HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 10:13 PM

Thanks Shift for finding the render. That's a great looking tower and 25 storey's is the perfect height for the area. Loving how the towers are flowing from King George Station through to Innovation Village (Hospital) with Avani, this tower, and the one across the street slated for residential.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:36 AM

Another lot I'm curious about is this one. It was torn down a few weeks ago and is still being cleared out.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:47 PM

Interesting. There was a proposal back in 2010 for that lot and basically the entire property through to 104th Avenue to build a few high rises totaling 504 units with some mixed use commercial/retail.

It didn't go anywhere and is now closed I think due to the financial crisis, nothing new on the books though it seems.

Only thing active is next to that building there a permit request in (18-0057-00) to reduce existing parking ratio for Steve Nash Fitness World for an apparent new grocery store there.

The empty field in your image across the street (Whalley Boulevard West Side) has a DVP currently in process 18-0141-00 to build a 35 storey tower with 4 storey podium. 341 residential units + ground floor retail. Also is proposing a separate 3 storey commercial building next to it.

Still in review, nothing posted yet for view.

Would be nice to see 18-0141-00 go forward and maybe a few more towers on the plot of land you mention. They're pretty much next to the new Anthem phased development where Canadian Tire is, and now that they purchased the Toys R Us land there, that whole 4 block square could see 10-12 high rises developed in the coming years. Would start to fill out "Surrey Central" and move density away from being directly around SkyTrain.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 8:05 PM

Wall Financial has picked up 12.5 acres directly north of Highstreet Mall in Abbotsford for $26 million; this about a block off of Trans Canada Highway.

I believe that land is designated for mid-rise.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Interesting. There was a proposal back in 2010 for that lot and basically the entire property through to 104th Avenue to build a few high rises totaling 504 units with some mixed use commercial/retail.

It didn't go anywhere and is now closed I think due to the financial crisis, nothing new on the books though it seems.

Only thing active is next to that building there a permit request in (18-0057-00) to reduce existing parking ratio for Steve Nash Fitness World for an apparent new grocery store there.

The empty field in your image across the street (Whalley Boulevard West Side) has a DVP currently in process 18-0141-00 to build a 35 storey tower with 4 storey podium. 341 residential units + ground floor retail. Also is proposing a separate 3 storey commercial building next to it.

Would be nice to see 18-0141-00 go forward and maybe a few more towers on the plot of land you mention. They're pretty much next to the new Anthem phased development where Canadian Tire is, and now that they purchased the Toys R Us land there, that whole 4 block square could see 10-12 high rises developed in the coming years. Would start to fill out "Surrey Central" and move density away from being directly around SkyTrain.
A friend who lives across the street in the townhouse complex (south of the lot) said she received a notice that a tower will be proposed on the cleared lot, although no details at the time.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
A friend who lives across the street in the townhouse complex (south of the lot) said she received a notice that a tower will be proposed on the cleared lot, although no details at the time.
Interesting. I'll ask a source of mine who also lives in that complex.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post

It seems like parking would be non existent if they decide to go through with that. That gym is one of the biggest in Surrey.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:58 PM

Big new application at 10138 Whalley Blvd - site in red below just south of Anthem's Georgetown.

"1070 dwelling units"

Applicant noted to be "Rize Atelier (WLY) Limited Partnership (Benn Duffell )" - but I don't think it's the same as Rize Aliance (Wave developer). A quick search seems to indicate they are the owner of the current 3-storey apartments that are on the site.

https://apps.surrey.ca/Online-Develo...ar=18&seq=0289

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/45cc5dd09b925342....jpg[/IMG]

Anyone know if there has been any activity with this site? There use to be a school here which was torn down maybe 5-6 years ago but nothing has happened since. It's a huge lot, probably around 2.5-3 acres.
The old Fleetwood elementary, closed and demolished(heritage) due to its "inappropriate commercial zone location", while the district is still strapped for space...

Site sold for $10M

Quote:
The owners have applied for the following, to allow for the development of a mixed-use,
transit-oriented development (TOD) of approximately 6,650 square metres (71,600 sq.ft.) of
commercial, retail and office space and approximately 272 apartment units and six (6)
townhouse units:
https://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounc...14-0121-00.pdf

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Big new application at 10138 Whalley Blvd - site in red below just south of Anthem's Georgetown.

"1070 dwelling units"

Applicant noted to be "Rize Atelier (WLY) Limited Partnership (Benn Duffell )" - but I don't think it's the same as Rize Aliance (Wave developer). A quick search seems to indicate they are the owner of the current 3-storey apartments that are on the site.

1070 dwelling units? What's that, 3 towers? phew

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhJay View Post
1070 dwelling units? What's that, 3 towers? phew
Or 2 large towers w/500+ units each and street level complex below?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:17 PM

I see a lot of parking lots in that image

Bring on the 1070 units!!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

"1070 dwelling units"

It actually is Rize Alliance! Benn Duffell is Vice President of Development at Rize Alliance.

They own quiet of bit of land now, this the yellow medical building, Linea...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:12 AM

It would be nice to see smaller developments. Not small as in the building but small as in the area of land. I don't want the area to be a bunch of massive developments with point towers everywhere like Metrotown. Doesn't lend itself to an inviting downtown feel imo

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
It would be nice to see smaller developments. Not small as in the building but small as in the area of land. I don't want the area to be a bunch of massive developments with point towers everywhere like Metrotown. Doesn't lend itself to an inviting downtown feel imo
I agree. With these large developments you get 2-4 towers looking the same.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:37 AM

Quote:
I agree as well. Smaller developments add variety and character to a city. New towers look soulless and cold. I believe because Surrey is some years behind Metrotown in terms of development, we’re in a good position to avoid the mistakes they made.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
I agree as well. Smaller developments add variety and character to a city. New towers look soulless and cold. I believe because Surrey is some years behind Metrotown in terms of development, we’re in a good position to avoid the mistakes they made.
Absolutely, if we can add some mid level buildings like 10-15 floors too, it would add some great variety to the skyline

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:20 AM

More than sheer height, I want towers that meet the ground in an effective manner. I don't want "towers in a park", where each is a self-contained bedroom community. Give me ground-level retail and podium-level townhouses, anything to get the people a chance to interact with each other.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
More than sheer height, I want towers that meet the ground in an effective manner. I don't want "towers in a park", where each is a self-contained bedroom community. Give me ground-level retail and podium-level townhouses, anything to get the people a chance to interact with each other.
For sure; either commercial fronting the sidewalk, townhomes stepping down to the sidewalk, or else it should be access to park/plaza etc. and then continue with commercial or homes.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
There are a number of smaller developments under application right now. A good handfull of small footprint 6-storey projects (contained within existing small lots - not a consolidation of a bunch of surrounding lots).

Larger sites like the new rize one and anthem site are existing large lots. The anthem site will be subdividing and punching in new roads / lanes which is great. Definitely won't be a towers in the park vibe like around Edmonds Station.

Below is an example of a 6-storey project under application. Instead of consolidating with surrounding lots - they are applying for a small footprint building with just a few units per floor on that existing lot. There are a few other sites of similar size with similar applications elsewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley