HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:09 PM

Yep, asking me for a password as well.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:31 PM

That's funny, I was literally just looking at the photos when I made the post. I guess they decided we shouldn't see after all.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I just went to look at the photos and it's asking for a password. Are you guys seeing that?
Huh what the heck? This morning I was able to view the January photos from my phone just fine.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 10:13 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Spoke to some of the representatives at the ring road info session today. They are confidant that they will be breaking ground on the west Ring Road this year. New bridge (not incrementally launches) and road work.
Good to hear but I will believe it when the provincial election has occurred and whomever the new government is does not kill the project. I'm really hoping it will go through, of all the various ring road segments in the city this one benefits me most.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Huh what the heck? This morning I was able to view the January photos from my phone just fine.
I sent them an email asking them to take off the password requirement. Hopefully I'll hear back from them this afternoon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I just went to look at the photos and it's asking for a password. Are you guys seeing that?
Just checked and yes, it looks like they've added password protection for the newest set of images.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Just checked and yes, it looks like they've added password protection for the newest set of images.
What are they hiding that they want only an exclusive group to view their website? Is this not a government project and therefore free to see public domain?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 1:16 PM

They added the password protection to the photos uploaded back in August when they were first uploaded too.

My guess is we visited the site right as they were uploading to the site and bulk adding images. They probably password locked while they finished formatting and added captions for each photo, and will make public once they have everything all figured out.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:03 PM
Suburban dweller

The password message came up when the screen opened but I was able to view each individual image without entering one.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
While the project is a governmental one, I believe the photos were taken by KGL, and therefore belong to a private company. They can take all the pictures they like of the project and don't have to release anything. Saying that, I suspect that their contract with the government says something about regular updates so that the government doens't have to do that.

I think Ozzy is right; they are just working on them now and will likely be public soon.
I got an email back from KGL this morning. They are in the process of uploading them and said the password protection will disappear when they're done which should be in a few days. I also remember this happening last year--they said they had to add in captions but it took a lot longer than a few days.

I'm pretty sure that they are contractually obliged to have the website and keep the public informed on what's going on with the project. Photos and videos are clearly the best way of showing progress.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
What are they hiding that they want only an exclusive group to view their website? Is this not a government project and therefore free to see public domain?
Perhaps they have that infamous video of Kenney and Baird?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:59 PM

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...3E1527FA0C8B32

The contracts have been signed for the new Bow River Bridge and the North half of the West Ring Road. RFQ for the South half will be any time now.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...3E1527FA0C8B32

The contracts have been signed for the new Bow River Bridge and the North half of the West Ring Road. RFQ for the South half will be any time now.
This cost figure caught my attention:

West Bow River Bridge segment tendered at $89 million

Back when the SW leg was in the process of being tendering I remember a number of people who used to post here claiming that the bridge would cost at least $250 million. Once again the anti-road crowd has been proven wrong. I was going to say something else but I'll keep it to myself. lol

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:11 PM

What constitutes the north and south parts of the project?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:

Back when the SW leg was in the process of being tendering I remember a number of people who used to post here claiming that the bridge would cost at least $250 million. Once again the anti-road crowd has been proven wrong. I was going to say something else but I'll keep it to myself. lol
It actually surprises me the cost is that reasonable. You don't have to be anti road to predict that infrastructure will cost lots of money.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:22 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:

One thing that has changed significantly since that time is the economy. It has worsened significantly so perhaps the contractors are a little more hungry for work and sharpened their pencils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'm thinking the new road (ie south of the TCH) is the south part while the rebuild/addition to the existing roadway which included the existing interchange and north from there constitutes the north part.

This is excellent news although somewhat tempered by the fact I will add yet another construction zone to my commute but is the price to be paid. 22 years and counting now.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:

The existing span cost $48M, 20 years ago so that cost seems reasonable
https://trid.trb.org/view/477426

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
According to the news release:

The north segment, running between Old Banff Coach Road and the Trans-Canada Highway, will be constructed by EllisDon. The West Bow River Bridge twinning project will be built by Flatiron and AECON.

What's not clear--at least not to me--is whether or not the north segment includes finishing the interchange at Highway 1. The cost for the north leg is $463 million which seems like enough to do that work.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
One thing that has changed significantly since that time is the economy. It has worsened significantly so perhaps the contractors are a little more hungry for work and sharpened their pencils.

I'm thinking the new road (ie south of the TCH) is the south part while the rebuild/addition to the existing roadway which included the existing interchange and north from there constitutes the north part.

This is excellent news although somewhat tempered by the fact I will add yet another construction zone to my commute but is the price to be paid. 22 years and counting now.
Smart of them to get started now on the northern leg which will make the UCP look really stupid if they don't build the final piece to connect it up. Hard to believe that we could realistically see this freeway "done" in less than four years. Hopefully they also find the funds to expand/fix some other segments. They need to add lanes to the NE leg sooner than later. Are there plans to add lanes on the SE leg as you approach the start of the SW leg? They have room to add a ton of lanes and to me it never made sense why they didn't add them in right away.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What's not clear--at least not to me--is whether or not the north segment includes finishing the interchange at Highway 1.
It does.

From a 2018 press release:
Quote:
The project includes three segments:
  • North: approximately three kilometres of six- and eight-lane divided freeway between Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway) and the Old Banff Coach Road and reconstruction of approximately five kilometres of Highway 1. This segment includes 18 bridges, two interchanges (Highway 1 and Valley Ridge Boulevard) and one flyover (1 Avenue SW).
  • South: approximately four kilometres of six- and eight-lane divided freeway between Old Banff Coach Road and Highway 8, with seven bridges and four interchanges (Old Banff Coach Road, Bow Trail, 17 Avenue SW and Highway 8).
  • Twinning the Bow River Bridge on the northwest segment of the ring road and widening about two kilometres of Northwest Stoney Trail from Crowchild Trail to Scenic Acres Link.
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...34338C859AC150

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure