HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 5:13 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

^ wow that's a lot of things to do! Children will love shopping on Locke St, The Childrens' Museum is good for 5 and under. And the Farmers' Market? Can't wait to tell my sons that's where we're going, they'll be so excited.

That is the lamest list. Does this guy have children?

Me, I'll go to free westdale aviary and on the trails behind it. RBG, the trail where you can feed the wild birds from your hand and smell spring thawing. Sugar Bush. See Alice in Wonderland at Movie Palace. Then play soccer at the mountain brow park. Feed squirrels and ride bikes in Gage Park. Basically I'll just play with them, throw a ball and play pirates, that's what kids want to do.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 3:44 AM

maybe the marine discovery centre coupled with the haida could replace childrens museum - the centres a little less dated and more interactive, plus kids would dig crawling around the ship for atleast an hour.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
^ wow that's a lot of things to do! Children will love shopping on Locke St, The Childrens' Museum is good for 5 and under. And the Farmers' Market? Can't wait to tell my sons that's where we're going, they'll be so excited.

That is the lamest list. Does this guy have children?

Me, I'll go to free westdale aviary and on the trails behind it. RBG, the trail where you can feed the wild birds from your hand and smell spring thawing. Sugar Bush. See Alice in Wonderland at Movie Palace. Then play soccer at the mountain brow park. Feed squirrels and ride bikes in Gage Park. Basically I'll just play with them, throw a ball and play pirates, that's what kids want to do.
I dunno my younger brother liked going to the farmer's market with my dad...

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 1:55 AM

I also have very fond memories of going there as kid with my parents.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 9:19 PM

"The Great Canadian City"

Worth clicking if only for the sidebarred Hamilton 125 time capsule.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 3:50 AM

that's amazing. 1:17:9: "who else but a brash and bold community, such as Hamilton, would level one half of the centre of its city."

I'd say it's time for a 165 year version of this complete with a proper tarring of the memories of Lloyd Jackson and Vic Copps.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:16 PM
Concerned Citizen

Not sure where to post this so I will revive this thread.

Hamilton picked by Readers Digest as one of the top six places to visit in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...rs-digest.html

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Not sure where to post this so I will revive this thread.

Hamilton picked by Readers Digest as one of the top six places to visit in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...rs-digest.html
Wow, the top six includes Manotick. I live near Manotick and can't think of a single reason why anyone would visit Manotick. It doesn't even merit a phototour.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 7:53 PM

Manotick does have Hollerado though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYy0EsC8TM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:28 PM

I don't understand the need to trivialize the report. From what i understand, Halifax and Kitchener were also on the list with Hamilton.

Lets embrace media that promotes our city as a tourist destination.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 11:02 PM

"Get a glimpse into real life across the country with these hometown favourites from Reader's Digest travel writers."

http://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/my-hometown

Travel writers wrote about their hometowns. The editor selected an assortment of features. One of those chosen was written by twentysomething Yuki Hayashi, a Hamiltonian who apparently works as deputy editor at Tourism Toronto's magazine. Nice to have positive press but it's not a formal or objective ranking.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:50 PM

A handful of GHA festivals and events have been awarded Celebrate Ontario funding through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. They are:

2013 Art Gallery of Hamilton World Arts Festival / Apr 29-Oct 25, 2013 / $75,000

Hamilton War of 1812 Bicentennial (Re-enactment and Canadian International Military Tattoo) / May 31-June 9, 2013 / $75,000

Burlington Sound of Music Festival / June 14-17, 2013 / $211,000

Supercrawl / Sept 13-15, 2013 / $75,000

Royal Botanical Gardens' Holiday Traditions / Nov 14, 2013-Jan 5, 2014 / $75,000

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 8:25 AM
Ham-burgher

Hamilton: The 'armpit of Ontario' a travel-worthy destination
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/45...y-destination/

Goodbye 'Armpit of Ontario,' hello 'City of Waterfalls.'

That's how MSN Travel describes Hamilton on its list of Canada's Top 10 most underrated travel destinations – a roster that also includes Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump in Alberta and Iqaluit, the capital of Nunavut.

Hamilton is among locales that will never be as famous as some of Canada's top-rated international destinations, MSN says.

"But for every Banff, Niagara Falls and Green Gables out there, you'll find dozens of fame-worthy locales that get overlooked by travellers because they are isolated, inaccessible or overshadowed by big-name neighbours."

It says that Hamilton "is in the midst of a serious resurgence . . . The harbourfront has been cleaned up and revitalized, the arts scene has been bolstered by a surge in TV and film production."

And – as so many visitors already know – those waterfalls are incredibly enticing.

See the full list here.

The Hamilton Spectator

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 3:05 PM

From MSN.com: “And those waterfalls? More than 100 litter the Hamilton area, ranging from the 30-metre-tall curtain of water at Webster's Falls (pictured) to the 41-metre drop at Tew's Falls”

Welcome nod, but that suggests Hamilton has 100+ waterfalls ranging in height from 30m to 41m. AFAIK, the city contains <10 waterfalls of 20m+, three of which are in the 30m-41m range: Webster’s, Devil's Punch Bowl and Tews.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
From MSN.com: “And those waterfalls? More than 100 litter the Hamilton area, ranging from the 30-metre-tall curtain of water at Webster's Falls (pictured) to the 41-metre drop at Tew's Falls”
Litter has a bit of a negative connotation and I'm not sure it's particularly appropriate > strange choice of words.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 6:53 AM
Ham-burgher

A better write-up would have used a water-related phrasing. "Hamilton is gushing with more than 100 waterfalls...", "A cascade of waterfalls flow through Hamilton...", "The city is teeming...", "Hamilton is flush..." (ok, maybe that one is not so great )

Still, this is good publicity.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 1:57 PM

^Well done.

Much better than Hamilton is rife with parks and littered with waterfalls. Oh yeah, and it's lousy with restaurants, too...

Thanks MSN.com

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 5:10 PM

I'm so tired of hearing about these waterfalls. If you live here it's nice to go for a walk on the weekend and maybe see one in passing, but anybody who travels to Hamilton to see them will be seriously disappointed. I wish the waterfall campaign people would give it up. Hamilton has much more to offer to tourists.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
I'm so tired of hearing about these waterfalls. If you live here it's nice to go for a walk on the weekend and maybe see one in passing, but anybody who travels to Hamilton to see them will be seriously disappointed. I wish the waterfall campaign people would give it up. Hamilton has much more to offer to tourists.
Agreed on the waterfalls --- particularly given that some of the most famous/impressive waterfalls on the planet are less than an hour away.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:53 PM

Last week, I was listening to the woman that is running Tourism Hamilton (I forget her name) on The Scott Thompson Show. She stated that the "Waterfall" brochure is the most requested one they have. She is ordering more as they have run out quickly of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation