HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:39 PM

To one of our South Bay posters - is SJ looking at altering the traffic flow on St. James or Julian? Converting one or both to two way? I'm a little confused on how traffic is going to work after taking out that stretch of Julian.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 6:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm not a South Bay poster, but that's why I was thinking St James would be made 2-way for a block or two. That would allow traffic coming west on Julian to take San Pedro or Market over to St James and continue west.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 7:23 PM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
To one of our South Bay posters - is SJ looking at altering the traffic flow on St. James or Julian? Converting one or both to two way? I'm a little confused on how traffic is going to work after taking out that stretch of Julian.
I dunno if this helps--from the article a few posts up:
Quote:
Work on the street grid could take six months to a year, said Black, the city's consultant. He predicted the impact on traffic will be minimal, as workers will widen St. James St. before shutting Julian.
Also, this may help visualize the plan(be sure to click on 1 & 2):
San Pedro Square Master Plan - from JRDV Architects

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 7:53 PM

^It sounds like pg is probably right. If they're widening St. James, I would assume that's to convert it to two-way.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:29 AM
Earthling

BTW, here's one of the high-rises planned for the general area: The Carlysle

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/...090c711034.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not the usual tan/beige motif associated with Swenson buildings--it's a step in the right direction(away from boring), is what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by leftopolis; Jul 14, 2009 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:24 AM
Earthling

A couple of SJC construction pics....

...a bit dated, from May--but I friend just flew in who travels here a couple times/year, and said he was impressed with the changes:
http://www.sjc.org/about/improve/upd...%203AE_JPG.jpg

http://www.sjc.org/about/improve/upd.../termB_jpg.jpg

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 4:06 PM
Only Mostly Dead

The Carlysle will be pretty close to the new condos behind the De Anza (I forget the name), correct? How are those selling?

Love the airport pix! I was reading an article about the new terminal and it sounds nice. The article only had one rendering from an extreme angle and it frankly didn't look that great. But from these shots, I'm much happier with how it's shaping up. Is that a parking garage to the left in the first shot?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
The Carlysle will be pretty close to the new condos behind the De Anza (I forget the name), correct? How are those selling?

Love the airport pix! I was reading an article about the new terminal and it sounds nice. The article only had one rendering from an extreme angle and it frankly didn't look that great. But from these shots, I'm much happier with how it's shaping up. Is that a parking garage to the left in the first shot?
Close, that is the new rental car terminal. the old one was a bus ride away. Now it will be connected/across the street from the main terminal.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 6:08 PM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post

The Carlysle will be on Notre Dame. City Hights is the new high-rise in that part of town and it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb at the moment. Not sure if that's the one you're thinking of, but in general, recent condo sales in DT have not been stellar. On the other hand, they've matched what can be expected, based on the general slowness of real estate in all categories.

Here's a new SJC airport article(including a couple of good pics):
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...e-Airport.html

Finally, one more bit of info...I believe it's scheculed for across the srtreet from The Carlysle:A "Little Italy San Jose" Cultural Center!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 7:22 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks rocketman and leftopolis.

Actually, Axis is the one I was thinking about and it's on the opposite corner of Notre Dame and Carlysle according to this post from Yakumoto.

Wow, the interior of the airport looks really nice. I have to admit I'll miss the old terminal though. It was like a walk back through time.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 7:37 PM
BANNED

More on the San Jose Airport:

Source both: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...course.php?o=1

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 11:27 PM
Of Heart's Delight

- The Carlysle is not one of the "three" residential towers planned for North San Pedro. It is from the same developer, though.

- From my understanding, Julian and St James will become two-way entirely. This would constitute changes all the way back to 17th Street.

- Aforementioned Italian Cultural Center won't be in the new Little Italy revival, which is in the historic district over by Henry's Hi-Life (former Torino Hotel). It will be right across from the Carlysle, though, a location which I happen to like better:

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:16 AM
Earthling

More Carlysle Renders from:
http://www.barryswensonbuilder.com/p...rlysle/photos/

I haven't found anything yet on the site about the "3 high-rises" mentioned in The Merc article, but they are also swenson projects.

krudmonk: Thanks for the clarification wrt "Little Italy" location and the cultural center--I just assumed they'd be more or less adjacent.

Anyway, I'm glad development hasn't come to a complete standstill and that solid proposals are coming forth. BTW, I drove by the edge of DT the other day on 280, and 360 residences looked sweet from that angle!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 3:56 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
krudmonk: Thanks for the clarification wrt "Little Italy" location and the cultural center--I just assumed they'd be more or less adjacent.
They will be fairly close still and the video on the site discusses how they hope to link the two areas under 87.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, July 24, 2009
Developer closes in on Oakland project
San Francisco Business Times - by Eric Young

A joint venture that includes developer Phil Tagami moved closer to its goal of building on 168 acres of the former Army base near the Oakland port.

The Port of Oakland this week voted to start a six month negotiating period with California Capital Group, led by longtime Oakland developer Tagami, and AMB Property Corp. of San Francisco.

That group also is competing to develop about 130 acres of the former Army base owned by the city of Oakland. The Oakland City Council is expected to select a development team July 28.

The two parcels are being bid separately because the Army divided the property when it turned it over to the city and the port seven years ago. The combined 298 acres are south of the Bay Bridge near the Port of Oakland. The U-shaped property was part of the Oakland Army base until 1999.

The port commission development brings the AMB-California Capital vision of a logistics, office and transportation hub into sharper focus. The project could employ thousands of people and help the Port of Oakland expand its business.

The Port Commissioners selected AMB-California Capital over two other applicants who submitted proposals for the design and construction of port-related facilities at the former base. The team got high marks from a selection committee because of AMB’s development experience at ports like Hamberg, Rotterdam, Osaka and Savannah, Ga. The selection committee cited California Capital’s experience developing Oakland’s historic Fox Theater and historic Rotunda as reasons for favoring that group.

Representatives for AMB and California Capital declined comment.

The Port of Oakland gave its hopes for development of its portion of the land a boost a few months ago. At that time, the port decided to give a developer a few years to take over operation of the land — rather than immediately as was originally envisioned.

A number of developers interested in the land balked at taking immediate control of the land because of the recession and drop in container traffic at the port.

Any developer that wins rights to the former Army base land will face millions of dollars in cleanup and infrastructure costs. For its part, the Oakland port can tap up to $285 million in state bond money to improve infrastructure on the land as long as development begins by 2013.

eyoung@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4969
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...27/story6.html

As senility sets in, I can't recall for sure, but isn't Phil Tagami the guy who still owns the 1st & Mission site with the Renzo Piano design?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 9:37 AM
Earthling

Midtown SJ Residential/Retail Project: 3 buildings 160 feet, 14 stories

It's nice to see some hight/decent density coming to non-downtown/TOD neighborhoods...the only bummer is the wait--they are looking to start it at the end of 2010!

mercurynews.com - Developers seek maximum height in housing project on West San Carlos

Quote:
Despite some neighbors' concerns about traffic and parking problems around West San Carlos and Sunol Streets, the developers of a proposed housing project there are moving forward with plans to build three 14-story housing complexes with shops on the ground floor.
On July 7, Green Republic LLLP released eight pages of answers to residents' questions about the development known as the Ohlone Mixed Use Project. In meetings in the spring in the Rose Garden and Willow Glen areas, neighbors asked about many issues, including its proximity to a light-rail station and details about a new park to be built near the site. The project is billed as a transit-oriented development.
Michael Van Every, a spokesman for Green Republic, said in an interview this month the firm wants to construct three buildings up to 160 feet, or roughly 14 stories, and it has applied for amendments to the city's General Plan 2020 and Midtown Specific Plan.
"We're going to maximize density at every chance," Van Every said. "We've made mistakes downtown, and now we have four-story buildings where there should have been 20-story buildings. We're not going to make those same mistakes ... and that's not just me saying that, that's the [San Jose] director of planning saying it. San Jose is going to grow.
Do we want to build in Almaden or Coyote Valley, or do we want to build in urban locations?" Van Every asked....cont'd at link above...
http://www.greenrepublicsj.com/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 6:21 PM

It'd be nice if VTA would drop their fascination with all things BART and put light rail on San Carlos/Stevens Creek (I think it's technically still in their long-term plans, though those plans have been gutted with pretty much every VTA penny being plowed into BART). That entire corridor would have excellent initial ridership and is just about as prime as you can get for morphing into a medium to high density corridor relatively quickly.

I like the idea of the infill light rail station near the development. I was always a little confused as to why one wasn't originally built near San Carlos to link up with the bus lines. Seems like an obvious spot for a station.

Regardless, I very much like this development and hope it moves forward on schedule (end of 2010 is awhile yet, but still).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 9:54 PM
Earthling

^I agree wrt light-rail up San Carlos/Stevens Creek, and i believe it is still a long range goal. That whole corridor is more or less designated a TOD-type-density area. In fact, the line ought to go all the way to De Anza College in Cupertino--which has it's own downtown along that route. It would also tie in DTSJ, The Shark Tank, and Santana Row area(which does include alot of residential. There's also a potential A's ballpark in that midtown area, although that's kind of big question mark still.

BART's certainly important--although if it's at the cost of sooner L-R expansion as you say, that's too bad. It's been in the works for decades(BART), and it would be a shame to drop the ball on that when it's finally within site. L-R certainly becomes more attractive and viable once there's density.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 1:54 AM
I enjoy discussing issues

San Jose engaging in road straightening, lest our transportation infrastructure become homosexual...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 8:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Didn't Yakumoto post photos of this area in his TODs of San Jose thread? From today's Mercury News:

Quote:

Plans for 15-story towers a key step in San Jose push to move high-rises beyond downtown
By Denis C. Theriault
Posted: 08/25/2009 12:00:00 AM PDT

What would San Jose look like if gleaming high-rises suddenly sprouted all across the city?

A proposal that would place three 15-story towers, plus traditional townhouses and storefronts, on San Carlos Street just west of downtown could provide some early answers.

Shovels are still a few years from hitting the ground. But already, planners say, the Ohlone mixed-use project has become a test case for an evolving effort to spread dense residential development along San Jose's public-transit corridors.

And the development has added to the debate about the future character of a city that's traditionally embraced tract housing, smaller condo projects and scattered bungalows.

"It's the first," said Joe Horwedel, San Jose's planning director. While there have been a small number of high-rises outside downtown and other "villages" combining housing and retail, such as Santana Row, no projects besides Ohlone have emerged that offer that mix of diversity and density — and certainly none near a transit line.

"There are things in this project we'll see elsewhere," Horwedel said.

Right now, the site — formerly the Valley Transportation Authority's bus lot — is another mostly empty expanse in a gritty, industrial part of town.

But the local developers pushing the project, Michael Van Every and Barry Swenson, see something else when they survey the 8.25-acre parcel spreading southwest from San Carlos and Sunol streets: a new neighborhood.

All around the towers, they envision shops and restaurants, live/work lofts and hundreds of commuters hustling toward a new light-rail station just across Sunol.

The ambitious, $300 million development took another step forward Monday when the city's planning department released a preliminary report highlighting its impact on neighbors. Among the concerns — traffic.

Already, because of its size and scope, the development has attracted a fair amount of questions.

"My fear is we're going to have this extremely high-density project with very little commercial space," said Terri Balandra, a nearby resident who has kept close tabs on the project. "It's not that we're against high-density; we want it done really well."
So-called "infill" development, especially tied to bus and train lines, has been increasingly embraced around the Bay Area and nationwide. But it amounts to a dramatic shift for San Jose, which for years encouraged the construction of single-family homes.

Only in the past decade has the city added significant high-rise housing downtown and laid the groundwork for growth in places like North San Jose.

The Ohlone site is located just west of Highway 87 in Midtown, which has been among the neighborhoods on the vanguard of that change. Home to the Diridon train station and close to The Alameda and a light-rail line, the area has seen hundreds of new low-rise condos and townhomes constructed in recent years. It's also where San Jose hopes to one day erect a baseball stadium.

That growth has left some neighbors, like Balandra, wary. She says many of those developments, notably along San Carlos Street, have brought in plenty of people but not enough of the other amenities that make up a neighborhood.

Van Every, however, said such amenities are precisely his goal — lending a touch of what he called "lifestyle."

The developers say they will contribute $1 million toward a new light-rail station near Auzerais and Sunol streets and transit passes for new residents. The project will add a four-acre park off Auzerais, plus plazas within the development. And Van Every envisions lively storefronts in new retail space along San Carlos.

"A lot of the concerns are the fear of the unknown," said Van Every, who's met with several neighborhood groups to discuss the project. "'What will San Jose look like in 25 years, and will my home still be as nice tomorrow?'"

There are plenty of neighbors looking forward to the towers — even to the crush of people they promise to bring.

"Right now, we don't even have sidewalks in front of that area, much less lighting and landscaping," said Norma Ruiz, a neighborhood activist who lives near the site. "But the biggest thing I'll be advocating for is the light-rail station."

Van Every still has hurdles beyond the environmental report. He and his partners will have to wait out the tough economy; they don't plan to break ground until 2011, with construction on the towers and other units expected in phases.

They also need city permission to exceed Midtown's 90-foot height limit.

Although height hasn't been too much of a lightning rod for the Ohlone project's neighbors — all but a handful of whom live a third of a mile away — it could become an issue for other so-called transit villages. Horwedel said the issue bears close study as planners and city leaders examine which areas to focus on.

Whereas he said an eight-story building might not look out of place near the dense intersection of Capitol Avenue and McKee Road, for instance, one would stick out starkly less than a mile away at Capitol and Mabury Road.

Even as San Jose changes, Horwedel said, the reality is most of the city's housing stock is still made up of bungalows and ranch homes.

"We don't need to go and build 10-story, 20-story buildings everywhere" he said. "We want to be very clear about where the growth is going to happen — and more importantly, where it's not going to happen."
160' isn't giant or anything, but for this part of town it's a big step up. And who can argue with the idea of more density near transit? (That's rhetorical. We all know lots of people can argue with anything.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations