HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I've never such widespread delusional beliefs as Ottawa Civil servants, real estate investors, city officials etc who think a Pierre Polievre led government is going to keep the 100,000 new millennial civil servants doing endless GBA+ analyses and be content with attrition of retiring boomers.
So many very self-made business owners in Ottawa are going to vote for Skippy, who will then eat their faces by firing all their customers.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
I've never such widespread delusional beliefs as Ottawa Civil servants, real estate investors, city officials etc who think a Pierre Polievre led government is going to keep the 100,000 new millennial civil servants doing endless GBA+ analyses and be content with attrition of retiring boomers.
Where did I ever say I thought the Conservatives were going to form the next government? I didn't, and I'm not delusional.

The Liberals are already planning to shrink the public service through attrition. If they hold onto power - or in a coalition with the NDP - we'll get more or less the following: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ears-1.7175515

If it's Conservatives next time - then no doubt they would accelerate it. But Polievre is a career politician, and a local one. I don't think he would have an appetite for inflicting a lot pain on his own constituents. Carleton riding has plenty of public servants living in it.

With him in charge I'd expect a major hiring freeze, extra buyouts, a trimming of contractors and temp workers etc. If the Conservatives were running with a PM candidate who was from outside the Ottawa area... I think then all bets would be off.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
Where did I ever say I thought the Conservatives were going to form the next government? I didn't, and I'm not delusional.

The Liberals are already planning to shrink the public service through attrition. If they hold onto power - or in a coalition with the NDP - we'll get more or less the following: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ears-1.7175515

If it's Conservatives next time - then no doubt they would accelerate it. But Polievre is a career politician, and a local one. I don't think he would have an appetite for inflicting a lot pain on his own constituents. Carleton riding has plenty of public servants living in it.

With him in charge I'd expect a major hiring freeze, extra buyouts, a trimming of contractors and temp workers etc. If the Conservatives were running with a PM candidate who was from outside the Ottawa area... I think then all bets would be off.
Well if you are counting on Pierre's love of Ottawa then good luck to you. He was anti civil servants when his career depended on Ottawa. As PM it would no longer matter, even a bit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
I don't think he would have an appetite for inflicting a lot pain on his own constituents. Carleton riding has plenty of public servants living in it.
Pierre Poilievre has an insatiable appetite for inflicting pain on others, including people who think he is their friend.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Pierre Poilievre has an insatiable appetite for inflicting pain on others, including people who think he is their friend.
Civil Servants who think he is their friend deserve their fate. Frankly small business owners or real estate investors who think so equally do.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Civil Servants who think he is their friend deserve their fate. Frankly small business owners or real estate investors who think so equally do.
Hell, his own caucus and party members are starting to clue in.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Hell, his own caucus and party members are starting to clue in.
I don't see evidence of that. I am speaking only about Civil Servants. Cutting 100k is overdue anyway but it's going to be a big kick to an already down Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I don't see evidence of that.
You would if you were tracking which CPC MPs are abruptly announcing they aren't running again.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:33 PM

Federal Public Servants will soon need to be in the office three days a week.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...MKP7ECUILTJAY/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Federal Public Servants will soon need to be in the office three days a week.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...MKP7ECUILTJAY/
That is big. If it is enforced, that is.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
That is big. If it is enforced, that is.
“The shade of paint in the lunch room gives me migraines, thus I’m unable to come into the office.”

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:42 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Pierre Poilievre has an insatiable appetite
As seen by his attack on an unsuspecting apple.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 9:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Downtown restaurant owners skeptical that more civil servants will return to work in the core

Sarah MacFarlane, OBJ
April 30, 2024 4:15 PM ET

If a rumoured directive requiring federal civil servants to be in the office a minimum of three days a week comes to pass, it could be good news for downtown restaurant owners who have been scrambling to stay afloat in a downtown “ghost town.”

Many, though, remain skeptical.

Amir Rahim, owner of Grounded Kitchen, has been pivoting his business since the pandemic to accommodate the changes in Ottawa’s downtown. Grounded Kitchen on Gloucester Street was a pre-pandemic hotspot for both public- and private-sector workers in the core, but since COVID, Rahim says he has adapted, trying everything from lunch and dinner specials to new initiatives such as opening a second location on Carling Avenue that is driven by automation.

But with the news this week of a potentially stricter return-to-office mandate for civil servants, Rahim said his gut reaction is one of skepticism.

“A lot of mandates and requests have been echoed a lot over the past year. We’ve heard companies, including the feds, saying people will be back to work and haven’t seen a big difference,” Rahim told OBJ. “My gut reaction is that remote work has caused a difficulty and that this will be harder than we think. When it happens for real, I’ll know it’s working.”

Grounded on Gloucester has already seen an uptick in lunch traffic, but Rahim doesn’t attribute it entirely to the public service. Instead, most of Grounded’s customers are private-sector or Crown corporation employees, Rahim explained, as well as upper and middle management for the public service.

“I don’t know where they’re working, but they live downtown. They’re in suits, they didn’t wake up, put on a suit and come here for lunch. But all I know is they’re working and we’re full for lunch most days,” he said.

Since bringing back lunch service, Rahim said Grounded Kitchen’s earnings are comparable to those in 2019 and on track to eclipse pre-pandemic numbers by the end of this year. If there is a ramped-up return to office for public servants, he said Grounded can rely on a more varied customer base and, in turn, revive services that have taken a back seat.

For example, before the pandemic, off-site catering was responsible for 40 per cent of Grounded’s sales, said Rahim. But with fewer corporate events, business lunches and in-person gatherings, catering has decreased. Takeout service has also gone down.

“So far, we’ve been able to mitigate that with increased sales. Our numbers are the same, but it’s all in-store dining — a loonie or four quarters is still a dollar — but this could diversify that a bit,” said Rahim. “I love serving customers in the restaurant, I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t love it.

“But this could bring more density in the restaurant on more consistent dates, increased takeout, more catering and we could still have night business,” he added. “I can even bring back more happy hours, hopefully, for those after-work drinks.”

In the ByWard Market at The Grand Pizzeria, co-owner David Mangano says “the more people downtown, the better,” and he’s preparing for a boom in business in the next few months, though not because of federal workers.

Given his restaurant’s location, he hasn’t missed the public servants as much — indeed, in some ways, their absence from the downtown core has even been better for his business, he said.

Aside from the nearby offices of the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Revenue Agency, the ByWard Market is not positioned near major government buildings, and so Mangano said The Grand does not rely on public servants.

During the summer, The Grand is supported by tourists visiting its patio and locals who come to spend a day in the Market.

“We don’t feel the pinch of people working from home as much as someone who owns a business on Sparks Street, for example, where there are a lot of people going through a hard time with so many empty government buildings,” said Mangano. “Business will improve for the summer, but that’s because of tourism.”

Since the public service has been working hybrid, Mangano said The Grand has actually seen an increase in parties of between 10 and 20 people for work-related gatherings during Market Hour, The Grand’s version of happy hour.

“They book a lunch or dinner as a face-to-face meeting and get-together to see each other in person and that increased with them working remotely post-COVID.”

Mangano said that, with the money saved by working from home, he sees remote employees more willing to dine out.

“We don’t cater to lots of offices and people who work from home have more disposable income because they’re not paying for clothes, commuting, parking, gas … So there’s a bit more disposable income and we see people come in more,” he explained. “For us, specifically, it works out to be a bit better in some ways.”

That said, Mangano says there are pros and cons to the situation and adds it’s important for the downtown core to be busy and thriving. He hopes lunch service and after-work drinks might increase at his business with a stricter return-to-office mandate — that is, he said, if it happens.

“I’m hearing they’re just not going to show up, so I’m skeptical. We say they’re going back to the office, but are they really?” he laughed. “That’s the question.”

Anish Mehra, owner of the East India Company on Somerset Street West, said he is looking forward to an increased return-to-office for the public service. He just hopes this one will stick.

“When the initial mandate happened last year, we noticed an increase in business, especially on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, because that’s when they were coming in, so we saw rushes,” explained Mehra. “But it didn’t feel like a full return because everyone had different days in the office and, since then, I think a lot of the offices have become lenient and we’ve seen a decrease, particularly at lunch.

“It seems optional, so I imagine people aren’t in office as much and we’ve seen a decrease there,” he continued. “With this new one, if it is enforced and becomes habit, there will be more plans for lunches and going out and then we’ll see the full effect.”

While Mehra said he understands the argument in favour of remote work, he hopes the desire for more social engagement will outweigh it — especially as he looks toward the revitalization of the downtown core.

“Having a vibrant and active social scene in the core takes many parts and part of that is having people in the core. Part of the business plan and expectation when you open up a business in the core is that you assume the public servants will be there,” he explained. “I know there’s been pushback, but it’s a bit of a social agreement: we will provide services and they’ll be there to take part, and the federal government has always been a big part of that.”

Since the pandemic, Mehra said the East India Company has largely recovered in sales and managed to increase the regular dinner crowd. Despite that, when he takes into account increased costs of food and labour, Mehra said federal workers in office three days per week could be the boost he needs.

“We have rebuilt our dinner and group business and our events, but the part that’s weakest is the lunch crowd,” said Mehra. “If the mandate is enforced and if people are eager to go out and support businesses, that would mean a lot to us as downtown businesses.”

As an advocate for downtown revitalization, Mehra said that having more federal workers return more often to the office is an important piece of the puzzle.

“You can’t have revitalization without people,” said Mehra. “People need that social engagement, our city needs it, and some of it takes place in the office, but it also takes place at lunch, and on the street, and in the city.

“If you create a doughnut in Ottawa, a circle of activity with a core that’s dead, you scare away tourists and visitors too and it impacts everyone,” he continued. “We need to keep people in the core so that places are open, windows aren’t boarded up, and it can thrive. Downtown needs it, and our city needs it.”

https://obj.ca/downtown-skeptical-th...s-return-core/

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 11:09 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Government confirms more details of return-to-office plan
Department heads expected to implement 3-day hybrid mandate no later than Sept. 9

CBC News
Posted: May 01, 2024 6:04 PM EDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

The federal government has released more details about its plan to bring public servants back to the office three days a week, and says it expects departments to implement the updated hybrid schedule by early September.

On its website Wednesday, the Government of Canada published a detailed directive on "prescribed presence in the workplace" for deputy heads of departments to follow.

Earlier this week, a federal government source who was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter confirmed to Radio-Canada the federal government will expect public servants back in the office three days a week beginning later this year. Major public sector unions said the news came without warning or consultation.

It's a major change to the twice-a-week hybrid model that prompted some 155,000 Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) members to walk off the job last year in what their union called a "watershed moment" for workers' rights.

The government now says it expects department managers who have not already implemented a minimum three-day in office requirement to do so no later than Sept. 9.

This directive will apply to all full-time, part-time, term and indeterminate employees, as well as students and casual workers, the government stated.

While it's insisting employees return to the office a minimum of 60 per cent of the time, the government says it will allow them to fulfil that on a weekly or monthly basis to allow some flexibility.

"Workplaces vary from one organization to the other. Deputy heads are to use discretion and adapt to their operational requirements," reads the website.

This directive will not apply to employees who were hired to work remotely before March 16, 2020, the government said.

Indigenous public servants "whose location is critical to their identity to work form their communities" and employees who have permission from their assistant deputy minister to work remotely more than 125 kilometres from their office location are also exempt.

The government added that "exceptional exemptions" will be made on a case-by-case basis.

The directive also states department leaders are responsible for verifying employees are following the new hybrid work model through attendance reports, IP login data or access records from turnstiles at the workplace.

The government is encouraging managers to hold conversations with employees to discuss barriers they may encounter, and to find solutions to help address those problems before implementing the new hybrid schedule.

"The employer has the exclusive management right to designate the location of work and to require employees to report to their designated workplace," reads the directive.

The government adds managers should make sure individual circumstances are considered on a case-by-case basis, keeping in mind human rights obligations and the duty to accommodate.

"Managers seeking to ensure compliance have tools available to them, including several administrative actions," the government said.

The Canadian Association of Professional Employees (CAPE) released a statement Wednesday in response to the government's confirmation.

"This announcement is a disaster. We are shocked at this decision which has been made in secret without consultation, and with no valid reason given," reads a statement attributed to Nathan Prier, president of CAPE.

"We will be joining our members and their colleagues in their workplaces to fight against this decision which completely ignores common sense."

Prier said the federal government has so far "offered no evidence or data" to support the claim that employees are more productive in the office.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...plan-1.7190970

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
“The shade of paint in the lunch room gives me migraines, thus I’m unable to come into the office.”
"My cubicle neighbour has gas today, I have to go home with a migrane."

"There is construction 8 floors up and I heard a drill for 30 seconds. Home."

"Doctor's appointment for an hour in the neighbouring building. Not coming back in. Home."

"Computer screen at the hotelling station flickered once. Home."

"Nobody else I know is here. Gym for 4 hours then home."

lol and those are just the ones I know happen. There's probably a plethora of others.

OH

"OC Transpo. Home."

Last edited by OTownandDown; Today at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Two days a week allows for more hoteling with cubicles and a lot more for traffic downtown. 3 days a week, means many more empty days effectively. So I'm curious about the net impact on the downtown core.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa