HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 9:30 PM

another great photo set. cool pictures. I like that city.

just curtious, you the same kingofthehill on citydata?

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 9:37 PM
them bones

people, places & things, all in good order...

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 9:49 PM
zzzzzzzz

One of the best people-photographers I've ever seen in what has to be one of the most interesting people-cities anywhere... this is going to be fun to watch! Great set.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 9:59 PM

San Francisco needs you.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 5:18 AM

we all know youll do us proud with your display of san franciscans, but im really excited about the food youre going to show us!

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 2:00 PM

It's certainly good to see my favorite city!

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
we all know youll do us proud with your display of san franciscans, but im really excited about the food youre going to show us!
If that's a Brenda's shrimp (or oyster) po-boy he's already shown (like I guessed), you aren't going to do much better.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:12 PM

Damn, SF is just the city for your style. Bright colors, beautiful streets, people everywhere--you captured it all so vividly. Congrats on the new hood, I'm definitely jealous.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:52 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Another most interesting thread! The people in SF look the same as they do down here in LA but the urban street scene is unmatched. I love the way you captured all the vibrant colors of the neighborhoods. I will have to remember to come over to the N thru z city photos more often. I have a habit of not checking them out so I miss all the great cities like SF. I really wish all the city photos could all be combined into one area again.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 9:40 PM
International

Ha, thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Damn, SF is just the city for your style. Bright colors, beautiful streets, people everywhere--you captured it all so vividly. Congrats on the new hood, I'm definitely jealous.
Hardly. Most of SF is way too sterile, yuppified and gentrified for my tastes. Huge swaths of the city come off as tame and even a bit prefabricated; definitely homogeneous.

I'd take some real, down to earth people over the classist, overprententious yuppies/hipsters and associated faux liberals anyday.

Montreal, Berlin, NYC and Buenos Aires are the only cities I feel are truly cut out for me.

read: http://devanwells.blogspot.com/2009/05/sf-yo.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Another most interesting thread! The people in SF look the same as they do down here in LA but the urban street scene is unmatched. I love the way you captured all the vibrant colors of the neighborhoods. I will have to remember to come over to the N thru z city photos more often. I have a habit of not checking them out so I miss all the great cities like SF. I really wish all the city photos could all be combined into one area again.
LOL, they do not! SF's people remind me most of the types you'd find on the Westside and recently gentrified locales such as Silverlake (near the reservoir and Gelsons's/Trader Joes) -- hardly emblematic of the city as a whole. Also, how the people in SF look the same as us in LA is beyond me. How can the people of SF look the same as us Angelinos when LA is 60+ % Hispanic, lol? By contrast, SF is far more uniformly white; make that, white & upscale.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I hate Ed Hardy.
seriously. i don't get it

these are just a preview of what koth can bring to the table. awesome set

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 3:02 AM

Whoa, you're gonna have a lot of fun in SF

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 5:15 AM

Amazing pictures, for the 1000th time. I'm guessing you don't get tired of hearing that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Ha, thanks guys!

Hardly. Most of SF is way too sterile, yuppified and gentrified for my tastes. Huge swaths of the city come off as tame and even a bit prefabricated; definitely homogeneous.

I'd take some real, down to earth people over the classist, overprententious yuppies/hipsters and associated faux liberals anyday.

Montreal, Berlin, NYC and Buenos Aires are the only cities I feel are truly cut out for me.

LOL, they do not! SF's people remind me most of the types you'd find on the Westside and recently gentrified locales such as Silverlake (near the reservoir and Gelsons's/Trader Joes) -- hardly emblematic of the city as a whole. Also, how the people in SF look the same as us in LA is beyond me. How can the people of SF look the same as us Angelinos when LA is 60+ % Hispanic, lol? By contrast, SF is far more uniformly white; make that, white & upscale.
Dude...you've been to SF for a grand total of a couple weeks combined so far, right? Just give it some time and check out more areas and people before you make a judgement on the entire population (though i agree hipsters and yuppies can kiss my ass by and large...but they're hardly emblematic of SF as a whole either). Also, i'm curious as to what felt sterile or prefabricated to you. Those are two words that i've never heard to describe SF. Regardless, kick ass photos, and can't wait to see what else you come up with once you move up here.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 9:04 AM
BANNED

"overprententious yuppies/hipsters and associated faux liberals anyday.
Montreal, Berlin, NYC and Buenos Aires are the only cities I feel are truly cut out for me."

Ahem! None of those sorts of people in the mentioned cities for sure. None at all.

PS: Can't wait until you actually go to New York on your planned trip. Be sure to check the scintillating absence of faux liberals on the Upper West Side, overpretentious yuppies in TriBeca and SoHo, hipsters on the Lower East Side etc.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 1:09 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
"overprententious yuppies/hipsters and associated faux liberals anyday.
Montreal, Berlin, NYC and Buenos Aires are the only cities I feel are truly cut out for me."

Ahem! None of those sorts of people in the mentioned cities for sure. None at all.

PS: Can't wait until you actually go to New York on your planned trip. Be sure to check the scintillating absence of faux liberals on the Upper West Side, overpretentious yuppies in TriBeca and SoHo, hipsters on the Lower East Side etc.

Sure, of course those cities have those people, but not to the same degree as SF. In fact, I can't think of any other city where gentrification/yuppification has taken such a hold...maybe Boston? There is definitely a ubiquitous, recurring hegemony/order in many SF nabes.

And who goes to NYC and hangs out in commercialized , sex and the city neighborhoods?! people-wise, I'd steer clear of most of whats in those hoods - I'd much prefer the more wholesome and "real" Brooklyn.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Sure, of course those cities have those people, but not to the same degree as SF. In fact, I can't think of any other city where gentrification/yuppification has taken such a hold...maybe Boston? There is definitely a ubiquitous, recurring hegemony/order in many SF nabes. And who goes to NYC and hangs out in commercialized , sex and the city neighborhoods?! people-wise, I'd steer clear of most of whats in those hoods - I'd much prefer the more wholesome and "real" Brooklyn.
there's always oakland! no really, short but sweet set....and before you ask i am leaving my apartment this very second to take pics of the new neighborhood.

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 12:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]
So who goes to NYC and hangs out in commercialized , sex and the city neighborhoods?!
Uh, couldn't begin to answer that.

So why ARE you moving to SF then?

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 12:31 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Ha, thanks guys!

I wasn't referring to ethnicity... I am well aware of the differences in the two city's demographics. I was referring more to the styles of the people you captured. And tho the demogrphics are different I wouldn't say San Francisco is much more uniformly white than Los Angeles. Nevertheless probably an overbroad generalization on my part.

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 12:54 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Uh, couldn't begin to answer that.

So why ARE you moving to SF then?
Why are you worrying about it?

It doesn't concern you, nor is it any of your business - don't sweat it, pal.

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 1:40 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Ha, thanks guys!

SF uniformly white(and no, theres nothing wrong with that)? You need to check the demographics, San Fran is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the US and perhaps world.
Preferring certain neighborhoods is fine, but one day you'll discover that all people are "real", not just the ones you choose to identify with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos