HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 9:29 PM
BANNED

The Rotating Tower(s) of Dubai

In a project to be unveiled today, architect David Fisher has dreamed up a 68-story tower where each floor will rotate, causing the building's shape to constantly change.

Quote:
Dubai Puts a New Spin on Skyscrapers
Planned 68-Story Rotating Tower
Part of Massive Construction Spree
By ALEX FRANGOS
April 11, 2007; Page B1

In skyscraper-crazy Dubai, tall isn't enough. In a design to be unveiled today in the oil-rich emirate, David Fisher, an Italian-Israeli architect, has dreamed up a 68-story combination hotel, apartment and office tower where the floors would rotate 360 degrees. Each floor would rotate independently, creating a constantly changing architectural form.

Each story of the tower would be shaped like a doughnut and be attached to a center core housing elevators, emergency stairs and other utilities. Wind turbines placed in gaps between the doughnuts would generate electricity.

The doughnuts won't rotate fast enough to give guests upset stomachs. A single rotation would take around 90 minutes. "It's quite slow," says Mr. Fisher.

Mr. Fisher's isn't the first plan for a rotating tower in Dubai. Last year, a local developer showed off plans for a 30-story 200-unit condominium tower that would rotate one revolution per day. Solar panels would drive the rotation mechanism.

It is hard to say whether the plans are simply rotating pies in the sky -- or projects that will actually be erected. But given what has been built in Dubai already, anything seems possible so long as oil prices remain high.

Dubai has become a playpen for architects, where the deep pockets of oil-rich developers drive some of the most eccentric building projects in the world. There is an artificial archipelago shaped like a map of the world and an underwater luxury hotel. There is also an indoor ski slope, a sail-shaped hotel and a fake chain of islands in the form of a palm frond dotted with homes.

Some see outlandish designs like these as a sign of an architectural apocalypse. "It makes me ill," says Eugene Kohn, principal at New York-based Kohn Pedersen Fox, a firm recognized for handsome, modernist -- albeit stationary -- designs. "Some of these buildings are going to the absurd."

Dubai's building spree is powered by massive government investment and money pouring in from individual investors from around the Middle East, especially people looking to park their oil wealth in real estate.

The country's ruling family, led by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, realizes its oil will someday run out and wants to create a viable financial foundation for future generations by creating a commercial and recreational capital for the Middle East.

"The ruler of Dubai, he encourages us to grab the things that are super and unique in the world," says Mohammed Jardali, general director of Mejren Cos., the lead developer. "That's why we are going after the thing that will be a landmark and unique in the world."

The developer is a group including Sheikh Mejren bin Sultan's Mejren Group, Kriston Co., a developer based in Athens, and Gowealthy, a Dubai real estate marketing company. "We call it dynamic architecture," says Mr. Fisher, who says it will rise for a mere $330 million and will make an outsized profit to boot. "It can be sold for at least 40% premium because it will be an iconic building -- a landmark," he says. Mr. Fisher predicts construction will start in six months and be complete 22 months after that.

The skyline of Dubai is powered by oil money, big ambitions, and architectural whimsy. Mejren Cos.'s Mr. Jardali says terrorism isn't an issue for the developers. "Dubai is the safest place in the world. It is very peaceful. So we are not thinking about such a thing," he says.

Mr. Fisher dismisses the earlier unveiled effort at rotational architecture. "The other tower is just a cylinder that turns around itself very slowly over a week. But nothing happens to the shape."

The architect of the other tower, James Abbott of Hong Kong-based P&T Group, confirms that his tower will rotate just once a week. "We are doing it for just purely functional reasons, not gimmicky," he says. "The idea is for people to have 360-degree views." He says he and the developer, Dubai Property Ring, will submit final applications to local authorities in the next two weeks.

The proposed spinning towers follow a quiet campaign to build the tallest building in the world -- again -- in Dubai. Code-named "The Burj," or simply the Tower, the 240-story, one-kilometer-tall (3,281 feet) spire would beat out the currently under-construction Burj Dubai, which is slated to hit around 2,300 feet when complete in 2009. The taller Burj would be built by Nakheel Properties in Dubai. A spokesman declined to comment other than saying it is planning a "large tower."

The Burj Dubai, designed by Chicago architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill for Emaar Properties, will be a hotel and condominium and is expected to reach more than 1,000 feet taller than New York's Empire State Building. The current tallest building in the world is Taipei 101 in Taiwan. It reaches 1,671 feet.

Carol Willis, founder of the Skyscraper Museum in New York, which is about to mount a show on Dubai, is optimistic. "The future plans seem to be grounded on a substantial and intelligent plan on inventing a new city," she said. She cites the massive government investment in infrastructure and the rock-bottom labor costs as making these projects possible.

Mr. Fisher, 58 years old, was born in Tel Aviv. He moved to Florence for graduate school and became an Italian citizen. His early projects include the never-built design for a plaza near Jerusalem's Wailing Wall.

His claim to fame is the development of the "Leonardo da Vinci Smart Bathrooms," a prefabricated bathroom system that hotels and resorts use to quickly build new facilities.

Mr. Fisher says he got the tower idea while looking at condominiums for sale in Miami several years ago. He noticed the much lower price tags for units without water views.

Ten days later in New York, a friend boasted that hers was the only unit in her high-rise with views of both the Hudson River and the East River. "This is when I got my click," he says. He jotted down his idea and applied for a patent in the U.S. in 2004. He has never designed a high-rise building.

But he has assembled a formidable design team, however, including high-rise engineer Leslie Robertson, who is best known for designing the innovative structure of the World Trade Center's Twin Towers that were destroyed by terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001.

"It's not rocket science," says Mr. Robertson of the building's structure. "It's a basic structural core, a concrete silo and the doughnuts that wander around. To me, it's largely an amount of craftsmanship -- a matter of putting it together in thoughtful way so it's constructed quickly, reliably and with low ongoing maintenance costs."

He says supplying electricity to the floors will be similar to how a moving train captures power by staying in constant contact with a power source -- in the case of a train, an overhead wire or third rail.

Occupants on the top five floors would control the direction and speed by voice activated remote control.

The other floors would be programmed by the architect or building manager.

The plumbing is more of a challenge. "We have good people working on that," says Mr. Robertson. The architect and prefabricated bathroom expert Mr. Fisher also demurs about how the toilets will flush. "I can't disclose all the details," Mr. Fisher says.

Write to Alex Frangos at alex.frangos@wsj.com1

URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117625795099465923.html

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 9:47 PM

I wonder what the strata fees in that place will be? I would hate to be faced with the special assessment for repairs.

Neat design though.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 9:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i totally agree. the concept is very intriguing, but i still think that you create A LOT more problems than you solve when you start to animate buildings. on a smaller scale like the bird-flapping brise-soliel on milwaukee's art museum, i think it can at least be workable, but for a whole friggin 68 story tower? i have my doubts about the long term wisdom of this strategy. hopefully they'll build it so we can see how it turns out.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 1:44 PM
low-riding

I don't understand if all the floors will be spinning at different speeds how they access the central core of elevators, emergency staircase and all. it would seem that the core would have be open 360 degrees but would that compromise structural integrity? plumbing? thats a head scratcher.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 3:27 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

^ yeah the engineers are going to have permanent migranes....

heh....

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 4:28 PM
BANNED

Here's more from http://www.sanpellegrino.com/flash_s...pa.asp?id=1182. Note this article gives the height at 59 stories.

Quote:
Dubai's Italian-Made Rotating Tower

If living in a 250-meter-high tower with rotating floors and a system to automatically produce electrical energy seems like something out of a science fiction book to you, all you need to do is go to Dubai in two years' time to realize how the real world, at times, can respond to the most incredible dictates of the imagination. A group of Florentine architects (to be precise, an American who's been living in the famous city of Italian art for thirty years and two others who were born and raised in the "Bel Paese") are working on a futuristic project whose construction will begin in the early months of 2007 in the distant Arab Emirates. This is a 59-floor high-rise equipped with a core of reinforced cement and a series of prefabricated units, each of which can rotate independently from the others, thus allowing the building to continually change its appearance. This true triumph in dynamic architecture - called the Rotating Tower - will constitute the first and, as of yet, the only example in the world of an entirely rotating construction.

"The concept of movement in architecture has always been a constant for me," explains David Fisher, its conceiver, together with Fabio Bettazzi and Marco Sala, in reference to the chameleon-like tower. "As a boy, I used to have dinner while staring out at the Mediterranean sunset, and I'd dream of having a caravan so I could admire the spectacle of the setting sun from every vantage point." And this is exactly what the Rotating Tower allows people to do: to enjoy all the amazing views that nature has to offer without even needing to move. In the tower of the future, the architect's creative genius is making possible what logic would suggest is impossible: Watching the sunrise and the sunset from the very same room. The inhabitants of this amazing tower will barely notice the movement, as the speed of rotation will be so low as to be practically imperceptible.

This would be enough to make Fisher's project extraordinarily interesting. But to make this work a true champion of the "futuristic arts", what he's trying to interpret - and what, to a certain extent, reflects the spirit of our times - is the idea of its self-sufficiency when it comes to energy. This concept has earned the unanimous acclaim of environmental associations. This made-in-Italy tower will be capable of harnessing the sunlight and the wind to produce the energy it needs and, what's even more incredible, it will be able to sell it. Installed in the empty spaces between one floor and the next will be a series of propellers capable of harnessing wind power, just like windmills, while the floors themselves will produce energy as they revolve. Positioned on the rooftop will be solar panels which, depending on the rotation of the tower, will be exposed to sunlight, at least for a part of the day. According to the designers of the high-rise, which will have a total price tag of $500 million, it should be capable of producing 191 million kilowatts of energy in a year, this worth over 7 million euro. In other words, this means that the energy savings should cover the cost of the work in a period of 56 years.

The Rotating Tower - whose conception also involved Leslie Robertson, the American architect who worked on the World Trade Center in New York, among other things - could only have been conceived for Dubai, a city which over the last few years has undergone a true urbanistic boom by becoming home to some of the most avant-garde constructions in contemporary architecture.
^^^Now THAT would be cool: a self-amortizing mortgage (paid off by the power your apartment generates).

Last edited by BTinSF; Apr 14, 2007 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 4:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Yeah, how the frock is plumbing going to work? What happens when you flush the toilet?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 8:30 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

imma laugh when a windstrom comes and knocks it over for its bad wind design
its nice though well a nice dream
and for the plumbing idk.....
i would hate to be on this building in an earthquake tornano wind storm or hurricane

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 8:39 PM

absolutly the most imaginative building in years. Las Vegas is next

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 12:07 AM

What's next?

A building where each floor changes what order of the number of floor they're on perhaps.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 12:22 AM

Smile I love this Tower !

Wow, what an idea ! Brazil has a smaller residential tower, 1 6-20 stories that rotates simultaneously, nothing like this . If this works , this will begin a new generation of designs that also become art ! I think the plumbing, etc ... will stay in the core which doesn't rotate.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 12:25 AM

Maybe they'll even have floors which transfer from one building to another.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 12:36 AM

Go desert winds, and save us all.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:11 AM

that is nuts! Would be cool to have a rotating house though.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 5:14 AM

rotating buildings, floors which transfer to other buildings, rotating earth. rotating universe. I'm happy with a simple log cabin. rotating of course

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:54 AM
low-riding

That would work i guess. All the plumbing, bathrooms, and sinks would have to stay in the core. Otherwise it seems impossible to link a constantly moving type to a sedimentary plumbing system in the core. He got his press for his idea. But i think thats as far as we are ever going to see this go.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:56 PM

i bet people would get pretty nauseated after a while

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

Go desert winds, and save us all.
The first to be hit, if that will happen, will be the reputation of what is considered America's BEST structural enginer: LERA (Lesley E. Robinsons & Assocciates), yeah the same one who did WTC.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post

In a project to be unveiled today, architect David Fisher has dreamed up a 68-story tower where each floor will rotate, causing the building's shape to constantly change.
Lets keep the word REAL!!!!! in REALEASTE

Dubai has a New player in town…
There’s a New Italian fiddller in town
That is fiddling with building architecture, and design,
each floors move on voice command, & Remote control,

slow or fast, wind or rewind the NEW owners of the rotating platforms homes will ask their guests..

The fourth Dimension he says , may be a dimension for the “unsettled” and demented is this the NEW Dubai

We want more of balanced architecture not imbalanced Architecture –
it may work for the leaning tower of Piza in Italy,

But please no mistakes in Dubai…

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 5:26 PM

Lets Keep The Word REAL, in REAL estate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post

Da Vinci towers – designed by Italian Architect David Fisher

Is Dubai real estate going mad or is their sense in the madness, forgive me, I cannot see the sense in this…
I have made alot of money in real estate, as it is money held in bricks and mortar, real money growing over time, obviously the location has to be right..

Sorry, this tower, is a form shifter, therefore has no form, is bulky, has no beauty, is an engineering risk, and therefore will not have my money.

The great Da Vinci, having his name attached to this building must be turning in his foundations...
Abdul Aziz -Dubai- Pakistan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering