlan Flats Phase 2
*1300 Market Street Marriott
*S Market Street connector bridge to Shipyard Drive.
*Residents @ Midtown Park
*Whatever happens to the 1101 Jefferson Street Lot.
*Rockford Falls Towers
*7th and Market Street Residential projects.

If you ask me, I'm excited for the Marriott and what they do with the 1101 Jefferson Street lot. Be sure to let me know what you think which project excites you.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 3:21 PM

Chemours in talks to buy Bank of America building

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ding/91324228/

Chemours is currently in the DuPont Building. From the article:

"If Chemours relocates to the Bank of America Building, also known as Bracebridge I, it is not immediately clear what would happen to the DuPont Building. Chemours is the building's only tenant. Buccini/Pollin had applied for state money to purchase the building from Chemours, renovate it and lease it back to the $6 billion chemical company. However, a deal was never consummated."....

"Chemours is searching for about 200,000 square feet of space, Vergnano said in August. But only two downtown Wilmington office buildings have that much available space. The Brandywine Building at 1000 N. West St. has about 240,000 square feet of open space, and the Hercules Building at 1313 N. Market St. has roughly 200,000 square feet available. More than 200,000 square feet would be available in the Bank of America Building if its namesake tenant moves out."

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
While Wilmington's current development is not involving skyscrapers just yet, it has been booming with projects all along the riverfront and downtown with dead zones. I think that Wilmington is trying to make the riverfront as it's main attraction for visitors. I'm just curious though, which project are you most exited about?

*Harlan Flats Phase 2
*Rockford Falls Towers

If you ask me, I'm excited for the Marriott and what they do with the 1101 Jefferson Street lot. Be sure to let me know what you think which project excites you.
I'm equally excited for S Market St connector and Residents @ Midtown because they're the start to some serious revitilazation in those areas. Midtown specifically is supposed to be the start of the Fashion districts so it'll be interesting to see what retail is attracted downtown, especialy with the starbucks being right around the corner.

The connector speaks for itself. Once that bridge is built, southbridge will be flattened and rebranded as South Wilmington mimicing the otherside of the river.

Also there's a lot of reno going on in the creative district right now on Washington St. So that'll be exciting to see what that area will be transformed into.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ding/91324228/

Chemours is currently in the DuPont Building. From the article:

"If Chemours relocates to the Bank of America Building, also known as Bracebridge I, it is not immediately clear what would happen to the DuPont Building. Chemours is the building's only tenant. Buccini/Pollin had applied for state money to purchase the building from Chemours, renovate it and lease it back to the $6 billion chemical company. However, a deal was never consummated."....

"Chemours is searching for about 200,000 square feet of space, Vergnano said in August. But only two downtown Wilmington office buildings have that much available space. The Brandywine Building at 1000 N. West St. has about 240,000 square feet of open space, and the Hercules Building at 1313 N. Market St. has roughly 200,000 square feet available. More than 200,000 square feet would be available in the Bank of America Building if its namesake tenant moves out."
I know they committed to remain in Wilmington, but Chemours should reallly relocate to Philly.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
The crime is just about all over (Excluding the riverfront and downtown) Most of the neighborhoods outside the actual downtown (High/Midrises/Courthouse) and riverfront are pretty rough, you have a very select area of nicer neighborhoods, and maybe little Italy, but you have to remember that the city isn't that big land wise compared to the crime.

That being said, the city is pushing hard with development and it seems that they put extra care into the areas that are marketed towards upper middle/wealthier clientele. It looks like WPD has their own riverfront post (You see cops riding around on a gator/gold cart in the summer) and lots of private security, not to mention the IMAX pays off duty Wilmington cops to hang out at the theater lobby. Downtown visions and WPD are all over the city center..... I think the city knows they have to protect their tax base to keep them in the city, so no matter where they develop I think it'll be covered.

Last edited by Slyfox; Oct 5, 2016 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:40 AM

Quote:

*Harlan Flats Phase 2
*Rockford Falls Towers

I was searching for an article on the connector bridge between S Market and Shipyard Dr...... do you have any links?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
I was searching for an article on the connector bridge between S Market and Shipyard Dr...... do you have any links?
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...gton/78428348/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Sorry that I didn't reply right away. This is a link that leads to a video of the flyover of this project. Also in the background, you hear a narrator talking about the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgqjCkQFzc

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I know they committed to remain in Wilmington, but Chemours should reallly relocate to Philly.
Why do you say that?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 8:46 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Why do you say that?
Philly's the region's economic center? DuPont was always closely associated with Delaware, but Chemours is not necessarily so. Wilmington is more the Northeast's back-office city (much like Phoenix is for LA), while Philly's where you'd expect the C-suites to be.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry that I didn't reply right away. This is a link that leads to a video of the flyover of this project. Also in the background, you hear a narrator talking about the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgqjCkQFzc
Thank You!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations