HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 7:45 AM
Urban Fanactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

This will be great once the west donlands are fully developed and people start to use this park. Nice to see that the land under the Gardiner is being put to good public space.
Strange why people are complaining about this. I thought it would be something that you guys would like.

Good for Toronto to start to finally utilize the space under the Gardiner.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. Toronto is the quintessential north American city: big, modern, brash, layered, classic.
I was talking about the skyline.

The four 250 meter towers all lined up look like an Asian City. What North American City has four 250 meter towers all lined up like that?

With all this massive condo development and mega tall residential towers going up no North American city really compares well to Toronto skyline wise. The best comparison to Toronto will be Singapore.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Um... and the people are where?
If you look at the picture you can see it's still basically a construction site. Also the area around there is currently being redeveloped. The people haven't moved in yet

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 7:34 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
This will be great once the west donlands are fully developed and people start to use this park. Nice to see that the land under the Gardiner is being put to good public space.
Strange why people are complaining about this. I thought it would be something that you guys would like.

Good for Toronto to start to finally utilize the space under the Gardiner.
Not the Gardiner but the Eastern Avenue Extension. I'm quite optimistic about the success of the playground depending how it links up with Don River Park. (which will be a destination for the whole area)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 7:01 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Future Toronto skyline - Toronto will look more and more like an Asian city than a North American one.

Canadian National Rendering from UT - Future Toronto with update proposals/massing concepts

Thread here:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...allman)/page14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Cool renderings but the above quoted statement is absurd. Sorry Cal. Toronto will never ever look more like an Asian city than a North American one. It is not possible.
Funny enough, another post from another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylyte View Post

If even one of these mega-scrapers go up, the familiar postcard skyline as seen from the island will be changed forever. People like to compare us to Chicago, but the new Toronto strikes me as becoming very Chinese (Dalian, Guangzhou etc) in composition. Let's hope the architecture will be as good as the proposals seem to be.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
If you look at the picture you can see it's still basically a construction site. Also the area around there is currently being redeveloped. The people haven't moved in yet
You're being far too forgiving. That's going to remain empty. Would you hang out there?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:55 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
You're being far too forgiving. That's going to remain empty. Would you hang out there?

Unless Dr. Joe is 6 years old, probably not.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:40 AM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Unless Dr. Joe is 6 years old, probably not.
You make a very good point Cal!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:00 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
You make a very good point Cal!
Well lets just hope we have thousands of toddlers around to cram into the underpasses because there's no way in hell a little bit of sprucing up is going to make these areas destinations of choice.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 2:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

No offense to the person making this rendering, but this is the worst future Toronto skyline I have ever seen. Fugly uninspired towers....almost like the fugly harbour centre is mutating and multiplying.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 2:28 PM
gettin' rich!

Let's pray Yorkville get's it supertall towers, so at least there something going on in the Northend of the city.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 4:14 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Well lets just hope we have thousands of toddlers around to cram into the underpasses because there's no way in hell a little bit of sprucing up is going to make these areas destinations of choice.
I wouldn't expect that much. I'm sure it'll be lightly used at first until the area becomes more developed, only then will we be able to make the final call on whether or not it was a smart idea. And I wasn't laughing at your concerns, which are indeed very legitimate, Cal just made a funny joke is all

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Southcore is built around Bremner, which is sure to become the number one entertainment street in Toronto.

ACC, Rogers Centre, Convention Centre, Ripley's Aquarium, CN Tower, Real Sports Bar & Grill (Best Sports Bar in North America), Longos,and Elleven.

Also I was just using the West Donlands as an example that living under the highway isn't such a bad thing.
Southcore is easily my least favorite development in the City. 18 York makes my stomach turn, I am not a fan. The Telus building is leagues ahead in quality.

What good are tall buildings if they are ugly?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:48 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Southcore is easily my least favorite development in the City. 18 York makes my stomach turn, I am not a fan. The Telus building is leagues ahead in quality.

What good are tall buildings if they are ugly?
So you like Cityplace then? right? - I'm sure you're not being overly dramatic, anyways, just want to see your opinion on that project, which everyone seems to hate.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 12:50 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

No offense to the person making this rendering, but this is the worst future Toronto skyline I have ever seen. Fugly uninspired towers....almost like the fugly harbour centre is mutating and multiplying.
Could not possibly agree more.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 1:24 AM
gettin' rich!

Just so you know guys, there are another 3 or 4 200 meter plus tower proposals that need to be added to that rendering including 45 Bay, and 60 Harbour which is another 60 plus twin tower project that will taper down the skyline heading to 1 Yonge.

Skyline axis is moving from east-west to north-south anyways, so the joke about Toronto being the megacity might finally get a grain of truth. This place will be huge, as there will be two entertainment zones south of Yonge-Dundas, and two commercial cores emerging to the north of Yonge-Dundas. All four of these "zones" will be focalized on massive clusters of 200 meter plus towers.

Entertainment Zones: Sports/Theatre/Nightclubs/Restos

Southcore and the Entertainment District

Commercial/ Shopping Zones:

College Park and Yorkville

Toronto's skyline will become like that movie I saw as a kid.. The Never Ending Storey

Full hours walk north to south, full hours walk east to west.

Last edited by caltrane74; Nov 18, 2011 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:03 AM

These towers will actually make the skyline look smaller, in the same way that the wall of towers along false creek makes Vancouver's skyline appear smaller than if they weren't there. Layers make a skyline look big. Condos on steroids tend to do the opposite.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:36 AM
gettin' rich!

East west skyline axis - Yonge/Church to Dufferin.

Toronto's skyline is growing west to Dufferin, it reaches the Princess Gates as it stands now. These Towers plus the half dozen or so monster condos not drawn will do as much to make the Toronto Skyline look small, as the CN Tower does.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 7:04 AM
gettin' rich!

by me

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 7:17 PM

the last picture looks great cal. funny how the one tower, even though it appears to be taller than FCP, which would make it a supertall, still it is greatly dwarfed by the CN tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada