HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 1:02 AM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Got Five View Post
Far from a pipe dream - and yes, we are running the show. You will see a new football stadium in the future - close to mass transit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
And what lot would be big enough close enough?
There are a few big lots at Broad/Pattison

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 4:41 AM

Speaking of Temple . . .

Of the tea partiers that go/went to college, out of principal do they only go to private universities and reject any government-provided financial aid? Will state subsidized higher education get the axe when the tea partiers and libertarians are in charge? I believe their ideology holds that private markets will provide for all our needs other than national defense and, um, nice roads for their HumVees.

On this basis, given that TU is a state university, why will there be a need for a new Temple Football Stadium given that the libertarians will soon be running the show?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 2:30 PM

The American Spectator Online: http://spectator.org/archives/2011/0...ts-house-wreck

The President's House Wreck
By Peter Hannaford on 7.19.11 @ 6:07AM

Often, the National Park Service gets things right. Sometimes it gets them very wrong. The recently opened "re-imagining" of the President's House in Philadelphia is one of the wrong ones.

In November 1790, President George Washington and his family moved into the two-story brick house Congress has rented for them from financier Robert Morris. It was near where Congress would meet, now that the government was moving from New York City. (It moved again in 1800, to Washington, D.C.)

In this house the executive branch of the nation's government took shape. Washington met with Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton and other cabinet members, issues were thrashed out and levies held -- receptions in which the president would be accessible to the people. Sensitive to the need to appear to be composed at such times, this tall, august man had a bow window installed in the state dining room so he could create the right impression by standing with his back to the light when greeting guests.

The building was razed in 1832 and in the 1950s the area was cleared for the creation of Independence Mall. No one seemed to know the precise location of the house until an amateur historian, Edward Lawler, Jr., published the results of his intensive sleuth work and pinpointed its location. This was in 2002 and the National Park Service was then beginning to plan a redesign for the Independence National Historic Park . Lawler had also discovered where Washington had housed his stablehands, most of whom were slaves. It was within feet of the new Liberty Bell Center.

The NPS could have made a replica of the President's House. This has been done in many places, Williamsburg, Virginia being the most prominent. Historic replicas are out of fashion these days, however. Instead they hired an architectural firm and historian Gary Nash to conjure up an abstraction. Nash is a member of the Revisionist School of American History. In 1994 he was hired by the National Endowment for the Humanities to draft new national standards for the teaching of American history. His view of the nation's founders was that they were all oppressive, hypocritical and interested largely in advancing their own economic interests. His "product" was so egregiously negative that the worse parts were excised two years later.

The architect concocted a neo-ruin of a colonial building. It has four brick-clad walls with three tall pillars, several window frames and a doorframe, but nothing above them. There is nothing inspiring or even thought provoking about this open-to-the-sky structure. It does not even conform to the dimensions of the actual building's measurements.

Inside, the flat surfaces display a surfeit of interpretive panels and videos. None describe the achievements of the first president and the government. The concentration is on race relations and mistakes made (clear in hindsight), such as Washington signing the Fugitive Slave Act and John Adams signing the Alien & Sedition Acts.

The fact that there were slaves in Washington's household in Philadelphia is worth pointing out, but so are Washington's political skill, determination and personal modesty. Nash may have thought he was offering what he has calls "multi-layered, multi-faceted social history," but he has given us a one-dimensional and negative view of what was, in fact, the beginning of a socio-political miracle, a successful, durable republican government.

The bending-over-backwards quality of the presentation can be attributed in part to a local black activist group which relentlessly lobbied the National Park Service to "honor, primarily, the nine enslaved African descendants." They were part of the story, of course, but only part of it.

Mount Vernon, Washington's Virginia home, has a Slave Memorial, an annual ceremony honoring the slaves and a support group made up mainly of descendants of Washington's slaves who work closely with the Mount Vernon staff to make sure this aspect of Mount Vernon is well represented. It is, and so are all the other aspects of the place. The result is that the visitor gets a "multi-faceted" impression.

Not so at the "re-imagined" President's House. The architects got an abstract original, no matter how unattractive; Nash got to portray the nation and its leaders in a dark light; and the pressure group got what it wanted.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 7:06 PM

Thanks for the pictures. As an '06 grad, I am very interested in the development on and around campus. I make it up to North Broad a few times a year for basketball games and am always shocked at the amount of students living several blocks west of campus. I'm hoping that the increasing amount of rehabbed homes and houses being built on once empty lots leads to more commercial development along Cecil B. Moore, up to maybe 18th or 19th. There are a TON of empty lots and abandoned properties in that stretch and it would be nice to have more restaurant and bar options in the area.

As great as I think the 20/20 plan is in regards to improving Broad Street (especially the western side, from Montgomery to Norris), I'm a little disappointed in the University's decision to not expand its footprint. There are several spaces around campus that are either open land or blighted property which would be perfect for large-scale development (a few areas that come to mind are Oxford from Sydenham to 17th- including an abandoned 4-5 story building which would be great space for a dorm, Broad and York, the recently closed William Penn HS, and the parking lot on 11th and Cecil B.). I just don't fully support putting development into the hands of private investors looking to make a buck- look how the Edge turned out.

Anyways, I'm curious to see what kind of retailers the school attracts to the spaces at McGonigle and the new dorm on Broad. Have there been any businesses confirmed? Any rumors?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 7:37 PM

I also wanted to add that I REALLY wish/hope Temple would acquire some, if not all of the properties on the eastern side of the 2300 block of N. Broad. I know it's a good two blocks north of the campus border, but there are several beautiful buildings that represent an era of when North Broad was a home to many wealthy Philadelphians.

Right now those building are home to a branch of Jehovah's Witnesses, a funeral home (does North Philly have the most funeral homes per square mile in the country?) and a recovering drug addict center, among others.... depressing

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 9:52 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this thing is completely useless?
No. I think if the demand shows that they can expand it...I would like to see them do something like The Piazza At Schmidt's to allow people to go down there and watch the games on a big central screen who can't get into the games. It's just another entertainment destination in Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I agree with you. That area has more parking lots than an ocean has water yet they had to tear down the spectrum... for this?
I think not replacing the Spectrum with a smaller arena is a mistake. I liked that we had two indoor venues that kept the area busy. The Phantoms didn't have to move. The Spectrum was outdated and refurbishing it was probably not a wise investment. However, tearing it down and replacing it with a 10,000 seated arena would have been perfect for the Phantoms and smaller concerts and events. They could have still had the PHilly Live! complex between the two venues.

Quote:
What I want to see is condos/apartments along Broad facing FDR Park...
It would be a hard sell to get people to live in the sports complex. I would rather see new housing further up Broad filling in vacant spots along the street like it has been happening albeit slowly.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 4:01 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenbagis View Post
You'd want to live that close to the stadiums?
Apparently, there are people who would...think about where residential development is located viz. PETCO Park (San Diego) or AT&T (San Francisco)...and besides the stadium, FDR Park is a key amenity. You could sell east-facing condos to stadium nuts and (more expensive) west-facing ones to people who like looking at parkland when they look out their window.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Apparently, there are people who would...think about where residential development is located viz. PETCO Park (San Diego) or AT&T (San Francisco)...and besides the stadium, FDR Park is a key amenity. You could sell east-facing condos to stadium nuts and (more expensive) west-facing ones to people who like looking at parkland when they look out their window.
The problem is that all of those places are near only one stadium. You have three major venues at the sports complex creating traffic and noise more than 300 days of the year as opposed to Petco which has 81 events a year.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 4:53 PM
Western Suburbs

Quote:
Chickie/Petes is overrated.
Whether you like it or not - they are a national draw for sports enthusiasts. The place is always packed with tourists and they are expanding all across the region. It's one of the few highlights we have going for us right now...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 5:31 PM

I feel there is a demand for residential near the stadiums. However, I feel it would be much greater had one or two of the stadiums been built else where. They probably could put a couple of condo towers/buildings at broad and pattison with but I can't imagine much more than that.

As an aside, my dream is to have the bank built up near 30th street station and have the center be built around broad and washington. That would allow for redevelopment of 30th street, broad and washington and broad and pattison areas. But instead we have a cluster of craziness at broad and pattison which doesn't really add anything to the urban fabric and limits development in that area.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Got Five
Whether you like it or not - they are a national draw for sports enthusiasts. The place is always packed with tourists and they are expanding all across the region. It's one of the few highlights we have going for us right now...
Chickie & Pete's is "one of the few highlights we have going for us right now"?

WTH does that mean? Do you really think visiting a C&P's would be on the top of a list of things to do for a visitor to Philadelphia? Maybe a visitor to CBP, but not Philadelphia.

This might be the most non-sensical thing I've ever read on this thread. I could name probably 50 things without much effort that are relevant and represent good development for the city. Just because there are not skyscrapers being built right now in this city (which is true of most cities), doesn't mean nothing exciting is going on. Just off the top of my head there are these:

The Barnes
Expansion of CHOP on both sides of the Schuykill
Expansion of Temple
Development/Refurbishment of Parks all over city (Race Street, Sister Cities, PAFA, Clark Park, 12th & Catharine, even the parklet in West Philly). I'd argue these equate to 5.5 developments).
Hotel at 41st & Walnut (or Chestnut, forget)
Kimpton at 5th & Chestnut
Penn Park
Delaware Avenue Redevelopment (Huge Apartment Complex above Valero, pending development in Fishtown)
New, large-ish Music Venues (Spaghetti Warehouse & in Port Richmond)
60 new restaurants on deck to be opened in next 6 months
Mormon Temple
CCP expansion
New Art Museum Galleries
Reno & new retailers at RTM
On going Navy Yard developments
On going hotel developments beyond Kimpton
Lenfest Bldg at the Curtis
Northern Liberties
Fishtown
Point Breeze
13th St corridor improvements
Graduate Hospital
Passyunk Square
Templetown
Cedar Park
Powelton Village
East Kensington

Do I need to keep on going?

Phillies
Eagles
Flyers
Sixers (new ownership)

If you mean what I think you mean, you're a real downer. This is an exciting time to be in Philadelphia, even in spite of the recession.

This list took me all of about 4 minutes to regurgitate. I'm sure I could either expand on these points further or simply add points to the list.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 1:52 AM
Resident Jackass

You lost all credibility when you listed the Sixers

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 1:55 AM

I'm being optimistic. New ownership could be a good thing.

There's the Philadelphia Union. I think that makes up for it.

It's drawing a good fan base, though I hate that the stadium is in Chester.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:49 PM

An article on philly.com by Marcus Hayes of all people from last week gives a few more details on the phasing of the project. The hotel may not be too far away.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-09-0...s-reed-cordish

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 10:13 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

News:

1) Penn Park's open. Go and enjoy it.
2) Piers for the new bridge over CSX at Locust St. (closer to Spruce, actually) are well underway. That thing looks like it'll get built quick.
3) The Art Museum's new loading dock area is currently under construction. They've leveled basically half the hill on the Schuylkill River side to build it.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:00 PM

Philadelphia Inquirer
Posted on Sun, Sep. 25, 2011

Glitches bedevil President's House

By Stephan Salisbury
Inquirer Culture Writer

The President's House is broken.

That should not come as a surprise to most of the tens of thousands of visitors who have passed through the exhibition and slavery memorial on Independence Mall.

More often than not, they've been greeted by blank video screens.

In fact, since "The President's House: Freedom and Slavery in the Making of a New Nation" opened to the public in December 2010, key elements of the exhibition have not functioned properly.

The video screens, which tell much of the story of enslaved Africans associated with the site, repeatedly have shuddered and died. The large glass box that encloses archaeological remains of the house where George Washington and John Adams served most of their presidencies and where Washington held nine enslaved Africans has fogged up and leaked.

Officials at Independence National Historical Park, steward of the exhibition, say the city, as construction manager, is responsible for shepherding repairs.

City officials say they are chagrined.

"It's an embarrassment," said Gary Knappick, deputy commissioner of public property, who hastened to add that when repairs are made, the city is determined "to get it right, and get it right the first time."

Repairs may be on the way, but visitors have been complaining for months.

"People, visitors to the site, have been concerned because the videos were not operating," said Karen Warrington, director of communications for U.S. Rep. Bob Brady (D., Pa.) and a member of the committee that oversaw development and construction of the site.

The finicky screens have been swapped out, in some cases repeatedly, but replacements haven't worked any better.

The problem is highly technical, Knappick noted, but can be summarized succinctly: The President's House environment is too hot and wet for the current video configuration.

Emanuel Kelly, principal of Kelly/Maeillo Architects & Planners, designer and builder of the President's House exhibition, said the pace of repairs had been slowed by complicated warranty coverage on various parts and by less-than-enlightening responses from far-flung subcontractors. Late summer's relentless rain did not help.

He said he persisted in trying to get the original units to function, and they just as persistently refused to do so.

Different parts of the video system are covered by different warranties, and no single manufacturer could be held responsible when a screen went dark, Kelly said.

So who would be on the hook for non-warranty costs?

"Probably we are," Kelly said, adding that he didn't yet know what those costs would be.

After months of tinkering, architect, park, and city officials met in August and agreed that complete replacement of the screens seemed appropriate.

"They were giving it such a college try to make what was there work," Knappick said. The city, to nudge things along, suggested an outside evaluation, and Kelly agreed.

In the evaluation, Kelly said, "we found the design and manufacturing were flawed"; tests on how the original units would perform in the face of "water and heat were not all done before bringing these units to site."

A new test screen, made by a different manufacturer, will be installed, possibly by late November, Knappick said. If it works, all the screens will then be replaced. The new units, manufactured in California, will not sit flush with the exhibition's masonry elements, which will help prevent the electrical components from overheating.

If the demo screen works correctly, replacing all the screens will take perhaps three months, Knappick said.

The problems with leakage at the glass archaeological box, Kelly said, "are minor."

The glass began fogging as soon as the site opened, largely because of moisture within the excavated area. Dehumidification equipment seemed to be improving that situation.

Then, on July 3, the top of the box fractured, and now leaks have appeared within what is supposed to be a dry area.

Knappick said the city brought in a consultant who determined the glass fractured because of a "rare" manufacturing flaw.

The California manufacturer will ship replacement panels within the week, and Knappick said installation should be complete by mid-October.

There also have been leaks through the seals between the glass panels, which Knappick said have been repaired. Other leaks have been traced to an area near the foot of the glass box. Water has been seeping through a weatherproof barrier beneath and making its way into the excavated area below.

"We're waiting for dry weather" to repair that leak, Knappick said, adding that the repairs might be completed in the next week. Kelly added that "you need at least two days of dry weather" in order to effect the repairs, which should not be costly.

There are reports of other possible water issues inside the archaeological area, but examination of them also awaits drier weather, according to park officials.

Once the site is functioning as intended, it will be transferred completely to the care of Independence National Historical Park.

"We're doing the best we can under the conditions," Kelly said.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I wish is was a better monument too but considering that Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are the main attractions on that block, an additional attraction, the size of a residential house, shouldn’t be cause for embarrassment. It was a grassy plot before the memorial so I’m not sure how it should shame anyone.

When I host visitors in town there is plenty to be embarrassed about, such as all of the vacant store fronts on Chestnut East. A small inoffensive memorial on the same block as one of the most iconic symbols of freedom in the world, isn’t one of them. Can you elaborate?
Well, as for elaboration, a lot of published articles do a good job of the salient points that are wrong with this project. Not sure what more I have to add to those. It's just not a very dignified project, it's an abortion of a design because it was design by committee and even though not necessarily done on the cheap, it looks cheap.

And now most of it isn't even functioning to the level its designer(s) had hoped for, which wasn't much.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
If ya want to see Paine Park open anytime soon I'd suggest you donate to them...
A long-delayed skateboard park planned for an area near the Philadelphia Museum of Art .. will break ground in spring 2012, organizers and the city said Wednesday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-breaking.html

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 11:17 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Been kinda silent on the Paine Park front for a while. I'm glad to hear it's finally on.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 1:46 AM

South St Bridge final touches

Obviously not huge news: I can't tell for sure, since I cross the Walnut St bridge every morning, but lately I've seen cherry picker type equipment on the South St bridge working on the decorative towers. My guess would be they're finally installing the LEDs and the glass panels on the towers, but I haven't been over to look up close so don't quote me on that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development