HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 3:17 PM

I found out some stuff about past Hamilton Famous Players cinemas.

I was doing some Wayback Archive crawling, and stumbled across info about 3 former or now-gone Famous Players cinemas here.

The 3 locations are the current Empire Theatres location downtown, soon to be Landmark Cinemas, and the former Lime Ridge Mall and Fiesta Mall cinemas.

It consists of auditorium count and seat count, as well as the former phone numbers and addresses. The phone no.'s likely don't work anymore, so no need to call them.

The info is thus:

Lime Ridge Reel Deal Famous Players
999 Upper Wentworth
Hamilton, ON, L9A-4X5

4 screens, 1,000 seats.
Seats per auditorium: 364, 224, 212, 200
Phone No. (905)388-5519

Jackson Square Famous Players
2 King St. West
Hamilton, ON, L8P-1A1

6 screens, 1,855 seats
Seats per auditorium: 505, 366, 282, 282, 218, 202
Phone No. (905)526-8132

Fiesta Mall
102 Hwy. 8
Stoney Creek, ON, L8G-4H3

4 screens, 914 seats
Seats per auditorium: 240, 232, 221, 221
Phone No. (905)662-1687

Crazy what you can find on the Wayback Machine.

=)

And for a former Famous Players cinema I once knew, which is being torn down now, it info went like this.

Paramount Saint John
King Square North
Saint John, NB, E2L-1E6

2 screens, 1,040 seats
Seats per auditorium: 586, 484

Does any of this info conjure up memories of your cinematic pasts?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 4:41 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Tivoli

The Tivoli was once a Famous Players Cinema too. Around 1988-1990. I used to work there and at Jackson both before and after the reno. It was only two theatres originally.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 5:28 PM
Hammer'd

As was the Century until about the same time.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 12:08 PM

I lived in what would be centre-east of downtown back in the late 80s/early 90s and we would go to the Centre Mall or Jackson Square for movies. I can't remember when Centre Mall closed the theatres, but if there was a long line like Tuesdays you lined up to the back of the building with the garbage.
Whenever I think about the Jackson Square theatres I think of the first Batman with Michael Keaton in 1989. The line went to the Club Monaco (I think it is a big Roots now). I knew a few girls that worked there too.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 1:47 PM

Is the Jackson Square theatre still there? If not, I wonder what the space is currently.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msakalau View Post
Is the Jackson Square theatre still there? If not, I wonder what the space is currently.
Google is your friend.

https://www.empiretheatres.com/movie...times/today/92

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 6:10 PM

With all the upgrades at Jackson Square I think the time is right for a modern movie theatre with stadium seating.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
With all the upgrades at Jackson Square I think the time is right for a modern movie theatre with stadium seating.
I agree, only I don't think there is the height required on the existing theatres to allow for stadium seating. It would require a lot of capital investment, and Empire is focusing more on its core food services business and is moving away from being involved in the movie theatre business.

If stadium seating would come to the lower city, I would expect Cineplex would build a new facility from scratch, possibly a standalone site at the north-west corner of the Centre on Barton property.

As an aside, it looks like The Brick will be locating to the spot just west of Michaels at the Centre on Barton shortly.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Yeah I'm amazed that apart from Jackson, the other two theaters are pretty inaccessible except by car. With driving rates for young people down significantly, I'm surprised another more accessible theater hasn't opened.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:11 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Yeah I'm amazed that apart from Jackson, the other two theaters are pretty inaccessible except by car. With driving rates for young people down significantly, I'm surprised another more accessible theater hasn't opened.
The one in Ancaster and the one on the East Mountain are both served by bus routes. Not as easy to get to as downtown but it's still fairly reasonable... just a long ride out of the city either way.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
As an aside, it looks like The Brick will be locating to the spot just west of Michaels at the Centre on Barton shortly.
Already open.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation