HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
How would such a flyover be overkill? The Golden Ears is an arterial bridge and it arguably has the largest amount of elevated structures in Metro Vancouver.

Hence beautification would be an avenue to look at. Would be great if we could have such an interchange also landscaped like they do elsewherein the world with shrub gardens (that are actually manicured as well).

I agree with option C being a poor choice.

After option D I support A upstream.

For Surrey option A is the way to go, allowing the best free flow for truck traffic. Again, the area in the loop could be landscaped.

The funny thing is at the meeting there was a reverse NIMBY who lives in the strange block of buildings the New West roads will be wrapping around. She wants her property to be bought out and demolished! She wants translink to remove that block!

Also, here is the bad news, Translink plans to make the bridge a 50km speed zone. I did complain about this and suggested that given its free flow status the route between 6th ave and the first set of lights in Surrey should be at least 60kmh, or 70kmh, similar to the speeds found on urnab arterial roads in Japan and Europe with similar free flow designs with tight interchanges.
That block of buildings in new west should have never been built in the first place. Imagine your home values if all of a sudden your condo or building is in the MIDDLE of an interchange?

Speedlimit of the bridge should be 70 km/h. I know Surrey's had considered raising King George Blvd up to 70 km/h from Pattullo right up the hill towards 108 Avenue.

They're probably be silly and design it with a 50 km/h design speed too, causing trucks to tip over, lanes being too narrow, super tight ramps (especially on the Surrey side - where there's so much room to expand if they really wanted it)

Just remember, Translink thought it was a good idea to build the Golden Ears Connector with a 60 km/h speed limit on the Surrey side, while it should easily be 80 km/h through there. It's a rural arterial roadway.....

Speed limits in Metro Vancouver are honestly usually 10 to 30 km/h below what they should - and people complain about speeding....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure