HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:51 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

very cool how it matches the elevation.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:40 AM

Glad to see they sent in their official application documents in September 2017...still have access to the full OMB.
We really need a group like this and Brad Lamb to win at the OMB and blow away this ridiculous escarpment height limit stuff before it even gets started.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:57 AM

Here's all the renderings for anyone that doesn't want to search through all of the PDF files...

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

More:

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:43 AM
Ham-burgher

Given its location on the rise just below the escarpment, it's going to look massive when viewed from a vantage point like the top of Hwy 8 on the escarpment in Dundas.

It dwarfs the Olympia bigtime.

It will be interesting to hear the DeRP's opinion on this. Too tall? Well, it's on the slope... Doesn't fit the neighbourhood? Really, well what IS the neighbourhood character in that part of town? (Olympia, Oakland Square and a few other slabs, St. Joe's, Church of the Ascension...)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 2:34 PM

One thing that annoys me is when groups like this use these cheap, pixely renderings when trying to sell everyone on the merits of their project.
You can see a nice blue glass in the close-ups of the buildings, but the skyline shots are all grey, cartoony renderings.
I suspect this will look way better once we see real renderings.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:00 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

these (or at least the tallest one) should peak above the escarpment at Sam Lawrence even better than Olympia. Not many cities have the opportunity to view the tops of skyscrapers with a view like SL, Hamilton should be all for promoting that. Mt. Royal and Hong Kong are what comes to mind with an urban geography. Toronto would kill for what Hamont has and nothing is done about it. Toronto went so far as to make islands to have something.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:30 PM

I hope these don’t look as drab as Bella Tower.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:44 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Those are very thick towers.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

Lol Torontos islands are natural.

Honestly this just seems too big for its location. I'd rather this level of density be closer to the core.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:04 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Lol Torontos islands are natural.

Honestly this just seems too big for its location. I'd rather this level of density be closer to the core.
I think he may have been referring to Ontario place. The islands there were man made.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:05 PM

There's absolutely no way this ever gets approved. I love this development and think it's a great location, but the escarpment view blockage from this will be it's downfall.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
While I'd rather have it there than not have it at all, but I agree... I would prefer this closer to the core - for increased density there, and this location would look better with lower-rise buildings.

Dumb question, but why does the developer have a hard-on for this location? What makes this more ideal than something closer to the core with more amenities near by?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 7:33 PM

Likely because they own what exists , and the proximity to the hospital and almost every mountain bus route into downtown and the Go station goes right past the front door of the place.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:52 PM
Forever forward.

Yes please!

Reminds me of "Rain" in Oakville.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Likely because they own what exists , and the proximity to the hospital and almost every mountain bus route into downtown and the Go station goes right past the front door of the place.
All true, although my answer would simply be: "likely because this is the piece of property downtown that they own".

I can never quite understand people who suggest someone should build their development 5 blocks away as if land is just sitting there free.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 10:26 PM

I would be on board with the density with design improvements.

The three clone towers aren't working for me. There is no reason each building can't have a unique expression even if they're different phases of the same development. I'm noticing a lot of spandrel in the renders, which irks me because I hate punched window buildings masquerading as glass towers. The use of grey isn't doing anyone any favours either. Corktown has plenty of unique and beautiful materials to draw inspiration from (every colour of brick, stone, concrete, wood, etc)

Overall I think these buildings need to be pushed back from John St to give any retail at the base of this thing a chance of succeeding. Cars fly down John, and given the steep slope any form of patio will be nearly impossible without room for a grade adjustment or some terracing along the sidewalk.

Also are there plans to replace the rental units in the building which is being demolished? Are the people that live there currently being moved to other properties or is it tough luck?

Either way I think these need a lot of refinement.

Medallion Properties is building a massive rental complex in North Toronto called Casa Emery Village, and each building is given a different look that ensures the development doesn't seem to monotonous. I would like to see the same for this site. Note how each building is a little different, and the slope of the road is addressed with terracing down and the storefronts are set within a covered walkway to provide an extra layer of protection from the busy road. Though this is a more suburban example, I think there is a lot to take away from it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 1:06 AM

Hello,

I am not sure everyone in this discussion is aware of all the developments that are currently being planned for this very small area.

Corktown Plaza

Main and Walnut https://mainandwalnut.urbanshare.info/

Forest and Catharine https://forestcatharine.urbanshare.info/updates-news/

Augusta and Walnut. https://augustayoung.urbanshare.info/

Charlton and Wellington.

You may be saying Nimby, but how many development can one small neighbourhood sustain?

Joey Coleman, can you please comment?

Last edited by Loki123; Feb 11, 2018 at 1:13 AM. Reason: Add links

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki123 View Post
Hello,

I am not sure everyone in this discussion is aware of all the developments that are currently being planned for this very small area.

Corktown Plaza

Charlton and Wellington.

You may be saying Nimby, but how many development can one small neighbourhood sustain?

It can handle quite a bit, believe me. Also I wouldn't consider that Main and Walnut one in the main Corktown area at all.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:30 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki123 View Post
Hello,

Corktown Plaza

Charlton and Wellington.

Sorry, but it can sustain more than 6 developments. Our city is growing and we're finally starting to grow upwards rather than outwards and when a neighbourhood is in the downtown you can't pick and choose what height you want, it's dictated by the demand.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:56 AM

6 developments for a huge neighbourhood in the middle of downtown with a ton of empty parking lots, one storey plazas etc is nothing. It can handle dozens of developments.
These neighbourhood groups all trying to keep everyone out of their hoods unless they can afford (or choose to live in) ground level housing is the worst thing to happen to Hamilton in my lifetime.
Our lower city population is like 25,000 less people now than it was a few decades ago. In a properly growing city, it would be about 100,000 higher. Corktown, and the rest of downtown can handle tons of new development.
The alternative is suburban sprawl....and we've seen how well that works

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton