HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta - Druid Hills Campus

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 8:29 PM

That ^^^^^. has flown up, I forgot how many floors???

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
I wish they would have shown a little more of the Interstate side of the developement so I could see what final treatment was for the western facade of the building and deck.
An interesting side note on that...

I was at a construction industry event a week or so ago. While I was there, I got into a discussion with one of the trades on the Standard project. I commented on the elaborate canopy that has been erected on the interstate side of the project. I said that seemed excessive for a fall protection device.

They told me it's not for fall protection / material netting. It is apparently permanent. With the bathhouse below, there is an outdoor patio. Many of the patrons sun themselves au-natural. The "canopy" is a permanent privacy screen.

They also told me that it is not as opaque as it should be. You can see right through the thing!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newnan_Eric View Post
An interesting side note on that...

I was at a construction industry event a week or so ago. While I was there, I got into a discussion with one of the trades on the Standard project. I commented on the elaborate canopy that has been erected on the interstate side of the project. I said that seemed excessive for a fall protection device.

They told me it's not for fall protection / material netting. It is apparently permanent. With the bathhouse below, there is an outdoor patio. Many of the patrons sun themselves au-natural. The "canopy" is a permanent privacy screen.

They also told me that it is not as opaque as it should be. You can see right through the thing!
That was pretty obvious first time I saw it since it was erected. I think it is illegal to be naked even on private property if you reasonably expect someone to see you from outside your property which wasn’t a problem till the student tower was erected

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:14 PM

This is the 806 & 818 Marietta St. student housing project by Peak Campus.

180 Unit Student Housing
~10,000 sq ft retail

Link: Crane Watch: 180-unit student housing project by Georgia Tech, Path Parkway (Paywall)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:25 PM
BANNED

New Fortune 500 Company in Atlanta?

Last year Honeywell announced they were establishing a software center and headquarters for their Home and Building Technologies Business in Atlanta with 800+ jobs in Midtown. Today Honeywell announced they are spinning off their Homes and Global Distribution business into two separate and publicly traded companies. The spinoff will be completed in 2018.

With the news today, it seems as if Atlanta may have gained another Fortune 500 companies with Honeywell's restructuring.

Could this be one of the big expansions that has been rumored as of late?

https://www.honeywell.com/newsroom/n...r-headquarters

http://www.ajc.com/business/honeywel...ZdxcD64CQqlQM/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
I'm directly across from the one with Tiff's Treats.

Last year it was very obvious when I look up the rooms are filled and used, this year, few lights are on and I workout on our roof and watch TV up there and there are far fewer lights across the board, whole floors seem dark.

Maybe people are just out a lot studying, etc, but it seems far emptier and I go up most nights and it's the same on weekends as weekdays.
I can say with 100% confidence, as of September, University House was 100% leased.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
This is the 806 & 818 Marietta St. student housing project by Peak Campus.

180 Unit Student Housing
~10,000 sq ft retail

Link: Crane Watch: 180-unit student housing project by Georgia Tech, Path Parkway (Paywall)
Which buildings would this be replacing? I am having access issues to the city's GIS parcel viewer to review myself.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Which buildings would this be replacing? I am having access issues to the city's GIS parcel viewer to review myself.
From the picture looks like the cluster of low-rise buildings on both sides of Boss St NW

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Last year Honeywell announced they were establishing a software center and headquarters for their Home and Building Technologies Business in Atlanta with 800+ jobs in Midtown. Today Honeywell announced they are spinning off their Homes and Global Distribution business into two separate and publicly traded companies. The spinoff will be completed in 2018.

With the news today, it seems as if Atlanta may have gained another Fortune 500 companies with Honeywell's restructuring.

Could this be one of the big expansions that has been rumored as of late?
Here's hoping! Bring on Honeywell jobs to Atlanta and Midtown!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Looks to be the parcels under Rohrig Investments control - aka Cartel Properties. It's unclear if this development includes the interior corner parcel in question as well but more than likely due to the size/scale of this project.

George Rohrig owns (or owned) the site where Eviva is/was proposed - I honestly can't keep up with the status of that project anymore.

Cartel Properties has these sites listed under their portfolio.

http://cartelproperties.com/portfoli...rietta-street/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Looks to be the parcels under Rohrig Investments control - aka Cartel Properties. It's unclear if this development includes the interior corner parcel in question as well but more than likely due to the size/scale of this project.
Thank you! These are the parcels I was hoping the development would be located.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:45 PM

Dunwoody Marta station continues its rapid densification:

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...570&j=78967661

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...tower-project/

The Office and Hotel adjacent to the station are moving forward.

High Street also submitted their property to the State of Georgia for inclusion in the state's bid for Amazon HQ2

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...mazon-hq2-bid/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Latest Colony Square Project Preview

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:15 AM

2nd floor retail?

Quote:

Video Link
If I remember correctly there was a second floor retail in the original proposal. It looks like no more

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:10 AM

Quote:

Video Link
Ummm, my level of excitement for this project just went from about a 9.5 to about a 2. They appear to have cheapened it and dumbed it down to the point where I just don't even care. This barely looks like the original concept.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 12:42 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:06 PM

Hope this gets taken seriously, this could be transformational! Looks like an intern project though from the about page.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If I remember correctly there was a second floor retail in the original proposal. It looks like no more
I like the new concept. I think second floor retail has struggled in many malls without significant anchors so that is probably all the better. This is probably an acknowledgment that retail is a tad over saturated in the area and office is more in demand now.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Ummm, my level of excitement for this project just went from about a 9.5 to about a 2. They appear to have cheapened it and dumbed it down to the point where I just don't even care. This barely looks like the original concept.
NAP's M.O. isn't really known for going for striking/bold architecture, they invest heavily into programming their projects for the users and have a heavy social media presence. While not awful, the retail modifications to the base of the existing towers are more unified - rather than a random assemblage of boxes/forms previously conceptualized.

Looks like they're trying to add more office into the core of the project rather than a 2-story retail presence as previously conceptualized. 2nd-story retail rarely ever works - and the previously fly-through was a visual clusterf*&%k of random glass boxes. Instead of 2nd story retail, they added what looks like a smaller office building in the interior courtyard as well as an office building terminating the open-air pass-through, creating a focal point at the intersection of 15th street. The theater box must have demanded more square-footage than previously conceptualized and seems to have played a significant role in changing some of the spaces.

Overall what NAP is doing to Colony Square will be great to activate a lack-luster restaurant/retail presence in a part of Midtown that was sorely lacking another "third-place". I'll leave the design/architectural criticisms until we actually see the details of what's being built; a Sketch-up fly-through can only communicate up to a certain level of detail/resolution.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations