3 beers: now we're talking
4 beers: perfect
5 beers: whoa, partner, back it up!
6 pack: I see, so we're getting hammered tonight--got it

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Don't hate me, but I have yet to have an IPA that I really like.

Just give me a Sapporo on tap or Negra Modelo on tap, or any Hefeweizen on tap and I'm good. I love chocolate stout too.
you don't have to apologize, you're allowed to like whatever you like.

i freaking love IPAs, but i understand that they're not everyone's cup of tea.

i love beer. i mean i really do, i just love all of it. i'm able to enjoy anything from a coors light up to a 120 IBU imperial IPA and everything in between.

the hardest genre for me to break into has been the sours. that's been an acquired taste for me, whereas most other beers have been love at first taste.

beer rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
1 beer: waste of calories
deliciousness is a waste of nothing.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:49 PM
The City

^ You're like my brother in law. He loves beer too--of all types. He actually enjoys the taste of it, but he's kind of a bit of an alcoholic so I think the buzz is a big part of the equation.

I love beer as well, but I love it for more than just the taste, of course. I like everything beer has to offer, lets just put it that way...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:57 PM
Drenched in Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
No hate here, not an IPA fan either. Vastly overrated...

Who smokes cigarettes these days?

It's all about $5 pre-rolls.

E] Going from left to right, top to bottom: I'm guilty of 1 and 2, [in fact I'm wearing a flannel now because it's cold, misty and windy today], however now I'm clean shaven, but in the past was not required and at times encouraged. From running, my calves and thighs are too large to fit into skinnies [and that's a terrible look!], have never smoked tobacco, have never decided to pay money for intense pain in the form of a tattoo, especially a Naval tattoo and have only owned beach cruisers and mountain bikes.

Last edited by Sun Belt; Sep 24, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:52 AM

Count me in the group that doesn't care for IPAs. More than that, the whole IPA thing is annoying because you can go to a bar and half the beers on tap are ales or IPAs. I do however enjoy sour beers!

What I'm really into are malty German lagers and wheat beers: schwarzbier, hefeweizen, dunkels, helles, Berliner weisse, doppelbocks, marzens (Oktoberfest style), and of course my favorite, weizenbock (Schneider Weisse Aventinus). The problem is that they're more difficult and time consuming to make and so very few American craft brewers attempt to make these styles.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:10 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You're like my brother in law. He loves beer too--of all types. He actually enjoys the taste of it..
Yep, that's me.

In rough ancestry terms, I'm 50% German and 50% irish.

I 100% LOVE beer

As I should.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:15 PM

I think IPAs are garbage, but I like almost every other kind of beer. My go-to outside of the winter (when I'd drink stouts) was historically wits, but I'm really, really into the farmhouse ale, wild ale, and sour styles which are now gaining popularity.

Bitter beer is disgusting. Sour bear is incredible.

Last edited by eschaton; Sep 25, 2018 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:17 PM
Registered Putz

Give me a hefeweizen, wit, strong Belgian ale, dubbel/ trippel any day. Either that or a Guinness if nothing else available.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:39 PM

I think most people get into craft beer through IPA's and then go down the rabbit hole and end up discovering another style that is truly their preference. Like I'll still have an IPA or whatever once in a while, but I've since gone down the rabbit hole to basically only ordering Pilsners, Kolschs, lagers, and other lighter crisper styles. I'll be in the mood for an IPA or darker beer like a porter or stout once in a while or depending on the food, but my go to is ironically now the light stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why would you drink beer with dessert?

If you’re going to drink anything with ice cream it should be coffee. Personally I’m more of a cheese person anyway.
A. Why wouldn't you drink beer with dessert? There are so many beers that could be dessert in their own right, why wouldn't a super hot (boozy) imperial stout go with thick rich chocolate in exactly the same way as a boozy port wine also goes with dark chocolate?

B. No, coffee is disgusting. I don't drink it with dessert... or any other time of day for that matter. I don't understand how people like it, it's gross ass dirty water that tastes super bitter.

C. Cheese is the only food. Everything else is just sustenance so you can live another day to eat more cheese.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
B. No, coffee is disgusting. I don't drink it with dessert... or any other time of day for that matter. I don't understand how people like it, it's gross ass dirty water that tastes super bitter.
Agreed. I'm an avid tea drinker (out of habit and enjoyment - caffeine actually puts me to sleep), but I don't get coffee. There was a brief period when I was in high school I would get a cup every morning because it made me feel like an adult. Pretty soon after I became a vegan and started drinking it black. After about a year of straight up black coffee I realized I actually hated the stuff. Stopped drinking it around age 19. I went for six years once without touching it, but it's more frequent I try it every year or two now just to remember it's rubbish.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

all of you guys who can't stand IPAs and coffee and other bitter stuff are probably just super-tasters.

super-tasters have a higher than normal sensitivity to bitter flavors. they make up ~30% of the population.

i'm ever so glad that i'm not a super-taster. thank you Pizza God.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
all of you guys who can't stand IPAs and coffee and other bitter stuff are probably just super-tasters.

super-tasters have a higher than normal sensitivity to bitter flavors. they make up ~30% of the population.

i'm ever so glad that i'm not a super-taster. thank you Pizza God.
No. I love Brussels sprouts and eat them like once or twice a week. I also drink grapefruit flavored water every day.

I love bitter, just not in beer/coffee form.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:15 PM
Anti-NIMBY

Topic = (beyond) dead.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I love bitter, just not in beer/coffee form.
so you're not a super-taster, you're just super-odd

some of the hazy IPAs being brewed these days taste eerily similar to grapefruit juice; you should give 'em a try if you love the bitterness of grapefruit.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:36 PM
that prick

Funny discussion... I drink a lot of (Italian-like) coffee in cafés, but can't swallow any kind beer. I spit it out. It's really too bitter. It would make me throw up long before getting actually drunk.

I still can drink some wines, like Champagne or drinkable wines, but I have more and more difficulties in swallowing alcohol.

It sometimes feels embarrassing as alcoholic drinks are often used as something to "socialize" in our society.
I mean, at some point, you're supposed to be an adult and do like other grown-ups, unfortunately.

But fact is vanilla or strawberry milkshakes are far easier to swallow.
psst... A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
I like bass. Give me some.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I have more and more difficulties in swallowing alcohol.
start with something easy......... like a good single malt scotch, preferably a nice and peaty islay.

source: https://www.whisky.fr/en/lagavulin-16-ans.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:51 PM

I don't know that a $70 bottle is scotch is a good idea for someone who clearly doesn't like the taste of alcohol. Maybe instead, a bottle of low alcohol Berlinner weisse or perhaps a dry cider, like Commonwealth. That's less than $10 for two bottles.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:51 PM
that prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
start with something easy......... like a good single malt scotch, preferably a nice and peaty islay.
That's what I mean... people laughing.
That's obviously too strong for one's sensitive palate and throat.

Champagne is funnier IMO. It's the very party wine over here, and not always so overpriced.
You can drink a lot of it and go drunk without any excessive pain. Lol.

More and more regions can produce similar sparkling white wines. I think Australia can fairly make it nowadays.
That's fine.
psst... A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
I like bass. Give me some.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:08 PM

Not crazy about IPAs but if there is a fresh hop version available I'm all over that...such a different experience.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:11 PM
Registered Putz

Speaking of France...I was there a couple of weeks ago and was expecting to only find Kronenbourg 1664 everywhere but the French have a pretty decent craft brew scene. Plus all the stuff from neighboring countries...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions