HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:58 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
There should be a stipulation to those government grants that businesses build urban campuses. I'd like to see this as close to downtown as possible but more importantly, I'd like to see it developed as an urban project and not another suburban office complex.

There is nothing urban about this project. No wonder these areas have trouble building a defined downtown. Can't have a downtown if you can't walk from office to retail to residential. That project does nothing to address traffic concerns. It's gross.
I think if we just tore down all the skyscrapers and turned downtown Salt Lake into another suburb... everywhere would be equal, and no one would have to worry about it any more. Most of the modern residential in the downtown area feels suburban anyway... so we wouldn’t really have to displace many people..

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Not quite true...

New York has nearly 10x as many highrises under construction than Seattle does, and many more times than that proposed. Chicago, Los Angeles, and Miami also have roughly 3x as much under construction, and Philadelphia, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, San Fran, and even Austin have roughly the same amount as Seattle.

I think the reason Seattle seems to have so much more development may just be they hype it gets in comparison to other US cities. But yeah, Seattle is actually surprisingly middle of the road when compared to other major US cities in terms of high rise development. Not to discount it’s boom, it’s just the rest of the country is seeing a major boom as well. (Except SLC it seems)
Actually true...Seattle has had more tower cranes up than any other city in the U.S. These four articles show it either at the top or at second place.
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-is-shrinking/
https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...ut-not-as.html
http://www.rsir.com/blog/2017/07/con...n-the-country/
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ill-leads-u-s/

Last edited by Orlando; Feb 27, 2018 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Actually true...Seattle has had more tower cranes up than any other city in the U.S. These four articles show it either at the top or at second place.
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-is-shrinking/
https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...ut-not-as.html
http://www.rsir.com/blog/2017/07/con...n-the-country/
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ill-leads-u-s/
True but more cranes don't necessarily mean more is under construction or in the works, it just means more projects are in the vertical phase or nearing completion.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:26 PM

Just a comparison between Seattle and SLC, seattle had 10,000+ residential units open last year, with close to twice that set to be completed this year. Does anyone have the numbers on how many SLC completed in 2017?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:44 PM

Deleted

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:51 PM

So there is a big backhoe and a bulldozer staged on Boyer's 151 State Property, and the fence is down.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:54 PM

And how many tower cranes does Salt Lake City have downtown??? A big fat zero as far as I can tell. What ever happened to Downtown Rising???? What a big joke!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:20 PM

Population growth creating apartment affordability crisis in Utah

https://www.ksl.com/article/46269622...crisis-in-utah

We all knew this, but thought this was interesting,

Quote:
The city wants more duplexes, rowhouses, and even more mother-in-law apartments. All of those can blend in with the city's existing neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
And how many tower cranes does Salt Lake City have downtown??? A big fat zero as far as I can tell. What ever happened to Downtown Rising???? What a big joke!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Population growth creating apartment affordability crisis in Utah

https://www.ksl.com/article/46269622...crisis-in-utah

We all knew this, but thought this was interesting,
My proposal would be a state wide law that allows any citizen who owns a single family detached home be able to convert that to the "next step" up in density unless the city could prove why that should not be allowed. So that would be mother-in-law apartments, duplexes, ADU would all be allowed with very minimal paperwork. You basically tell the city what you are planning on doing and they have to decide if they want to fight it, but it would not be easy for them to win unless they had a compelling argument.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 9:49 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Plenty, if you can come to terms with the fact that a Salt Lake tower is only 6-10 stories.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:15 PM

I don't think this has been posted,

Moda LUX
JF Capital
200 E between 200 and 300 S

http://jfcapital.com/

Quote:
Moda Lux will be an ultra-luxury, boutique apartment development in downtown Salt Lake City. The project's location, a strong job market, recent accelerated rent growth, and strong demand make this a strong opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I don't think this has been posted,

Moda LUX
JF Capital
200 E between 200 and 300 S

http://jfcapital.com/

I like what Moda puts out. What I dont like is losing a building that houses a retail and one that is probably fairly affordable housing for something that I don't expect to have retail included and is obviously not affordable for most.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:58 AM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
True but more cranes don't necessarily mean more is under construction or in the works, it just means more projects are in the vertical phase or nearing completion.
Just concede already. The point is that Seattle has more highrises under construction than any other city in the US. What can SLC/Utah do to mitigate this perpetual loss of urban development to the exurbs??

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Just concede already. The point is that Seattle has more highrises under construction than any other city in the US. What can SLC/Utah do to mitigate this perpetual loss of urban development to the exurbs??
What does Seattle do?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:21 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I like what Moda puts out. What I dont like is losing a building that houses a retail and one that is probably fairly affordable housing for something that I don't expect to have retail included and is obviously not affordable for most.
The retail won’t be a huge loss. It’s just a small single story space... nothing special about the building. There is another small building behind it. I think it use to be residential... but now it’s boarded up.

Here is a description of the residential space that they will have to be ripped down. I’m not horribly disappointed with that either.

“Just fell out of contract. 17 Unit apartment building in prime downtown location. There is a lot of redevelopment in the area. This is a unique building that is a hybrid of an apartment building and a rooming house. There are 2 buildings on the lot that consist of 10 full 1 bed 1 bath apartments and section of the front building that has 7 single room rentals. The 7 private room rentals have 2 shared bathrooms between them, sort of like college dorm rooms. The gross scheduled income is $8,855 per month which is $106,260 per year. Landlord pays for water, sewer, and garbage for the buildings. Do not disturb tenants. Offers subject to inspection. Call agent for more details.”

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Nah no conceding quite yet Yes, Seattle does have the most cranes within city limits, but far from the most high rises under construction. Granted, these are classified as 10+ stories, which is why DC and Denver are relatively high on the list despite having few (and in DC’s case none) being built over 20-30 stories.

Actively under construction according to Emporis at the end of 2017:

New York: 315
Chicago: 65
Houston: 52
Miami: 36
Minneapolis: 35
Denver: 34
Los Angeles: 32
Seattle: 32
Atlanta: 26
Boston: 16
Washington DC: 16
Dallas: 15
Austin: 14
Philadelphia: 12
San Diego: 12
San Francisco: 12
Memphis: 11
Las Vegas: 10
Nashville: 10

Side note: New York is seeing its largest skyscraper boom in its history. Is is by FAR outpacing any city in the US in terms of high rise construction.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:36 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
What does Seattle do?
Easy to answer: they have no more land. Nothing magic really, no waving of a sacred "urban planner" wand. We are watching infill at a place that is unreal, consuming blank parcels. Once that land is gone stuff goes up. The view on this site that "nothing is happening" is really baffling but perhaps understandable given the young age of a lot of the commentors. . Salt Lake is an absolute shit-show of development right now. The larger market is too. And there is a story behind Pluralsight locating where they did. Believe me it's not our "conservative legislature" that is to blame.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:37 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
The retail won’t be a huge loss. It’s just a small single story space... nothing special about the building. There is another small building behind it. I think it use to be residential... but now it’s boarded up.

Here is a description of the residential space that they will have to be ripped down. I’m not horribly disappointed with that either.

“Just fell out of contract. 17 Unit apartment building in prime downtown location. There is a lot of redevelopment in the area. This is a unique building that is a hybrid of an apartment building and a rooming house. There are 2 buildings on the lot that consist of 10 full 1 bed 1 bath apartments and section of the front building that has 7 single room rentals. The 7 private room rentals have 2 shared bathrooms between them, sort of like college dorm rooms. The gross scheduled income is $8,855 per month which is $106,260 per year. Landlord pays for water, sewer, and garbage for the buildings. Do not disturb tenants. Offers subject to inspection. Call agent for more details.”
See I absolutely disagree. These are the structures that are unique in SLC and I'd hate to see 'em go - even for something taller.

It might not look like much but it's got a lot of history and is a type of architecture style that we do not have a lot of in SLC. I'm sad that they'll be demolishing this and no, I disagree with the idea it's nothing special.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West