HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:51 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
What's up with the vacancy?
According to the developer:

Quote:
I understand how it can look like nothing has happened but there has been a lot happening down at the city which is great news. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. We are almost there and I appreciate everyone's patience.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
I understand how it can look like nothing has happened but there has been a lot happening down at the city which is great news. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. We are almost there and I appreciate everyone's patience.
I still don't get what they're talking about. They're saying the city has caused them to keep it vacant?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 8:22 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
I still don't get what they're talking about. They're saying the city has caused them to keep it vacant?
I think they've been stuck in the permitting process.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I think they've been stuck in the permitting process.
In that case, does anyone know if there's a legitimate reason the city is postponing this? Is this NIMBYs messing with the permitting?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 9:09 PM

Sometimes permitting / inspections just take longer than anticipated. From a quick browse at portlandmaps it's their infrastructure improvements that have taken a long time. They don't seem to have even applied for any building permits yet.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Sometimes permitting / inspections just take longer than anticipated. From a quick browse at portlandmaps it's their infrastructure improvements that have taken a long time. They don't seem to have even applied for any building permits yet.
Probably failing sewer that needed taking care of? I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it because there was ambiguity from posters.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:02 AM

Quote:
In that case, does anyone know if there's a legitimate reason the city is postponing this? Is this NIMBYs messing with the permitting?
A few nearby property owners who I know have indicated the developer just didn't seem to realize what was involved in a project like this and may have taken on more than he may have been prepared for. One person I know who lives nearby said she's annoyed it's taking so long, but that the developer is a really nice guy. She said she's excited about the project, she just wants it over with.

As good news there were workers on site today, and no parking signs all around the site, so hopefully they're getting things figured out.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 8:01 PM

Abbasi Design Works has requested Early Assistance for a project at 3150 SE Belmont St:

Quote:
New construction of 20 apartment with commercial on ground floor and on-site parking

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Abbasi Design Works has requested Early Assistance for a project at 3150 SE Belmont St:
Let us know if any renderings are floating around.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Southeast Portland housing project approaches net-zero energy

Architects of an innovative Southeast Portland project have thrown open the doors of a project that aims to give more than it takes.

The Ankeny Row townhomes are designed to meet net-zero Passive House standards, as laid down by the Passive House Institute. Green Hammer founder and CEO Stephen Aiguier and certified Passive House consultant Alex Boetzel led a tour of the Portland spots this week.

Ankeny Row consists of six craftsman-style townhomes and a shared common building, garden and courtyard, It sits on a 12,600-square-foot lot.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 10:39 PM

Looking at the street façade in the Business Journal article, the two-story south-facing façade is broken up by an overhang at the first floor level that matches the second floor overhang. I presume this is for solar summer shading purposes. Certainly a different look, but not bad. I see a Japanese influence in the proportions and coloring.

BTW, Dick Benner, former head of DLCD, and his wife, are some of those involved in this project.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 11:05 PM

Actually that picture was in Friday's Oregonian business section ("A shift in retirement housing"). The overhangs look like they're in the middle of the second story, and the first story is recessed to proved shade.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:22 AM

Langano Apartments

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:56 AM
A before E

I like the look of those buildings; I like it when the A frame is applied to a modern building like that.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:02 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
This isn't an A-frame. It's a gabled roof.

Personally, I think this looks horrible, like 3 Monopoly hotels crammed together. The trendy random window placement just makes it worse. To each their own, I guess.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:34 AM

They're visually interesting to me, but it seems like any thought for how it interacts with the street at the ground level weren't very imaginative. Hopefully the details and finish on the ground floor prove me wrong, but I suspect it'll be low effort glass/concrete that feels overwhelmed by the top floors.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:40 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
This isn't an A-frame. It's a gabled roof.

Personally, I think this looks horrible, like 3 Monopoly hotels crammed together. The trendy random window placement just makes it worse. To each their own, I guess.
Sorry, gabled roof, I can see why you would think that, but I have to disagree. For me personally, I like the design.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:51 PM

Early Assistance has been requested by Siteworks Design | Build for a project at 3610 SE 29th Ave:

Quote:
Phase 1 of new multi family dwelling structures. 62 dwelling units total. 1 3-story structure on R1 parcel, 2 4-story structures on CG parcel. Ground floor residential with parking and landscaping. Phase 2 will be new 4-story hostel with 25 dwelling units.
A building permit is under review for a new building at 2100 SE Belmont St by Urban Development Group:

Quote:
Construct new 4 story 55 unit apartment building with underground parking; associated site work

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 2:25 AM

I'm loving the Langano building overall, mostly due to the modern gabled roof. The fact that this project was commissioned by two Ethiopian immigrants is a compelling backstory, too. Thumbs up to the modern gabled roof -- agree about the ground floor, though (hoping the angle and lighting in that picture is deceptive). I like the windows. I'll take trendy if it looks good.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:33 PM

Series of tweets from @cityhallwatch

Quote:
City Council is back at it after lengthy uber/lyft meeting last night. Opening act: several neighbors in SE Portland along 50th avenue
Quote:
Michael Van Kleeck, SE Portland resident, blames the entire city council for deciding to "let developers have a gold rush on our city."
Quote:
Called for a moratorium of all building on SE 50th, which he said has 300 units proposed. "The dragon at the base of Mt. Tabor is rallying"
Quote:
Have you had your coffee yet? "Our planet as we know it is dying," says @NovickOR in response to neighborhood folks opposed to dev.
Quote:
"This is actually one of the few places in the country that we can expect will survive. so more and more people will flee here as refugees."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland