HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 6:15 AM

CFL rosters are for 46 players. 42 are on the active roster while 4 are on the practice squad.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 10:26 AM

Last edited by Darkoshvilli; Apr 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 8:26 PM

I doubt there will be a lockout. The rewards are too low and the risks are too high from both the league and players' perspectives.

I wouldn't mind seeing them reduce the number of Canadian-born players. The best ones will still get starting positions in the CFL, and be able to fill in for injuries, regardless of the non-import rule. Opening up the competition a bit for roster spots will just make it a better league.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 2:24 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
I suppose. New Brunswick has a population around that of Winnipeg. I mean really, there's no real reason that they couldn't both support a team. But then that would raise the question why doesn't BC have two teams?
There's far less competition for the entertainment dollar in smaller cities. Vancouver, at present, can't support 2 pro football teams, but BC probably could. You'd have to put it in Kelowna though. The Okanagan Valley is a captive market and a CFL team there would encounter little competition. It would instantly be the biggest deal in town.

Quote:
My thinking is that one Maritime team should suffice for the time being. Its not like people from Saskatoon don't drive to see the Riders play in Regina. I'm certain this would happen if either Halifax or Moncton got a team. It would have to be a team named for the region (IE: Atlantic Schooners) in order to not alienate the other provinces around.
I'd prefer that Moncton got the team first. The goal should be 2 rival Maritime CFL teams. If it goes to Halifax, Moncton may never get a team due to arguments that it's too small. Let Moncton get the team first so that a very strong and large New Brunswick fan base can be built. After that is established, put a team in Halifax.

The rivalry would be instantly one of the fiercest in the nation.

We don't need a 32 team league, but I would want more than 10. 14-16 is large enough to avoid constantly matching up with the same teams which can get very stale, yet small enough that cities don't have to wait a generation to get a Grey Cup. Canada should be able to support 14-16 teams. By 2025, the CFL should aim for this. Expansion teams in blue:

EAST
Toronto
Montréal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax
Moncton

WEST
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan
Edmonton
Calgary
BC
Kelowna
Vancouver Island

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:43 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There's far less competition for the entertainment dollar in smaller cities. Vancouver, at present, can't support 2 pro football teams, but BC probably could. You'd have to put it in Kelowna though. The Okanagan Valley is a captive market and a CFL team there would encounter little competition. It would instantly be the biggest deal in town.

I'd prefer that Moncton got the team first. The goal should be 2 rival Maritime CFL teams. If it goes to Halifax, Moncton may never get a team due to arguments that it's too small. Let Moncton get the team first so that a very strong and large New Brunswick fan base can be built. After that is established, put a team in Halifax.

We don't need a 32 team league, but I would want more than 10. 14-16 is large enough to avoid constantly matching up with the same teams which can get very stale, yet small enough that cities don't have to wait a generation to get a Grey Cup. Canada should be able to support 14-16 teams. By 2025, the CFL should aim for this. Expansion teams in blue:

EAST
Toronto
Montréal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax
Moncton

WEST
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan
Edmonton
Calgary
BC
Kelowna
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island referring to Victoria of course, Note Vancouver could have 2 Teams. Giving the Empire Fields(A new name yet TBD) had minor upgrades but then again would be relatively close to one another in that case. Its approximately 6.6Kms according to google the distance between

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:10 AM
Youth of a Nation

Distances Between Cities via Road (Stadium to Stadium)
all distances used on google maps. also i tried to not include distances greater then 8hrs.

Current (with Ottawa)

Toronto -> Hamilton
60kms
Toronto -> Ottawa
431kms
Toronto -> Montreal
546kms

Ottawa -> Montreal
200kms
Ottawa -> Hamilton
471kms

Montreal -> Hamilton
613kms

Winnipeg -> Regina
570kms

Regina -> Calgary
759kms
Regina -> Edmonton
778kms

Calgary -> Edmonton
302kms

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 12:03 PM
Youth of a Nation

Heres a quick glance on Wikipedia of current canadian football fields/stadiums. listed by capacity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ia_by_capacity

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 5:41 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I agree with you on that one. At least in theory. I think the eastern part of Metro Vancover and the Fraser Valley could support an Abbotsford, Langley, or Chilliwack based team under the right circumstances. That said, yeah, Kelowna is still your best option for a second BC team given that Victoria is still close enough to commute to Metro Vancouver to see the Leo's.

Quote:

In principle and geographically speaking, Moncton would be the wiser of the two options of the first Atlantic Canada based team. Halifax is the bigger city and it will probably go there based on that aspect.

Quote:

EAST
Toronto
Montréal
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax
Moncton

WEST
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan
Edmonton
Calgary
BC
Kelowna
Vancouver Island
I'm not sure that Vancouver Island is the way to go with this one. I think a Saskatoon based team would be better. I suppose maybe playing an exhibition game or something in Victoria with two teams that aren't the Lions would be an option to test the market. I agree with your time line on a major expansion this way. 15 years is enough time to develop these markets to be successful.

I would however like to add a few teams and a third division though, for 2030.

EAST

Montréal
Winnipeg
Regina
Ottawa
Quebec City
Halifax
Moncton

WEST
Saskatoon
Edmonton
Calgary
BC
Kelowna
Boise, ID
Portland, OR

SOUTH

Toronto
Hamilton
Windsor

Albany, NY
Rochester, NY
Duluth, MN

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 7:29 PM
Youth of a Nation

American Teams?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 7:39 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Vancouver Island referring to Victoria of course, Note Vancouver could have 2 Teams. Giving the Empire Fields(A new name yet TBD) had minor upgrades but then again would be relatively close to one another in that case. Its approximately 6.6Kms according to google the distance between
Yes, I mean Victoria, but wrote Vancouver Island to bring attention to the fact that a team in Victoria would really serve the entire island. Vancouver Island has a rapidly growing population. I believe it sits around 750,000 or equal to that of New Brunswick.

All of Canada's big 3 cities should arguably be able to host multiple teams, but none of them are at the point where football interest would suggest putting additional teams there.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 7:46 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
I'm not sure that Vancouver Island is the way to go with this one. I think a Saskatoon based team would be better. I suppose maybe playing an exhibition game or something in Victoria with two teams that aren't the Lions would be an option to test the market. I agree with your time line on a major expansion this way. 15 years is enough time to develop these markets to be successful.

I would however like to add a few teams and a third division though, for 2030.
Saskatoon vs. Vancouver Island (Victoria)? Saskatoon is the more football focused population, but then we get back to population and growing the geographic footprint of the league.

Strategically, I'd prefer Vancouver Island, but culturally, Saskatoon would be more interested in a pro football team. Perhaps, someone on the west coast cares to call me on that one?

I'm not in favour of US expansion. The Canadian market must be fully developed first. Even when it is, I have serious reservations about foreign teams. Anchorage, perhaps, but nothing else.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 7:58 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
American Teams?
If executed with absolute caution and in smaller, close to Canada American cities, the CFL could be successful in the USA.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

SOUTH

Toronto
Hamilton
Windsor

Albany, NY
Rochester, NY
Duluth, MN
[/b]
I guess then that as a result of this some of our fellow Canadians in certain cities will finally conclude that the CFL is big time now that their clubs are playing against Rochester, Albany and Duluth rather than hick towns like Montréal and Vancouver...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:29 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess then that as a result of this some of our fellow Canadians in certain cities will finally conclude that the CFL is big time now that their clubs are playing against Rochester, Albany and Duluth rather than hick towns like Montréal and Vancouver...
Both Rochester and Albany have metro populations over 1 million, Duluth has a strong football heritage and no team. I don't think either of the 3 would harm the league all that much. I'm not saying that they're blockbuster or blue chip markets in the States like a Detroit or Boston or Chicago. I'm just saying that in my opinion these 3 cities could support a CFL team given the opportunity. I think the only reason most would write them off from being included in the CFL is because they're American cities.

Of course, Canada's game needs to be developed in Canada first. Hence the 20 year plan to expand to Kelowna, Saskatoon, Moncton, Windsor, Quebec, and Halifax first. Then we can start developing the game in American markets.

None of the 5 chosen markets currently play host city to an NFL team, nor would it seem are any on the NFL expansion or relocation radar at the moment (well, maybe Portland...). It would only seem fitting to include them on our radar.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:57 PM
Youth of a Nation

Obviously before anything happens outside of Canada it remains a fact that all of Canada must be reached to build that solid foundation of CFL in Canada. If it takes a decade or two to do it then first things first.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Heres a quick glance on Wikipedia of current canadian football fields/stadiums. listed by capacity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ia_by_capacity

Interesting JayM. Thanks for the link.

To put it in tabular form here.........

1 - Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium)........62,531
2 - Vancouver (BC Place Stadium)...............59,841
3 - Toronto (Rogers Centre).......................53,506
4 - Calgary (McMahon Stadium)..................35,560
5 - Hamilton (Ivor Wynne Stadium)..............30,000
6 - Winnipeg (Canad Inns Stadium)..............29,503
7 - Regina (Mosaic Stadium).......................28,800
8 - Ottawa (Frank Clair Stadium).................26,559
9 - Moncton (Stade Moncton Stadium).........20,641 (configured for the Touchdown Atlantic game).
10 - Montreal (Percival Molson Stadium)........20,202

So, while the Moncton stadium remains smallish, it is not that far off the target for a lot of the other CFL stadiums. Only Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary are significantly bigger!

I think the Moncton stadium could be expanded to about 30,000 without too much modification.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:24 PM
Youth of a Nation

As not yet updated for the final seating capacity number for Molson Stadium @ McGill in Montreal, but according to site source approximately 25,000(fixed). That being not till June for numbers.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:27 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Interesting JayM. Thanks for the link.
Just something I stumbled upon many diggings.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:31 PM

Percival Molson Stadium in Montreal will reach about 25 000 seats (+ 20 new corporate box) once the refurbishment will be completed.

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/article/south-side-complete

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 10:35 PM
Youth of a Nation

Updated Pictures of Molson Stadium btw.

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada