HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 10:51 PM

I went to one of the open houses last week, and came away with the impression that this consultation is all a big circle jerk to show Joe Q Public that they "listen" and "consider" the "alternatives", but they are really just intent on building the 6 lane replacement bridge.

It will take a public uprising for them to build the Coquitlam-Surrey Bridge.

In the Surrey open house I went to there were a lot of people from the Bridgeview and surrounding area of Surrey concerned about the placement of the Coquitlam-Surrey bridge and the effect new roads and approaches would have on their neighborhood (as they are very sensitive to anything right now because they feel the NFPR is harming their part of town).

There was an engineer from New Westminster that expressed New Westminsters concerns about the replacement idea. He spoke quite elegantly that adding more lanes to the bridge without improvements to the roads in New Westminster isn't going to help the situation. That is why they are dead set against the 8 Lane bridge idea, and a little for the Coquitlam-Surrey bridge as it would divert traffic away from the over busy roads in New West.

Another point of the guy from New West was they are concerned of the cost on their city to maintain the roads in New Westminster if more traffic comes off the bridge. They are already exacerbated that they have to pay to maintain their roads that are being damaged by people just driving through their city, and are worried about the damage more traffic would cause to city streets.

Which leads to one of his biggest frustrations. New West is being given "pieces of a puzzle" (his words) without the promise of all the pieces.

That is why they opposed the United Blvd Overpass. He says it is just a piece of the NFPR and there is no promise to follow through on the whole thing, or even a plan on how the United Overpass would interface or work with a proposed NFPR or the new Bridge.

New West is frustrated by not being given a complete solution.

And so am I. I want a new bridge, but I also want to be able to get out of New Westminster without driving in bumper to bumper traffic through residential neighborhoods and through school zones.

I would really like a new 6 lane bridge. But the roads in New West need major improvement. They need the NFPR.

Which is why at this moment I sort of favor the Coquitlam-Surrey bridge. It would offer a direct connection between Hwy 1 and the SFPR and King Geroge, much like the GEB/GEW is a direct connection between Lougheed and Hwy 1 and Hwy 15/14. And it would still leave a 3 lane bridge behind to offer a direct town center to town center connection (Which could be replaced down the road if need be).

But a large new Pattullo could also offer direct connections to the region if the NFPR is built at the same time. It would be a more central connection and alleviate problems existing in New West, but only with improved roads, which at this point they are not committing to. It's taken 25 years to remove a traffic light on the freeway, who knows how long it would take to build a major road.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 4:09 PM

http://www.news1130.com/2013/06/24/p...emergency-fix/

"VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – As TransLink completes another round of public consultation, the Pattullo Bridge will undergo ‘emergency’ repairs.

Derek Zabel’s TransLink isn’t saying much about the nature of the fix but claims there’s no need to worry about the fact that it’s being labeled ‘emergency’.

“It’s not due to safety reasons, we call it an emergency just because of the nature of the time constraints in order to get the work done in August when the weather is good and there’s less traffic. So we’ll have more details coming out in the near future.”"

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I went to one of the open houses last week, and came away with the impression that this consultation is all a big circle jerk to show Joe Q Public that they "listen" and "consider" the "alternatives", but they are really just intent on building the 6 lane replacement bridge.

It will take a public uprising for them to build the Coquitlam-Surrey Bridge.

In the Surrey open house I went to there were a lot of people from the Bridgeview and surrounding area of Surrey concerned about the placement of the Coquitlam-Surrey bridge and the effect new roads and approaches would have on their neighborhood (as they are very sensitive to anything right now because they feel the NFPR is harming their part of town).

There was an engineer from New Westminster that expressed New Westminsters concerns about the replacement idea. He spoke quite elegantly that adding more lanes to the bridge without improvements to the roads in New Westminster isn't going to help the situation. That is why they are dead set against the 8 Lane bridge idea, and a little for the Coquitlam-Surrey bridge as it would divert traffic away from the over busy roads in New West.

Another point of the guy from New West was they are concerned of the cost on their city to maintain the roads in New Westminster if more traffic comes off the bridge. They are already exacerbated that they have to pay to maintain their roads that are being damaged by people just driving through their city, and are worried about the damage more traffic would cause to city streets.

Which leads to one of his biggest frustrations. New West is being given "pieces of a puzzle" (his words) without the promise of all the pieces.

That is why they opposed the United Blvd Overpass. He says it is just a piece of the NFPR and there is no promise to follow through on the whole thing, or even a plan on how the United Overpass would interface or work with a proposed NFPR or the new Bridge.

New West is frustrated by not being given a complete solution.

And so am I. I want a new bridge, but I also want to be able to get out of New Westminster without driving in bumper to bumper traffic through residential neighborhoods and through school zones.

I would really like a new 6 lane bridge. But the roads in New West need major improvement. They need the NFPR.

Which is why at this moment I sort of favor the Coquitlam-Surrey bridge. It would offer a direct connection between Hwy 1 and the SFPR and King Geroge, much like the GEB/GEW is a direct connection between Lougheed and Hwy 1 and Hwy 15/14. And it would still leave a 3 lane bridge behind to offer a direct town center to town center connection (Which could be replaced down the road if need be).

But a large new Pattullo could also offer direct connections to the region if the NFPR is built at the same time. It would be a more central connection and alleviate problems existing in New West, but only with improved roads, which at this point they are not committing to. It's taken 25 years to remove a traffic light on the freeway, who knows how long it would take to build a major road.
Talk to New West then. They're the block when it comes to any major infrastructure improvement on that side of the river. They have declared the stance that they oppose any road expansion anywhere in their borders. That's what you're fighting against.

As for the notion they don't have enough information, that's a load of bull. They may not agree with that information or the information regarding the Patullo, but to say they are missing pieces is a crock. I have seen what kind of information the cities and council receive directly or through Metro Vancouver, and while this engineer may not have all the pieces, New Westminster knows what is going on. They have the reports, the studies, the information.

As I said they simply have a "no road expansion" stance so anything be it NFPR, Patullo bridge, Braid Street Bridge, or Columbia Street @ Brunnette Ave expansion is a NO without any consideration of the facts or realities that their (and the entire region's) population is increasing so when your population increases and you expand _0_ roads, you will get more traffic.

You can't wave a wand at all the cars and yell "please go away!" and expect it to happen.

I still take the stance New West should get as much stance and say as their population percentage within the region. They have 13% of the population of Surrey so should get 13% of the say compared to Surrey. Heck they should get 50% the say of Coquitlam. This is a democracy where majority rules right?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
This is a democracy where majority rules right?
Yes, which is why the elected representatives of New Westminster get to decide their own policies...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:22 AM

What people here seem to forget and I have stressed same often - Translinks Major Road Network.

United Blvd., as part of the MRN, ends at Marmont St. in Coquitlam. Beyond that, UB and then Braid St. in NW are not part of the MRN. Ergo, NW had political and legal leverage to prevent the United Blvd. Extension.

Not so with the Pattullo Bridge replacement project. The Pattullo Bridge, Royal Oak Ave., McBride Blvd., and Brunette Ave. are all part of Translinks MRN. All municipalities were warned of the implications of same when these arterials became part of the MRN back in the late 1990s.

Once part of the MRN, local municipalities do not have much authority over same within their boundaries. In a legislative context, limits on municipal authority exist on same. Translink is only required to consult the municipality on the MRN within their jurisdiction. Does not matter whether the municipality agrees with Translinks intentions on the MRN or not.

All roads that are part of the MRN are now part of the regions road network.

IOW, NW cannot impede a new 6-lane Pattullo Bridge (actually a 4-lane bridge with an add-on and a drop-off lane). So at the end of the day, after all of the political theatrics are over, I strongly suspect that the new 6-lane Pattullo Bridge option will be chosen.

As an aside, the same principles are also extant regarding the viaducts in Van City.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 1:46 AM

Pattullo Bridge was the only bridge in whole Lower Mainland I had not yet crossed, but today I made it over - yay! These are familiar views for many, but I am posting them here just out of fun.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 8:56 AM

I haven't been over the bridge in years. It looks so old, rusty, and in disrepair. Does not look safe at all.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Yes, which is why the elected representatives of New Westminster get to decide their own policies...
Only when it doesn't impact the region as a whole. They are a part of Metro Vancouver and Translink is the authority over our major road network. At the end of the day, they can be consulted but they don't have much say.

Just like Highway 1 goes straight through Burnaby but Burnaby has no actual say on what is done with the highway. Highway 91 goes straight through Delta and Richmond, but they have absolutely no say on what the MOT decides. Same with Patullo. New West can voice their opinion but ultimately have no say. Translink does. And that goes for any other connectors as part of their network.

As it should be. When it comes to the region, majority rules. New West gets a voice, but protectionist BS just hurts the entire region. New West isn't an isolated little island that can ignore their place within the region.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 6:36 PM
Dahvie Fan

What a terrible bridge

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Only when it doesn't impact the region as a whole. They are a part of Metro Vancouver and Translink is the authority over our major road network. At the end of the day, they can be consulted but they don't have much say.

Just like Highway 1 goes straight through Burnaby but Burnaby has no actual say on what is done with the highway. Highway 91 goes straight through Delta and Richmond, but they have absolutely no say on what the MOT decides. Same with Patullo. New West can voice their opinion but ultimately have no say. Translink does. And that goes for any other connectors as part of their network.

As it should be. When it comes to the region, majority rules. New West gets a voice, but protectionist BS just hurts the entire region. New West isn't an isolated little island that can ignore their place within the region.
Maybe the residents of New West can move to Anmore if they want their own little secluded piece?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
What a terrible bridge
I wouldn't call it a terrible bridge. I was built in 1936-37 so it's served it's purpose but is definitely at the end of its lifespan and obsolete in terms of current standards and needs. The structure looks very poorly maintained, but the roadway looks fine, although not up to today's safety standards.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I wouldn't call it a terrible bridge. I was built in 1936-37 so it's served it's purpose but is definitely at the end of its lifespan and obsolete in terms of current standards and needs. The structure looks very poorly maintained, but the roadway looks fine, although not up to today's safety standards.
I always thought that if they're dismantling the old Port Mann bridge, why not salvage its materials and use it to augment or replace the existing Patullo bridge similar to the technique used when the Lions Gate bridge deck was replaced? I know seems in theory like a good idea but practically speaking it may not be cost efficient versus paying the extra dough for full replacement.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 1:55 AM

One of the biggest issues with the Pattullo is the piers, scouring from the water over decades. From what I know, that's the biggest concern, although the structure (framing) isn't that great either.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 3:49 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't see how they would be able to conclude that rebuilding/refurbishing the bridge is possible without extreme cost and uncertain results.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 5:29 PM

So is the bridge totally shut down? News 1130 was saying that it was single lane alternating traffic, but...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
So is the bridge totally shut down? News 1130 was saying that it was single lane alternating traffic, but...
It is closed until Monday morning due to surface repairs.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I always thought that if they're dismantling the old Port Mann bridge, why not salvage its materials and use it to augment or replace the existing Patullo bridge similar to the technique used when the Lions Gate bridge deck was replaced? I know seems in theory like a good idea but practically speaking it may not be cost efficient versus paying the extra dough for full replacement.
Why not write to Translink about your suggestion? Rebuild a recycled Port Mann for the proposed Coquitlam-Surrey connector. A couple hundred million saved would held the beleageured agency.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:27 PM

After a lot of thought, I've come to the conclusion that the best solution to a new Patullo is to avoid New West altogether and bring the crossing into Coquitlam. Instead of curving to the west at the base of Johnson Hill, the route should continue north and cross over to United Blvd. and the King Edward overpass.

Easy access to Highway 1 and the Lougheed from there. That should get a lot of vehicles off of New West's streets during rush hour.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 6:05 AM
loafing in lotusland

That's one of the proposals. A sapperton bar bridge. Patullo would be reduced to 3 lanes.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Maybe the residents of New West can move to Anmore if they want their own little secluded piece?
Heh, ten years from now:

"Bring back the David-Pathan Connector and Highway!"

"Build the bridge, promised in the early 70's, to connect North Vancouver with Anmore and Port Moody"

"4-lane highway from North Vancouver / Highway 1 all the way to Mission."

heh, jk.
Sure wish I could find a little more planning information on this never-to-be-built project, but I guess it just too old.

As for the Patullo replacement... I'm starting to warm up to the Sapperton Bar bridge concept. It best ties into the future Blue Mountain / United Boulevard Interchange concept (replacement for Brunette Avenue Interchange).
That could easily be a $100M interchange, given the various movements that would have to be incorporated... so might as well make it count and tie it into the new Patullo replacement. Is it really a big deal if the current King George Highway / Kingsway route gets severed? This option could be built to completely avoid that Braid Street residential area (where apparently 100% of the residents are apparently very vocal and resolute about their stance on this issue)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure