HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 12:58 AM

We just disagree on if things are getting better or worst in Buffalo !

Watch for a Major announcement of Mega Entertainment complex with a
Hotel, Restaurants, Amusement Park, Water Slide Park in
Cheek-to-Waga ( I heard a rumor that Senecas are going to build it)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 1:01 AM

that's a indoor amusement park & water slide park
it's suppose to be announced soon !

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 1:11 AM
Lurkerus Omnipresentus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel
I never heard the phrase before
To be honest, neither had I until a few months ago. Then maybe 10 times since. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention? I like it, but I tend to like anything that isn't sugar coated. Tell it like it is.

I certainly wouldn't perceive it coming exclusively from the locals at least. Maybe just about everyone I've run into/heard has been way too nihilistic or something, but they wouldn't take it as something to be proud of. Though if anything, I swear alot of them enjoy things the way things are (when I say "things" I mean to imply the bad things), heck, just read some election results for that.

On a different matter, I don't want to get into SSC-esque debates about Boeing, Microsoft, Intel, Berkshire Hathaway, and the global HQ of Joe's Diner all moving into a 300 story tower (with a footprint the size of Delaware Park, no less) to be completed by Donald Trump in Buffalo tomorrow - but did anybody notice this snippet from the News today?

Quote:
Businesses call for unleashing hydropower's economic power

International firm is considering expanding here

And state Sen. George D. Maziarz, R-Newfane, contends low-cost power could open the door to potentially "billions of dollars" in investment by an international company that he said is considering expanding here.

Maziarz would not reveal the company that he said could invest billions here, but he assured the panel it was a household name.

Last edited by Sgt. Sabre; Sep 20, 2006 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 2:09 AM

Maziarz = Moron

Maybe there is such a prospect, but it sounds like something he's pulling out of his ass in order to get this power allocation thing changed.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 3:31 AM
Great White Norf

Buffalo has its fair share (a lot) of problems, but I am an optimist and look at all the good things that are happening, yet one can't forget the problems the city and area have, just don't dwell on them!

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 20, 2006 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 3:34 AM

On a side note, most people keep complaining about how high the taxes are and i know a lot of it is out of the hands of local governemnt. However i havn't heard a single suggestion of how to lower them on a local level such as using models from the south and west. ie, privitizing municiple services and like sabre said downsizing an overbloated system of local government that is based on an out dated model. And yes i know what everyone is going to say that you'll never get it passed the unions and i'm sure it would take forever but i'm just throwing it out there, any thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 3:41 AM

Isn't the real problem school taxes and not so much local government? Start consolidating and take on the unions to get their compensation inline with the private sector. And start shrinking government. I just read that public sector jobs increased by 30,000 or something like that in NYS over the last several years? And the ratio of public to private sector jobs is one of the highest in that nation? Why is that happening?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 4:45 AM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54
On a side note, most people keep complaining about how high the taxes are and i know a lot of it is out of the hands of local governemnt. However i havn't heard a single suggestion of how to lower them on a local level such as using models from the south and west. ie, privitizing municiple services and like sabre said downsizing an overbloated system of local government that is based on an out dated model. And yes i know what everyone is going to say that you'll never get it passed the unions and i'm sure it would take forever but i'm just throwing it out there, any thoughts?
Hell, I'm all for some old school Pinkerton action. Let's bust some knee-caps.

Make this bitch a right to work state! Huzzah!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 5:02 AM
seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic
that's a indoor amusement park & water slide park
it's suppose to be announced soon !
Looks like it's going where the old Radisson is. That site has really turned into a mess... But I didn't realize there was enough land there to support all these proposed hotels and waterpark.

From WGRZ:

Plan In Place For New Development Across From The Airport

When people from out of town fly into the Buffalo Niagara International Airport and turn onto Genesee Street, what they see across the street is the first impression they get of Western New York: The run down buildings that were once home to the Radisson Hotel.

But now plans are in place to redevelop that area directly across from the airport.

A plan was submitted by a private developer to the Town of Cheektowaga Code Enforcement Office that calls for the construction of two new restaurants, two hotels, one being a 125-room Courtyard By Marriot, the other a 125-room Fairfield Inn, and even a 4,750 square foot water park connected to that Fairfield Inn.

"The water park aspect of it adds an element that we don’t have in our town," said Cheektowaga Councilman Jeff Swiatek.

There’s room for 559 parking spaces, and the potential to build a third hotel on the site.

Full: http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=41279

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 5:07 AM

More Benderson.

4750 sq.ft. water park? More like a pool area.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 1:27 PM
welcome to the madness

I believe that it will be similar to the indoor water park in Erie. Now I know that that may not sound great to many of you in the city, but in the Southern Tier people flock to Erie to shop and take their kids to the water park. That one little park probably supports the business of 3 or 4 hotels. It's so successful at drawing people from our area we're even thinking of building one for ourselves in Belmont/Belvidere off I-86.

Back to Buffalo--we finally got a good looking airport--it seems this project to spruce up the area around is needed--something besides "the jewel of WNY!"

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 1:33 PM
seriously

Owner of ex-Lord Chumley's sells Delaware Ave. row houses
Former restaurant site included in sale

A string of historic row houses on Buffalo's Delaware Avenue, including the site of the former Lord Chumley's restaurant, have been sold for nearly $850,000.

Stillwater Holdings, LLC, has purchased the landmark restaurant, located at 481-483 Delaware Ave., plus the three adjoining row houses. Documents related to the $848,600 sale were filed with the Erie County Clerk's Office. Additional information on the new owner or what the future holds for the once-popular dining spot was not available.

Full: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...20/1073352.asp

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 4:22 PM
seriously

They've started work on the Burchfield Penny site today. Fencing was removed, trees are down and whole site is dug up...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 6:45 PM

Termini adding to downtown apartment portfolio

Business First of Buffalo

Developer Rocco Termini is moving ahead with plans to increase his downtown Buffalo apartment portfolio by 55 percent and simultaneously find a new home for a fast-growing firm.

Termini, through his Signature Development company, has secured private-sector funding for the conversion of the historic Webb Building on Pearl Street into market-rate upscale apartments. The 130-year-old Webb Building is expected to be home to 32 new apartments and a 14,000-square-foot day care center.

The $10 million project has mostly private funding, though Termini is negotiating a payment-in-lieu-of-taxes incremental financing package through the Erie County Industrial Development Agency. The pilot would be worth about $800,000 in low-interest financing.

Termini said he hopes to begin construction on the apartments by mid-October with the first units ready by September. Termini has the building under contract from fellow developer Carl Paladino. The deal is expected to close just before construction begins.

The Webb Building, once the home of an industrial belt manufacturer, has been vacant for more than 20 years. The six-story building has 60,000 square feet.

Carmina & Wood Architecture has been retained to handle the architectural work.

Termini, next month, will appear before the Community Preservation Corp. loan committee to ask for a $3 million loan to help underwrite his conversion of the circa 1894 former Graystone Hotel on Johnson Park into 33 market-rate apartments. Termini also has the building under contract from Paladino. The conversion is expected to cost $7 million.

Work is expected to start later this winter, Termini said. Carmina & Wood are the architects.

The Graystone, original known as the Berkeley Hotel, has been vacant for more than 10 years, but is considered a downtown historic landmark.

"Both buildings have so much character," Termini said.

With the new buildings, Termini's Signature Development, will have 185 apartments in its downtown portfolio. His other projects include the Ellicott Lofts, the IS Lofts and Oak Street Lofts.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 9:12 PM
Great White Norf

more good news! yay!

if only more developers started "coming out of the woodwork"

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 3:42 AM
try being in the Buff

Soon there will be no more derelict buildings downtown. One by one they are being ticked off. Genesee Block has to get some movement soon!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 12:25 PM

Looking Good!

Do you have addresses for those buildings, I'd like to get some "before" pictures.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 1:57 PM

MR-
Webb is at 90 Pearl, a few doors up from Pearl St. Brewery.
Greystone is on S. Johnson Park between Delaware and S. Elmwood.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 5:10 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll get to those this week... Did you guys see my Buffalo pics thread? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=116289
Shots from the top of central terminal toward downtown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 8:59 PM

Planning Board Meeting

So I had to be at City Hall today for a meeting with one of the city's 3 community planners and decided that I would go early and sit through the Planning Board meeting. WestCoastPerspective asked if I would check out two of the items on the agenda and get some pics, for which I obliged.

Item #1: Ellicott Development's Waterfront Village Project

Presented today was preliminary site plans for 15 townhomes as part of the Waterfront Village project that Ellicott has prefered developer status for next to Admirals Walk. The townhomes are of a similar design to the Rivermist Townhomes across Ojibwa Dr. from the Ellicott development. They are a little more pedestrian friendly than Rivermist. The Ellicott reps I talked to stated that development has to begin by the end of the year or they lose prefered developer status from BURA. They will start with 4 units, after those are sold, will buildt the next four, to make a continuous 8, when those are sold will build the last 7 all at once. The townhomes are to be between 2200 and 2700 sq. ft. and have either 2 or 3 bedrooms. Each unit will have a small patio which will overlook a small park behind the townhomes. Maintenance on the park will be paid for by the homeowners association. The preliminary plot plans were approved. The condo tower is still being tweaked but they have to present the plans for that to BURA by the end of October, but they probably won't go before the Planning Board until after the 1st of the year.

Item #2: Colvin/Starin Subdivision in North Buffalo

The second item that WC wanted me to look at was the proposed subdivision between Colvin and Starin along the old Rail ROW in North Buffalo. There are 134 proposed lots, although several prospective buyers have indicated they wanted to buy double lots, so there will not be 134 homes built. The NFTA has required that there be a 30' ROW maintained on the north side of the property to allow for the construction of a bikeway and/or future rail extension. The city department of public works is requiring there to be a 66' wide right of way for the street and adjacent sidewalks, which leaves a 79' to 89' lot depth. The typical lot will be 55' wide with the four corner lots being 70' wide. At both ends of the new street low entrance walls are proposed making this a true 'subdivision'. The developer did not have architectural renderings available for the houses, but I would suspect that they will be of a suburban style considering the lot width and depth. I am going to talk to him on Thursday about some more renderings, so I will probably enquire as to the house designs and see if I could at least encourage him to have the garages set back from the front of the houses. I think this one is going to happen considering that the Planning Board approved the preliminary design as well as the fact that I think the site is properly zoned so unless the North Buffalo people that were opposed to the Natale proposal come out in force to oppose this, I think it will go through.

Some pics from both proposals:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestip...7594301041189/

Both developments will be presented at a public hearing in front of the Planning Board on October 10th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations