HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 2:10 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
Re: 330 Gilmour...its not often these days that an application goes before Pl'g Committee with such a strongly worded recommendation for turning down the application by the Pl'g Dep't. As well, HRH Holmes isn't in favour of it, so the odds are even more stacked against it. Ashcrofts lawyers/architect/planner will have a fun time before PEC on this one. I haven't read the report in great detail but in reality does it or does it not tick off many of the boxes for new re-development in the core.?
It ticks off Councillor Holmes. In all seriousness, I wonder if there isn't something else here. Nobody batted an eyelid when Domicile did the Everett (11 storeys) or (on the east side of Bank) the Metropolitan, which has a 10-storey building on a street that is not much different from the 330 Gilmour site. Except, Domicile is run by a pair of good ol' WASPy boys while Ashcroft is run by an Indian gentleman. I'm not saying that's the reason they're so adamant about turning it down, but it is a rather unhappy coincidence at some levels.

Diane Holmes needs to go. There is no more room for NIMBY'ism in Centretown. Yes, save heritage buildings, but in a case like this one where the heritage building is not only saved but restored, and only the less interesting 1950's sections are demolished, let the neighbourhood grow already.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 12:50 AM
National Capital Region

domicile

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 1:42 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

These guys are unstoppable.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
It ticks off Councillor Holmes. In all seriousness, I wonder if there isn't something else here. Nobody batted an eyelid when Domicile did the Everett (11 storeys) or (on the east side of Bank) the Metropolitan, which has a 10-storey building on a street that is not much different from the 330 Gilmour site. Except, Domicile is run by a pair of good ol' WASPy boys while Ashcroft is run by an Indian gentleman.

Diane Holmes needs to go. There is no more room for NIMBY'ism in Centretown.
I think you are reading too much into this that there is inherrent racism at Ottawa Council. Ashcroft, Richcraft, Claridge and Phoenix are all run by "indian gentlemen" and they seem to find quite a bit of success. A lot of it boils down to the surrounding n'hood and how organized and persuasive they can be with Council and the Councillor. If a high % of the surrounding n'hood is renters then the circulation notice will become somewhat diluted. If the circulation notice captures influential homeowners then they can be quite persuasive.

I agree with you re: Diane Holmes...I'm sure that the local development community would pass around a hat for a collection when she decides to leave the building.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:21 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ashcroft, Richcraft, Claridge and Phoenix are all run by "indian gentlemen" and they seem to find quite a bit of success.
I'm guessing you don't measure success by the quality of their work because those are the four of the five worst builders in Ottawa (the other is Brigil).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
I'm guessing you don't measure success by the quality of their work because those are the four of the five worst builders in Ottawa (the other is Brigil).
Granted they are 'tract' home builders in the truest sense of the word. I guess by success I meant in business not customer satisfaction or industry accolades. They are pushing product with the best of them. I'm not very familiar with Brigil.

By the same token, McDonalds and Tim Horton's are very successful restaurants but you won't find the critics breaking down the doors to get inside. The same argument goes for Celine Dion, American Idol etc etc.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 9:32 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Granted they are 'tract' home builders in the truest sense of the word. I guess by success I meant in business not customer satisfaction or industry accolades. They are pushing product with the best of them. I'm not very familiar with Brigil.

By the same token, McDonalds and Tim Horton's are very successful restaurants but you won't find the critics breaking down the doors to get inside. The same argument goes for Celine Dion, American Idol etc etc.
I agree with you Clynnog, maybe "racism" has nothing to do with this Councillor's stance on the project, but there is a definite bias against the builders you mentioned, for the reasons you mentioned. They "got good" at pushing product, by whatever means necessary, in an industry dominated by old boys who probably did not rejoice at the competition. It's cutthroat. If those builders only managed to make money by pushing mediocre product, then that's the choice they made as a business - stay afloat, don't get shafted by biased trades, and sell to a price point that few are catering to anyway. Every city has those types of companies.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
National Capital Region

interesting item I read on the city's website

Quote:
Ten major landowners held at least 54 per cent of the [vacant] land supply in 2006. Major owners were Richcraft (15.4%), Urbandale (10.5%), Brookfield (4.8%), KNL Developments (4.4%), Minto (4.4%), Mattamy (3.9%), Westpark (3.9%, now sold to Claridge), Tartan (3.5%), City of Ottawa (2.2%), and Claridge (2.0%). If known partnerships are accounted for, Richcraft and Urbandale together account for over 30 per cent of the land supply.
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...E-PLA-0010.htm

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 8:58 PM

Nate's Deli

Have anyone heard about Nate's Deli (Rideau and King Edward) closing in May, giving way to a large condo project? The lot is huge (restaurants and a parking lot).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:22 AM

No!!!! I love Nate's. Hopefully they will incorporate a new Nate's into the ground level of whatever goes there. Best smoked meat in town.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 2:11 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
No!!!! I love Nate's. Hopefully they will incorporate a new Nate's into the ground level of whatever goes there. Best smoked meat in town.
That's another Claridge catch. It will be about 250 units, RENTAL (not condo). And retail along Rideau, obviously. I'll miss Nate's but also, Steve's Music Store, which is part of the land deal. Steve's will relocate I'm sure, as for Nate's nobody knows. Dave Smith has said he was thinking of retiring...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:36 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Looks like I'm gonna have to pay a few visits to Nate's...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:30 AM
you know my steez

I'm guessing this deal doesn't stretch as far as the PetroCan? (Please say that it does).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:49 AM
National Capital Region

from Ian MacLeod flickr - Oakpark Retirement Community (Dec 23/07) by Claridge - Alta Vista and Smythe area, 2 Valour Drive (went to the OMB)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:49 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
I'm guessing this deal doesn't stretch as far as the PetroCan? (Please say that it does).

Hopefully. Either way, so long as we can get some semi-decent and tall condos there, I'll be happy.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:56 AM
National Capital Region

found some info on Nate's Deli
Quote:
One of Ottawa’s best known delis, Nates, has been sold for eventual redevelopment. During my university days I had many a $1.99 breakfast there. Hopefully, there will be room for a deli ala Nates in the new development. This property is 1.204 acres (52,458 sf) in size and is located along the north side of Besserer and the south side of Rideau Streets to the east of King Edward Avenue in Sandy Hill. The property was sold by Freda and David Smith to 1727916 Ontario Inc. for $4,625,000 or $88/sf of site area
http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ms_august2007.htm

(this company's newsletter is great!)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:21 AM
National Capital Region

found a few more things at the above link
  • The former Green Valley Restaurant site located at 1107 Prince of Wales Drive was purchased by Ashcroft Homes for $2,000,000 or $32.57/sf of site area. Ashcroft is proposing to develop the site with a high rise condominium apartment building.
  • 117326 Ontario Inc. sold 108 & 110 Lisgar Street to Orchid Development Corp for $2,000,000 or $168/sf. The purchaser is proposing to develop the site with a mid to high-rise condominium apartment building.
  • Uniform Urban Developments purchased a 69,609 square foot site located at 401 Piccadilly Avenue for $3,800,000 or $55/sf of site area. The vendor was Amica Retirement who had purchased the site in 2006 for $4,000,000 but decided that 495 Richmond Road was a better location for their new retirement home (they were right). The property is currently improved with a three-storey elementary school structure that was constructed in 1945. It is to be redeveloped with a combination of singles, semis and townhouse units.
  • Also, the Joe’s Car Radio site at 51 Richmond Road was sold for $1,172,000 or $100/sf of site area to a numbered company for redevelopment with a residential condominium building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

Reading this OMB decision makes me think that the objectors didn't present any credible testimony against the proposal and their objections were based on conjecture. Cases like this, which take up a lot of time and money for everybody, should be a showcase example of why we either need to get rid of the OMB and place final decision making abilities in the professionals (planners, engineers, urban designers etc) that are working at municipalities etc, or re-educate the public (and competing interests) as to how much preparation is required at an OMB hearing etc.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez View Post

It doesn't look like it....have you got a problem with the breathtaking architectural venacular of the P-Can store. The P-Can property is quite small and I believe P-Can just recently rebranded the location in terms of signage etc.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:28 PM
Mooderator

^ yes, last summer they refurbished the entire P-Can station..it was quite a relic before. That intersection is probably the best location for a gas station in the city as flocks of quebec commuters take advantage of 5-cent-a-litre cheaper gas before scooting home across the bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa