HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
This video is out-of-season, but Martin, if you haven't seen it, you may find it of interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajDRvUFDxSA

This brings me to the following Shorpy photo, said to be from August '63. I thought I had seen it on NLA, but today my memory and search skills are blunted. Notice the overhead street light. Notice the five horizontal red "dots"? Are they reflectors or lights? Do they serve a specific function, other than being decorative and to splash more color on the canvas?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f0f317100f.jpg
They are not "dots." They are red stars.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:23 PM

When I would do my occasional "pilgrimages" to the Strip while on business in Orange county, I would stand next to this sidewalk plaque commemorating 77 Sunset Strip (see pg. 2068). It was such a shame that was the only thing on the block left that would have any remembrance of the TV series.

I know I seem to be focused only on 77 Sunset Strip, but the "noirishness" of it seems to fit this thread. I'm surprised there aren't more references to it, especially some of you more senior guys who grew up in L.A. The hopes of finding more photos and references is what drew me to this site over a year ago. I follow it almost every day and just recently finally signed up so as to bring up this too-neglected subject.

I always thought the series took a dive anytime an episode would take place in another country--especially concerning foreign governments / spies, etc. First of all, it was ridiculous to think that private eyes from Los Angeles would be hired to do any of that sort of business. Also, the series episode budgets were so cheap, they could only employ old Warner Bros. footage from movies set in foreign cities as the only establishing location shots. Everything beyond that was comprised of studio back lot buildings that would have temporary store signs made up in whatever language was necessary to match the country. Not even remotely convincing, but somehow charming nonetheless.
The best episodes took place in LA, and would sometimes employ nighttime shots of one of the detectives tooling down Sunset past now long-gone establishments lining the route.

Being a kid from Indiana, I imagined LA was the center of the universe for all things cool. It wasn't until much later in life I had the means and ability to travel to the city. I sure wish I could have done so back in the early 60's when all those places and vibes were still around.
As I had mentioned in a past post, only Roger Smith, Edd Byrnes and Jacqueline Beer are cast members still alive. I'm guessing Smith and Byrnes probably still live in LA. Brynes occasionally does nostalgia tours and signing sessions with other 60's TV stars. I had always hoped I'd bump into one of them while visiting the city. I would have had a million questions to ask about their experiences while filming the series. Like who were their favorite female cast members in the episodes? People like Yvonne Craig, Ruta Lee, Karen Steele appeared on a regular basis.

Anyway, any tidbits, experiences or thoughts on series would be appreciated. I will respond with my own trove of knowledge on the tv show, which seems to be growing in a somewhat compulsive manner--according to my wife.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
In this video from 1980 there's a close-up of one right at the beginning and you can make out the star shapes. I don't know if it's the quality of this video or not, but what color are these stars? My memory of them is that they were orange colored. [...]
Seeing them (the stars) again makes me smile, as I remember them very well. Not sure why they attracted my attention on visits to Hollywood, but they did. I recall them as being fire-engine red (which is a pretty orange kind of red, so orange works too). Edit: Maybe I should add that each of my eyes sees colors a little differently than the other, so I always have a choice of three: What the left eye sees, what the right eye sees, and how the combination registers in my brain.

Last edited by odinthor; Apr 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM. Reason: Interesting optical information.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:15 PM

Yep, the photos of Dean Martin at the Hamburger Hamlet that Martin Pal referred to were definitely of him in his waning days. He may have not looked so dopey had he ditched those huge Harry Caray-type goggles he was sporting.
Still, in his heyday, no one looked as comfortable or cool smoking a cigarette than old Dino. It just seemed a natural part of his hand. Dan Rowan (from Laugh-In) came pretty close to it. I took up smoking when I was seventeen, and tried like hell to imitate either one of them. All I achieved was looking like some pimply punk kid without a clue.

The scenes in 77 Sunset Strip inside Dino's restaurant weren't really filmed on location. This was a set built on the Warner Bros. studio to imitate the restaurant. I would have killed to actually have been able to visit the real restaurant when it was still around (I think they tore it down in 1986) just to compare the differences or similarities.

The series would often feature the Frankie Ortega Trio playing in Dino's lounge. Frankie literally pounded the piano, backed up by a stand-up bass player and drummer. They always played like this was their moment. It was their only shot at national exposure. Go ahead and google them. You're not going to find much.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:28 PM

I didn't get to visit the Strip until 2005. Certainly the House of Blues was still there. I also wandered in to Whiskey A Go-go further down the street. It was around noon, so pretty much dead. Still, quite an experience knowing that this is where the Doors began their burgeoning popularity. I imagine the interior has probably changed over the past 40 years.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:45 PM

Loved the menu from My Own Place restaurant. You'd be hard-pressed to find Steak Tartare or Liver and Onions anymore on any modern menu. I especially like "our famous bbq spareribs", back when ribs were referred to as "spare".

I'm always amused at a restaurant's entrée description of being "famous" on what they consider is their signature offering. Generally the "famous" part is more in the mind of the chef or owner as opposed to any widespread and agreed upon public acknowledgement of the dish's notoriety. But who's to argue?

f the MOP was located at 8516 Sunset Blvd., it was almost next door to Dino's at 8523. It may have been the old or future Sea Witch.

As soon as I learn how to post or copy a pic on this thread, I will do so in order to make help my references to past photos and quotes from pages gone by to be a little more logical. Until then, please forgive my feverish ramblings if nonsensical or, heck, just downright stupid.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:31 PM

Excellent(!) post on Frolich's 'Jack London' House tovangar2.

la city planning

I hadn't noticed this interesting frieze. (is that a bovine in the middle?)

detail

I wish I had been walking below with a catcher's mitt when that piece fell off. (then run my a get-away car!)

It does have some similarities with the Peano.
---

When I posted about it over five years ago the google-mobile didn't go down La Vista Court. -so it was a treat to see your 'gsv'.

side-note:
I've replaced the missing pics in my old post.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
77 Sunset Strip...
[...]
I always thought the series took a dive anytime an episode would take place in another country--especially concerning foreign governments / spies, etc. First of all, it was ridiculous to think that private eyes from Los Angeles would be hired to do any of that sort of business.
[...]
The best episodes took place in LA, and would sometimes employ nighttime shots of one of the detectives tooling down Sunset past now long-gone establishments lining the route.
Only having seen some of this series in the past couple years, I agree with you about that. I don't like those out of city episodes much.

Burke's Law is another series that went the European spy route in its last season, changing it's name to Amos Burke Secret Agent, and was promptly cancelled.

Quote:
As I had mentioned in a past post, only Roger Smith, Edd Byrnes and Jacqueline Beer are cast members still alive. I'm guessing Smith and Byrnes probably still live in LA. Byrnes occasionally does nostalgia tours and signing sessions with other 60's TV stars. I had always hoped I'd bump into one of them while visiting the city.
Speaking of both, I saw an episode of Burke's Law recently where Edd Byrnes played a movie star homes tour bus operator. In the late 1970's I saw a taping of a George Burns special at CBS Television City. Ann-Margret was a guest on the program and in between filming they introduced her husband, Roger Smith, saying he was now her manager. I recognized him from playing the lead in the 1965-66 television series of Mister Roberts. This year they'll have been married 50 years! Wow!

Decades (AP Photo)

On October 12, 1960, weeks before the election, Vice President Richard Nixon stopped
by the Warner Bros. studio to film some campaign spots. He popped in to the filming of
77 Sunset Strip, where he met with Byrnes, Zimbalist…and guest star Roger Moore (right).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Seeing them (the stars) again makes me smile, as I remember them very well. Not sure why they attracted my attention on visits to Hollywood, but they did. I recall them as being fire-engine red (which is a pretty orange kind of red, so orange works too). Edit: Maybe I should add that each of my eyes sees colors a little differently than the other, so I always have a choice of three: What the left eye sees, what the right eye sees, and how the combination registers in my brain.
Now that is something I'd never heard about before! Does that mean one eye is colorblind? Interesting. Three colors!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Excellent(!) post on Frolich's 'Jack London' House tovangar2.

la city planning

detail

I wish I had been walking below with a catcher's mitt when that piece fell off. (then run my a get-away car!)

It does have some similarities with the Peano.
---

When I posted about it over five years ago the google-mobile didn't go down La Vista Court. -so it was a treat to see your 'gsv'.

side-note:
I've replaced the missing pics in my old post.
__
At first I thought the whole scene was perhaps showed an ancient Greek sacrificial procession with an ox or something; but now I'm thinking that's a canine in the middle, kind of in a thicket. The design reminds me vaguely of the sort of decoration you'd find at Scandinavian stave churches or on runestones.

Looks like the piece fell off due to the flow of water from the something-or-other above.

There seem to be flower-boxes missing from under the windows at right (or at least something happened under those windows).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Now that is something I'd never heard about before! Does that mean one eye is colorblind? Interesting. Three colors!
One eye is slightly more red/brown seeing, the other slightly more green/blue seeing. It has often made me consider "What is truth?", because here I'm seeing with my own eyes two conflicting truths. Life is interesting!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Only having seen some of this series in the past couple years, I agree with you about that. I don't like those out of city episodes much.

Burke's Law is another series that went the European spy route in its last season, changing it's name to Amos Burke Secret Agent, and was promptly cancelled.

Speaking of both, I saw an episode of Burke's Law recently where Edd Byrnes played a movie star homes tour bus operator. In the late 1970's I saw a taping of a George Burns special at CBS Television City. Ann-Margret was a guest on the program and in between filming they introduced her husband, Roger Smith, saying he was now her manager. I recognized him from playing the lead in the 1965-66 television series of Mister Roberts. This year they'll have been married 50 years! Wow!

Decades (AP Photo)

On October 12, 1960, weeks before the election, Vice President Richard Nixon stopped
by the Warner Bros. studio to film some campaign spots. He popped in to the filming of
77 Sunset Strip, where he met with Byrnes, Zimbalist…and guest star Roger Moore (right).
Roger Moore seems to wearing his Beau Maverick outfit (also shooting on the lot at the time). Roscoe is wearing a sheet and Zimbalist looks like he's in a World War I uniform, possibly? Plus there's the unidentified smoking guy who looks like a Marseilles dockworker or an Apache dancer. I wonder if they just had everybody dress up to make it look more like a typical day at the studio. Like in movies where they always show the studio lot filled with gladiators, cowboys and indians, spacemen and somebody leading an elephant.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality

'mystery'
location.

found back in Sept. 2016 on ebay

At first I thought that was a mile marker in the foreground. -but now I think it's just a plain ol' ordinary post.

(I don't know what that dark thing on the post is) maybe a wasp nest?
Bristolian, you're the first person to try and solve this mystery. THANK YOU

for your research and for contacting Steve Meisenholder at the Manhattan Beach Historical Society.
-----

I have a question for you or Steve:
What is the history of the old scallop shell fountain to the right of the Manhattan Historical Society bungalow?

Polliwog Park

gsv

It's somewhat similar to this one but less grandiose.

http://manhattanbeachhistorical.org/

"The Neptunian Memorial Fountain in the center of Center St., Manhattan Beach Calif." [c.1918]

Does this fountain still exist?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 24, 2017 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:00 PM

It's another Matcham and Heitschmidt design from Julius Shulman today. This is "Job 290: Matcham and Heitschmidt, Maurice Holman Loft Building, 1948".

Getty Research Institute

The description says "Possibly located in Santa Monica, Calif." It isn't, it's at 925 Maple Avenue. The first floor has been modified a little, but the upper floors have hardly changed. The building to the right has lost about two feet off its height, but is otherwise quite original. Its hard to tell with the building on the left due to signage. My guess, based on the size and a few details, is that it's the same one.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:27 PM

Yep, I guess someone other than me thought the European episodes of 77 Sunset Strip were the berries, since Season 6 dropped all of its stars save for Efrem Zimblist and made it more of an uneven international spy series. Even dropped the iconic theme song, the dummies.
The addition of Richard Long as Rex Randolph for a few episodes in Season 3 also defied credulity. Stu, Jeff and Kookie were doing just fine without his help. Rex was sort of left-over meatloaf from the Bourbon Street Beat series, which also spun Van Williams into speedos on Surfside 6 alongside Troy Donahue. After that series tanked, Troy made his way to Hawaiian Eye. Do you see a pattern here?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
As I had mentioned in a past post, only Roger Smith, Edd Byrnes and Jacqueline Beer are [regular] cast members still alive. I'm guessing Smith and Byrnes probably still live in LA. Brynes occasionally does nostalgia tours and signing sessions with other 60's TV stars.

FWIW, Roger "Beau" Moore appeared in at least one 77SS episode and there are likely several others still around who made guest appearances on the show.

(Dates unk)

Edd making time for his hair.

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/a24e37c20ef4abb7_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/7fee967792d4862e_large

Roger Smith and Ann Margret.

Something catches Roger's attention.

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/af20836f5836fca6_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/f320e4e73a22df95_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/b9a4bcee23c82a8f_large

Ann searches for WigWag.

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/97dab7d96722a4fe_large

http://www.trainweb.org/dansrailpix/hornbrook1a.gif

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
__
Maybe a hunting dog? (is that a kneeling hart on the right?)

There was a statue in the niche on the left side of the second floor. It's gone:

I'm not sure of the placement of this one (maybe on the south side):

pix above from la city planning

There was another bas-relief to the right of the right-hand, ground-floor door (you can see it in the historic photo below).

The London House bas-relief before it was installed, looking so fresh and new:

huntington dl (detail)

The city hearing in January decided to look further into monument status for the building because the application "warrants further investigation". I hope it goes well.

The building is not without problems. It's not falling down or anything, but the previous owner said in an interview that it was recommended that it basically be taken down to the studs and a new foundation poured, then restored.

The west and south sides of London House (the angled thing against the penthouse was a skylight for the studio):

gsv

Quote:
There seem to be flower-boxes missing from under the windows at right (or at least something happened under those windows).
The railings are missing (nothing that can't be replaced):
Quote:
Quote:
The design reminds me vaguely of the sort of decoration you'd find at Scandinavian stave churches or on runestones.
That's it exactly. "You can take the boy out of Norway, etc..."

Quote:
Looks like the piece fell off due to the flow of water from the something-or-other above.
Yeah, rainwater has been draining around the beam which holds the winch. The frieze never had a chance (I bet the beam is rotted out too). Looks like someone has tried a patch recently (better late than never):

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 29, 2017 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:53 PM

I just stopped off on my way to the car wash to eyeball it in person but the animal in the frieze looks to me like a hound or a wolf. (Or maybe a big sled dog named Buck?) The frieze is in bad shape and the rest of the building could use some TLC.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Decades (AP Photo)

Sorry Edd....I thought he'd passed away.....he's 83.

Born Edward Byrne Breitenberger
July 30, 1933 (age 83)
New York City, New York, United States
Occupation Actor
Years active 1956–1999
Spouse(s) Asa Maynor (m. 1962–71) (divorced) one child
Children Logan Byrnes

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
I just stopped off on my way to the car wash to eyeball it in person but the animal in the frieze looks to me like a hound or a wolf. (Or maybe a big sled dog named Buck?) The frieze is in bad shape and the rest of the building could use some TLC.

Dogs played an important role in Jack's life and his writing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos