HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Sienna at the Thompson in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 9:05 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
You are a troll.

Will you be my Karl Pilkington, wwmiv?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
My sister's boyfriend's brother told me that his brother's boss' wife's aunt knows a person who said that their priest's boss, the Bishop, thinks this project is at very best 50-50.

"Everything" is lined up??? Where are all of the announcements? Hotels, for example, like to make bookings available as far out as they can.

No offense to you or your source, but, there has been nothing provided (publicly) to make anyone think that this project is better than 50-50. They have already downsized the tower (after saying publicly that they were not afraid of going tall in Austin). Changed the residential component from condos to rental. And, I would imagine with that change, the hotel product will have also been downgraded - since higher-level hotels do not (or are not normally) associated with basic high-rise rentals.

Furthermore, Magellan is a small company - meaning they have a small staff. AND, they have several other higher value projects on their boards than this measly one in Austin (including, i believe, Chicago's third tallest tower).
Woah! You're right. I did hear from the bishop, except it was the "wife's uncle" not aunt who knew the person related to the priest below him. He says he's been praying for this one and that the heavens are currently drawing up a 1,000 footer for the post office site.

I really don't know why the hotel hasn't been announced and unfortunately I wasn't provided with that info. All I know is that Magellan is at least operating as if this is definitely a go. I really don't think the large project in Chicago will have a huge impact on this. Magellan has practically been printing buildings in the LakeShore East district in Chicago, and I just see no reason why this one would fall through. In saying that, I do wish they had gone bolder with the design, height, etc.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 4:17 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Woah! You're right. I did hear from the bishop, except it was the "wife's uncle" not aunt who knew the person related to the priest below him. He says he's been praying for this one and that the heavens are currently drawing up a 1,000 footer for the post office site.

I really don't know why the hotel hasn't been announced and unfortunately I wasn't provided with that info. All I know is that Magellan is at least operating as if this is definitely a go. I really don't think the large project in Chicago will have a huge impact on this. Magellan has practically been printing buildings in the LakeShore East district in Chicago, and I just see no reason why this one would fall through. In saying that, I do wish they had gone bolder with the design, height, etc.
Thanks for being intelligent enough to know that I was kidding around. And I do hope that heaven's plan may soon be revealed to us on Earth

I do wish this project comes to fruition. However, I just do not have much hope at the moment. If I am wrong, great! If I am correct, well, I hope what ever gets built on this site is far better than Magellan's current design.

Again, I agree with you that a bolder and taller design would have been much better. However, I know that would have cost much more. Which is the reason I believe this is a small, almost afterthought project for Magellan. I believe they may be more focused on their higher profile projects. And, if this project does get built, is this a loss for Austin? A bland building on one of the few remaining lots not encumbered by a CVC!?! I wish the design and height could have been more exciting to get behind.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 5:42 AM
Meh

Cut out the non-sense, guys.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Cut out the non-sense, guys.
Sorry Kevin

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 9:36 PM

The 180 day extension to the site plan application expired on December 15, and there have been no updates since then. But the status of the application was changed around that time to "Waiting on legal". I haven't seen that status before.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11232989

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 9:41 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Huh.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The 180 day extension to the site plan application expired on December 15, and there have been no updates since then. But the status of the application was changed around that time to "Waiting on legal". I haven't seen that status before.

So does this mean if there's a legal issue it will be able to proceed right after it's cleared up, or will they have to file the site plan again since it's expired now. Question about permitting: Basically, does the project have to start within the timeframe before the application expires to prevent the need for resubmission.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:39 PM

There was finally some new info added to the site plan. The status is still "waiting on legal", but a file containing a notarized document about a restrictive covenant dated mid-January was added. This most likely has something to do with the "waiting on legal".

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 4:42 AM

I still haven't given up on this one yet. There were permit updates in January regarding the removal of three trees on the site as well as the density bonus that the developers are seeking. March 2016 was given as a start date a while back, so they are not too far behind as of now.

I know a lot of posters here hated this project for the usual reasons - existence of a parking podium and a rectangular design. But I like it, and BKL still features this rendering on their website:

http://bklarchitecture.com/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 2:04 PM

I've been thinking about this one, too. Was pretty disappointed to see it NOT represented on Magellan's website.

Their developments are on the first page:

http://www.magellandevelopment.com/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 4:31 PM

I like this building, and I don't mind 3 story podiums. What I didn't like about one of the earlier renders was the 12 story knob on one side. I can live with another rectangular highrise because it has distinct sections, they just need to lose the knob, or transition the top of it into the side of the main building and not leaving the flat top, even though as is it would make a decent viewing area.

Last edited by the Genral; Apr 18, 2016 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 9:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

No updated renderings of the tower itself?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I guess there aren't. I'm assuming the the tower itself hasn't changed much since previous renderings.

Out of all the projects, I'm getting a bit impatient about this one. As far a placement in the skyline, this would do a lot for filling in the 5th street canyon effect. They need to hurry and do something.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 9:27 PM
Member since 2001

This project is in slightly better position then 99 Trinity. Meaning...don't hold your breath.

In fact, I'd rather this one to not be built in its current proposal. I'd rather the land go to another developer...one who would build something more aesthetically pleasing - and taller. Then again, I will not hold my breath for that to happen.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 10:16 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The gist of your post is that you definitely want us to keep breathing.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:54 AM
Meh

Yeah, I've filed this one in the meh folder. It's alright. It really is just another box with some nice modern touches - but for a building that will be standing in the way of the Frost Bank Tower, I think it should be better.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 5:08 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, I've filed this one in the meh folder. It's alright. It really is just another box with some nice modern touches - but for a building that will be standing in the way of the Frost Bank Tower, I think it should be better.
Oh I agree that something taller and with a better design be built, I think I'm just getting a bit impatient with some of these projects lol. That spot is deserving of a signature tower.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:32 PM

The permit that was added to the approved site plan shows that this was chopped down a little to 33-stories and 356'.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The permit that was added to the approved site plan shows that this was chopped down a little to 33-stories and 356'.

It's like every building in this city is 33 stories. Isn't that where the Proper is ending up? As well as the rest of the cluster on Shoal Creek?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin