HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Well said. Honestly growing up it was pretty rare to go to a (ocean) beach to swim. Spent most of my (ocean) beach time partying at night. Swimming was done in rivers or lakes.

Now as an adult in my mid thirties the only time I go to a beach is when there is a storm. (maybe this is weird?) I love watching shit get smashed by huge waves, or waves coming over the road flooding peoples yards, ferries struggling to make their landings etc. You might get soaked and be cold (unless you can just hang out in your car and watch), but for me its more entertaining then sweating in the sun.

So I dont really understand the people saying "THE BEACH IS ONLY FOR SWIMMING AND ONLY WHEN IT IS ABOVE X DEGREES CELSIUS!!"

But I guess being from back east, and only knowing puny non tidal, sheltered fresh water bodies of water. They just dont understand. (tongue in cheek obviously)

Its funny you should say this. A favourite Cobourg pasttime is going to the pier when its windy, people love watching waves smash off the pier and come up over their cars.

You can stand out there too but I wouldn't advise it. Might get swept away and die. That puny lake isn't very forgiving.

Last edited by TownGuy; Jan 28, 2015 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. By mid-July, I find Okanagan Lake to be verging on the border of warm. The only place I find the lake to be unusually cool in mid-summer is around Sarson's Beach. Around Gyro Beach, Bertram Park, and especially around Okanagan Lake Resort (had a summer job at the marina, and was in the lake for most of the day), the water is glorious.
Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact Kelowna summers are extremely hot compared with Vancouver?

If you go swimming in Water and get out and the air is the same temperature, it might seem colder especially if there is a breeze like there usually is in Vancouver.

In Kelowna, the water may be 24c but when you get out of the water, the air is 36c and theres no breeze. Thus it feels warmer then it is.

I usually swam at city park, gyro beach, and water front park. There was also a lot of secluded swimming spots outside of those areas as well.

The other observation is that Kelowna summers are hot, but not always. For every day above 35c, theres a day below 25c in Kelowna during the summer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I too found Lake Okanagan to be much warmer than the waters around Vancouver (except maybe the South arm of the Fraser River, in slow-moving sections off of Delta and the Southern part of Richmond).

When I lived in Kelowna, my swimming season would begin in early June (tried late May, and CCCCCOOOLLLLDD!!!) and often persist until the last week of September. I swam pretty much every day, several times a day. As others have noted, Gyro Beach is an especially pleasant spot for swimming in the summer. City Beach was a little colder. Okanagan Centre has a nice beach, but here too it was rather chilly. I used to swim in nearby Kalamalka Lake about as much (near Oyama, and also, Vernon). I found it was usually a few degrees warmer, which makes sense given that the depth and surface area is less than Okanagan Lake. Plus, Ogopogo enjoyed the cooler waters of the latter lake.

Harrison Lake is extremely beautiful with a very nice beach, but I came close to hypothermia trying to swim across a section. Nice along the shore, then you get out, and wholly fuck it is extremely cold. There is a sectioned-off part for sissies (foreground below) that heats up a bit more.

tripadvisor

Probably the best ocean swimming in BC (perhaps the country) is to be had along the east coast of Vancouver Island (around Parksville and Qualicum Beach, and also farther north, e.g., Miracle Beach near Comox)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:36 PM

Good view of Parlee in the evening:

Link

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:53 PM

I've been to Wasaga Beach many times over the years when the water temperature was 26-30C. No lie. It was insanely warm. Then again, it's actually funny how far you can go out at Wasaga and it's still so shallow. One of the best family friendly beaches in the world I'd say.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Good view of Parlee in the evening:

Link
That's a pretty nice beach too. There are several nice ones in NB and PEI that are both on the ocean and have warm water. Though they don't have hilly or mountain scenery around them but nice dune scenery. Often huge dunes.

It's not a given though, and you have to ask around. Some beaches can have 25C water and others are freezing. Depending on ocean currents.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's a pretty nice beach too. There are several nice ones in NB and PEI that are both on the ocean and have warm water. Though they don't have hilly or mountain scenery around them but nice dune scenery. Often huge dunes.

It's not a given though, and you have to ask around. Some beaches can have 25C water and others are freezing. Depending on ocean currents.
Yup. It's the one that gets the most "press" but the locals often head to some of the other ones (Aboiteau, Murray's, etc). There are a TON to choose from, and most on the Northumberland have warm water, with exceptions (Kelly's can be a bit cool, as it's farther North up the coast).

No, no mountains, but it's the warmest salt water you can find in Canada, generally.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Harrison Lake is extremely beautiful with a very nice beach, but I came close to hypothermia trying to swim across a section. Nice along the shore, then you get out, and wholly fuck it is extremely cold. There is a sectioned-off part for sissies (foreground below) that heats up a bit more.
not surprised to hear that. like many lakes in BC, harrison lake is glacial-fed which is why it's so cold. definitely keeps me from taking a swim.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:14 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Beaches mean sand and sand gets everywhere. I don't know why anyone likes them.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
puny non tidal, sheltered fresh water bodies of water.
Uh, you been to the Great Lakes? That's very, very, very, much understating them. They're basically inland seas.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:13 PM

We are going to need some great Urban Beaches if we are going to bid on the International Beach Games. Which should be starting in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:14 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
But I guess being from back east, and only knowing puny non tidal, sheltered fresh water bodies of water. They just dont understand. (tongue in cheek obviously)
The Bay of Fundy is out east.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
The Bay of Fundy is out east.
It's OK, I think he meant "east" not "eastest".

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:38 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
It's OK, I think he meant "east" not "eastest".
Ontario is central.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Ontario is central.
I agree!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:06 PM

I guess all this talk about beaches means we as Canadians are sick and tired of winter and wish it was summer already.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Uh, you been to the Great Lakes? That's very, very, very, much understating them. They're basically inland seas.
Its pretty obvious a lot of these people haven't been around them. Lake Superior alone is identical in surface area to Vancouver Island, for instance.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes
Due to their sea-like characteristics: rolling waves, sustained winds, strong currents, great depths, and distant horizons, the five Great Lakes have also long been referred to as inland seas.

Ive atleast been to BC. Whistler twice (summer, winter), Vancouver and to the island, around Comox specifically. Ive walked some of these beaches theyre mentioning.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:00 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I guess all this talk about beaches means we as Canadians are sick and tired of winter and wish it was summer already.
I love winter and despise beaches. The water is never a good temperature, has gunk in it, there's sand in everything (including food), there's too many people, you get a sunburn, the changing areas smell weird, etc.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Ontario is central.
I thought we agreed that Manitoba is central, Atlantic Canada is east, and Ontario and Quebec are therefore not really anywhere.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I love winter and despise beaches. The water is never a good temperature, has gunk in it, there's sand in everything (including food), there's too many people, you get a sunburn, the changing areas smell weird, etc.
That makes me wonder why the north still not seeing any substantial population growth, aside from births. You would love it up there!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada