HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 3:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Wow, so I just got roof access to the Bay Adelaide Centre here in Toronto thanks to a member of the camera club I'm part of. It's not much shorter than The Bow and the view was really something. I'm now extremely jealous of whoever gets the top floors of The Bow. (How they'll be able to do any work...) Pictures to follow, whenever I finish editing them.
Encana Business Development gets the top floor of the Bow. Looking forward to the photos!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 3:50 AM
Hare Expert

Are they looking for first-year mechanical/industrial engineering interns?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 11:28 PM
Closed account

Not sure where to put this, but I was wondering if anyone has watched the 'New York' documentary from PBS.

I am only on the 2nd one, but it really is amazing. It documents the development of New York from it's founding to present day, and talks all about it's planning, development, parks, transportation etc.

For anyone interested in how cities develop, I really recommend watching these. The Library has them all as well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 3:46 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Not sure where to put this, but I was wondering if anyone has watched the 'New York' documentary from PBS.

I am only on the 2nd one, but it really is amazing. It documents the development of New York from it's founding to present day, and talks all about it's planning, development, parks, transportation etc.

For anyone interested in how cities develop, I really recommend watching these. The Library has them all as well.
an excellent documentary! Ric Burns is the younger bro of Ken Burns. The "documentary" gene runs in the family

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 6:27 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post

I watched the whole thing when I had a ZIP.ca account, then I read the epic tome that is the Power Broker, which might be the next logical step for a lot of you guys.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 12:02 AM
IMHO

That reminded me, I found this book detailing Calgary's Urban Sprawl development from 1945 - 1978. "Expansive Discourses" by Max Foran. It's available for free as a pdf at the link. I learned a lot about how development used to happen in Calgary and the interactions between the developers and the City in getting new communities built.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:29 PM
effete latte-lifter

A nice little article on Bruce McCulloch, or funniest ever local luminary on his Calgary years and his kind and fair appraisal of our current cultural scene.

Why I Love My City: Bruce McCulloch on Calgary

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:43 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Huh, I didn't know he was from Calgary. My favourite "Kid" for sure.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:07 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Huh, I didn't know he was from Calgary. My favourite "Kid" for sure.
Did you know him and Mark McKinney were founding members of the Loose Moose improve theatre, Dave Foley and Kevin McDonald were also a duo prior to meeting McColloch and McKinney, and then I believe Scott Thompson auditioned to join them to form the Kids.

Edit: If you go back and watch Kids looking out for it, you will find an abundance of Calgary references.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 8:19 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
A nice little article on Bruce McCulloch, or funniest ever local luminary on his Calgary years and his kind and fair appraisal of our current cultural scene.

Why I Love My City: Bruce McCulloch on Calgary
cool article! I never knew Bruce McCulloch (or as he would jokingly say Muck-a-luck) was from Calgary.
Mark Byrnes lived in Buffalo when I did and had a blog called "All Things Buffalo". He also went to University at Buffalo for Urban Design I believe while I was studying Urban Planning/Geography at lil' brother school Buffalo State. I never did get the opportunity to meet him but read his blog regularly.
Glad to see he's doing really well in Baltimore and writing for The Atlantic no less

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 11:08 PM

Best fails of 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ19A2GFaBM" target="_blank">Video Link

even has a stampede clip

SSP y u no let me have image here

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 11:30 PM

At least stupid people are good for a laugh!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 2:20 PM
cow orker

At least Calgary made it in. I noticed the yellow and red stairwells of the Dome to the right and Arriva to the left of the human cannonball fail.
Must of been during Stampede.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 9:45 PM
effete latte-lifter

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all you fantastic nerds!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 4:13 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I hope everyone had a great day today!

Mine was pretty awesome, but it would have been nice to go for a skate (my aunt and uncle live on Mackenzie Lake, but it's closed due to the weather). That would have made perfection.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
Great White Norf

Last night I went with a few friends to check out the new Science Centre aka Telus SPARK for the Adults only event. It's great! what a gem for Calgary! too bad it's so isolated aka not Downtown, but it's a ridiculously easy drive for me (thanks 8 ave NE for existing!)

I highly recommend my fellow SSP'ers check out next months "Adults only" night "It's so choice" /endBuellerSpeak

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 5:00 AM
Home of Hyperchange

What exactly happens at an "adults only" event in a science centre?

The geek in me thinks "cool, no kids, I can play with all the exhibits without yelling and vomitting".

The pessimist in me thinks "I bet it's another excuse for adults to get drunk and act like children - and start yelling and vomitting".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 5:42 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
What exactly happens at an "adults only" event in a science centre?

The geek in me thinks "cool, no kids, I can play with all the exhibits without yelling and vomitting".

The pessimist in me thinks "I bet it's another excuse for adults to get drunk and act like children - and start yelling and vomitting".
That got me thinking of Nuit Blanche.

This adults-only thingy sounds like a good date idea for the less old of us. (Plus it's an excuse to have shameless fun, because it seems adults aren't allowed.)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
That got me thinking of Nuit Blanche.

This adults-only thingy sounds like a good date idea for the less old of us. (Plus it's an excuse to have shameless fun, because it seems adults aren't allowed.)
Why just the less old? I am planning on taking a date to next months (unless you think 30 is "less old").

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 5:23 PM
Home of Hyperchange

30 is that really annoying age where half the people think you're "too old", half think you're "too young", and for the first and last time in your life, you feel neither.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation