HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 2:14 PM

Demolition is in progress

They have scaffolding up on the interior of the elevator core and you
can hear jackhammers all day long. There have been about 6 people working
there onsite all week.

The game is on!!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takascar View Post
They have scaffolding up on the interior of the elevator core and you
can hear jackhammers all day long. There have been about 6 people working
there onsite all week.

The game is on!!
Awsome news! Can't wait to see this tower all done!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:47 PM
dream fast

10-7

The core demo is underway.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I'd also be very interested to see what Ennead came up with. Lucien LaGrange and AM Stern, not so much - and thank goodness Related didn't go with either of the latter two!!
Bob Stern is a much better postmodernist than Lagrange. Still, I don't think his buildings would look that great on a budget, and I'm guessing for this one finances will be tight. Plus, he's an awful human being—even worse than Lagrange—and I kinda love the fact that he hasn't been able to get a tower up in Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 1:26 PM

Stern could definitely do some good in Chicago. His One St Thomas Residences in Toronto is precast and came out pretty damn well. Not likely that Chicago will get an all limestone tower, no $88mil sales to count on here, so if it's gonna be precast it should be good. Maybe he'll do a boutique building like Elm Tower or 65 Goethe.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:29 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ People love to differentiate the two (and while I do understand and appreciate the differentiation), such an emphasis completely overlooks the intrinsically much more important point that neither have the slightest bit of design relevance today. I am so ecstatic that Stern has never designed a new structure in Chicago, and just hope that we can continue to run out the clock there and dodge that bullet!

Great to see demo work getting underway! Wondering how long until we can expect the first new concrete to be poured.....

By the way, any structural engineers/architects/construction experts here know the methods to be employed by which certain portions of existing concrete structure will be strengthened?

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Oct 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:47 PM

I'm curious how the crane will be reinstalled!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 5:02 PM

Today
Demo is definitely under way

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 3:32 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I am so ecstatic that Stern has never designed a new structure in Chicago, and just hope that we can continue to run out the clock there and dodge that bullet!
Don't speak too fast... his presence graces thousands of Chicago street corners.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 4:22 PM

Slow core demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I'm curious how the crane will be reinstalled!
They have a huge steel beam on the roof from the time they took down the old crane. They assembled a derrick that was bolted to the beam. I assume they will use the same method to put the crane back.

At the rate the core demo is going, It may take them till the end of the year to get it done. That stuff is hard to break apart.

Also, they still haven't gotten the permit to resume actual construction yet. They have applied for it, but the various disciplines have rejected their initial plans. This is normal - when you submit the detailed plans, the city almost always requires changes.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 4:32 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Ugghhh. Well, I suppose like I said - not the slightest bit of design relevance whatsoever today....

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 5:11 PM

10-17

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:09 AM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Don't speak too fast... his presence graces thousands of Chicago street corners.

I am not from Chicago, so maybe thats why I don't get this. What did he design in this picture? The buss stop?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
I am not from Chicago, so maybe thats why I don't get this. What did he design in this picture? The buss stop?
Bus stops, city directory / advertising signage and street kiosks.

Personally, I'm okay with Stern's work. He did a couple buildings at my Alma mater and they came out nice. And while his bus stops and subway stairs have suffered years of abuse, they've managed to hide it well. A shortlist of architects manage to pull off durability and design at the same time. Unfortunately, I could never vouch for any street fixtures of clean modern design in the city of Chicago. Lend one clean flat single color surface and it will become a canvas and get trashed. They'd show the wear and tear......or they'd simply be too utilitarian, like ugly pipe railings. There's a reason why the new elevated CTA stations look so clunky and unpolished. The traditional details on street furniture will hide the grime, endure zero maintenance, graffiti, salt damage and car collisions. Don't know how anyone could disagree, just take a look for yourself.

Last edited by Rizzo; Oct 20, 2012 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 9:06 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
There's a big arrow pointed right at it ...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:13 AM
TL;DR

Hayward, have you seen the subway entrance at Wells/Lake? Granted, it's a quiet corner of the Loop, but there's an awesome modern entrance there which has not succumbed to your urban forces of decay, and it's been there for nearly 20 years now. Same goes for the one at Federal Plaza on Dearborn, which is even older.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

I don't know how I missed this.. It looks as though the renderings are getting closer to a finished product. Not bad actually. With this, River Point, and Wolf Point, the river will definitely have a ultra modern design to it.

It should be illegal to advertise a building with that annoying "CONDO" sign.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 12:19 PM

I think it is illegal, actually, at least after some number of months, IIRC a discussion on these boards a few years ago. I was similarly unhappy with Grand Plaza's enduring advertising banners -- until they finally took them down and unveiled even more of the building's renowned ugliness.

Does anyone know what the limits are for "temporary" signage on buildings downtown? I think it's hilarious that the architects (likely accurately) rendered this one years into the future...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:00 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I don't know how I missed this.. It looks as though the renderings are getting closer to a finished product. Not bad actually. With this, River Point, and Wolf Point, the river will definitely have a ultra modern design to it.

It should be illegal to advertise a building with that annoying "CONDO" sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
I think it is illegal, actually, at least after some number of months, IIRC a discussion on these boards a few years ago. I was similarly unhappy with Grand Plaza's enduring advertising banners -- until they finally took them down and unveiled even more of the building's renowned ugliness.

Does anyone know what the limits are for "temporary" signage on buildings downtown? I think it's hilarious that the architects (likely accurately) rendered this one years into the future...
I've never understood people's objection to signage. Cities exist expressly for commerce. Being anti-sign is like saying having a zoo is fine, but we have to pretend that the animals are there incidentally - which is, of course, a ridiculous idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive