HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 9:50 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRAISER View Post
I don't know if this has been asked already, and I apologize if it has, but a they still digging below the building for the new station?

Thanks!
Yes, it's been asked already, and no, there's been no news about this. I emailed someone at CTA a few weeks ago and was told that subway construction is still ongoing, but this was definitely off-the-record, and the guy wasn't too sure about it, since he's not involved with the project.

I guess the easiest way to find some information would just be to poke around the platform at Washington and see if they've cut into the walls of the State Street subway for the track connection yet.

CTA had an original planned completion date of September '08, so if they're on schedule, then they should be getting pretty far by now.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 2:41 PM

...........State Street is going to be totally transformed in 2009!

Set to open in 2009: B37 / Carson's rehab / Palmer House rehab & retail / Wit Hotel / CTA Superstation ............and the recent openings of Mo Mo & Ch7 studios !!! .....does anyone know what the huge rehab to the Page Bros Building is all about ? .....it's the building next to the Chicago Theatre with all the scaffolding around it......

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 7:14 PM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=30010

Block 37 bailout for CTA
By: Greg Hinz June 09, 2008

City Hall is planning another subsidy for Block 37 — this time a three-phased bailout of an el station under construction there that's running more than $100 million over budget.

Under plans that the Chicago Transit Authority board is scheduled to consider on Wednesday, the city would provide roughly $20 million in additional tax-increment financing funds for the "superstation" beneath the mixed-use project rising at Block 37, Crain's has learned.

....But people familiar with the matter say the new subsidies will cover only costs already incurred.

Until even more money is found, those people say, the semi-completed station will be mothballed...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I wonder if the ladies are satisfied with his unusual endowment.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:36 AM
Content provider

Block 69

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
I wonder if the ladies are satisfied with his unusual endowment.
like fitting a square peg into a round hole

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 11:47 PM

^^^^ now that's funny!

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...rticleId=30010

Block 37 bailout for CTA
By: Greg Hinz June 09, 2008

City Hall is planning another subsidy for Block 37 — this time a three-phased bailout of an el station under construction there that's running more than $100 million over budget.

Under plans that the Chicago Transit Authority board is scheduled to consider on Wednesday, the city would provide roughly $20 million in additional tax-increment financing funds for the "superstation" beneath the mixed-use project rising at Block 37, Crain's has learned.

....But people familiar with the matter say the new subsidies will cover only costs already incurred.

Until even more money is found, those people say, the semi-completed station will be mothballed...
It would seem that the city will need to come up with a solution. A mothballed transit station won't help their Olympic bid.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:04 AM
you know where I'll be

I would love an explanation of how the underground construction bill is already around $300 mil. - even given construction cost inflation, more complicated utility relocation than originally planned for, and let's face it - I don't think anyone would be surrised if you had the obligatory government project poor planning/cost overruns, etc, $300 mil. or so seems really high for the amount of work done (that we are generally aware of that has occurred)...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Just curious, but any idea who they are planning to hire to liquidate the old studio equipment? You can PM me if you think this is getting off topic.
If im not mistaken its allready sold to the buyer

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I would love an explanation of how the underground construction bill is already around $300 mil. - even given construction cost inflation, more complicated utility relocation than originally planned for, and let's face it - I don't think anyone would be surrised if you had the obligatory government project poor planning/cost overruns, etc, $300 mil. or so seems really high for the amount of work done (that we are generally aware of that has occurred)...
.....the $300M has to just about cover the whole project ?!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Not that you are wrong because I am sure you are right, but something about the bidding system in Illinois. It happened with the Brown line too...and it isn't just because of overruns and normal inflation and stuff.

The system is broke as far as estimating these projects.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:53 AM

At the 10:00pm newscasts they announced that they are just started to put together the new studio newsdesk..
and said they expect to start broadcasting from there first or second week July...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 7:04 PM

Quote:
You new here? LOL. This is Chicago...it sucks, but its the way things usually wind up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 8:42 PM

CTA halts over-budget Loop superstation
By: Greg Hinz June 11, 2008
(Crain’s) — Chicago Transit Authority officials Wednesday finally conceded that the “superstation” under construction beneath Block 37 in the Loop is way over budget — “in excess of $100 million” — and announced that the half-completed facility will be indefinitely mothballed while they search for a private partner to finance its completion.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=29790

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 8:45 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

^^ what a failure.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 8:59 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Indeed, especially since I am guessing that retrofitting the NCS Metra Line to run from Union to O'Hare would at the end of the day been cheaper, efficient, and more dependable.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 9:16 PM
Windy City Dan

I'm honestly not surprised. The CTA is always crying poormouth and almost shut down on three separate occasions last year alone. I think its funny that Chicago being a "green" city, and yet the CTA is so under funded, or maybe just poorly managed.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 10:40 AM

June 10

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 2:43 PM

22 W. Washington yesterday:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive