HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 6:59 PM

I think the point I'm trying to make is this. I'm not saying people should not drive. I'm saying people should not drive ONTO the island.

I get it that out-of-towners would be discouraged if there was no cars allowed. That's why an integral part of my suggestion is to build a big parking lot right at the mouth of the island. That way, people can still drive TO the island, just not ONTO the island.

Re. the distillery district vs Granville Island. I mean that we can use the Distillery as a model in the sense that it has a) a lot of very successful event programming (e.g., beer & wine festivals - which we have, circuses, private bookings, even film crew bookings, etc.) as well as very successful businesses that are not touristy (lots of artist studios and offices, not-for-profit offices, commercial businesses, tourism offices, etc.). We do some of those things really well on the island, I'm saying we could look into the mix they have there and do whatever is needed to attract more of the same to GI.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Not quite sure I follow that logic; you talk about a "Granville Mall effect" as if it's a negative thing, and then in the next breath you suggest putting in place a plan that would make the whole city like Granville Mall...so what is it, you do want cars or you don't want cars?

I don't understand the North American love for their cars! I'm suggesting people park their cars at the mouth of Granville Island in a car park, and then walk around the actual peninsula without worrying about their kids and grannies getting run over or breathing in pollution next to their fresh fruit, and you're saying you'd prefer the cars? What, is the walk from a car park at the mouth of Granville Island to the shops too far? Why wouldn't anybody support no cars on Granville Island - what are the advantages of cars on the island? If their absence means you can have MORE shops, MORE cafes, MORE outdoor space for performance and meeting and stalls, why would you say no to that?
than it would become disneyfied

as it is now its alive, its bustling, its real - people work there, they go to school and even live there (on the houseboats) etc. a lot of people i have taken loved parking on the wooden parking areas

people aren't all stupid they don't need nursemaiding - open your eyes and watch where you walk - watch out for cars etc. welcome to life and living

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 7:12 AM

djh - i personally wouldnt prefer the cars there, i dont even drive, but as long as everyone else does allowing cars is essential to the economic vitality of the island. we should make it as inconvenient as possible to drive there, just not go as far as an outright ban

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 7:29 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Well the can sure close a few of the streets off from traffic. Maybe car traffic should be directed right onto Cartwright Street (like it is now) and have cars only running around the island. The center should only be accessible by pedestrians. Cars should also have to pay for parking or be tolled when entering the island.

Streetcars can enter directly into the island and have a stop on Anderson Street underneath Granville Street Bridge.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 5:11 PM
Site 8 Lives

For what it's worth, I worked for a company that would hold its weekly meetings on the island -- there was usually about 6 or 7 of us. We would drive in -- in one vehicle -- drop $10-$15 each on breakfast. If not for the parking, there's no way we would be able to make the Island our weekly meet-up spot.

I agree though that some folks drive recklessly on the island, given the number of children/seniors walking around.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 8:52 PM
loafing in lotusland

It seems to work as it is. No one actually drives on the island. They only drive to get on or off of it.

It's walkable, and there are plenty of pedestrian only areas.

I don't think cars are the evil that is putting GI down at all.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 9:17 PM

My idea is to make the western half of the island a car-free pedestrian zone during the daytime. At night the island would basically be as it is now. Access to the pedestrian zones would be controlled by pop-up bollards. This would be accompanied by a redevelopment/repurposing of the existing parking within the pedestrian zones. On the eastern side of the island vehicle access would be maintained and the existing surface parking lots would be developed into multi-storey underground parking lots. At grade and above these could be new buildings, or parks, or whatever.

This is a crude, one-minute version of my idea.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues