HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Bank of America Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 3:14 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 3:26 PM
Editor

Very nice shots!

Could someone fix the roof height value in the diagrams to 287.9meter?

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 11:26 PM

From this weekend:

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 7:52 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...n_gets_shy.php

Bank of America Tower Exposes Itself, Then Gets Shy

May 13, 2010, by Pete

Quote:
Midtown's bail-out behemoth, aka the Bank of America Tower, is finally showing off everything it's got, and a celebration is in store. The ungainly scaffolding that's been up at Sixth Avenue and 42nd Street for the better part of the last decade has come down and the glowing lobby of One Bryant Park is now lighting up the intersection.

But lest those lights opposite Bryant Park draw you in, Beware!

Photos of the 54-story crystalline castle from architects Cook + Fox are not appreciated, and the security crew is quick to point out the policy as they shoo shutterbugs from the sidewalk out front.

Security is fierce as shutterbugs are shoo'ed away.

If I could, I would take a photo a day, post it, and call it "BofA Today". I've been photographing this site since before it was a hole in the ground. I'll be damned if they're going to stop me now. If it's seen from the street, it can be photographed. I had similar issues with the security at BPC telling me I couldn't photograph the Goldman Sachs tower.

If they're so "shy" about being seen, they should chop that spire off the top.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 4:19 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If I could, I would take a photo a day, post it, and call it "BofA Today". I've been photographing this site since before it was a hole in the ground. I'll be damned if they're going to stop me now. If it's seen from the street, it can be photographed. I had similar issues with the security at BPC telling me I couldn't photograph the Goldman Sachs tower.

If they're so "shy" about being seen, they should chop that spire off the top.
GS security is a pain in the ass (one day i was walking by and a security guy approached me just to inform me that i'm "trespassing" - i mean WTF!?) and now BofA it trying to "catch up"! great. they should be very well aware of the fact that many tourists will stop by and take a picture, after all BofA is manhattan's second tallest skyscraper - for now.

Joel Raskin

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 2:42 AM
JoeCooper

Awesome pictures by all! With all the security hassles you guys undergo, keep up the great work and my hats go off to you all! Also, I'd be willing to bet that this building really is 954 feet as opposed to 945 feet. Even though it is a small difference, it is one I notice.

Even though it says 945 feet on the diagrams, remember there were a number of other modifications that were made also including eliminating the wind turbine and raising the floor count. I believe those diagrams are a little outdated.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; May 17, 2010 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:04 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Maybe they'll clarify things at this "grand opening".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
GS security is a pain in the ass (one day i was walking by and a security guy approached me just to inform me that i'm "trespassing" - i mean WTF!?) and now BofA it trying to "catch up"! great. they should be very well aware of the fact that many tourists will stop by and take a picture, after all BofA is manhattan's second tallest skyscraper - for now.
Just ignore those guys. They have no authority to stop you from taking photos. Hardly anybody walks around Manhattan without a camera. If they want to keep people out of the building, like the folks over at the Woolworth do, that's fine. But I'll snap as many photos, as often as I like, from outside.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 5:13 PM
World Machine

They should build the offices underground if they want to avoid photography. Purely ridiculous, but unfortunately common.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 8:37 PM
Danny proud New Yorker

a couple a pics I took today

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 1:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/op...er=rss&emc=rss

Don’t LEED Us Astray

By ALEC APPELBAUM
May 19, 2010

Quote:
TODAY Al Gore is expected to join some of the city’s top developers and bankers for the grand opening of the luminous office tower known as 1 Bryant Park — the second-tallest building in New York City and, with a handsome foyer and a roster of prominent tenants, a ray of hope in a gloomy commercial real estate market.

But beyond its height and tenancy rates, 1 Bryant Park is slated to be the only office tower in the nation to draw the United States Green Building Council’s highest level of certification — platinum — in its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program, the most widely used green-building measure in the country.

The LEED program, which awards points for incorporating eco-friendly material and practices into buildings’ design and construction, has led to a sea change in the industry, introducing environmental awareness into everything from regulatory processes to rents.

But while the standard is well-intentioned, it is also greatly misunderstood. Put simply, a building’s LEED rating is more like a snapshot taken at its opening, not a promise of performance. Unless local, state and federal agencies do their part to ensure long-term compliance with the program’s ideals, it could end up putting a shiny green stamp on a generation of unsustainable buildings.

........There are plenty of buildings that boast of being “built to LEED standards” but might then leak excessive carbon once in operation. With so many developers, municipalities and federal agencies embracing environmental awareness, the government needs to make sure that a green building doesn’t go gray after its grand opening.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...e=domesticNews

NY skyscraper wins highest "green" certification

Daniel Trotta
May 20, 2010

Quote:
The U.S. Green Building Council gave the Bank of America Tower its highest rating for environmental performance and sustainability on Thursday, meaning New York City's second-tallest building is also its greenest.

At 1,200 feet, it is the second tallest building in the city after the Empire State Building. Years before the building opened, Bank of America and developers from the Durst Organization decided to create an example at the corner of 42nd Street and Sixth Avenue.

.....The project broke ground in 2004, four years before the financial crisis that led to Bank of America acquiring Merrill Lynch and Countrywide, and the accolade comes as Wall Street's reputation with the public is poor.

"It's helped with employee morale. In terms of how the financial services industry is seen by the public ... a more buoyant economy and lower unemployment will make a bigger difference in our image," said Anne Finucane, the bank's global strategy and marketing officer.

Developers say the lower carbon dioxide content in the air helps people avoid that drowsy feeling in the afternoon, and spectacular views from higher floors are enough to keep eyes open.

"There's a psychological advantage to being able to see outside the building," architect Appel said. "It's very different from the way buildings were built in the 1980s with tinted glass windows. It always looked like it was stormy outside."

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ATE/100529998#

2nd tallest NY tower is its first LEED-Platinum winner

By James Comtois
May 20, 2010

Quote:
Although a number of condos, offices and smaller buildings in the city—such as the Queens Botanical Garden Visitors Center in Flushing and The Verdesian apartment building in Battery Park City—have been Platinum-certified, the Bank of America Tower is the first large office building to earn the distinction.

.....Public amenities associated with the tower include a mid-block pedestrian passage known as Anita's Way and an Urban Garden Room at the corner of Sixth Avenue and West 43rd Street, which acts as a front porch by providing public space and a sheltered extension of Bryant Park.

In addition, the project includes the newly-opened LEED-Gold certified Stephen Sondheim Theatre, which was originally built as Henry Miller's Theatre in 1918, and is now the first “green” theater on Broadway.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 1:50 PM

I'd be interested to see how many platinum skyscrapers there are out there.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 3:01 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2010/slidesh...3-years-making

A Tour of Jolly Green Monster One Bryant Park as It (Officially) Opens

Quote:
43 Years in the Making
The recently completed Bank of America tower (a.k.a. One Bryant Park) will have its official grand opening gala Thursday night—complete with scheduled appearances by Mayor Bloomberg and tenant Al Gore—with the owners throwing the celebration now that some final touch-up work is finally completed and the scaffolding has been taken down. (The building opened to tenants in 2008.)

On account of the "opening," we took a tour of the tower on Wednesday, guided by developer Douglas Durst and architect Bob Fox of Cook + Fox, who showed off the building's many sustainable features and other innovative designs.

A few things to note about the building itself: It has been decades in the making for the Durst family, which, according to Mr. Durst, first bought land on the site in 1967. The family gradually acquired more and more land on the block, and, in 1996, started work on the 4 Times Square tower on the western part of it. In 2003, using the state to help threaten eminent domain, Mr. Durst acquired land from a final set of three holdouts, clearing the way for the tower. He formed a 50/50 joint venture with Bank of America, which also occupies 1.6 million square feet of the 2.2 million–square–foot tower. (He also, controversially, received the generous subsidy of triple tax-exempt Liberty Bonds to finance the tower. The bonds were intended to help Lower Manhattan recover after 9/11, and the Bryant Park tower is quite a long way from downtown.)

The building is the largest office tower to be built in the city in the last cycle, and commanded some of the highest office rents in the nation—asking rents were more than $150 a foot—for the final few floors.

It also is highly sustainable, and just received word that it indeed achieved the top LEED Platinum rating. The exterior, for instance, captures rainwater that hits the glass, filtering it and putting it into the building's water system. The glass tower is currently the city's second-tallest counting its spire, which rises to 1,200 feet. —Eliot Brown
Photos from the article by Brian Letwin, who also has the set on flickr.

The Developer
Here's Mr. Durst, the taciturn liberal landlord whose family owns and built many a tower in midtown. At one point, his father, Seymour Durst, had a giant plan to remake Times Square into something of a new Rockefeller Center.

The Architect
Bob Fox, left, has worked for Mr. Durst before. His prior firm, Fox and Fowle (partner Bruce Fowle is now with FXFowle), designed the neighboring 4 Times Square. On the right is Jordan Barowitz, Mr. Durst's government and public relations aide and a former city official.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 3:26 AM

so was anything "spectacular" done to the tower?

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 4:23 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

A comparative shot of that same corner from back in 2003.

Last edited by NYC4Life; May 23, 2010 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 5:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Deleted most of the construction shots from my account, but here are some going back to 2006...

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 8:07 AM

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 2:37 AM

so i guess the spire remains unlit...

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 4:59 AM
Salut tout le monde!

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 7:22 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Hey guys I back after a long hiatus
Here's a great great video about the Bank of America Tower. Also great to hear it's finally open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ptgz...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcT5...eature=related

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 5:44 PM
Astorian

May 22nd, 2010

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture