HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:21 PM
Look at me!

MONTREAL | Westin Montréal | 217 FT / 66 M | 22 FLOORS

A new hotel development in the International Quarter, on the edge of Old Montreal and right next to the World Commerce centre and the Montreal Congress Hall. Its one of more than a dozen highrises built in this former decrepit area. It rises at about 20-22 floors (it isn't quite clear) and it also recycles the old 8 storey Montreal gazette building, adding 5 floors on top of the original structure. Its also Montreal's first Westin brand hotel.

Renderings:

http://www.westinmontreal.com/

The $ 90 million investment will have a total of 432 rooms, a large ball room and from what I understand a large lobby area.

Quote:
The 400-room hotel complex in Old Montréal proposed by ATLIFIC Hotels and Resorts will generate $90 million in investment, create upwards of 300 permanent jobs, and produce more than $30 million in tax benefits for Montréal over ten years.

Montréal, Tuesday, March 15, 2005 – The Board of Directors of the Société de développement de Montréal has chosen the proposal submitted by Atlific, a major hotel developer, builder and manager, following a public call for tenders for redeveloping the Gazette buildings in Old Montréal.

Atlific Hotels and Resorts will acquire the buildings for $10 million net. The SDM had originally bought them for $7.5 million in November 2003, before conducting various studies to ensure the optimal development of the site and dismantling and cleaning up the industrial facilities.

The proposal calls for the three vacant heritage buildings to be converted and a new building to be erected on a former adjacent parking lot. The hotel complex will be linked directly to the Palais des congrès de Montréal via an underground corridor built during work on the Quartier international de Montréal (QIM).

Paul Saint-Jacques, President and CEO of the Palais des congrès de Montréal, welcomed the City of Montréal’s initiative and the SDM’s efforts to attract a new hotel complex to the Gazette site. As he noted, “This link will give conference organizers a new hotel near their meeting and exhibition facilities – a key selling point for the Palais des congrès in attracting national and international conventions. The new hotel will increase the number of rooms already directly linked to the Palais des congrès.”

For Clément Demers, Director General of the Quartier international de Montréal, “This new property development project, strategically located facing Place Jean-Paul Riopelle, will fit in perfectly with the specific vocation of the area, in terms of the hotel and office space and the quality of the investment. It confirms the vision of the partners in the Quartier international de Montréal. The high-quality structural facilities provided by the QIM and its neighbours have already generated over $770 million in real-estate projects. Over the next two years, further investment of at least $200 million will be added, including the Atlific project.”

The best proposal for the site, the district and Montréal as a whole
The SDM Board of Directors chose the Atlific hotel complex proposal for a number of reasons: it increases hotel capacity in the immediate area of the Palais des congrès; it fits in with the specific vocation of the Quartier international de Montréal; it is sure to help consolidate development in Old Montréal by rehabilitating three vacant heritage buildings
and a former parking lot; and the forecast spin-off in terms of investment, permanent jobs and tax revenue for Montréal are the most attractive of the eight proposals examined by the selection committee.

Atlific Hotels and Resorts, a hotel developer, builder and manager founded in 1959, manages 30 multi-brand hotels in Canada. The firm is headquartered in Montréal, with offices in Toronto and Vancouver. It was acquired in 1997 by Ocean Properties Ltd., a family business based in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, which manages over 100 hotels in the United States. Together Atlific and Ocean Properties form the fifth-largest privately held hotel-management company in North America, managing 19,000 rooms in independent hotels, resorts and such well-known brands as Marriott, Marriot Courtyard and Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, Crowne Plaza, Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn and many others.

Professional Atlific staff have begun the due diligence process. Once that step is completed, in at most 60 days, the transaction will be submitted for approval by the City of Montréal Executive Committee. Atlific expects the complex to be ready about 24 months after the sale is approved.

The Société de développement de Montréal is a paramunicipal property management corporation that contributes to the city's development by managing its property holdings and also oversees the promotion and development of Old Montréal.
This was the site last november (photo by cprail), an other ugly parking gone.

At about 15 floors already, photographs by francely

Photo by atze, working on the 17th floor

pictures by cataclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataclaw View Post
12 Juin 2008

here's a neat one, the Westin sticking out of the urban chaos that is Montreal. On the left is Moshe Safdie's famous Habitat 67. photograph by monctezuma himself.

Its almost topped out now, one thing's for sure, St-Antoine street on which the building is situated now has a veritable "wall" of high rises when 5 years ago it was a vritual no man's land.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 6:31 PM
Give us a kiss

Thank you for posting those here, Mtl sure can use some rep around these parts. Even if we're stuck in the midrise section for now.

It's not clear to me from the rendering whether the old Gazette bldg will get a recladding or at least a refresher. I have to say the current facade looks a bit weird for a hotel.
Other than that there's nothing I don't like with this building. The black 'brim' on top of the tower section is very Montreal (I'm sure you know what I mean -- JMSB, Le Concorde, Quebecor...), and the new section on top of the Gazette is simply amazing in the rendering. I have my hopes way up.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 7:20 PM

The new construction itself is fine, but what's with the old building and the new part they added on the top, it's ugly!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 1:57 AM
Look at me!

I like the addition on top of the old Gazette! Its also good because it'll densify the new St-Antoine "Wall"!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 2:30 AM
Ciao tutti

I think it looks pretty good.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:20 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The new construction itself is fine, but what's with the old building and the new part they added on the top, it's ugly!
I agree with you. The top has nothing in common with the old The Gazette printing building and the new hotel's tower. It's as if three different firm of architects have been working in the same project without consulting with each others !!

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 12:05 AM

Terrific post, Rico!

Thank you for a great opening post. I have just one very minor quibble, though.

Westin managed the current Hilton Bonaventure in the 80s (maybe 90s), and if memory doesn't deceive, also managed the current Omni Mont-Royal for a short time in the 90s, so this is not its first Montreal property.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Westins are great hotels...I stayed at one for a conference a few weeks ago and was incredibly impressed. The beds are touched by God, I swear. Congrats Montreal!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 2:05 AM
Look at me!

Recent picture by mtlurb member atze showing the excellent use of materials but a predictable lack of height.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 2:46 AM
Homo Platoregimontis

You failed to mention that this pic was taken yesterday, as they were taking the crane off the top.

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 4:00 AM
Look at me!

yeah well...jello!

I really like this one, like I said it lacks height but the use of materials is superior and far exceeds the ugly pre-fab sub-standard that we see on Viger/Bleury in le 1009. That building is une vrai honte. A damn shame!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 7:48 AM
BANNED

Wow, that's crazy that this is Montreal's first Westin hotel! Vancouver has two Westins and Montreal is half again as big as Vancouver. It's too bad this thing isn't a bit taller because at it's height it will add little to the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 4:11 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

It is not the first Westin they had in this city -as mentionned by hartss earlier on this very same page.
Rico : I wouldn't go as far as saying that the 1009 is a shame.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
It is not the first Westin they had in this city -as mentionned by hartss earlier on this very same page.
I love it when people try to correct me and they're wrong. Have a look here smart guy. There are plenty of other hotels in Montreal under the parent company of Westin hotels but like I said, this is the first Westin in Montreal.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:52 AM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
I love it when people try to correct me and they're wrong. Have a look here smart guy. There are plenty of other hotels in Montreal under the parent company of Westin hotels but like I said, this is the first Westin in Montreal.
Boy, you like to prentend you own truth. What's wrong with you anyway ? Are you always that abnoxious ?
I love it when people are showing their real self !!

Last edited by yarabundi; Aug 29, 2008 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 3:44 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Hey dude, calm down.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 4:48 AM
Community Guy

i kinda like it and what an amazing location for it...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 1:39 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
i kinda like it and what an amazing location for it...
Plus the fact that it is another project that fills a parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Rico, i'm quite calm actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarabundi View Post
Boy, you like to prentend you own truth. What's wrong with you anyway ? Are you always that abnoxious ?
I love it when people are showing their real self !!
What do you mean "pretend my own truth"? I proved that this is the first Westin hotel in Montreal which means you were the mistaken one and for that I get called "obnoxious". At least my "real self" isn't some guy that talks out his ass and then refuses to take responsibilty for his mistake. But I guess being nice is more important than being honest, accurate or responsible.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 12:43 AM
Homo Platoregimontis

There you go again being abnoxious. Trust me : this is the last time I will reply to you. Don't expect me to reply either to the two private messages you sent me either -in one of which you conclude by saying
Quote:
I don't respect you so why should I be nice you?
That's says it all about the kind of guy you are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive