HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 7:01 PM

Good job Arizona, you piece of shit state.

Fucking fantastic in this economic climate.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 7:16 PM

You must not have read the AP story they ran in the Republic yesterday. Most Americans support the law. The only boycotts are coming from the typical political sources. We've lost some liberal business, extreme hispanic political business and businesses originating out of Mexico. Other than that I think the economic impact will be very small. You need serious opposition for an effective boycott and that simply doesn't exist anywhere outside of the illegal immigrant community.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbyrd View Post
You must not have read the AP story they ran in the Republic yesterday. Most Americans support the law. The only boycotts are coming from the typical political sources. We've lost some liberal business, extreme hispanic political business and businesses originating out of Mexico. Other than that I think the economic impact will be very small. You need serious opposition for an effective boycott and that simply doesn't exist anywhere outside of the illegal immigrant community.
I didn't read the piece but I did read something that said we have lost 23 conventions thus far.

It may be from political or immigration related sources, but at this point in time, any business would be good business, not the opposite.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 7:25 PM

I'd like a list of those conventions.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:19 PM

The ABA convention here nearly got cancelled, and 350 of the 800 attendees (mostly attorneys) cancelled. Each cancellation represents a loss of anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars in revenue.

http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-fee...-93687474.html

Economic death from a thousand cuts.

Just because a poll says that most Americans support this bill doesn't make it right. At the end of the 19th century, a majority of Americans felt that women should not vote. A majority of Americans opposed desegregation in 1957, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Brown v. The Board of Education that separate is NOT equal. That was a very unpopular decision at the time. In 1967, a majority of Americans supported laws that prevented blacks and whites from marrying, until again the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Loving v. Virginia that these anti-miscegenation laws were unconstitutional. In 2003, a majority of Americans supported anti-sodomy laws, but once again the U.S. Supreme Court dragged a majority of ignorant knuckle-dragging Americans into the future by declaring in Lawrence v. Texas that intimate consensual sexual conduct was part of the liberty protected by substantive due process under the Fourteenth Amendment, thus outlawing numerous other state's anti-sodomy laws. In fact, I suspect even to this day, a "majority" of Americans may not support the Lawrence decision.

In 1825, Alexis de Tocqueville visited the United States and commented on our great experiment with democracy. His biggest concern? He was concerned about a "tyranny of the majority," where minorities would be denied equal rights just because they were too few in number to sway the majority's opinions. Any time you have civil rights decided by a mass vote, you run the risk of having a tyranny of the majority. Especially in the area of civil rights, he was largely correct, and it has largely fallen the courts, not the executive or legislative branches, or the people, to secure these basic civil rights for all of us.

Always remember the lessons of the past. For example, the German people voted Hitler and the Nazi party into power. The rest, as they say, is history.

--don

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:31 PM
BANNED

It's too bad all these innocent bystanders (business owners and their employees) are being hurt by a combination of this law and people's desire to inflict harm on the state's economy.

Neither the politicians locally enacting the law, nor the politicians out of state calling for boycotts should be considered innocent.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
Just because a poll says that most Americans support this bill doesn't make it right.
The majority of American's are stupid retards (not just retards) so I'm not going to say something is right just because the majority says so. A majority of American's also eat at (and like) McDonald's too.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 9:13 PM

I am honestly amazed that more people care about the rights of Mexicans than of homosexuals.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Neither the politicians locally enacting the law, nor the politicians out of state calling for boycotts should be considered innocent.
Very, very true. IMO, the boycotts are misguided as hell. "We support the latino community of Arizona, but let's boycott and cause them to lose business."

I think we as people should boycott politics. What do our elected officials really do besides ignorantly support their party lines or selfishly work for their next potential re-election?

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
I am honestly amazed that more people care about the rights of Mexicans than of homosexuals.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:05 AM
BANNED

If fox is reporting it, it must not be slanted. I prefer to get my info from unbiased media.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If fox is reporting it, it must not be slanted. I prefer to get my info from unbiased media.
How do you argue with quotes? I'd point them back out to you but our Napoleon-complex moderator has apparently decided news articles ought to be censored. At least... ones he doesn't like.

John, if you think the other news sources aren't slanted, you're as naive as naive comes.

Feel feel to research on your own. Despite repeatedly voicing concerns about our new immigration enforcement law in recent weeks and threatening to challenge it, Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday he has not yet read the law.

FACT.

Last edited by PHX NATIVE 929; May 14, 2010 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Is Politico.com "fair" enough for you?...

Holder hasn't read Ariz. immigration bill

by Josh Gerstein

In television interviews over the weekend, Attorney General Eric Holder warned that Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law could lead to racial profiling and might prompt Latinos to stop cooperating with police. However, it emerged at a House hearing Thursday that Holder hasn't actually read the statute.

"I have not had a chance to. I've glanced at it. I have not read it," Holder acknowledged in response to questions from Rep. Ted Poe (R-Texas).

"It's ten pages. It's a lot shorter than the health care bill, which was 2,000 pages long. I'll give you my copy of it, if you would like to -- to have a copy," Poe quipped during the House Judiciary Committee oversight hearing.

The Arizona law passed last month calls for checks on individuals' immigration status after any "lawful contact" with police if there is reasonable suspicion they're not legally in the country. President Barack Obama, Holder and other administration officials have expressed concern that the law could lead to Americans of Hispanic descent being stopped by police. Latino groups are organizing boycotts of the state.

"The concern I have about the law that they have passed is that I think it has the possibility of leading to racial profiling and putting a wedge between law enforcement and a community that would, in fact, be profiled," Holder said Sunday on NBC's "Meet The Press." "People in that community are less likely then to cooperate with people in law enforcement, less likely to share information, less likely to be witnesses in a case that law enforcement is trying to solve."

Holder said Thursday he's asked a team of advisers from Justice and the Department of Homeland Security to review the law for him. He said he expects to issue a pronouncement on the Arizona law "relatively soon."

Link: http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshge...tion_bill.html

Last edited by PHX NATIVE 929; May 14, 2010 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Pathetic...

When asked by Rep.Ted Poe, R-Texas, how he could have constitutional concerns about a law he has not read, Holder said: "Well, what I've said is that I've not made up my mind. I've only made the comments that I've made on the basis of things that I've been able to glean by reading newspaper accounts, obviously, television, talking to people who are on the review panel...looking at the law."

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Politico.com i will accept. To be honest i didnt read it before. I dont read anything from fox or cnbc.

Napoleon complex lmao.

I told them the should have made me a moderator instead of him but nobody listened.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 1:58 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX NATIVE 929 View Post
Is Politico.com "fair" enough for you?...
Your post wasn't deleted because the news source was unfair, it was deleted because you posted the full article, did not include the author's name, or provide a link to the article. You still need to do that with the Politico article too.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 2:33 AM
BANNED

How about more FACTS, less OPINIONS

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...-law-poll.html

Quote:
Poll: Most in U.S. approve of Arizona immigration law

by Alia Beard Rau - May. 12, 2010 03:08 PM
The Arizona Republic

A new Pew Research Center poll indicated that 63 percent of people nationally support allowing police to question anyone they think may be in the country illegally, and 59 percent approve of Arizona's new illegal immigration law.

The new law, which goes into effect July 29, makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally and requires police to inquire about the immigration status of anyone they reasonably suspect to be in the country illegally.

The poll, which was released Wednesday, surveyed 994 adults nationally by phone between May 6 and May 9, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points. Of those polled, 662 were interviewed on a landline phone and 332 on a cell phone.

Of those polled:

73 percent indicated approval of "requiring people to produce documents verifying legal status."

67 percent indicated approval of "allowing police to detain anyone unable to verify legal status."

62 percent indicated approval of "allowing police to question anyone they think may be in the country illegally."

59 percent indicated approval of the new Arizona law.

Most of the Republicans polled indicated that they support the three provisions and the law itself. Most Democrats opposed the new law, were split on whether police should be allowed to question individuals thought to be in the country illegally and supported requiring people to produce documents and allowing police to detain individuals unable to verify legal status....

McClatchy-Ipsos poll

A strong majority of Americans support Arizona's controversial new immigration law and would back similar laws in their own states, a separate McClatchy-Ipsos poll found.

Sixty-one percent of Americans - and 64 percent of registered voters - said they favored the law in a survey of 1,016 adults conducted May 6-9.

Strikingly, nearly half of Democrats like the law, under which local law enforcement officers are tasked with verifying people's immigration status if they suspect them of being in the country illegally. While the Democratic Party generally is regarded as more sympathetic to illegal immigrants' plights, 46 percent of Democrats said they favored the law for Arizona and 49 percent said they'd favor the law's passage in their own states.

More than eight in 10 Republicans and 54 percent of independents favor the law.

In addition, about 69 percent of Americans said they wouldn't mind if police officers stopped them to ask for proof of their citizenship or legal rights to be in the country; about 29 percent would mind, considering it a violation of their rights; and about 3 percent were unsure.

Almost two-thirds of Americans said illegal immigration was a real problem that hurt the country; they were evenly split as to whether the jobs illegal immigrants take are ones that Americans don't want.

The McClatchy-Ipsos poll had an error margin of plus or minus 3.07 percentage points for all those surveyed and 3.26 percentage points for registered voters

Last edited by Leo the Dog; May 14, 2010 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The majority of American's are stupid retards (not just retards) so I'm not going to say something is right just because the majority says so. A majority of American's also eat at (and like) McDonald's too.
What exactly do you think of the minority in a debate? That they are wise, all-knowing, intellectuals? They know what's best so just ignore what everybody else wants/thinks?

Wouldn't that be a dictatorship or monarchy?

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:38 AM

It's a fact...

If you quote someone or use a statistic from a poll and then finish it by saying "FACT" then that makes it true.

FACT!

<see what I did there?>

Old Posted May 14, 2010, 3:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
What exactly do you think of the minority in a debate? That they are wise, all-knowing, intellectuals? They know what's best so just ignore what everybody else wants/thinks?

Wouldn't that be a dictatorship or monarchy?
No. I dont base it off minority v majority. I say only allow people with an IQ over 130 have a say in it. If only 130+ can vote, then ill go with the majority. There are juat too many moronic Americans with a say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest