HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 4:07 AM

Whoa, do no like that. That's like not even a design and definitely doesn't fit with Manhattan West.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
My guess is between 850 and 1050 feet.
Probably around the lower end. Looks like it could be around the height of 15 Hudson Yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
That's like not even a design and definitely doesn't fit with Manhattan West.

And thankfully not. Imagine everything being covered in that blue glass, the complaints here would be over the top. I also don't think that everything has to blend in.
Between Related and Brookfield, we're creating an entire new skyline and city here. And it should look like that, not like two enormous complexes of similarly designed buildings.
Related at least seems to be trying something different with the Equinox building (also by SOM) and it looks like they will do the same here.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...er-Weather-NYC

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:34 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

You keep talking about blue glass. Who here has stated they want another blue glass tower as if that's the only other option? It's not the color of the tower; it's just a poor design and fit for such a prominent location on the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:27 PM

FYI, this is the correct rendering.

http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/01/rev...ttan-west.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:44 PM

Ha! Well, welcome back, blue glass! I trust this design makes no one happy?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 6:09 PM

U would be right in that assumption.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 6:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
You keep talking about blue glass. Who here has stated they want another blue glass tower as if that's the only other option? It's not the color of the tower; it's just a poor design and fit for such a prominent location on the skyline.
Nobody has said they wanted a blue glass building. But I'm in the New York threads a lot. "Blue glass" comes of often as a complaint. Brookfield's complex is a complex of blue glass, if this tower were to blend in with the rest, you would have an entire complex of blue glass. Further, if the building had the features of the other two towers - which are already being complained about in this thread - there would be questions of why they didn't try to do anything different. Well, now they have, and I like it. But it makes sense, not just because I like it, as I've said, they're building an entire city from scratch here, there should be a variety. Now, if you're complaint is that the building is a box, look around the Hudson Yards developments, they are hardly boxes. Some people may find that to be a good thing, but again, they are building a city from scratch. Like it or not, boxes are a staple of the Manhattan skyline. Is the design groundbreaking? Obviously not, nor does it need to be. It stands and commands its space. It's not the centerpiece of the Hudson Yards, and isn't meant to be.

Now lets just hope they keep it at that. The designs are always subject to change.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 6:24 PM

I didn't absolutely love the earlier rendering, but I at least really appreciated that it looked somewhat distinct from the rest of what was going up.

From the beginning, my greatest concern with Hudson Yards / Manhattan West has been that the concentration of ownership would cause the entire area to lack the eclectic feel of a city that has grown up organically through expansion by different developers over different eras (the plight of overly-centralized planning in certain emerging cities). I think that Related is aware of this danger and has been careful to vary architectural styles somewhat to avoid it (although I would love to see them go further with this and build with some limestone ala 220 CPS as well). For that reason, along with the increased height, I thought the earlier rendering for the Manhattan West residential tower was a great sign of things to come.

I cannot convey how much of a disappointment this new rendering is by comparison. It looks like something better suited for the western end of the 42nd street corridor along with Silver Towers, or maybe even LIC. Brookfield has an opportunity to produce luxury housing bordered by Moynihan Station and Hudson Yards, an arguably superior location to that of the western rail yards (which is where Related plans to make all of its money)--what are they thinking putting up this stubby utilitarian design?

They own all of the property on that block, so they should be able to merge all lots for zoning purposes and distribute square footage however they want. I don't think there are any height restrictions that limit how tall they can build as a practical matter either. Why, then, are they building a separate residential tower rather than adding residential footage to the top of one of the office towers? The views would command a much greater premium and would make the overall site more prominent in the eyes of tenants. Is it just that they don't want to wait to finish the deck before starting construction on residential?

I've got news for the people at Brookfield taking this approach: nobody in their right mind is going to pay a premium to live next to an open construction pit with views blocked in all directions by massive new developments. Whatever they save in time by putting this crap up first is going to be lost in value forfeited due to the pedestrian nature of their residential offerings; I just don't see this competing in the same class as any of the condos being built by Related a block away.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well that sucks.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:43 PM
Metal Up Your !

Boring, ugly, bland, gross, awful, grisly, grotesque, hideous, horrid, unsightly building. Please scrap and make an effort this time. Kthx.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 11:37 PM

At this point three big fillers that will be watered down either height or by design by the time its actually built.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
FYI, this is the correct rendering.

http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/01/rev...ttan-west.html

What a disappointment, another blue glass filler with reduced height. I liked the black tower design, it stood out and added variety to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Image © SOM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:57 AM
BANNED

The taller tower was better.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is one of those cases where its about the economic benefit to the developer than aesthetics. The square footage is there, but at the expense of design.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
What a disappointment, another blue glass filler with reduced height. I liked the black tower design, it stood out and added variety to the area.

How dare you, LOL.

I'm not even sure that will be the final design though. It's smaller than even the smallest plan for that tower. At least 450 looks better in that render.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:41 PM

I'm a little disappointed they're making the exterior of 450 flat. The graduated windows created my favorite winter game: dodge the falling ice bombs.

jglover1028

Last edited by j-biz; Jan 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM. Reason: added future ice bomb photo

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I'm a little disappointed they're making the exterior of 450 flat. The graduated windows created my favorite winter game: dodge the falling ice bombs.

jglover1028
The AP HQ bldg provided the photo platform for the AP photo that NYguy posted earlier:

(AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews) looking west from the AP HQ Bldg/450 W 33rd, NY, NY

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
And thankfully not. Imagine everything being covered in that blue glass, the complaints here would be over the top. I also don't think that everything has to blend in.
Eat your words NYguy! And no, the blue glass is a step in the right direction. I get that you like variety in your skyline, but New York City is a long long way from having a full or even half glass skyline. Despite all the glass towers built in the last 10 years they've hardly made dent on the overall skyline. If you take away the WTC it's even worse... and yes that will change in the next 10 years. There's still some room for more, it's not over. I expect New York will have a lot more glass towers in the future. It just so happens Robert AM Stern is like the John McCain of architecture!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 5:46 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Posted January 22, 2014...
Photo Credit: Thejacko5 @ SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
updates...

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:04 PM

^Platform! Huzza!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive