HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:26 PM

Winnipeg | 825 Taché | ?M | 7F | Proposed

Quote:
This residential infill proposal is the result of a City of Winnipeg Proposal Call to acquire and develop the 825 Taché Lands, Sunstone Resort Communities was the successful proponent. We believe this proposal was successful in large part, because it responds to the principles established in the North St Boniface Secondary Plan and re-establishes the Taché Avenue frontage with traditional scale buildings and yards. The proposal reimagines the existing vacant, light industrial lands as a new vibrant residential opportunity. When approved by the City and completed, this proposal will consist of:
http://825tache.com/concept/

- A seven (7) storey residential condominium building containing 78 units along the Red River at Taché Avenue and Rue Hébert;
- Two, two (2) storey mixed-use buildings each containing one mixed-use unit and one residential unit on Taché Avenue and Rue Darveau;
- One, two (2) storey duplex building containing 2 residential units on Taché Avenue; and,
- All parking, landscaping and vehicular and pedestrian circulation accesses via Rue Hébert necessary for the development of these buildings.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:29 PM

Proposed Site Plan:

More Images Availble here:
http://825tache.com/concept/

This development is somewhat more complex and does include several other developments on the parcel acquired by Sun Stone.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:43 PM

Thanks Cyro! Kind of funny that single building left in between the new ones. Also, pretty narrow right of way for the rapid transit line, 47'-7". That's super narrow, but doable. The transitway would likely be on structure coming over the river and Tache anyways. I guess they have the Darveau St right of way there anyways. So not too bad.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:45 PM

This is the best project to come down the line for North St. Boniface in many years.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:45 PM

Anyone know, building code wise, whether there is some sort of limits at 7 storeys? That seems to be a popular height among concrete and steel buildings. The new apartments on Peguis in T-Cona west come to mind. Seem to be rather well constructed. I also like how they say non-combustible. Meaning not cheap hear your neighbour type stuff.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:53 PM
What could go wrong?

I love those two story condos right on Tache with the 7 storey in behind.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:55 PM

^ Why did they designate that one outbuilding along Tache as residential instead of CRU like the others? I can't say that location strikes me as very appealing for residential. I'd feel like I was on display.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:58 PM

Overall I like it. A bit of a layered approach. Small in front, big behind. Also nice there's no parking out front and access is off the side street. Too bad they couldn't gain possession of those two smaller buildings.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:09 PM

I think this is a fantastic use and layout of the fairly awkward land they have. Great development IMO, well scaled for the area. I'm curious if they tried to buy those other two houses there and the owners didn't want to sell right now. Maybe holding out for land value to rise there more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Why did they designate that one outbuilding along Tache as residential instead of CRU like the others? I can't say that location strikes me as very appealing for residential. I'd feel like I was on display.
My guess is that they new there may be some strong opposition from the homeowners on either side and took the safe route with that one to not cause a stir.

One thing I noticed though is that the southern existing house will lose its Taché parking access, wonder if they'll just build access off the back parking lot for it?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:18 PM

Ok this part is weird/dumb to me, from the website:

Quote:
4. The potential future transit corridor land that was included in the purchase of the property but is not considered buildable;
5. A 10 foot construction easement adjacent to the potential future transit corridor on which permanent structures may not be built,
Wouldn't it have made more sense for the city to just keep this part of the land, instead of force someone to buy it, even though they can't build on it, and then have to buy it back (for sure at a higher value) 5-10 years later when it's time to build the corridor?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think this is a fantastic use and layout of the fairly awkward land they have. Great development IMO, well scaled for the area. I'm curious if they tried to buy those other two houses there and the owners didn't want to sell right now. Maybe holding out for land value to rise there more?
I would think that's certainly what happened here... the developer likely offered a price, the owner rejected, the developer decided to go ahead without a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ok this part is weird/dumb to me, from the website:

Wouldn't it have made more sense for the city to just keep this part of the land, instead of force someone to buy it, even though they can't build on it, and then have to buy it back (for sure at a higher value) 5-10 years later when it's time to build the corridor?
Good question, I don't get that at all. Is it simply an issue of there not being funding for the next leg of BRT (including land acquisition) yet?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:39 PM

^I'm sure that's part of it, but construction costs are already high enough, especially along the river, the developer is paying for a lot of the upgrades to roads and sidewalks around the development (as per the website), and they can't even use 1/3 of the land?? AND the city will definitely expropriate it within 10 years. Just hold on to it, make a caveat the developer can pay to sod it. Seems ridiculous.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:51 PM

I think the transit corridor is already there and the City owns it. They're just showing it and referencing the construction easement, which is fairly normal.

Edit: Just checked the MLI property database and it appears the City owns the darveau St right of way and nothing more until you get up to Whittier park to the east.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:00 PM

You can see the transit corridor on the right in Whittier Park. Then only the Darveau right of way closer to the river. I wonder if they'll have a similar stipulation on all the properties along Darveau, east of Tache. That would severely limit the use of that land. Maybe into apartments or condos?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:09 PM

The transit corridor may go through Elmwood rather then north st b. In that event Sunstone states in their faq that the land will be kept as green space.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:23 PM

completely WASTED opportunity... this building should be at least 25 storeys tall. out of all neighbourhoods in this town, this would sell out for views alone. this building shows the "small town" aspirations this city still holds. this new "neighbourhood" is a complete disaster.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:43 PM
BANNED

I agree it could be taller.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 9:42 PM

^^ It would be interesting to know what the zoning laws (height) are for the area Jeff. Seen some older stuff from 2010, but haven't gone over what the (big plan for the area is).. recently. Significantly different area than the Forks proposals but..very similar in the scope of allowable developments.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^^ It would be interesting to know what the zoning laws (height) are for the area Jeff. Seen some older stuff from 2010, but haven't gone over what the (big plan for the area is).. recently. Significantly different area than the Forks proposals but..very similar in the scope of allowable developments.

the secondary plan for tbe area was updated this year. the taller developments are limited to the western edge, and the limits get more restrictive as you move east. I think this project is pretty close to the upper limit. the community in there is very much opposed to tall structures. I don't get it personally...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:07 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
the secondary plan for tbe area was updated this year. the taller developments are limited to the western edge, and the limits get more restrictive as you move east. I think this project is pretty close to the upper limit. the community in there is very much opposed to tall structures. I don't get it personally...
That is so unfortunate given the great views that could be had from that location. I envision a neighbourhood with the shorter towers like this one right on the waterfront but then behind it they could zone it to allow 25-30 stories. Imagine the draw it would be. Marketing a condo on the 25th floor in north st b especially facing the river would be the easiest sell ever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan