HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 9:43 AM
Karma Police

Good news on the Harlow.

Aside from that, the DJC editor (or lack thereof) strikes again. I think EVERY DJC article I've read has factual errors, grammatical and spelling mistakes and/or just plain stupid statements.

From the article.....

"In 1902, Celeste sold the building, and its name was changed to the Park Hotel. In 1907, it sold again and became the Muckle Building. The building struggled through the first part of the 19th century as it scrambled to incorporate amenities like electricity and central heating, and went through several more iterations throughout the 19th century. By the 1970s, it had become fairly worn down."

Raise your hands.... who here doesn't know the 1900's were in the 20th Century?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 1:07 AM

^^^ I just laugh these days. I've actually considered offering my services to the DJC because you clearly don't need a journalism degree to write for them -- and I know the difference between the 19th and 20th centuries.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 9:57 PM

I don't remember seeing this posted before here:

Quote:

Block Buster

The "Rich Block" Aims to Make Old Town More Like the Pearl
by Joe Streckert

The corner of SW 2nd and Couch buzzes with the sound of saws and hammers. The Rich Block building has stood on the corner for over 100 years—now developers are transforming the historic space into housing units they hope will attract the kind of renter more familiar to the Pearl District than Old Town.

The challenge Old Town faces with new development like the Rich Block is whether the neighborhood can develop without excluding low-income people who currently live there. Northwest Portland has been in the process of gentrifying for decades, but Old Town has seen less of a makeover than the Pearl or Nob Hill. The Rich Block could change that.

Originally built as a railroad hotel in the early 1900s, the Block was previously occupied by homeless services nonprofit Central City Concern and, last year, the building's empty storefronts were used as a set for fantasy-cop show Grimm (they painted the windows to depict fake shops such as "Mom Jeans"). These days, the low-income blocks around the building are hedged in by the increasingly chic downtown and Pearl. Over a quarter of the 4,400 housing units in the area north of Burnside and east of 12th Avenue are either public housing (like Section 8 and publicly run single residency occupancy hotels) or low-income housing.
...continues at the Portland Mercury.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 4:13 AM

Speaking of shoddy journalism.... the Mercury has to the worst paper in town for covering any issue more involved than which bar has the best tots. Granted I read it every week and am glad Portland has it. They just have the ability to distill complex situations into an analysis I would expect from a college leftist, not from anyone who has lived in the world long enough to appreciate that issues are seldom so black and white. The article on the Rich Building is a perfect example of their fine work.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:23 AM

^Seriously, attacking the Mercury? Kinda like a Repub attacking Colbert. If you don't get it, fine, but they aren't angling to be the Oregonian or even WWeek. They are what they are, entertainment! Kinda like the DJC.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 11:37 PM

I just heard that the Naito family (Ann Naito Campbell) is planning a hotel and office building on the block at Couch and Naito where OCOM's new campus just opened. The Hotel will be a residence style inn and occupy the half block facing the park while the office building will be on the northwest quarter block site. I believe the architect is Ankrom Moisan. The Naitos are also planning on converting a few of their other properties near there into more workforce housing like Innovative Housing is doing in the Rich Hotel at 2nd and Couch. Old Town is really evolving and these project will help keep the momentum going.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Walch View Post
I just heard that the Naito family (Ann Naito Campbell) is planning a hotel and office building on the block at Couch and Naito where OCOM's new campus just opened. The Hotel will be a residence style inn and occupy the half block facing the park while the office building will be on the northwest quarter block site. I believe the architect is Ankrom Moisan. The Naitos are also planning on converting a few of their other properties near there into more workforce housing like Innovative Housing is doing in the Rich Hotel at 2nd and Couch. Old Town is really evolving and these project will help keep the momentum going.
Great news! Can't wait to hear more details.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 1:24 AM

Awesome, that area can use all the help it can get.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Awesome, that area can use all the help it can get.
Really? Have you spent any time in otct recently? It's packed with all kinds of people at all hours of the day. I'm not sure what you mean by "all the help it can get" but development is moving at a reasonable pace considering the complexities of the neighborhood. Those complexities have more to do with the realities of development within a historic district that places major restrictions on building heights and FARs than they do with "help".

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:23 PM

Actually yes, I live right next to that neighborhood. It needs help, and it's encouraging to see projects moving forward in the area. If by all kinds of people you mean drug addicts and bums, then yes, there's plenty of people walking around there.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:48 PM

So by "help" you mean what exactly?

And by "all kinds of people" I meant folks who work in the area, TONS of tourists, students, the nightlife crowds, etc. I'm not sure how long you've lived "right next to" otct but it's changed significantly even in the last two years, let alone the last five.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 8:58 PM

I will say walking around sw 3rd and sw 4th near voodoo was an eye opener. It was like 1970's NY. I couldnt believe how much the area has degraded. Its a small area, but It feels like its creeping closer and closer to Pioneer place as development shifts west into the west end. I love this city, but this was the first time I really noticed that things are getting pretty bad.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
I will say walking around sw 3rd and sw 4th near voodoo was an eye opener. It was like 1970's NY. I couldnt believe how much the area has degraded. Its a small area, but It feels like its creeping closer and closer to Pioneer place as development shifts west into the west end. I love this city, but this was the first time I really noticed that things are getting pretty bad.

Really? Third near Voodoo? Actually I love what is going on there! The street closed with all the tables out. Thronged with people in the evening. I think it is improved, actually. Just my view.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Madrid View Post
So by "help" you mean what exactly?

And by "all kinds of people" I meant folks who work in the area, TONS of tourists, students, the nightlife crowds, etc. I'm not sure how long you've lived "right next to" otct but it's changed significantly even in the last two years, let alone the last five.
By help I mean getting the homeless people and drug addicts off the street.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
sarcasm?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:35 AM

I am a student in the White Stag building and am in OTCT almost every day and while it is getting better, it could use all the help it can get. The OCOM block is 3/4 parking and the block to the west is 1/2 parking.Acres of surface parking, hollowed out old buildings turned into parking, numerous unre-enforced masonry building and unused upper floors tell me it has a long way to go. I am there all hours of the day and on weekdays the area is pretty bleak after 6 or 7 and on the weekends if you are on the street and not drunk you're probable in the wrong place. OTCT is definitely on the mend but still has a long road ahead.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I am a student in the White Stag building and am in OTCT almost every day and while it is getting better, it could use all the help it can get. The OCOM block is 3/4 parking and the block to the west is 1/2 parking.Acres of surface parking, hollowed out old buildings turned into parking, numerous unre-enforced masonry building and unused upper floors tell me it has a long way to go. I am there all hours of the day and on weekdays the area is pretty bleak after 6 or 7 and on the weekends if you are on the street and not drunk you're probable in the wrong place. OTCT is definitely on the mend but still has a long road ahead.
Well said.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Well, that explains it! I am usually drunk!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:50 PM

Bill Naito Company wants to sell 3 historic Old Town Chinatown properties (access required)
33 N.W. First Ave., 24 N.W. Second Ave. and 222 N.W. Davis St.
POSTED: Friday, October 5, 2012 at 02:28 PM PT
BY: Lee Fehrenbacher; Daily Journal of Commerce

http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/10/05...wn-properties/

Quote:
The Bill Naito Company is looking to sell three historic properties in Old Town Chinatown. The company is offering the Captain Couch building, the Norton House and the Merchant Hotel together in a portfolio package. MaryKay West, vice president of Norris, Beggs & Simpson, said it is an opportunity for an investor to purchase high-performing, significant buildings in a historic part of downtown Portland.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:33 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the building name that should be a band name award goes to...
Captain Couch!

...it's even better if pronounced Portland-style

What buildings are they talking about?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland