HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 6:53 PM
Honored Member

That's not a standard tower under that crane, it's one custom section equal to 3 standard sections.

Great shot NYGuy.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Dec 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:19 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I think it's a safe bet Silverstein is doing his best to find tenants - he cares more about completing the site than any of us.
He's doing his best to find tenants that are willing to pay his rates, which at $70psf and upwards (three figures for upper floors), is a $20-30 premium over the rest of downtown, and comparable to the better rates in midtown. With that in mind, Silverstein could probably rent the whole complex by New Years if he lowers the price, but he's thinking long-term.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 8:11 AM

*nyguy's photo

Im not sure where to post this but it relates to the wtc complex. In the photo above I have been to the brick buildings on the right of wtc4 and one had a food court and some small shops. Im wondering if there are any plans to tear those down and build one building in its place with store front at the base to replace those old beaten buildings. When I went inside they arent even any old gem or anything like that they are crooked falling down dirty and one nice building could take the place of all of them I think theres 4 and it would pull the whole area together a lot more. Plus theres a few art decos right across the street which would keep that old feel and these by no means are art deco. Those few buildings are really the only crappy part in this area of downtown and its right at the wtc complex so they gotta go, not to mention their on absolute prime real estate. If those go down and something nice around 750ft to 1000ft is built there with some nice store front in the base lower manhattan will be unstoppable and more modern and desirable than any other city in the world. I understand there needs to be a few crappy buildings in every city to keep it real but not right there.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 8:24 AM

^^^That site is a tricky one for a few reasons. First is the two 'larger' buildings in the bunch are IMO quite nice, and they aso house the temporary 9/11 museum. Second is on the western side of the block (the one story building closest to the DB site), is an active fire station. While I agree that the Burger King and the other small shops on Church Street should go, as well as the fire station, the fact that these sites are so small make them less attractive to developers, especially since they're making money right now.

I do agree though that right now that block is very hodge-podge. What I'd also like to see is the replacement of the banal crap on the next block south, (the shitty black and white building), that's a real hunk of shit.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 9:34 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 12:31 PM

^^^ fabulous rendering STR

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 2:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss-ton View Post
Those few buildings are really the only crappy part in this area of downtown and its right at the wtc complex so they gotta go, not to mention their on absolute prime real estate. If those go down and something nice around 750ft to 1000ft is built there with some nice store front in the base lower manhattan will be unstoppable and more modern and desirable than any other city in the world. I understand there needs to be a few crappy buildings in every city to keep it real but not right there.
While those buildings directly border the WTC site, I don't think they'll be going anywhere soon. I believe one of those buildings was taken over by squatters years ago that turned it into a success story. It was also one of the early success stories when they returned after 9/11. Also, Russell Simmons has an apartment in one of the buildings, which he has used to show support for various WTC issues.

http://www.thegrio.com/politics/russ...nyc-mosque.php

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...que_oppon.html

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/25/russ...oexist_ban.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
He's doing his best to find tenants that are willing to pay his rates, which at $70psf and upwards (three figures for upper floors), is a $20-30 premium over the rest of downtown, and comparable to the better rates in midtown.
Right. Silverstein isn't going to budge on his rates. He didn't do it for 7 WTC when the City suggested he do so, and it has proven to be the better decision for him. Even Durst is going to hold back on marketing the upper floors of the Freedom Tower because everyone knows rates will only go up. The City's top office towers should command the steepest rates, even Downtown. I think Conde Nast's decision to move to the site will have a ripple effect over the entire development. Though tower's 2 and 3 seem better suited for financial firms, whoever steps up to lease space will be most welcome. Tower 2 is the tower most likely to be stalled, so any news of potential tenants within the next year or so would be fantastic.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 4:21 PM
Honored Member

"Boom me up, Scotty."

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 5:22 PM

Tower crane was being assembled. Photo taken on Saturday December 19, 2010.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 5:23 PM

Tower crane is being assembled as of Saturday December 18, 2010

Last edited by Patapsco; Dec 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 7:56 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
While those buildings directly border the WTC site, I don't think they'll be going anywhere soon.
Plus they’re not a bad little dynamic for the area considering the three other bordering streets consist of high-rises. It’s also one of those cases where ‘if walls could talk.’

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 9:56 PM
Honored Member

Photo by GreenwichBoy over at WNY

Crane Forest. And there are what, 3 more tower cranes on the way. (Another one for Tower 2 and at least 2 more for Tower 3)

Great pic Patapsco !!!!!

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Dec 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 1:07 AM
BROOKLYN

Its going to be a great day once this is above ground.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 2:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco View Post
Tower crane is being assembled as of Saturday December 18, 2010

A beautiful site. Whether or not the tower will come to a halt is a question for another day. This image, right now, is all we need. Reminds me of the days when the cranes first got on the Freedom Tower site.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 5:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Another peek at our new crane from the cam...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Cool, looks so futuristic!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 7:43 PM

This is the best of these towers

Old Posted Dec 20, 2010, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A beautiful site. Whether or not the tower will come to a halt is a question for another day. This image, right now, is all we need. Reminds me of the days when the cranes first got on the Freedom Tower site.
I have a feeling that by the time the question *is* revisited, it will have already been rendered moot with news of a tenant and complete financing.

This economic bill that was just signed may ease enough jittery nerves (especially in Wall $treet) to allow for quicker positive movement.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Well, we're all hoping so. Keep the momentum while we have it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 6:38 AM
Because I'm Clever!

From about a year ago, but leaked PA renders of the retail stumps of 2 & 3 WTC. I see very little chance of them stopping with Tower 3, especially with the Recession bonds, but a worst case scenario.

NYPost via Curbed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction