HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 4:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Solar Eclipse April 8 2024

simulator, from St. Thomas (total Solar Eclipse zone)

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse-simu...?elevation=233

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 4:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 3:54 AM
User Registered

Neat! St Thomas gets maybe a min of totality?

Niagara Falls has declared a state of emergency- 1 million expected there. Highest turnout ever recorded to compare was 150k in 2012 for the tightrope walk. They get maybe 3 mins

If a clear day it's best to get as close to Lake Erie as possible for what... maybe 2 mins?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 3:44 PM

I'm going to try for Fort Erie, but we will see how close one can get to that target with the crowds (weather dependent of course)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 3:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Anyone else capture the eclipse? I got down to Pinafore Park in (the southern part of) St. Thomas. Viewing conditions were superb (full sunshine), and we were in the zone of totality for about a minute and a half. Incredible show.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:48 AM
bro

Smile

Yeah! A group of twelve friends and I biked from London to Copenhagen (just east of Port Bruce) and caught the eclipse from a big sand bluff overlooking Lake Erie. Unreal experience.

I spent the last month convincing friends to make the bike ride with me. Some were skeptical, thinking it would be easier to stay in London. But I was adamant that totality is where it's at, and that they would regret staying here.

120km round trip. Decent headwind there, but a nice zippy tailwind back. Some pretty terrible traffic between the lake and Aylmer, but there was a shoulder bike lane that made it a breeze. Long day, but absolutely worth it. A few clouds were hanging on the horizon of Erie, but nothing obstructed our view. Everyone has such a great time, and kept thanking me for convincing them to come. Watching the shadow move in over lake. The 360 degree sunset. The weird desaturation of colours. Wildlife getting progressively quietier and then silent. And of course totality itself. Most amazing thing I've seen in quite a while.

Spent all of last night looking for my binoculars to view totality, but never found them. Would have been great to look at the corona and solar flares during totality.

Did anyone else notice the bright pink/orange solar flare at the bottom of the ring?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I inadvertently saw the corona twice (tried not to look, but I caught it out of the corner of my eye). Spectacular show. Compared to the warm basking temperature before the event got started, it became quite cold as the sun was progressively blocked out by the moon.

Lots of people at Pinafore Park. We tried to get to the Lake, but the traffic was getting bad. No worries, as we were in the zone of totality.

Bolognium, sounds like a great biking day trip.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:06 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Anyone else capture the eclipse? I got down to Pinafore Park in (the southern part of) St. Thomas. Viewing conditions were superb (full sunshine), and we were in the zone of totality for about a minute and a half. Incredible show.
Best shot we got from southern St. Thomas. 91 seconds of totality where I was, perfect conditions.

Took about 50% longer than normal getting to St Thomas, and about twice as long the way back. I was expecting worse

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 2:34 PM

I was originally going to the Niagara region due to the length of totality there (3m45s), but changed my mind at the last minute due to questionable weather there (thanks weather satellite). Went to Port Burwell instead as a compromise between length of totality there (3 minutes) and likenesses of clear skys.

It turned out that there was some thin high cloud, but that was easy to see through. All in all it was very, very remarkable. Red prominences were easily viable to the naked eye at the 2 and 6 o'clock positions on the rim, and the contrast between black moon and and the corona gave the appearance of something that was simply otherworldly or supernatural.

Anyone who could have made the trip but didn't bother to make the effort to make the trip to get underneath the totality was a damn fool. It's the sort of thing one will never forget.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 2:41 PM

I was at Long Point on the beach with my fiancée. Totality was an incredible experience, around 3m30s, and it looked like the sun was setting everywhere on the horizon. Conditions were perfect. I was initially a little worried in the morning with the rain but it cleared up nicely just in time. I got some decent photos on my DSLR that I still have to process.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 2:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Glad to hear that some of you got to experience this amazing event.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:20 PM

Stunning show just outside Port Rowan. Traffic back was not bad at all using back roads to Tillsonburg.

One thing I noticed was how may contrails from commercial jets where aligned with the path of totality including one that flew west and made a U-turn above Port Rowan. Plus there were numerous small planes including the 3 old trainers that fly out of St Thomas I think flying in formation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation