HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 8:20 PM

good examples of "density without urbanism"

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
good examples of "density without urbanism"
The Fields is supposed to have retail, restaurants and a grocery store once it's all complete. It'll be like a mini Santana Row. Plus, Great Mall is right next to the BART station but it needs to have a better way to connect with each other. A pedestrian bridge is planned to go North to the new apartments but it doesn't really solve the problem with connecting the station with Great Mall.

The Fields
https://vimeo.com/146209365

edit: any clue as to how to post a vimeo player on this website?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:20 PM
I enjoy discussing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
The Fields is supposed to have retail, restaurants and a grocery store once it's all complete. It'll be like a mini Santana Row. Plus, Great Mall is right next to the BART station but it needs to have a better way to connect with each other. A pedestrian bridge is planned to go North to the new apartments but it doesn't really solve the problem with connecting the station with Great Mall.
That's great but maybe they could start with something simple, I dunno, installing sidewalks in the surrounding neighborhood?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumoto View Post
That's great but maybe they could start with something simple, I dunno, installing sidewalks in the surrounding neighborhood?
It's in the works once everything is completed of course haha.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:51 PM

Not big of a news but a new grocery market will break ground in West Oakland:

Quote:
The People’s Community Market, to be built at 3103 to 3105 Myrtle Street, obtained a building permit from the city before the end of 2017, according to its website. The project also closed out the year with $5.5 million in construction loans.

“With building permit and construction funding in hand, we’re on track to begin construction of our full-service food market, cafe and social hall,” founder Brahm Ahmadi said in a blog post. “We’re mobilizing to begin demolition in January 2018. While there are variables that could affect our construction timeline, we’re optimistic that our market will open before the end of 2018."
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/01...ime=1516374943

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:17 PM

Santa Clara officials are looking at a new proposal for high rises on a former Yahoo campus property near Levi's Stadium.

The article states an office building of 600 feet high and a residential building of 400 feet will be in the area.

Office Space: 3.5mil SF = 12k Office Jobs

Hotel/Office: 400k SF

Residential: 6mil SF = ~6k Housing Units

Retail: 600k SF

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...velopment.html

Last edited by gillynova; Jan 27, 2018 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Santa Clara officials are looking at a new proposal for high rises on a former Yahoo campus property near Levi's Stadium.

The article states an office building of 600 feet high and a residential building of 400 feet will be in the area.

Office Space: 3.5mil SF = 12k Office Jobs

Hotel/Office: 400k SF

Residential: 6mil SF = ~6k Housing Units

Retail: 600k SF

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...velopment.html
Please do this; although the jobs still outnumber housing (12k to 6k), it's not as bad as most projects where the ratio is more like 20:1

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
Please do this; although the jobs still outnumber housing (12k to 6k), it's not as bad as most projects where the ratio is more like 20:1
Their estimates are 12k and 12k, but I think they completely underestimate what companies will do with that much space, and 18k jobs sounds more realistic when fully leased. Ideally it is 1:1 employed people to employees. But if they just bump up the population to 18k I think that would be fine.

But being so far from BART and Caltrain is a big drawback.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:50 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
...But being so far from BART and Caltrain is a big drawback.
Old Ironsides light rail stop, which can be seen in the graphic, is 24 mins from Mountain View Caltrain, which isn't toooo bad

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:10 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
Old Ironsides light rail stop, which can be seen in the graphic, is 24 mins from Mountain View Caltrain, which isn't toooo bad
VTA LR is woefully underutilized, with an annual ridership of 10.7 million. There needs to be more TOD like this project built around these stations.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
I transferred from Caltrain to VTA light rail to Old Ironsides Station on the morning of January 3rd. I watched a plethora of millennial-looking people exiting the train at various tech buildings along the route. The timing wasn’t too bad transferring from Caltrain to VTA light rail to these offices. Seems like there could be potential for future increases in ridership given the willingness of millennialist to use transit, as long as it actually connects to where they need/want to go. Certainly would be nice to see the land near the Santa Clara Convention Center & Stadium developed more densely and in to something that’s more of a draw throughout the year..

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
It will also be roughly 27 minutes from the BART station once VTA changes their schedules, granted there you have to go up and up again take the bridge and go up again to the elevated station.

These all seem like pretty poor use when you think that most people will probably come from within a 10 miles area, 15 miles will probably be 85-90% of commuters, if you're south of the MV station you will have to go north and transfer to VTA adding to that 24 minutes. The light rail won't be that fast from north SJ or DTSJ. BART to VTA from Fremont won't be fast either.

I imagine most people will drive to this location, by a much bigger factor than somewhere like downtown Palo Alto, or Google's Diridon location.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:56 AM

my commute involves taking Caltrain from the 4th and King St station in San Francisco to Redwood City. occasionally I post pics of projects from the view out the train window, but recently I've noticed the number of things to see has been going up, so I thought a single, collective, snapshot post would be fun. the pics were taken on two days, 1/25 (the sunny ones), and 1/29.

for reference, the stations along the route, north to south, are:

4th and King, SF
22nd St, SF
Bayshore, SF
South SF
San Bruno
Millbrae
Burlingame
San Mateo
Hayward Park (San Mateo)
Hillsdale/Bay Meadows (San Mateo)
Belmont
San Carlos
Redwood City

this thread is not about SF, but just for continuity, as you pull out of 4th and King, on the north side of the tracks is the new office building wrapping up on Townsend at Sixth

rounding the first curve, you pass 100 Hooper, PDR space

cheating a bit: not the view from the train, but when stopped in the below-ground-level 22nd St station, looking up, you can see the crane for this project which is a couple blocks to the west

coming out of the tunnel from 22nd St, a glimpse of Rebuild Potrero's Phase 1

continuing on, coming out of the tunnel at San Francisco's southern border at Bayshore station, the old Schlage Lock factory site has been undergoing site prep for over a year, and supposedly should start actual construction this year, last I remember reading. for now, this is it:

approaching South San Francisco, the Genesis project on the slope of San Bruno Mtn

I'll just mention the Cove at Oyster Point (SSF) project in passing, since it has its own webcam...

coming into South San Francisco station, literally tons of equipment and material has been staged as they get ready to give the station a makeover that will greatly improve access, via an underground passage connecting both west and east sides of the station. and, on the left in the distance you can also make out one of the downtown SSF projects (Cadence) coming up out of the ground

to give you an idea of current conditions: at some point some group of planners (I'm just guessing in the 1960s) decided it would be a great idea to put this between the town of SSF and its train station, making people walk up the overpass and down a long flight of stairs to reach a train

if you look closer, there is Cadence showing through again, and in the foreground, the future west entrance to the station passage. (maybe better would have been to locate the tunnel portal on the west side of Airport Blvd so people didn't have to cross the busy street, but oh well)

nothing actively going in Millbrae at the moment

next station down, little Burlingame, has something cooking on both the east side...

... and west side of the tracks

downtown San Mateo also has a parcel being excavated on the east side

Hayward Park's Station Park Green has been documented before, but here is the latest look

approaching Hillsdale/Bay Meadows, on the west side of the tracks they are working on the project to extend three roads under the railway, connecting the Bay Meadows development with El Camino. in the last shot you can see part of Hillsdale Mall's reconstruction also

at Bay Meadows itself (east side of tracks), the third office building is making steady progress (on the left that's one of the streets that will pass under the tracks)...

... and the next batch of housing nearest the current station as well (on the right):

approaching Belmont, there are a couple fairly substantial things going up on the west side of the rails, the second one across El Camino from the end of the station's northern parking lot (those lots are so absurdly long that this still means you probably have a 5-10 min walk to the station from there)

Belmont is pretty much low-rise, but the area closer to the station has notable gaps even in that fabric. there is a plan, however, apparently

San Carlos has also been covered previously, but here is the current state of the transit village phase 1 buildings

those are separated from the station by a road, but adjacent to the station itself, the northern parking lot has been dug up for two additional buildings...

... as has the southern, and the recently-installed new transit center/parking lot is now fully open

and finally, getting off the train in Redwood City, the new office building across from Box is almost done

Last edited by timbad; Jan 31, 2018 at 9:48 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 7:25 PM

Redwood City looks so pretty with those new buildings. Is it possible for you, when you have free time of course, to post more pics of "downtown" Redwood City? I've never gone and I'm located all the way in Milpitas.

Thanks for the update on that side of the Bay as usual Timbad!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:30 AM

Quote:
... Is it possible for you, when you have free time of course, to post more pics of "downtown" Redwood City? ...
absolutely, I've been meaning to do it for a while, actually. it's a bit harder in the winter with the shorter days, since evenings seem to work best for me, but I should have something soon.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 6:07 AM

Quote:
absolutely, I've been meaning to do it for a while, actually. it's a bit harder in the winter with the shorter days, since evenings seem to work best for me, but I should have something soon.
Looking forward to it

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:27 PM

I passed by the Warm Springs (Fremont) station last night and wow.... there is so much development starting around that area.

If anyone lives around that area, can you please take pics?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 7:24 AM

I know I still owe a Redwood City series here, I haven't forgotten. and with the time change, I should be able to get out one of these evenings soon. in the meantime, here're a few from out the train windows along the northern Peninsula, from various days over the last week or so. north to south.

Schlage Lock site has fairly regular activity, but still just looks like dirt moving so far

South San Francisco

if you look carefully, three cranes

Hayward Park

Hillsdale/Bay Meadows, east side of tracks

office...

last of the visible in-progress housing for the moment, looks like

west side of tracks

approaching Bay Meadows from the north, 25th Ave, which will be grade-separated to pass under the tracks

looking west toward El Camino down what will be the extension of 28th Ave from Bay Meadows

other views

San Carlos, where people may have moved into the first of the four initial buildings

but construction continues on the others

the former north parking lot

former south parking lot

teaser of Redwood City

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:05 AM

I took some time today to walk around Warm Springs and take some photos of all of the construction going on down there. It's exciting to see this part of Fremont develop and urbanize around the new Bart station and the Tesla factory. I apologize some of these photos aren't in order.

Some prepping on a new lot on the other side of Grimmer:

Some multi-story wrap buildings have their garages almost complete:

The green mission hills will provide a nice backdrop to this new neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaxson View Post
I took some time today to walk around Warm Springs and take some photos of all of the construction going on down there. It's exciting to see this part of Fremont develop and urbanize around the new Bart station and the Tesla factory. ...
nice to see. when I went out there last summer to do the same thing, the only development I saw was some distance away (my recollection is that it was to the SW) - looks like it's time to go have another look

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations