HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:23 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
In academia, “New Brunswick” means Rutgers.
Maybe it's because I lived in Halifax for a while but I'd automatically assume the University of New Brunswick not a university town by that name in another country. Rutgers University wouldn't ever cross my mind.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I'm almost 30 and have no idea who he is, so... maybe? I haven't been in a school (other than to vote) in over a decade now.
A mascot for teaching kids about accidents and safety. The mascot went to public schools and talked to them. I think it was popular in Ontario particularly but also in other provinces.

In some cases I think schools would opt to fly a flag with Elmer's image on it to show that they were accident free for some amount of time, as the flag would be taken down if anyone got into an accident.

Elmer the elephant as a safety campaign mascot, ran for many decades and became nostalgic childhood memory for many.

http://www.elmer.ca/elmers-story

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:01 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
A mascot for teaching kids about accidents and safety. The mascot went to public schools and talked to them. I think it was popular in Ontario particularly but also in other provinces.

In some cases I think schools would opt to fly a flag with Elmer's image on it to show that they were accident free for some amount of time, as the flag would be taken down if anyone got into an accident.

Elmer the elephant as a safety campaign mascot, ran for many decades and became nostalgic childhood memory for many.

http://www.elmer.ca/elmers-story
Elmer the Safety Elephant was one of my formative influences in life.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We can also have the French slogan on regular plates.

Here's the most common ones I've seen;

We have the option of any other Major League Ontario sports teams.
So how do you get the Senators logo?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post

https://www.ontario.ca/page/choose-l...phic#section-0

List of Graphic Plates

https://www.ontario.ca/page/choose-l...phic#section-9

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Maybe it's because I lived in Halifax for a while but I'd automatically assume the University of New Brunswick not a university town by that name in another country. Rutgers University wouldn't ever cross my mind.
Never understood why Rutgers was called Rutgers and not "New Jersey State University". I am sure there is a good reason though.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Ontario Star Trek plate I see every once in a while on our neighbours' vehicles across the river. Ottawa as a city has lots of geeks!

Never understood why Ontario has vanity plates for an American TV show... or for that matter why Canada Post issued Star Trek commemorative stamps. (Yes, I know Captain Kirk and Scotty were played by Canadians - before anyone says that.)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Drapeau Franco-Ontarien avec le slogan en francais
PEI believe it or not also offers the option of having the name of the province and slogan in French if you want it. I think Manitoba also offers the possibility of having the slogan in French - or was at least thinking of it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Never understood why Rutgers was called Rutgers and not "New Jersey State University". I am sure there is a good reason though.
Chartered in 1766 as all-male Queen’s College in New Brunswick, New Jersey, the school, affiliated with the Dutch Reformed Church, was renamed Rutgers College in 1825 in honor of trustee and Revolutionary War veteran Colonel Henry Rutgers.

https://www.rutgers.edu/about/history

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
PEI believe it or not also offers the option of having the name of the province and slogan in French if you want it. I think Manitoba also offers the possibility of having the slogan in French - or was at least thinking of it.
There are at least 15,000 Acadians on PEI, fully 10% of the population. They are scattered throughout the province but heavily concentrated just west of Summerside. In this part of the Island the everyday language of the community is French, not English.

When I was in practice in Summerside, I would do a weekly clinic up in Wellington, and 90% of the patients were Acadian.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Behold the splendor of Manitoba's bilingual plates. It took them like a decade to roll it out... the only difference it says 'bienvenue' at the bottom, and for some reason it uses an uglier font than the unilingual version.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There are at least 15,000 Acadians on PEI, fully 10% of the population. They are scattered throughout the province but heavily concentrated just west of Summerside. In this part of the Island the everyday language of the community is French, not English.

When I was in practice in Summerside, I would do a weekly clinic up in Wellington, and 90% of the patients were Acadian.

Thanks. I am quite aware of the cultural and language dynamics of PEI as it's one of the five provinces I've lived in and I have both friends and relatives who still live there.

I agree that PEI is a good 10% (maybe even 15%) Acadian in terms of origins but realistically only about 5% of the province's population can be said to be francophone.

As I mentioned before on here it's nonetheless a fairly bilingualism-friendly province, even if in many cases the commitment is primarily superficial. Still deserving of an A for a good "Attitude".

When I said this with a bit of surprise, it was also with Nova Scotia in mind, which has similar francophone demographics as PEI, but doesn't come across as being as French friendly.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
When I said this with a bit of surprise, it was also with Nova Scotia in mind, which has similar francophone demographics as PEI, but doesn't come across as being as French friendly.
I agree with this, although some of the francophone friendliness of PEI may have to do with the tourism industry.

Nova Scotia tends to be a little more overtly discriminatory to the francophone minority, although they have made efforts to ensure that two of the provincial ridings are configured such that there is a reasonable chance to elect Acadians to the legislature.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree with this, although some of the francophone friendliness of PEI may have to do with the tourism industry.

Nova Scotia tends to be a little more overtly discriminatory to the francophone minority, although they have made efforts to ensure that two of the provincial ridings are configured such that there is a reasonable chance to elect Acadians to the legislature.
Though there's been a bit of a legal fight about those ridings in recent years - at this point it looks like Acadian-friendly ridings will be a reality once again though. I think NS also tries to favour representation in the legislature of the black community centred in the Preston area. NS Acadians also have their own (tiny) university which PEI Acadians do not. Though the creation of that university (Ste-Anne) is not really the doing of the NS government.

And I agree that PEI's bilingualism efforts are related to tourism in part. (Relatively few Quebec tourists make it to Nova Scotia.)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I agree that PEI is a good 10% (maybe even 15%) Acadian in terms of origins but realistically only about 5% of the province's population can be said to be francophone.
1.6% of PEI's population speaks French at home. Nova Scotia is also 1.6%.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...=E&T=32&Geo=11

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Nice car you had there lio45! What do you currently own?
At the moment, nothing that interesting. A bunch of trucks (three of them - I just acquired a new PowerStroke diesel Ford 4x4), a 1980s Chevy Caprice that runs on propane that was originally built for the Canadian military in the ephemeral late '80s propane craze, and an early 2000s VW GTI Mk4 that doesn't have its VR6 in it anymore but instead a 1.9 diesel from a Jetta.

But I'm looking for a Ford flathead project... either a pickup or a convertible. When that happens I will be back in the category of owner of at least one vehicle worth mentioning

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:35 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Interesting assortment of vehicles. I've seen a Chevy Caprice here and there in Toronto and Mississauga, they're one of the more common "older" cars I've seen as of late. They're stylish....the back story for your Caprice is certainly intriguing.

I like your idea for that Ford Flathead. (I'm presuming you mean the Ford Flathead engine?)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Same way Leaf fans got theirs before the Austin Matthews lottery.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:33 AM

Caught a PEI and a Nunavut plate within 2 minutes tonight at a parking lot in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:43 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Behold the splendor of Manitoba's bilingual plates. It took them like a decade to roll it out... the only difference it says 'bienvenue' at the bottom, and for some reason it uses an uglier font than the unilingual version.

I remember mentioning this to a Quebecois friend and being told, with a dismissive chuckle, that "Friendly" is an anglo-saxon concept with no equivalent in French.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada