HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 10:59 PM

I won't deny that the Anitquities Act is a pretty undemocratic process. And I do think it should probably go to Congresss, on that basis alone.

The problem I have is that if it was up to Utah, half of these parks and monuments would be reduced in size. Keeping it as monuments and park land is the only way to protect it from destructive oil, gas, and coal development.

It's also true that the Antiquities Act has this language in it:
"and may reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected".

So that's not conservative propaganda (trust me, I'm far from conservative), but it IS very open to interpretation and I think the courts should determine how far the president's power should extend and whether Congress should have any say in it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:15 PM

I was beat to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I'm not going to make a conclusive accusation but that sounds like a load of conservative misinformation. The difference between a national monument and a park is that national monuments are created by the president without approval by congress. All parks are almost always larger, but it would be entirely possible to designate a small national park. And tons of national monuments are expanded frequently. I'm sure that the government doesn't want to have to assume special designations for land that they don't want to have to spend more to manage, but even if this rule was an actual guideline, it wouldn't be a justification to shrink a national monument. If monuments had to be as small as possible, I dont think any would exist in the first place.
This is a subject that I am familiar with from college and here is some of the language used related to how a president can use his/her power. Another side note is this act was originally conceived as a tool to protect ruins from First Nation peoples. It has since morphed into whatever people think is worthy of monument status.

"Sec. 2. That the President of the United States is hereby authorized, in his discretion, to declare by public proclamation historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States to be national monuments, and may reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected: Provided, That when such objects are situated upon a tract covered by a bona fied unperfected claim or held in private ownership, the tract, or so much thereof as may be necessary for the proper care and management of the object, may be relinquished to the Government, and the Secretary of the Interior is hereby authorized to accept the relinquishment of such tracts in behalf of the Government of the United States."

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I won't deny that the Anitquities Act is a pretty undemocratic process. And I do think it should probably go to Congresss, on that basis alone.

The problem I have is that if it was up to Utah, half of these parks and monuments would be reduced in size. Keeping it as monuments and park land is the only way to protect it from destructive oil, gas, and coal development.

It's also true that the Antiquities Act has this language in it:
"and may reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected".

So that's not conservative propaganda (trust me, I'm far from conservative), but it IS very open to interpretation and I think the courts should determine how far the president's power should extend and whether Congress should have any say in it.
I would suggest that not getting the outcome you want isn't a great reason to not support a more democratic process. Far too often we are for democracy and "the voice of the people" unless it returns results we find offensive or unwise.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:21 PM

Says they're going to cut out Peek-a-boo and Spooky?!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:37 PM

They’re cutting out quite a few of GSENM’s biggest draws... including coyote Gulch, one of the more famous places. It seems that the new boundaries cut out a lot of the cool areas while protecting areas that by comparison are nothing special.

I’d be interested to overlay the coal fields located under the monument on top of the new boundaries...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 6:55 AM

Westerners fought preserving the Grand Canyon, just as they have with the 34 national monuments President Obama designated or enlarged. On the Grand Canyon, Roosevelt’s answer was simple.

“Leave it as it is,” Roosevelt said. “You cannot improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it.”

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I would suggest that not getting the outcome you want isn't a great reason to not support a more democratic process. Far too often we are for democracy and "the voice of the people" unless it returns results we find offensive or unwise.
That's why I want the courts to decide it. It's the only branch of government that's actually doing their job right now.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 7:46 AM

Quote:

1)Utah has no claim to the land. The Utah Enabling Act(granting Utah statehood) explicitly states that the federal government will not grant Utah that land.

2)National Monuments are managed by the BLM. So declaring BLM land a national monument only makes the use of BLM more restrictive. It is still BLM land. It doesn't protect it from the state. The state would have no say regardless of whether it was a Monument or not.

3)Don't worry about the coal. Nobody will dig it up. If coal ever recovers it will be long after the Trump administration. Who's going to gamble on a huge investment when the market is already over saturated and the whole project may be completely lost after the next election?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 12:59 PM

Very impressed with the rapid transformation of Central Ninth. I like the scale of the projects and how they fit so well into the neighborhood. Thanks Isaac and Mike for the phenomenal updates

Downtown Adj. - Central Ninth Neighborhood - Update, Five Central Ninth projects are nearing completion

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/pic...tinues-part-1/

The 900 South TRAX station is the transportation hub of the Central Ninth. Photo by Mike Fife.

https://i1.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com/

Jefferson Walkway Project
Built by Benchmark Modern, Jefferson Walkway consists of six new detached for sale cottage homes as well as one older house that has been relocated several yards to the south
and will feature a new accessory dwelling unit (ADU) over a garage in the back of the restored home. The development sits neatly in between single-family homes and is directly east
of the 900 South TRAX station. Each two-story home features an outdoor patio. Parking for the cottage homes will be an uncovered space off the north/south alleyway that bisects
the development.

Jefferson Walkway from Jefferson Street looking northwest. Restored home is on the left, new cottage homes on the right. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Jefferson Walkway features a public sidewalk running mid-block between Jefferson Street and 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

Ruby Townhomes Project
The Ruby development includes 12 for sale townhomes on the west side of West Temple between 800 and 900 South. The project is by CW Urban and will consist of four buildings,
with garages accessed from the interior of the lot. Three lots were combined for this project, two vacant, and one with an older home which was demolished. Six of the units will front
West Temple and the other six will front the alley running behind the development.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/

The Ruby townhouse development on the 800 south block of West Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Alinea Lofts
A mixed-use development by LandForge Inc., Alinéa Lofts is under construction on the northeast corner of 900 South and 200 West,
north of the Central Ninth Market and just east of the 900 South TRAX station. This project will have 24 for sale units that will be mostly
townhomes with some condo units above groundfloor retail space fronting 900 South.

https://cdn.corecanvas.com/

The Alinéa Lofts under construction at 200 West and 900 South. The Greenprint Apartments can be seen in the back
and are being built across the street on 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The C-9 Row House
While the Central Ninth Market appears to be a finished project, it is actually the first phase of a two-phase development. Atlas Architects plan to build the C9 Row Houses,
a four-unit single-family attached development that will be directly south of Laziz Kitchen and the Central Ninth Market.

https://i0.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com/

The site of the upcoming Central Ninth Row House development. Photo by Mike Fife.

This Market is just too cool!!
The Central Ninth Market

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/

The Central Ninth Market along 900 South. Photo by Mike Fife.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
It will be interesting to watch how the courts apply the law and Constitutional provisions. The Supreme Court as currently constructed is fairly liberal regarding giving Presidents and Congress power to do things if it is reasonably in their realm. They cut President Obama a lot of slack on some of his more controversial and Constitutionally vague/questionable executive orders.

This is an issue I agree with the Trump administration on only if it comes with a call for Congress to take up the issue and make a longer lasting decision or as was said by having a new law that expects the states to submit the request. The way it is done now is quite literally the LEAST democratic process possible. You have presidents who wait until they are complete lame ducks and the election is over so no political repercussions are on the line, and then they issue an executive order without any due process in the public sphere. On the local level we freak out if any UTA decision is made without overwhelming public input, but some seem to be okay with these midnight decisions? At least the law should state that these monuments must be made before the presidential election so the process is a bit more democratic.
If we waited for Congress and/or the states to submit, we would have very, very few national parks. Every single one of Utah's national parks started as a national monument and the state of Utah opposed every single one of them.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:15 AM

Update - Downtown Adj. - Central Ninth's Evolution Continues, Part II...

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/pic...tinues-part-2/

The Greenprint Apartments
This development is a first for Salt Lake, a micro-unit rental community. The project contains 60 small studio-style units to the west of the 900 South TRAX station and is now leasing. This transit-oriented development has no on-site parking for residents. The project by Ruff Associates, replaces a single family home and a vacant lot and is targeted to people wanting a small living space as apartments will range from 250-350 square feet.

The Greenprint Apartments as seen from the Jefferson Walkway project. Photo by Mike Fife.

Washington Street Townhomes
Built by developer Daniel Jensen, these five rental townhouse units on the east side of the 900 south block of Washington Street are nearing completion.
Jensen is set to begin work shortly on the buildings to the north of this project. He will expand and add a second floor to the existing buildings for a total
of 5 additional units in phase two of this project.

The Washington Street Townhouses are under construction in the 900 south block of Washington St. Photo by Mike Fife.

TAG 945 & 950 Projects

Developers, TAG SLC*, plan to build two four-story apartment buildings on Washington Street. The buildings, TAG 950 and TAG 945, will occupy opposite sides of the street. Both buildings replace single family homes on small lots, 0.18 acres and 0.14 acres respectively.

Construction is expected to start on TAG 945 in the fall and on TAG 950 in 2018. Both buildings will be consist of three floors of residential living space above a ground-floor parking structure.

The TAG 945 building will consist of 12 residential units. Each unit will be around 800 square feet with six one-bed/one-bath units and six two-bed/one-bath units.

TAG 950 will be larger with 18 units that will be a mix of 0ne to three bedroom units. TAG 950 will replace a boarded-up home.

TAG 945

Rendering of TAG 950. Image courtesy TAG SLC.

TAG 950

Rendering of TAG 950. Image courtesy TAG SLC.

200 West Apartments
The 200 West Apartments built by Knowlton General will feature 50 one-bedroom units with a 30-stall parking structure and 20 surface spaces.
The three-story building is less than a block from the 900 South TRAX station and is built right up to the street level.

The 200 West Apartments are on the 900 south block of 200 west just north of the I-15 on/off ramps.

The TenFifteen Apartments
The nearly-completed 1015 Apartments were designed by Tuttle and Associates Architects and contains 54 residential units,
11 of which are reserved for renters earning 50 percent of the area median income (AMI). The four-story building is built right up
to the street level and includes 54 surface parking spaces that wrap around the back and south sides of the structure.

Looking north along 200 West at the TenFifteen Apartments. The TRAX station is just over a block to the north. Photo by Mike Fife.

C-9 Flats
The C9 Flats will consist of two six-story buildings that will be connected by a sky bridge. The project will consist of 97 residentail units.
The project spans the block along Goltz Avenue between Jefferson Street and 200 West. Construction crews are currently working on the parking structure.

Rendering...http://c9flats.com/

https://i2.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com/

Construction on the C9 Flats as seen from Goltz Avenue. Photo by Mike Fife.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 1:27 PM

All of the development in that area really makes me wish they would demolish the freeway flyover there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 1:36 PM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/...aw-apartments/

Regarding the ADU ordnance, I found this paragraph in the Trib article about it quite enlightening:
Quote:
What looks like a nod to NIMBY, or Not in My Back Yard, however, is more strategic than it appears. It turns out that cities that allow but initially limit ADUs by location later expand them citywide — because the neighborhoods that don’t get them at the outset end up wanting them. That finding is borne out by work done this semester, coincidentally, by a group at the University of Utah’s College of Architecture and Planning.

“We looked at eight cities and virtually all of them have gone with an incremental approach,” said Michael Larice, associate professor of urban design and city planning, who led a design studio on the subject with three Ph.D. and five master’s degree candidates. “After a while, after the program has proven itself, it’s gone universal, and it’s gone universal in every city we looked at so far.”
So I wouldn't be too worried about an incremental approach....it will happen.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:38 PM
Engineer

I've been back and forth on this Bears Ears thing and I'm not sure what to think, but there is a big difference between our older national parks and monuments and these new monuments when it comes to size. A quick comparison, listed in order of size:

Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument: 1,880,461 acres
Bears Ears National Monument: 1,351,849 acres
Canyonlands National Park: 337,598 acres
Capitol Reef National Park: 241,904 acres
Dinosaur National Monument: 210,844 acres
Zion National Park: 146,597 acres
Arches National Park: 76,679 acres
Bryce Canyon National Park: 35,835 acres

Bears Ears is about 4 times the size of Canyonlands, our largest national park (and if you've been to Canyonlands you know it is huge), and Grand Staircase Escalante is 500,000 acres bigger than Bears Ears. I see how that seems excessive. After the reductions, the new Bears Ears, or whatever they'll be calling it, will still be about the same size as Dinosaur, or about 50% bigger than Zion and Grand Staircase Escalante will still be way bigger than anything else.

On the other hand, it seems the eventual outcome state leaders want from these size reductions is the ability to drill or extract or something of the sort. Most state leaders have kept that quiet although a select few have opened up about it. I have no doubt in my mind that the majority of Utahns, as Republican as this state may be, would have a big problem with that.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:44 PM
Engineer

Quote:
All of the development in that area really makes me wish they would demolish the freeway flyover there.
Perhaps eventually it will be demolished, but for the time being I like that it is there. As long as Target, Walmart, and Lowe's and their huge parking lots occupy the area, I think the flyover does a good job to separate downtown adjacent areas from the big box stores. It makes them seem further outside of downtown than they are.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:08 PM

Thanks, but these monuments exist as protected lands. There is NOTHING "excessive" about the size of these monuments.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:34 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Perhaps eventually it will be demolished, but for the time being I like that it is there. As long as Target, Walmart, and Lowe's and their huge parking lots occupy the area, I think the flyover does a good job to separate downtown adjacent areas from the big box stores. It makes them seem further outside of downtown than they are.
I think they just replaced the bridges... so it will be there for a while

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:38 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Thanks, but these monuments exist as protected lands. There is NOTHING "excessive" about the size of these monuments.
I don’t think the federal government should have any control over a states land. It’s their job to operate our military and make sure the constitution is not violated... everything else about the federal government should go away and be left up to the states.... I would be all for the state of Utah protecting land (within reason) though.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:32 PM

^
That was the intent of the original Constitution as per the 10th amendment.

I don't think the argument that the state of Utah will make poor land use choices is a good argument for Federal control. The federal government can make poor decisions just as easily as the states. It makes sense for the states to have a say in how their land is used. Both of these National Monuments were created against the will of the state of Utah.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Says the person that’s never been to these places.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West