HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

while we were talking about chicago violence, this article below just popped up on the tribune website:

Quote:
39,000 homicides: Retracing 60 years of murder in Chicago
By Kyle Bentle, Jonathon Berlin, Ryan Marx and Kori RumoreDepartment of

The spike in violent crime that has plagued Chicago since 2016 has even more gravity when viewed in comparison with six decades of homicides in Chicago. Since 1957, the city has had homicide totals of 700 or more nearly half the time, 27 of 60 years, and has been lower than 500 a third of the time, 19 of 60 years. To understand this long-term view, the Tribune asked two experts to give perspective as to what was behind Chicago crime decade by decade, and combed through news coverage going back to the 1960s. The Tribune turned to John Hagedorn, a professor of criminology at the University of Illinois at Chicago who has written extensively on Chicago's gangs as well as Wyndell Watkins, a retired Washington, D.C., deputy chief of police with more than 40 years of public safety experience. Here is a closer look at the numbers and some of the influences behind them.
full article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...htmlstory.html

39,000 chicago lives cut short because drugs and shit. holy fuck!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if you go by shootings, then yes, the worst hoods on west side are a bit "shootier" than the worst areas of the southside, but the southside has much more in aggregate because it's such a vastly larger area.
Well, that and I tend to think of the majority of the south side neighborhoods as solidly middle class. Certainly when you think of Chatham, Kenwood, Jeffrey Manor etc. A movie like Roll Bounce comes to mind actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
anecdote about chicago violence: my wife taught at a middle school in auburn gresham (#6 on the list above) from 2006 - 2013. the kids she taught are all now high school - mid 20's. so far, she's aware of 5 of her former students that have been shot and killed.
Thats a shame. Auburn Greshham is one of those middle class neighborhoods that probably got impacted by the displacement caused by the projects shutting down.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:56 PM
An Optimistic Realist

No offense, but isn't there a "City Murder Rates" thread for this type of stuff?

You guys can focus on the high crime of Chicago's South Side there all you want, but this thread is mainly about examples of non-white gentrification. I apologize for mentioning Chicago, but I did it to see if there were any examples of racially or ethnically minority professionals moving in along with the standard white crowd.

There hasn't much discussion on Latinos and Asians. I know that South Florida (particularly Miami, Hialeah, and some other communities) are home to a lot of young professionals from Latin America.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 12:07 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I apologize for mentioning Chicago
Never mention the word "chicago" unless you're fully prepared to handle 5+ pages of chicagoans blathering on about chicago.

It's what we do best.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:25 AM
The City

One of the biggest advantages the south side of Chicago has over Detroit is that it can draw from the wealth of the downtown area and the north side. The city implements all sorts of programs to create housing, rehab old buildings, and now there is a neat new program to extend downtown zoning in return for funds to assist businesses in struggling areas. Even the new affordable housing fund is essentially a Robin Hood program to take wealth from developers and use it to create housing for people of more modest means.

All of this is possible because of the sheer mass of wealth that exists in Chicago’s central area and north side. Not to mention that much of the south side is still pretty middle class.

Detroit’s biggest challenge is finding that same pool of wealth to tap in order to revitalize its neighborhoods. From the looks of it, their best hope is the suburbs. And the suburb vs city hatred in Detroit is as bad as I’ve seen, although perhaps not as strong as it used to be.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 2:24 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
What do you mean by black nationalist perspective in Chicago that's different from Atlanta or DC?
black american leaders in DC and atlanta are more upper class, and more likely to want to cooperate with the white establishment (as opposed to chicago, where a revolutionary siege mentality seems to exist, at least if seguns opinions are commonly shared).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:35 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

^ You'll find pro-black nationalist rhetoric among Chicago's upper class Black residents, including the previous president. Obama was a frequent visitor of the African Festival of the Arts for instance. Chicago is Black Nationalism with money.

You won't find many examples of Black leaders going the extra mile to work with the White establishment, well...... simply because of geography. The area was vacated, and Black people took control of it, and went the extra mile to own it, it wasn't a siege.

From Chinatown South, all the way to NW Indiana, out the South Suburbs, its an area almost completely Black. Like I said before, it's an Empire. You'll see signs all along the expressway catering to Black businesses and so forth. If anything, White leaders should be going into the South Side to see how they can work with Black leaders.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Odd definition of Empire. Also I'd be very interested in where you think Chinatown's southern border is and if you think the neighborhood of Beverly exists.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:50 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

The mentality is like this:

The South Side was born when Whites fled, fearful of Black people. Black people took over, and were forced to take care of this enormous part of the city with a portion of the resources that were given to the previous residents, and were forced to do it for decades in harsh conditions. Some left, many took ownership. The ones who stayed weathered the storm. They're not going to let an outsider come in and essentially say "we know what's better for you than you". That's colonialism. White investors are just going to have to pony up and communicate. If its not so pleasant, oh well.

Like Kendrick Lamar says, "B**ch be humble."

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:51 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
Odd definition of Empire. Also I'd be very interested in where you think Chinatown's southern border is and if you think the neighborhood of Beverly exists.
I was in Beverly last weekend. I went to a nice African store and picked up some incense.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
I was in Beverly last weekend. I went to a nice African store and picked up some incense.
And you'd say it's its "an area almost completely Black"? Or is it not in the area "From Chinatown South, all the way to NW Indiana, out the South Suburbs"?

Quote:
hey're not going to let an outsider come in and essentially say "we know what's better for you than you". That's colonialism.
Does calling things colonialism carry some weight where you're from? It's funny how when black folks came in and the people there didn't want to hear from them how to run things it was racist, but now if white folks come into black neighborhoods and say something, too bad. As I've said before, it reminds me of Spike Lee whining about gentrification and neighborhoods "changing", as if he had no iota of self awareness.

Check it out dude: money talks, and the South Side Proud Black Empire doesn't have it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 8:47 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Does anybody have any other examples in other cities besides Chicago?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 9:42 PM
The City

Quote:

The South Side was born when Whites fled, fearful of Black people. Black people took over, and were forced to take care of this enormous part of the city with a portion of the resources that were given to the previous residents, and were forced to do it for decades in harsh conditions. Some left, many took ownership. The ones who stayed weathered the storm. They're not going to let an outsider come in and essentially say "we know what's better for you than you". That's colonialism. White investors are just going to have to pony up and communicate. If its not so pleasant, oh well.

That's cool, but gentrification in at least parts of the south side is happening, is a good thing, and is inevitable. Problem is, I don't think we don't have any cases of black people being the gentrifiers in Chicago, although I'd love to see it. The money is there, but not the will. Seems to be more of a take it and leave mentality.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:25 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Does anybody have any other examples in other cities besides Chicago?
I would think certain DC neighborhoods like Shaw around Howard University are pretty good candidates for gentrification through black professionals.

I did mention Miami with Latin American professionals. However, unlike traditional "white" gentrification, a lot of these example rarely add value to the neighborhoods even when the professionals are making the neighborhoods better.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is are there examples of gentrification by non-whites that actually add value to the city.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:57 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:

I tend to agree. It would be nice to see more black capitalism and less Leninism though.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry to sound insensitive, but maybe the Southside needs some colonialism. What has been going on for 50 years isn't working, for the actual people living there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:37 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

The south side would never have declined if the white people there had been ok living next to black people.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 12:58 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Well, I guess this is a suitable debate for this thread since it sorta underlines everything we are talking about.

The South Side may have been better off if white flight never occurred. In fact, virtually all major US cities would have avoided urban decay if white flight never happened. But what has happened happened.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:28 AM
life is good

Haven't read the whole thread - I tried but not enough time but for instance gentrying Hispanics is gentefication ie
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...rhoods/495923/

From the article
Quote:
lGentefication occurs when upwardly mobile, college-educated Latinos return to their old neighborhood and invest their time, money, and interests in [that neighborhood],” says Steven Almazan, a Boyle Heights resident who returned after graduating from USC and now teaches special education there. “I’ll come out and say I consider myself a gentefier
And African Americans gentrying Shaw (not that prominent) and Anacostia and other neighborhoods EOTR in DC is a thing. They slide under the radar more tho for obvious reasons

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:29 AM
An Optimistic Realist

That article was really great. Nice to see some of LA's Latino neighborhoods are getting better without losing their character.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions