HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Sky One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 10:08 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
Busy Beaver

The design is giving me visual indigestion

The third midget sibling looks like it was bullied and robbed of stuff and the other two are fighting over the spoils. Or maybe it's a couple going through a divorce, one gets to keep the child because the other had an affair with Claridge's Icon. Come on, if you are going to build the tallest buildings in the city you are writing a story on the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 12:17 AM
National Capital Region

Not a fan either, it's trying to do too much...

the elevations have a 1:800 scale... anyone have a ruler handy?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:28 AM

I really like this. A central square with O-Train access through one of the towers.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:42 AM

Even though it's more on the safe side, I don't think it looks that bad. Certainly better than the boring redesign of SOHO Italia. I think the design is fine for a <50 storey building.

It would be great to have a real showstopper downtown that's around 60 to 70 storeys, something that would define Ottawa along with the Parliament buildings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:57 AM

I proposed a while back to hook the Airport Parkway and south Bronson into Booth and Rochester (which become a one-way couplet) with a new interchange at the Queensway, while closing the Bronson ramps and narrowing it to 2 lanes throughout, sending Bronson directly into Carleton University. Relocating the traffic into an extreme-density area seems more feasible now...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
Even though it's more on the safe side, I don't think it looks that bad. Certainly better than the boring redesign of SOHO Italia. I think the design is fine for a <50 storey building.

It would be great to have a real showstopper downtown that's around 60 to 70 storeys, something that would define Ottawa along with the Parliament buildings.
Are there any buildings in the CBD from the early towers that are in condition worth demolition? Maybe restore the height limit there and try to reclaim the downtown...I think we are catching up to a 40-year-old error, I kinda wish now buildings in the CBD were height-limited again...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:05 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
the elevations have a 1:800 scale... anyone have a ruler handy?
My calculation is about 540ft/164.5m to its highest point / roof, does that seem about right?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:59 AM
National Capital Region

^seems reasonable! if that's the case it would squeeze into the top 50 proposals in Canada list! http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=179543

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
updated Carling/Preston proposed/approved/construction projects (I'll colour code them next time)

edit: added Norman St and Rochestor.. thanks Brent!
Looking at this pic makes you feel sorry for Tunney's Pasture. I'd love to see a skyline like the one developing at Preston/Carling over at Tunney's. It has so much potential.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Looking at this pic makes you feel sorry for Tunney's Pasture. I'd love to see a skyline like the one developing at Preston/Carling over at Tunney's. It has so much potential.
I voiced a similar sentiment in the feedback for the Tunney's Pasture revitalization. No one has heard back from them yet, have they? I feel they were going to respond by November... I hope they scrapped their plan and can produce something better.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

I don't mind this proposal at all, at least it's not the usual stump design, but i'm sure this design and height will change for the worst at some point like SOHO Italia.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:35 PM

I actually really like it. I love the height, I love the location, I love the glass but but design as well (different colour balconies and such to create the spiral effects around the towers) etc...

I also like how they've put a lot of effort in street-level design. The what seems like townhomes, books stores and coffee shops, O-Train entrance and even the proposal for a plaza in the midst of their towers and Soho Italia. They would definitely become an icon for the Ottawa skyline and Little Italy could really become something amazing in the next couple of years.

Hopefully it gets approved as is and it can start construction asap! I'd like to see them before I die -___-

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 5:02 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I really like this. A central square with O-Train access through one of the towers.

What boggles me is why Richcraft doesn't do this with their Place des Gouverneurs site and Cyrville Station, which has exactly the same potential. The reason the sales there have been lacklustre is that the area has no pedestrian amenities or commercial activity, ergo zero appeal.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 12:06 AM

You are all correct, in that density like all the towers proposed and currently going up in this area isn't unreasonable, especially if the developers are required to integrate their proposed redevelopments into the neighbourhood and tie them into the O-Train. I too hope these towers get accepted, even at 38-40 floors, and they go up in the next few years.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:30 AM

With these new proposes, a few other recommendations:

* There should be improved lighting and sidewalks - perhaps stone or brick - along Carling east of Holland.

* The speed limit along Carling from roughly Bayswater to Bronson should be reduced to 50 km/h.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The design is giving me visual indigestion

The third midget sibling looks like it was bullied and robbed of stuff and the other two are fighting over the spoils. Or maybe it's a couple going through a divorce, one gets to keep the child because the other had an affair with Claridge's Icon. Come on, if you are going to build the tallest buildings in the city you are writing a story on the skyline.
Difficult to tell from the low fidelity renders, but I actually don't mind it. It's as if they realized everybody else was building the same glass tower and decided to take the task of introducing some visual differentiation all on their own.

It's early days, but it's also gratifying to see that they are giving some thought to life at ground level.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 8:33 PM

Curious to see now if other pockets of the city end up with their own skylines outisde the CBD...like what's happening in Little Italy and Dow's Lake...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Curious to see now if other pockets of the city end up with their own skylines outisde the CBD...like what's happening in Little Italy and Dow's Lake...
I'd love to see a skyline develop at Blair Station/the Gloucester Centre. For some reason that area reminds me of the Scarborough City Centre/Scarborough Town Centre area in Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 1:13 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Other than Lincoln Fields, Tunney's Pasture, Billings Bridge, South Keys, Hogsback, Lees, Hurdman, and probably a few others?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa